PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 32

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Possibly the hairiest heat we've had so far.

Pitt Gorilla
03-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Feelgood should be in without question.

Dartgod
03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Best song on the list:

La Villa Strangiato, Rush

Old Dog
03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
As long as Fortunate Son makes it through, no travesty will have been committed.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Walk like an Egyptian? Rock n Roll? Hardly, man.

Reaper16
03-19-2011, 10:37 AM
My votes:
"La Villa Strangiato" -- a classic instrumental (suck it, lyric-lovers) from Rush's best album.
"Mr. Brownstone" -- my pick for GnR's best song.
"Fortunate Son" -- c'mon, this is a classic. The anger in Fogerty's vibrato is as forceful today, I'm sure, as it was then.

Slainte
03-19-2011, 10:38 AM
CCR, Led Zeppelin, The Bangles...

Reaper16
03-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Feelgood should be in without question.
Eh. If any Crue song should have been in this competition it is "Kickstart My Heart." That's the best song from the entire 80's "hair band"/glam hard rock scene.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
La Villa Strangiato, Rush - While I generally don't like long guitar stretches and don't like the lack of vocals, this was pretty good. I was torn on giving it my #3 vote, but went with a shorter song.

Mr. Brownstone, Guns N Roses - I could detect both a melody and a harmony in this one. That's progress.

Fortunate Son, Creedence Clearwater Revival - By all rights, this song should go deep into the tournament. It's a winner. Clear #1 vote.

The Ocean, Led Zeppelin - I've been hearing several Zeppelin songs that I like in this tournament. This isn't one of them. The vocals are lost in a too-dominant and unpleasant guitar sound.

Anything Goes, Guns N Roses - I could only detect the harmony on this one.

Walk Like an Egyptian, the Bangles - Wow, this song is great! It's clever and the beat draws you in. And the small guitarist is pleasant to the eye as well as the ear. #2 vote.

Dr. Feelgood, Motley Crue - Mein gott. I made it about halfway through this one before the taste police showed up and made me turn it off.

Walkin' Out on Love, The Beat - After a long debate, this one barely beat out both Rush and suckage to get my #3 vote.

Bwana
As long as Fortunate Son makes it through, no travesty will have been committed.

This

Phobia
This is full of good songs. I'm a huge fan of G&R. I think AppforDes was one of the best albums of all time in terms of pure quality start to finish. But neither of their songs in this heat got my vote.

I think the Rush submission is very good. But it's an instrumental. Rock and Roll lends itself to a little bit of scringing.

I even like the Bangles song, strangely enough. But that's not a rock & roll song by my estimation.

Fortunate Son and The Ocean are classics which belong. The Ocean can be a little bit annoying but when those opening guitar licks crank up, you know you're listening to genius. My final vote goes to a guilty pleasure. I don't think it's a lyrical wonder nor do I believe that these guys are particularly amazing with their instruments. But Dr. Feelgood was an instant hit and had staying power amongst those who were around in 1987.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Looking at the Fortunate Son vote, my faith in Chiefsplanet has been restored. You people are all right.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Rain Man, I I think you're a great poster, but rock isn't your strong suit. Bangles and Zeppelin in the same poll is mind-boggling.

Halfcan
03-19-2011, 10:50 AM
My votes:
"La Villa Strangiato" -- a classic instrumental (suck it, lyric-lovers) from Rush's best album."Mr. Brownstone" -- my pick for GnR's best song.
"Fortunate Son" -- c'mon, this is a classic. The anger in Fogerty's vibrato is as forceful today, I'm sure, as it was then.

Amen brother!!! :thumb:

Rush rep to you!!

Stangiato-is bprobably the best piece of music written since the Big three composers.

Zep, Pink Floyd, The Who, Stones and Beatles-had some excellent musically Classics as well.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Rain Man, I I think you're a great poster, but rock isn't your strong suit. Bangles and Zeppelin in the same poll is mind-boggling.

As stated in the disclaimer at the bottom of your voting ballot, the songs were nominated collectively by Chiefsplanet and are not the sole creation of Rain Man Industries.

However, I did nominate the Bangles and they are the second-best song in this heat.

Phobia
03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
However, I did nominate the Bangles and they are the second-best song in this heat.

Susanna Hoffs reeled you in with her eyes.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Susanna Hoffs reeled you in with her eyes.

Oh, yeah. No use denying it.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Ok Kevin, still no Elvis??

Predarat
03-19-2011, 11:35 AM
This one made me want to breach the three vote rule lol but I went CCR, ZEP for sure and ill have to pick one more.

Frazod
03-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Who needs Elvis when you have 1,000 Bob Dylan songs?

Bwana
03-19-2011, 11:42 AM

LMAO

No shit, or 1000 Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce songs! :evil:

Rausch
03-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Yeah, it's starting to feel like a fucking game in Mile High/Incestco...

KC Tattoo
03-19-2011, 11:49 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tjKe3nPpL4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tjKe3nPpL4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Rausch
03-19-2011, 11:49 AM
CCR outlasts the hairband heat...

patteeu
03-19-2011, 11:50 AM
La Villa Strangiato, Rush - This song is missing something. Hey, where are the lyrics? Sorry, this may be super duper musicianship, but the song doesn't work for me.

Mr. Brownstone, Guns N Roses - Not a bad GnR song, but not good enough to earn a vote.

Fortunate Son, Creedence Clearwater Revival - This song is an obvious winner. I think it's the best CCR song of them all. #1 vote.

The Ocean, Led Zeppelin - I like this song. It finished 4th for me.

Anything Goes, Guns N Roses - This competition needs more GnR. :facepalm:

Walk Like an Egyptian, the Bangles - Catchy song, but I liked the version from the Cleverlys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS0P7w4YCDI) better.

Dr. Feelgood, Motley Crue - I like this song better than The Ocean so it gets my #3.

Walkin' Out on Love, The Beat - Nice surprise. I've never heard this song but it's a great one. I love the catchy simplicity. The live youtube versions are even better than the studio version, IMO. It gets my #2 vote.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 11:52 AM

There was only one Elvis song nominated if I remember right, and I don't think it was his best. Devil in Disguise could have done pretty well, I bet.

For that matter, we also didn't get Devil in a Blue Dress nominated, and if you haven't seen Springsteen's cover of it, you should. You can skip the first 30 seconds or so. This is actually a Detroit medley that includes Blue Dress, Good Golly Miss Molly, and maybe another song. Awesome, awesome stuff.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JPiBnICeKb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He usually adds another great song to that medley called A Quarter To Three. Here it is:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gGzQsBNDdLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
03-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Rock and Roll is a big tent.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I thought I threw out 3 Elvis tunes. Jail House Rock, Blue Suede Shoes and Burning Love.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I thought I threw out 3 Elvis tunes. Jail House Rock, Blue Suede Shoes and Burning Love.

Was it in BigRedChief's thread? I hope I didn't miss it. Those would've been good additions.

patteeu
03-19-2011, 11:58 AM
The fact that Walkin Out On Love has only collected 2 votes tells me that you guys aren't doing your homework. Shame on you.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Was it in BigRedChief's thread? I hope I didn't miss it. Those would've been good additions.

It was one of them bud. :hmmm:

Bwana
03-19-2011, 12:02 PM
The fact that Walkin Out On Love has only collected 2 votes tells me that you guys aren't doing your homework. Shame on you.

I pulled a google on it, listened to it and said WTF was that? To each their own, but I thought it sucked harder than a shopvac.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 12:08 PM
It was one of them bud. :hmmm:

Unfortunately, it must have been a different thread. A search reveals that you put up the Boston album, but no other songs. I think those Elvis songs could've put up a fight here.

patteeu
03-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I pulled a google on it, listened to it and said WTF was that? To each their own, but I thought it sucked harder than a shopvac.

LMAO

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 12:09 PM

As the other vote for Walkin Out On Love, I have to agree. It was a new song to me, but it works.

I wonder who nominated it?

KC Tattoo
03-19-2011, 12:11 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKZYwhTPnAI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKZYwhTPnAI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

--

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IP2itbTfwjk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IP2itbTfwjk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I wish I nominated this song. GnFnR rules!

Bwana
03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately, it must have been a different thread. A search reveals that you put up the Boston album, but no other songs. I think those Elvis songs could've put up a fight here.

Well damn Kevin, just hang them in some of your future polls. I'll see to it that there's a box of chocolate and a hooker in it for you! PBJ

kc rush
03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Best song on the list:

La Villa Strangiato, Rush

This. My favorite ever.

Rausch
03-19-2011, 01:07 PM
This. My favorite ever.

You and everyone who's ever made me listen to a RUSH song is getting teh neggys...:cuss:

seclark
03-19-2011, 03:13 PM
HEAT 32!!! SCOREBOARD!!!
i was this >< close to leaving this place for good.
sec

KurtCobain
03-19-2011, 03:45 PM
ready for round 2

ChiefButthurt
03-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I give up on you guys.....The Ocean doesn't make the cut? OMG

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
HEAT 32!!! SCOREBOARD!!!
i was this >< close to leaving this place for good.
sec

That was close.

KurtCobain
03-19-2011, 06:51 PM
How many heats are there again?

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
How many heats are there again?

4*9-1+pi*16*cos(90)/(48/5-0.6)

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Or if you're more into social science than math, the minimum age at which a person is eligible for the presidency of the United States.

KurtCobain
03-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Or if you're more into social science than math, the minimum age at which a person is eligible for the presidency of the United States.

That's like, way up there, man.

Drwbllz
03-19-2011, 09:33 PM
This is the first heat where I didn't use all 3 choices. The Ocean and Fortunate Son move on. I hate CCR for the most part, but I can't hate Fortunate Son.

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
This is the first heat where I didn't use all 3 choices. The Ocean and Fortunate Son move on. I hate CCR for the most part, but I can't hate Fortunate Son.

It's a bummer that you accidentally didn't see Walk Like An Egyptian. That would've been the perfect third song to vote for.

Drwbllz
03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
It's a bummer that you accidentally didn't see Walk Like An Egyptian. That would've been the perfect third song to vote for.

:doh!: That's sarcasm, right?

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
:doh!: That's sarcasm, right?

Whatchoo talking about?

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 09:41 AM
We have shutdown. Moving on are:

Fortunate Son
Dr. Feelgood
Mr. Brownstone