PDA

View Full Version : Money At what point.....

luv
03-17-2011, 09:35 PM
At what point should you say bye-bye to your kids living at home?

At what point did you realize you had made it on your own?

At what point do you think you've been financially successful?

No, there's no personal motive for asking these questions. Nothing's going on. I follow a news station on facebook, and an anchor was posing some of these questions. Was a pretty good discussion.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Why dont we ask our resident "expert" on these matters: GoTurd

KurtCobain
03-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Question ONE

My Mom - Twelve

For Realz - 19 tops

Question two, I ain't made shit, life blows nuts, but I'm working on it.

Question Three

LMAO

luv
03-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I would say shortly after graduating from college, or a few years after graduating high school. Even if they have to come home a few times, the process should st least start by then.
The point where I realized I could afford to pay my bills without (or with very little) assistance. Any dollar amount would depend on the "standard" of living you expect to live with.
I'd say how ready we are to retire would be a good measure.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 09:46 PM
College aged child just moved back in, whatever it takes to get her through college. Wont make her move out, but hope desire and drive after college moves her out. lol.

Last 2 questions are loaded, do well, but at age 41, shifted more towards doing well after retiring. Success for everyone is different, depends on goals. Define successful.

LiveSteam
03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Question ONE

Question two, I ain't made shit, life blows nuts, but I'm working on it.

Question Three

LMAO
Can I borrow this ?

Phobia
03-17-2011, 09:59 PM

1. When they're ready to strike out on their own or when they feel they're no longer required to follow the rules of my house.

2. Will let you know when that happens.

3. When you become content with what you have and start caring more about what good things you can do with your money.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-17-2011, 10:03 PM
#1 My son's ass is out the door as soon as he's 18 unless he goes to college (not looking very likely at this point) or he gets a job and pays me rent and can learn how to clean up after himself (also not looking very likely at this point).

#2 Not sure I can pinpoint an exact moment.

#3 It depends on what your definition of "financially successful" is.

KurtCobain
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
3. When you become content with what you have and start caring more about what good things you can do with your money.

nice.

cdcox
03-17-2011, 10:20 PM
1. Depends on the kid. Generally I agree with Bugeater, but with our daughter we are not on this schedule due to some serious developmental roadblocks. We're working on it.

Bugeater: "#1 My son's ass is out the door as soon as he's 18 unless he goes to college (not looking very likely at this point) or he gets a job and pays me rent and can learn how to clean up after himself (also not looking very likely at this point)."

2. I got married about 6 weeks after graduating college at age 21. I did my first of two graduate school tours that first year and a half. We were pretty poor, but we were financially independent.

3. Heh.

luv
03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think there's a set way I could define financial success. That's going to depend on you and your priorities. Younger people probably define it more as what they can buy. At some point, maybe that turns into how much you can payoff, how many luxuries you can afford, or how much you can afford to give away (i.e. charity or children's education). Eventually, I think we could all define it as how well we've prepared ourselves for retirement.

JOhn
03-17-2011, 11:07 PM

#1 When I get tired of them, or vice versa

#2 when I can afford to take a trip to Florida

#3 see #2

:thumb:

CoMoChief
03-17-2011, 11:13 PM
#1 When I get tired of them, or vice versa

#2 when I can afford to take a trip to Florida

#3 see #2

:thumb:

I'll be in Florida next week.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 11:19 PM

That really depends on where they are in life. It's completely subjective but with that said, I'd never shut the door on my child.

Made it? What does that mean? No help from parents? If so, I supposed age 16, when I had to pay for my clothes, shoes, food and more while in high school.

Success is in the eye of the beholder.