PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues What's the latest on Egypt?

The Mad Crapper
03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Anybody know?

I haven't heard anything about Egypt lately.

BucEyedPea
03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Japan is getting all the attention right now. And they stole it from Libya.

patteeu
03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Don't worry. Obama will provide.

The Mad Crapper
03-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't worry. Obama will provide.

"We're the ones we have been waiting for, suckers!"

Barack Hussein Obama!

Mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_Coin_ExactChange_160.gif

Hopey Change™

Chief Faithful
03-18-2011, 02:15 PM
The Interior Ministry is keeping everything quiet by releasing political prisoners. Today they just released the brother of Ayman Al-Zawahiri.

http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article320419.ece

BucEyedPea
03-18-2011, 02:16 PM
The Interior Ministry is keeping everything quiet by releasing political prisoners. Today they just released the brother of Ayman Al-Zawahiri.

Uh oh! I don't like that release.

The Mad Crapper
03-18-2011, 02:17 PM

Awesome.

BucEyedPea
03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Do you know who Ayman Al-Zawahiri is? He's Osama's right-hand man. I believe he's more wanted by our govt as he's really the mastermind behind AQ with BL as the figurehead.

patteeu
03-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Do you know who Ayman Al-Zawahiri is? He's Osama's right-hand man. I believe he's more wanted by our govt as he's really the mastermind behind AQ with BL as the figurehead.

More wanted? Maybe. But he's been an enemy of the state in Egypt for nearly his entire adult life. I don't know if that will continue to be the case with the new government or not.

He spent a few years in jail after the roundup of radicals following the Sadat assassination. He's been a part of the radical fringes of Egyptian islamism seeking to overthrow the Egyptian government since he was a teenager.

HonestChieffan
03-18-2011, 05:47 PM

I thought you said we shouldn't care.

BucEyedPea
03-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I thought you said we shouldn't care.

Yeah, but what does that mean? It means to the point of intervening militarly. It doesn't mean liking something or not. It's you guys that claim to care about fighting terrorism and then this guy gets let out as a political prisoner? Be careful what you wish for...unintended consequences abound.

patteeu
03-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah, but what does that mean? It means to the point of intervening militarly. It doesn't mean liking something or not. It's you guys that claim to care about fighting terrorism and then this guy gets let out as a political prisoner? Be careful what you wish for...unintended consequences abound.

There are unintended consequences for doing nothing too.

BucEyedPea
03-18-2011, 07:23 PM
No there isn't. Key word has to do with "intended". There's nothing intended. You already know what you got and the oil deals with BP were made with the current govt—not the rebels.

How come you don't use the argument you're making here against the progressives on domestic issues 'huh?

patteeu
03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
No there isn't. Key word has to do with "intended". There's nothing intended. You already know what you got and the oil deals with BP were made with the current govt—not the rebels.

How come you don't use the argument you're making here against the progressives on domestic issues 'huh?

Of course there are. Sticking your head in the sand in an effort not to intend something doesn't prevent the world from continuing to move on despite your inattention.

I use appropriate arguments and consistent arguments in all arenas.

go bowe
03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
How come you don't use the argument you're making here against the progressives on domestic issues 'huh?oh honey, you're so cute...

like a baby swan, swimming in antifreeze...

The Mad Crapper
03-29-2011, 08:00 AM
If there were an award for stating the obvious when it comes to the Middle East, it would go to The New York Times. On its front page last Friday, the newspaper ran a story headlined, "Muslim Group is Rising Force in New Egypt."

What group would that be? Why, the Muslim Brotherhood, of course. We have been repeatedly assured by certain pundits and members of the Obama administration that the Brotherhood are a small minority with no major influence in Egypt and that those Cairo protesters clamoring for "democracy" that led to the downfall of President Hosni Mubarak would be the ones to chart the country's future. Each time another myth is busted, the deniers of what is happening throughout the region simply create a new myth, one they desperately cling to against all evidence to the contrary.

It would be well for the willfully blind to memorize the motto of the Muslim Brotherhood: "Allah is our objective, the Prophet is our leader; the Quran is our law; dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope." Got that?

The London Daily Telegraph interviewed Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, leader of the rebellion in Libya. He admitted some of the rebels have ties to al-Qaida, but not to worry. Hasidi claimed that even members of al-Qaida "are patriots and good Muslims, not terrorists." Sure they are. We should take them at their word, even though they have been known to lie. At what point do we begin to wake up to this nonsense? Is anyone at the State Department paying attention? How about the White House?

President Obama has been forced by growing criticism to better explain his non-policy in Libya and his reasoning behind bombing the country without deposing Moammar Gadhafi. The president went to the United Nations Security Council for a resolution, not Congress, for constitutional approval to launch air strikes on Libya. Perhaps this is an extension of his stated belief that America is no more exceptional than any other country. "While regime change in Libya is the U.S. policy," reports ABC News, "Gadhafi's removal is not the goal of the operation." No, President Obama tells us the U.S. is in Libya "to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe." Huh?

What about Syria where security forces are shooting civilians in the streets on the apparent orders of President Bashar al-Assad? Under the new "humanitarian" rules of engagement, shouldn't president Obama send bombers to Syria? Will the U.S. seek authorization from the U.N. for military air strikes there? And then there is Bahrain where thousands of protesters spilled into the streets last week after Friday prayers and were confronted by security forces firing tear gas and pellets. Can live ammunition be far behind?

http://townhall.com/columnists/calthomas/2011/03/29/a_gift_for_the_obvious

"We're the ones we have been waiting for, suckers!"

Barack Hussein Obama!

Mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_Coin_ExactChange_160.gif

Hopey Change™

The Mad Crapper
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
As of now, I don't think we have any reason to fear that a new Egyptian government in the wake of Mubarack stepping out of power will be very anti-American compared to the current regime.

Several things:

1. We still shovel about a billion a year to the government. Any government to which you gift a billion dollars to is going to be slightly more than willing to resist any anti-Americanism by its population.

2. Under the Obama administration, America actually polls extremely well compared to where we were three years ago. In 2008, 70+% Egyptians had negative reactions to America, with only 16% positive. Under the Obama administration, we now poll a thousand times better there: 45% positive to only 29% negative (http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/poll-egyptian-publics-views-toward-united-states-are-much-improved/). This is a wow, and it's important to keep in mind because it is no longer hugely popular to bash America in order to attain power in Egypt.

3. Populations moderate, time and time again, when they are given the ability to govern themselves. (This is subject to extreme exceptions, like Palestine, who constantly feel threatened of annihilation.)

My point is that we are rightly concerned for a democratic Egypt if it means a loss of American advantage in the region. However, I simply don't think it does. I think the American government can continue to work with a democratic Egypt, and work extremely well.

LMAO

patteeu
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Don't worry about it, Mad Crapper. Obama has this under control and if you or I were able to understand such complex things, we'd see that Obama's actions really do make sense rather than being the incoherent cluster**** that they appear to be.