PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports SCCA Competitors?

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm participating in my first SCCA Solo tomorrow. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

bevischief
03-19-2011, 07:50 AM
What does one do at a SCCA event?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I've done it a few times years ago out at Arrowhead.

What class are you in?

If you can, walk the course with someone who knows what they are doing...

dtebbe
03-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Get a kart and do some real wheel-wheel racing!

DT

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 09:53 AM
I've done it a few times years ago out at Arrowhead.

What class are you in?

If you can, walk the course with someone who knows what they are doing...

D Stock. Just taking my car with all weather street tires.

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 09:59 AM
What does one do at a SCCA event?

They set up a driving course with cones in an open parking lot. Competitors run individually for time. They have stock classes for everything from a Lotus to Gremlin and classes for various levels of modification.

MIAdragon
03-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm more of a road course racer, but the more you know your car the better you will be. Don't worry about your times the first few times out. What will you be driving?

CrazyPhuD
03-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Make sure your lugnuts are tight!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vnwf2JWcgg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm more of a road course racer, but the more you know your car the better you will be. Don't worry about your times the first few times out. What will you be driving?

Infiniti G35x. If the heats workout correctly, I'll try to ride with a buddy first.

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Make sure your lugnuts are tight!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vnwf2JWcgg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good call. Looks like that really hurt his time.

pr_capone
03-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm plan on getting started with SCCA competitions this summer depending on whether the wife finds a job or not. If she is working next school year, I'll be competing in a 2003 Ford Focus SVT.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Live your life a quarter mile at a time.

D-Train6906
03-19-2011, 01:03 PM
You going out to Yoder tomorrow?

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
You going out to Yoder tomorrow?

Yep. That's the one.

D-Train6906
03-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Yep. That's the one.

Cool. I think I might be going for the first time as well. A friend of mine works on the Wichita State SAE car and he's done it a few times with his car. Like someone said above, walking the track with someone who has done this before is a very good idea.

JASONSAUTO
03-19-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm plan on getting started with SCCA competitions this summer depending on whether the wife finds a job or not. If she is working next school year, I'll be competing in a 2003 Ford Focus SVT.
Funny just this week I installed all new suspension on my customers focus svt.

New sway bars. Bushings, links, struts mounts springs shocks ......handles awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone
03-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Funny just this week I installed all new suspension on my customers focus svt.

New sway bars. Bushings, links, struts mounts springs shocks ......handles awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

What was the total cost on that? I'm getting some creaking and groaning from my front end... prolly about time to look at some suspension help.

WebGem
03-19-2011, 02:35 PM
You spelled SCSA wrong, dude.

And that's the bottom line...

JASONSAUTO
03-19-2011, 02:35 PM
What was the total cost on that? I'm getting some creaking and groaning from my front end... prolly about time to look at some suspension help.

He brought all eibach stuff so I cant say there.

My part for everything front and rear with a4 wheel alignment was 240.00

Should have been more but I like to do that kind of shit.

Where are you at? When you are ready I could probably save you some money in labor and we could knock that out on a saturday.
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone
03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
He brought all eibach stuff so I cant say there.

My part for everything front and rear with a4 wheel alignment was 240.00

Should have been more but I like to do that kind of shit.

Where are you at? When you are ready I could probably save you some money in labor and we could knock that out on a saturday.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm in Wichita... good ways away. Thx tho!

JASONSAUTO
03-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah that is a ways.

Well the offer stands man.
Posted via Mobile Device

trndobrd
03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Cool. I think I might be going for the first time as well. A friend of mine works on the Wichita State SAE car and he's done it a few times with his car. Like someone said above, walking the track with someone who has done this before is a very good idea.

Are you going to be driving? I'll be in the black car running over all the cones.

MIAdragon
03-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Are you going to be driving? I'll be in the black car running over all the cones.

just have fun, you're going to suck big time the first few outings.

Barret
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
If you are going to be out there for a bit make sure you bring a lot of liquids. Also bring some cover or find some to get out of the sun. Not sure where you are but in Texas the sun starts beating on you and that added with driving the car at your maximum can get you tired very quickly.

Also if you want to video tape your next time I was thinking of getting one of these. www.gopro.com. I think SCCA requires you wear a helmet and these things are small enough to mount on the side.

Torque Wrench for the Lug nuts. Make sure to check after every run.

Not sure if D Class allows you to run a different type of brake fluid but if they do try getting something that is better then the stock stuff.

Other then that have fun and post your times and where you ranked for the day.

trndobrd
03-21-2011, 09:22 AM
My runs were:

63.231 +1

The official results for the event are not up on the website yet, but it looked like most of the cars set up with good tires were running in the mid 50s and the best time of the day was 48 if I remember correctly.

I was really worried about just not seeing a gate or going on the wrong side of a cone. After the first run I was pretty much settled in. By the second run it became readily apparent that my all weather tires with the 520 wear rating and life-time brake pads were not going to cut it. A more experienced driver might be able to get under 60, but it would be a challenge.

I had a great time, and will probably try it again. It was a lot of fun to see exactly what my car is capable of, and what it is not. I can definitely see how a person could get roped into this.

Radar Chief
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
That sounds like a whole bunch of fun.

Barret
03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Congrats on the run. It is fun learning more about what you and the car are capable of.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
SCCA? Is that the group where you run around with fake swords and shields and stuff? If so, good luck and I hope your chain mail doesn't bind up on you.

trndobrd
03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
SCCA? Is that the group where you run around with fake swords and shields and stuff? If so, good luck and I hope your chain mail doesn't bind up on you.

SCCA is the Sports Car Club of America. You are thinking of Society for Creative Anachronism, they do Medival living history stuff. The less popular SCCCA, Society for Creative Car Club of America, requires drivers to remain in medival character with mail or plate armor while participating in events at Ye Olde Race Tracke.

Radar Chief
03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
You want quicker times?
Less brake, more gas. /Kevin Schwantz ;)

penguinz
03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I wonder how my XJ would handle in one of these races.

Radar Chief
03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I wonder how my XJ would handle in one of these races.

:LOL: Like shit. Itd be just about as bad as me trying to limp my CJ around one.