PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Joe Biden invokes a rape comparison while criticizing Republicans

healthpellets
03-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Stay classy, Joe... :banghead:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/150799-biden-mentions-rape-in-criticizing-gop

Biden mentions rape in criticizing Republicans

By Sam Youngman - 03/18/11 06:47 PM ET

Vice President Joe Biden, speaking at a fundraiser in Philadelphia Friday, compared Republicans in Congress to people who excuse rapists by blaming their victims.

The vice president, known for speaking his mind and at times putting his foot in his mouth, said that Republicans who want to cut spending while at the same time cutting taxes for the wealthy are similar to rape apologists.

In setting up his comparison, the vice president explained to the audience that before the Violence Against Women Act that he championed was passed into law, “there was this attitude in our society of blaming the victim," according to a press pool account of the event.

“When a woman got raped, blame her because she was wearing a skirt too short, she looked the wrong way or she wasn't home in time to make the dinner,” Biden said.

“We've gotten by that,” he said. “But it's amazing how these Republicans, the right wing of this party – whose philosophy threw us into this God-awful hole we’re in, gave us the tremendous deficit we’ve inherited – that they’re now using, now attempting to use, the very economic condition they have created to blame the victim – whether it’s organized labor or ordinary middle-class working men and women. It's bizarre. It's bizarre.”

After Biden's appearance at the fundraiser, his office tried to focus on the economic message.

"The vice president was obviously making the point that on any issue, we shouldn't blame the victim," Biden spokeswoman Elizabeth Alexander said. "Blaming workers or union members for states' fiscal crises – an argument made by some Republican governors – isn't the answer."

President Obama has tapped Biden to be his lead negotiator with congressional Republicans on the budget.

Republicans quickly seized on Biden's comments with the party's House campaign arm calling them "tasteless and offensive."

"As much as Vice President Biden should retract this specific statement, he should apologize for comparing our country’s dismal economic situation to such horrid acts as violence against women,” said Joanna Burgos, spokeswoman for the National Republican Campaign Committee (NRCC).

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) raised about $400,000 from the fundraiser in Philadelphia. The DCCC raised more money than its Republican counterpart in February and January.

Chiefshrink
03-19-2011, 02:03 AM
I said way back when Obama selected Biden that the press sec would have his or her hands full with all his gaffes, 'BUT' entertaining to watch.

banyon
03-19-2011, 09:56 AM
What quote above "uses" rape to criticize Republicans?

healthpellets
03-19-2011, 09:59 AM
What quote above "uses" rape to criticize Republicans?

In setting up his comparison, the vice president explained to the audience that before the Violence Against Women Act that he championed was passed into law, “there was this attitude in our society of blaming the victim," according to a press pool account of the event.

“When a woman got raped, blame her because she was wearing a skirt too short, she looked the wrong way or she wasn't home in time to make the dinner,” Biden said.

“We've gotten by that,” he said. “But it's amazing how these Republicans, the right wing of this party – whose philosophy threw us into this God-awful hole we’re in, gave us the tremendous deficit we’ve inherited – that they’re now using, now attempting to use, the very economic condition they have created to blame the victim – whether it’s organized labor or ordinary middle-class working men and women. It's bizarre. It's bizarre.”

and that's the last time i'm doing your homework for you.

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Wasn't Biden supposed to be the experienced, 'steady hand' on foreign policy? Maybe it's time for him to start on that.

Bewbies
03-19-2011, 03:58 PM
If Biden isn't the stupidest son of a bitch that's ever sat in his office....

mikey23545
03-19-2011, 04:24 PM
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/7032/igorcomeobamabiden.jpg (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/igorcomeobamabiden.jpg/)

banyon
03-19-2011, 05:02 PM
and that's the last time i'm doing your homework for you.

You still didn't do it. You appear to be conflating the term from one part of the speech with a separate statement in the other part of the speech.

Try to narrow it down to the sentence (hint: the sentence where "rape" is used is actually about rape, not politics).

I mean Joe Biden makes plenty of gaffes, but this is small potatoes as it goes.

(another hint for the reading-impaired: The "comparison" is actually about blaming victims in general.)

HonestChieffan
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
You are an embarrassment. Defending this loon? Goodness.

The Mad Crapper
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
You still didn't do it. You appear to be conflating the term from one part of the speech with a separate statement in the other part of the speech.

Try to narrow it down to the sentence (hint: the sentence where "rape" is used is actually about rape, not politics).

(another hint for the reading-impaired: The "comparison" is actually about blaming victims in general.)

Moonbatspeak translation: Obama and Biden are immortal gods; how dare anyone criticize them. Let's talk about important things: Strip bars in Kansas and Bush's secretary of the interior calling golf courses wetlands.

banyon
03-19-2011, 07:48 PM
You are an embarrassment. Defending this loon? Goodness.

Great reply as usual. I love the part where you attacked the substance of my post.

I'm an embarrassment? Loon? He's the VP of the US. Pot/Kettle, much?

You're pretty much part responsible for this forum turning into a worthless sh*t-out-your-inbox/rss feed and-hi-five-with your-knuckledragging-colleagues festival.

If you were actually capable of debate, you might try pointing out what was illogical about the comparison.

HonestChieffan
03-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Great reply as usual. I love the part where you attacked the substance of my post.

You're pretty much part responsible for this forum turning into a worthless sh*t-out-your-inbox/rss feed and-hi-five-with your-knuckledragging-colleagues festival.

If you were actually capable of debate, you might try pointing out what was illogical about the comparison.

What I enjoy most about your posts is how shallow and foolish you come across time after time.

Ignore the value of facts and news and continue with your silly and poorly defended defense of this administration.

You are are least consistent. You and Biden deserve each other. Biden makes Agnew look like a rocket scientist. You cannot be proud of your party unless you are as shallow as your consistent personalization attacks on those you disagree with.

banyon
03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
What I enjoy most about your posts is how shallow and foolish you come across time after time.

Ignore the value of facts and news and continue with your silly and poorly defended defense of this administration.

You are are least consistent. You and Biden deserve each other. Biden makes Agnew look like a rocket scientist. You cannot be proud of your party unless you are as shallow as your consistent personalization attacks on those you disagree with.

I didn't defend them, I attacked the silly criticism. It's par for the course that you can't tell the difference. Those actions are not equivalent.

I am not proud of Obama or the Democrats, they have governed like spineless jellyfish for 2 years, and then they deservedly lost control and now can't do anything. If you were really "honest" (which couldn't be further from reality) then you'd know that the vast majority of my posts which are actually directed toward Obama and not at batting down baseless criticisms are actually pretty negative for the most part.

PRIEST
03-20-2011, 08:01 AM

If you were actually capable of debate, you might try pointing out what was illogical about the comparison.\

Exactly :thumb:

Jaric
03-21-2011, 08:03 AM
So is he saying that the Unions got raped and the Republicans are the rapists?

I've spent the last 10 minutes reading this and that's the only way it makes even a bit of sense.

Jaric
03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
I didn't defend them, I attacked the silly criticism.Wait, you don't think that was a stupid statement for Biden to make?

JonesCrusher
03-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Wait, you don't think that was a stupid statement for Biden to make?

I think he said the rich are the rapists and taxes are the raped......I think.

JonesCrusher
03-21-2011, 08:36 AM
OOps I meant to quote jaric's previous post.

Chief Faithful
03-21-2011, 10:21 AM

a·nal·o·gy   /əˈnælədʒi/ Show Spelled
[uh-nal-uh-jee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -gies.
1. a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
2. similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.
3. Biology . an analogous relationship.
4. Linguistics .
a. the process by which words or phrases are created or re-formed according to existing patterns in the language, as when shoon was re-formed as shoes, when -ize is added to nouns like winter to form verbs, or when a child says foots for feet.
b. a form resulting from such a process.
5. Logic . a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similar to another thing in a certain respect, on the basis of the known similarity between the things in other respects.

patteeu
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
The thread title seems right to me.