PDA

View Full Version : Science We aren't going to the moon so the 'Super'Moon is coming to us

Mr. Laz
03-18-2011, 05:01 PM
'Supermoon' Visible This Weekend
The Huffington Post Dean Praetorius First Posted: 03/18/11 09:47 AM Updated: 03/18/11 01:30 PM

Saturday's full moon will be a supermoon.

A supermoon is a new or full moon that happens to coincide with a close approach of the moon to the earth. Saturday's full moon will be the closest it has been to Earth in 18 years, according to Spaceweather.com.

The distance between the Earth and the moon during the event will be about 221,567 miles, as compared to the average distance of 238,000 miles, according to Space.com.

That may not seem like much of a difference (and compared to the distance it's not), but the diameter of the moon is only 2,159 miles. That means the moon will be over 7.5 diameters closer to Earth than average.

While many believe the 'supermoon' can be linked to natural disasters (namely the Japan earthquake), Space.com says that's not the case.

From Space.com:

It was astrologer Richard Nolle who linked the full moon of March 19 to natural disasters. He claimed that this "supermoon" would trigger massive earthquakes, volcanoes and powerful storms when it arrived. But scientists assure that this is not the case.

[Noted NASA scientist Jim] Garvin, for example, said the moon's effects on Earth have been the subject of extensive studies.

"The effects on Earth from a supermoon are minor, and according to the most detailed studies by terrestrial seismologists and volcanologists, the combination of the moon being at its closest to Earth in its orbit, and being in its 'full moon' configuration (relative to the Earth and sun), should not affect the internal energy balance of the Earth since there are lunar tides every day," Garvin wrote.

The supermoon is also often linked to astrological changes. Lynn Hayes of beliefnet detailed some of those potential changes here, though also ties the moon to Earth's motions and many theories that have been challenged by NASA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/18/supermoon-march-19-lunar-perigee_n_837220.html

JD10367
03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I thought a supermoon was what you got if Kirstie Alley bent over.

Rain Man
03-18-2011, 07:27 PM
This is the perfect time to build a giant slingshot and get supplies for a lunar base up there.

Hog Farmer
03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
So , the Earthquake in California hit's at Ohhhhh.... I say 7 pm.... no that's too early , 10 pm Central, tomorrow. So long Buck ,see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

seclark
03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
just went out and looked at it. no biggie. so, tomorrow it's gonna be a lot bigger?
sec

Just Passin' By
03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
This is the perfect time to build a giant slingshot and get supplies for a lunar base up there.

Just use the house from "UP" and add a few more balloons.

pr_capone
03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I9MZNEXrElw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just Passin' By
03-18-2011, 07:52 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I9MZNEXrElw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rebecca Black will be covering this for Ark Music Factory.

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2011, 05:44 AM
It's Full Worm Moon, when worms come to the softend surface. Also known as Sap Moon, when the sap starts flowing through the living wood again.

Tonight is Super Full Worm Sap Moon. Something is going to get ****ed tonight. Make sure you're the **** er.

Over-Head
03-19-2011, 05:46 AM
If you can't get lucky tonight...
Your name is Clay

JD10367
03-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Your name is Clay

Don't assume. The post you reference didn't say it had to be with a woman. It could be with a man, a farm animal, a blowup doll, or a Fleshlight<sup>TM</sup>.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Hmmm? I was going to drive out to the mountains tonight and try my hand at taking some moon photos with my camera. BUT, as fate would have it, that old hide, mother nature, is rolling in cloud cover tonight. Next time I run into Mother Nature, I'm going to have to give her a swift cowboy boot kick to the beaver.

Dr. Van Halen
03-19-2011, 07:38 AM
I thought a supermoon was what you got if Kirstie Alley bent over.

That was hilarious and timely! Do you know any Monica Lewinsky jokes??

(Kirstie Alley is an Operating Thetan level 7, I wouldn't make jokes about her for fear of John Travolta acting at you.)

bevischief
03-19-2011, 07:41 AM
I thought super moon was a fat guy or woman with their pants down...

Over-Head
03-19-2011, 08:17 AM
That was hilarious and timely! Do you know any Monica Lewinsky jokes?

Knock yer self out :thumb:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/cs/zippergate/a/blmonicajokes.htm

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 08:30 AM
But, but, Teedubya said its all over for California and told me I should know better.

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Hmmm? I was going to drive out to the mountains tonight and try my hand at taking some moon photos with my camera. BUT, as fate would have it, that old hide, mother nature, is rolling in cloud cover tonight. Next time I run into Mother Nature, I'm going to have to give her a swift cowboy boot kick to the beaver.

Do it twice for me. She's been hosing me bad lately.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Do it twice for me. She's been hosing me bad lately.

Hey, I'm counting on you to get the shots tonight Dave and post them! Tell me it's going to be a clear night in your neck of the woods.

Over-Head
03-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Ok, now I finally know why the moon seemed so damn big one night back in my trucking days.
Really cold clear night, I weas zipping along, and the moon was probably larger than I could ever remember it being...looked like I could reach out and touch it.
Must have been one of these occurances.

And yeah Bwana, I hope Dave has a clear night too.
Knowing the space buff he is, I'm betting some great pic's will follow

RaiderH8r
03-19-2011, 08:53 AM

I think natural beaver is a federally protected species so be careful.

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey, I'm counting on you to get the shots tonight Dave and post them! Tell me it's going to be a clear night in your neck of the woods.

I'm dead in the water, cloudy and thunderstorms tonite. Also I don't have a camera that would work with the moon. Its so frikken bright. I tried a 1/1000th of a second exposure the other night on it and it was still too bright. Need to get a less sensitive camera because even Saturn is too bright to record.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 08:57 AM
I think natural beaver is a federally protected species so be careful.

:hmmm:

Will do, thanks for the tip! LMAO

Bwana
03-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm dead in the water, cloudy and thunderstorms tonite. Also I don't have a camera that would work with the moon. Its so frikken bright. I tried a 1/1000th of a second exposure the other night on it and it was still too bright. Need to get a less sensitive camera because even Saturn is too bright to record.

Ouch, same here. :banghead:

BCD
03-19-2011, 09:00 AM
My forecast is PC. I should get a view.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 09:02 AM
My forecast is PC. I should get a view.

Do you have a camera that will take a decent shot?

jAZ
03-19-2011, 09:22 AM
The "supermoon" causes earth quakes? That's stupid. I can imagine you might feel like the moon being closer to the earth might have some effect, but what part is bright and what part is dark (the other 1/2 of a super moon) doesn't have anything to do with anything.

BCD
03-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Do you have a camera that will take a decent shot?A 5mp on my Droid :thumb:

Bwana
03-19-2011, 09:31 AM
A 5mp on my Droid :thumb:

LMAO

Well alright then. Let it rip and post her up tonight, big dog!

Rausch
03-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Rebecca Black will be covering this for Ark Music Factory.

When Katy Perry does a cover It'll hit number 1...

Over-Head
03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
would a light gel like the type used on par cans for spot lights etc, work at all?

I know nothing about cameras, shutter speeds or light filtering btw,,,,,

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Don't assume. The post you reference didn't say it had to be with a woman. It could be with a man, a farm animal, a blowup doll, or a Fleshlight<sup>TM</sup>.

On a night like tonight, it does not matter. Like the tines of a leaf rake, its destine to get bent.

Buck
03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5BmEGm-mraE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scott free
03-19-2011, 01:44 PM
All i know, is that if its made out of spare ribs i'd definitely take a bite & then polish it all off with a tall, cool Budweiser...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w3gl4ERlmeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BCD
03-19-2011, 07:40 PM
It looks a tad brighter. Thats about it. I wish I had a telescope though.

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Here you go a guy I know took this a little bit ago...