PDA

View Full Version : News US Attacks Libya

BigRichard
03-19-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/19/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Hours after French, British and American military forces unleashed cruise missiles and fighter jets, a defiant Moammar Gadhafi said Libya will fight back against undeserved "naked aggression."

A coalition that includes Canada and Italy made good Saturday on international warnings to Gadhafi, hammering Libyan military positions in the first phase of an operation that will include enforcement of a no-fly zone.

More than 110 Tomahawk missiles fired from American and British ships and submarines hit about 20 Libyan air and missile defense targets in western portions of the country, U.S. Vice Adm. William Gortney said at a Pentagon briefing.

The U.S. will conduct a damage assessment of the sites, which include SA-5 missiles and communications facilities. A senior U.S. military official, who was not authorized to speak on the record, said the missiles landed near Misrataand Tripoli, the capital and Gadhafi's stronghold.

The salvo, in an operation dubbed "Odyssey Dawn," was meant "to deny the Libyan regime from using force against its own people," said Gortney, who declined to detail future operations.

Earlier, French fighter jets deployed over Libya fired at a military vehicle Saturday, the country's first strike against Gadhafi's military forces, which earlier attacked the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.

Prime Minister David Cameron said late Saturday that British forces also are in action over Libya. "What we are doing is necessary, it is legal and it is right," he said. "I believe we should not stand aside while this dictator murders his own people."

While there were no U.S. warplanes flying over Libya late Saturday, the coalition was preparing for enforcement of a no-fly zone, Gortney said.

Gadhafi, speaking early Sunday on Libyan state TV, said the U.N. charter provides for Libya's right to defend itself in a "war zone." Weapons depots will be opened so that people can arm themselves, he said.

"All you people of the Islamic nations and Africa, and Latin America and Asia, stand with the Libyan people in its fight against this aggression," Gadhafi said.

A Libyan government spokesman said that instead of sending international observers to witness a cease-fire, the coalition of international allies chose military aggression.

Air attacks on several locations in Tripoli and Misrata have caused "real harm" to civilians, the spokesman said.

Shortly after the first missile attacks, U.S. President Barack Obama informed the American people of the efforts by a "broad coalition."

"The use of force is not our first choice," the president said from Brasilia, Brazil. "It is not a choice I make lightly. But we cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his own people that there will be no mercy."

Obama reiterated that the Pentagon has no plans to deploy ground forces in Libya.

Obama is planning for the U.S. portion of the military action in Libya to only last for a few days, according to a senior administration official, who was not authorized to speak about sensitive military matters.

"In terms of the heavy kinetic portion of this military action, the president envisions it as lasting days, not weeks," the senior official said. "After that we'll take more of a supporting role."

Coalition partners say Gadhafi has failed to adhere to a United Nations resolution that imposed the no-fly zone and ordered him to stop attacks on civilians.

"He's clearly been on the offensive," the senior U.S. military official said of Gadhafi. "He said that he was going to do a cease-fire and he continued to move his forces into Benghazi."

A Libyan army spokesman said on state TV that "the crusader army has bombed fuel tanks."

The international show of force is much welcomed by besieged rebel forces who have called for backup to help them stave off a government offensive against their positions in Benghazi and other rebel-held enclaves.

An opposition spokesman in Benghazi said Gadhafi forces that assaulted the city earlier Saturday are now positioned outside the town. However, the forces are preparing for more attacks.

Earlier Saturday, Gadhafi issued defiant messages to international powers.

"I have all the Libyan people with me and I'm prepared to die. And they are prepared to die for me. Men, women and even children," Gadhafi said in a letter addressed to Obama and read to reporters by a government spokesman in Tripoli.

Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Gortney used the term "unique capabilities" to describe the U.S. part of the coalition effort. Officials have said American military forces are meant to augment Arab, European and other Western troops.

In the next few days, U.S. military officials expect to hand over control to a coalition commander.

The French Defense Ministry said its attack aircraft being used to take out tanks and artillery have deemed Benghazi and the surrounding area an "exclusion zone."

The French said they are using surveillance aircraft and two frigates in the operation to protect civilians. The aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle will soon depart Toulon, France.

"Our air force will oppose any aggression by Colonel Gadhafi against the population of Benghazi," said French President Nicolas Sarkozy, speaking after an international, top-level meeting in Paris over the Libyan crisis.

Six Canadian CF-18 fighter jets are en route to an Italian base in Sicily and the HMCS Charlottetown will be in position to help with the naval blockade against Libya.

"America has unique capabilities, and we will bring them to bear to help our European and Canadian allies and Arab partners to stop further violence against civilians including through the effective implementation of a no-fly zone," Clinton said.

Sarkozy said Gadhafi still has time to stop its activities. As of Friday, France, Britain, the United States and Arab League nations passed along a warning for Gadhafi to stop his operations immediately.

But "Gadhafi has totally ignored the warning" and "in the last few hours his forces have stepped up their deadly offenses," Sarkozy said.

The international coalition meeting in Paris -- which included Western and Arab partners -- focused on how to take on a Libyan government bent on destroying the fledgling opposition movement under the U.N. resolution authorizing force to protect civilians against the Gadhafi government.

Herman Van Rompuy, president of the European Council, said the European Union is ready to give a "new Libya" economic help and aid in building new institutions.

In Rome, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's office confirmed to CNN that Berlusconi has proposed the use of the NATO base in southern Italy as a command center for allied action in Libya.

After Gadhafi forces earlier Saturday assaulted Benghazi, the opposition said the military repositioned itself far outside the city.

Earlier Saturday, incoming artillery rounds landed inside the city, and pro-Gadhafi tanks rolled into the town firing rounds, witnesses said. Plumes of smoke rose in Benghazi as civilians said buildings came under small arms fire. Many fled their homes in fear of a full-blown assault there.

A flaming fighter jet plummeted from the sky, nose-diving to the ground. Khaled el-Sayeh, the opposition military spokesman, said the plane was an old MiG-23 that belonged to the rebels.

As night fell over Benghazi on Saturday, the city became quiet and calm. While plumes of smoke could be spotted, the pro-Gadhafi tanks seen earlier were not in sight. El-Sayeh told CNN that "tens" have been killed in Benghazi on Saturday and opposition forces found 13 men clad in Libyan military uniforms bound and executed in a building that had been used by pro-Gadhafi forces to launch artillery assaults.

He said Gadhafi forces have withdrawn from the city and that they are now positioned 50 kilometers (31 miles) outside Benghazi on the road east to Ajdabiya. CNN could not independently verify those details.

In western Libya, pro-Gadhafi forces subjected the city of Misrata to heavy shelling, an opposition member said.

In Tripoli, Gadhafi's supporters took to the streets.

Libyan state TV now showed images of pro-Gadhafi demonstrations, and broadcast pictures of fireworks by pro-Gadhafi demonstrators over the Libyan leader's military compound in Tripoli. On the streets in Tripoli, people were waving green Libyan flags and singing pro-Gadhafi songs.

Fighting has raged in Libya over the last day despite the government's announcement of an "immediate" cease-fire on Friday.

The declaration -- which came hours after the U.N. Security Council resolution authorized the use of force, including the no-fly zone -- was seen by rebels as simply a move to buy itself time.

Gadhafi -- in a separate letter addressed to Sarkozy, Cameron and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon -- called the U.N. moves "invalid" because the resolution does not permit intervention in the internal affairs of other countries.

"Libya is not yours. Libya is for all Libyans," said the letter, also read by the spokesman. "You will regret it if you take a step toward intervening in our internal affairs.

Violence has raged in Libya following protests calling for democracy and freedom and demanding an end to Gadhafi's almost 42-year-long rule. It's a conflict spurred by anti-government protest and resulting regime violence against civilians -- which the U.N. resolution cites as "outrageous" and Sarkozy calls "murderous madness."

But Gadhafi defended his actions in his note to Obama. He said his opponents are from al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the group's North African wing, and asked Obama what he would do if such an armed movement controlled American cities.

"Tell me, how would you behave so I could follow your example?"

Count Zarth
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWS-FoXbjVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rams Fan
03-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Higher gas prices, **** yeah.

Donger
03-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Please remove from The Lounge.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Cool, can we print a shit load more "magic Obama money" to pay for this? :spock:

Donger
03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Cool, can we print a shit load more "magic Obama money" to pay for this? :spock:

Meh. Tomahawks are only about $1 million each. So, figure this attack cost about $110 million.

Count Zarth
03-19-2011, 04:45 PM
We have asstons of weapons sitting around and people want to complain when we use them?

Maybe I'm an idiot but this makes me feel good. Fuck dictators up the ass.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Meh. Tomahawks are only about $1 million each. So, figure this attack cost about $110 million.

LMAO

Donger
03-19-2011, 04:54 PM
We have asstons of weapons sitting around and people want to complain when we use them?

Maybe I'm an idiot but this makes me feel good. **** dictators up the ass.

"A weapon un-used is a useless weapon."

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Maybe I'm an idiot but this makes me feel good. Fuck dictators up the ass.
No shit, as far as I'm concerned we can blow our whole load all over the entire middle east, it would make the world a better place.

Discuss Thrower
03-19-2011, 05:09 PM
"A weapon un-used is a useless weapon."

A weapon un-wielded is no weapon at all.

keg in kc
03-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I've always wondered if these attacks are timed for major TV events (like March Madness) so there will be maximum viewership of stuff like CBS news halftime coverage of it.

Lonewolf Ed
03-19-2011, 05:10 PM
We know where his house is... just one missile should do the trick. But we lost the cajones for such things before WWII was even over.

acesn8s
03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I've always wondered if these attacks are timed for major TV events (like March Madness) so there will be maximum viewership of stuff like CBS news halftime coverage of it.Only Doomsday Katie can trump the useless break-ins during gametime. Might as well forget about watching the KU game.

bevischief
03-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Sounds like Navy did their job...

GloryDayz
03-19-2011, 05:28 PM
A global force for good... Obama's so happy to have started (or participated in) his first that he headed for Rio. Guess he'll organize down there for a while now..

Just Passin' By
03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Might as well get the DC ball rolling....

Does this mean that the U.S. Gov't should be the recipient of a nice missile attack the next time it tries pulling a Waco on its own citizens?

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
We know where his house is... just one missile should do the trick. But we lost the cajones for such things before WWII was even over.

You think he's sitting in his house? ROFL

He's hiding in some sand dune with a straw sticking up to breathe threw.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Does this mean that the U.S. Gov't should be the recipient of a nice missile attack the next time it tries pulling a Waco on its own citizens?

Or Ruby Ridge. If that comes up again, I will be rooting for the "citizens," fuck the feds.

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 05:38 PM

ROFL sitting on their hands for 90 days you mean ROFL

Just Passin' By
03-19-2011, 05:41 PM
ROFL sitting on their hands for 90 days you mean ROFL

Well, more the "after that" part. But, whatever it takes to get this thread moved to D.C. before it gets too insane.

listopencil
03-19-2011, 05:41 PM
What a trip:

"The French said they are using surveillance aircraft and two frigates in the operation to protect civilians. The aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle will soon depart Toulon, France."

I was in Toulon for 10 days while waiting to get to my ship back in the late 80's. I had to cross the "Line Of Death" three times back then. And it was because of this son of a bitch that I didn't get to go to Australia instead. And, to make it worse, my ship was in St. Tropez but I was stuck on a carrier so I missed it. About time this bastard was taken out.

keg in kc
03-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Only Doomsday Katie can trump the useless break-ins during gametime. Might as well forget about watching the KU game.I just thank god there's only one show I watch on CBS (Hawaii 5-0). Storm season and May sweeps, it's like a 2-week orgasm for her.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 05:45 PM
So those of you living near Whiteman AFB, did any Stealth Fighters lift off?

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I've been curious why the Libyan rebels appear to be operating like an army as opposed to guerillas. I thought the whole rebel army thing went out of vogue in the '40s. It doesn't seem like a good idea to be an "army" lining up against an army. It seems like the guerilla thing is the way to go.

Donger
03-19-2011, 05:49 PM

The B-2s are bombers. Then again, so was the F-117.

Bwana
03-19-2011, 05:53 PM
The B-2s are bombers. Then again, so was the F-117.

I know when we went after Iraq, they were in on the first night strikes, taking out radar stations and other high profile targets.

Donger
03-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I know when we went after Iraq, they were in on the first night strikes, taking out radar stations and other high profile targets.

The F-117 is retired. I wouldn't think that we'd risk a B-2 over Libya, but...

seclark
03-19-2011, 06:00 PM

son in the af has been in uae for the last couple weeks. left for somewhere 2 days ago. couldn't say where he was going. doesn't mean much, really.
sec

Bwana
03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
The F-117 is retired. I wouldn't think that we'd risk a B-2 over Libya, but...

You never know. I would bet we will see some F-22 Raptors flying around soon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg/800px-Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg)

Bwana
03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
son in the af has been in uae for the last couple weeks. left for somewhere 2 days ago. couldn't say where he was going. doesn't mean much, really.
sec

Hmmm? Perhaps a M.E. vacation. :hmmm:

Donger
03-19-2011, 06:02 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg/800px-Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg)

Gawd, I would hump that thing. Right in the in-flight refueling receptacle.

seclark
03-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Hmmm? Perhaps a M.E. vacation. :hmmm:

3rd time he's been over there. i was going to send him a log of cope, but you know...
sec

Bwana
03-19-2011, 06:04 PM
3rd time he's been over there. i was going to send him a log of cope, but you know...
sec

Got ya........ LMAO

Bwana
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Gawd, I would hump that thing. Right in the in-flight refueling receptacle.

Momar, meet our new little friend............BOOM!

Lonewolf Ed
03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
You think he's sitting in his house? ROFL

He's hiding in some sand dune with a straw sticking up to breathe threw.

You took that far more literally than was intended.

Barret
03-19-2011, 06:25 PM

I don't think they would be using top line fighters against the older Libyan equipment. The F-15's and F-18's would probably do just fine against those targets.

I wonder if this is all too little, too late? I mean Ghadaffi must have seen that this would be coming sooner or later and thus whipped out the full on air power to take out what was needed. That goal being accomplished I am sure he will ground his Air Force like the UN wants him to since he would only need his ground forces to complete what is needed.

Hell his old ass AA defenses being taken out right now needed an upgrade. Now he has a reason to go the the Russians / Chinese / whomever and get restocked with the new stuff.

* on edit, yes that plane is sexy

Bwana
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't think they would be using top line fighters against the older Libyan equipment. The F-15's and F-18's would probably do just fine against those targets.

They were just talking on FOX and CNN that after the SA-5 air defense systems are taken out, they will be sending in the F-22's. LIGHT THEM UP BOYS!!

DaFace
03-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Since this is a pretty big current event, I'll let this stay in the Lounge for now. I'd appreciate it if people could keep this as non-political as possible, though. I'll dump it in DC later if need be.

JD10367
03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Higher gas prices, **** yeah.

We don't get any gas from Libya. The high gas prices are driven mostly by speculation.

I have no issues with the action. It's being done via the U.N., so it's not like the U.S. did it on their own. The two veto powers, Russia and China, both abstained--and neither of those superpowers usually has any problem about busting the U.S.'s or U.N.'s balls, so the fact that they abstained pretty much means everyone gave the green light for this. I doubt even Libya's neighbors in the Middle East care much for Libya or its nutjob leader. (And this takes the focus off the uprisings in Egypt and Bahrain and elsewhere, so most of them are probably, like, "Sure, U.N., go ahead, bomb Libya, pay less attention to us...")

Let's face facts: there are three real military superpowers on this planet. The U.S., Russia, and China. As long as those three countries aren't knocking c*cks, anything else is pretty much an exercise in "let's watch a country with military might shitkick a smaller country around for a while". It's like a Mafia Don shaking down the pizzaboy for his delivery money while two other neighborhood Dons play checkers and ignore it.

3rd&48ers
03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Bunch of war mongering Moonbats!

gblowfish
03-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Quaddafi Duck!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bPyoCHW2GlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h9YPCWDBUj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRichard
03-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Since this is a pretty big current event, I'll let this stay in the Lounge for now. I'd appreciate it if people could keep this as non-political as possible, though. I'll dump it in DC later if need be.

That is why I moved it over from DC. I thought it needed a thread in the Lounge due to the fact that it was fairly big news involving the US. Yes people can go all political but it doesn't need to be.

acesn8s
03-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Since this is a pretty big current event, I'll let this stay in the Lounge for now. I'd appreciate it if people could keep this as non-political as possible, though. I'll dump it in DC later if need be.Obama sucks!

Pack the bags, its time to move.

acesn8s
03-19-2011, 06:59 PM
We don't get any gas from Libya. The high gas prices are driven mostly by speculation.

I have no issues with the action. It's being done via the U.N., so it's not like the U.S. did it on their own. The two veto powers, Russia and China, both abstained--and neither of those superpowers usually has any problem about busting the U.S.'s or U.N.'s balls, so the fact that they abstained pretty much means everyone gave the green light for this. I doubt even Libya's neighbors in the Middle East care much for Libya or its nutjob leader. (And this takes the focus off the uprisings in Egypt and Bahrain and elsewhere, so most of them are probably, like, "Sure, U.N., go ahead, bomb Libya, pay less attention to us...")

Let's face facts: there are three real military superpowers on this planet. The U.S., Russia, and China. As long as those three countries aren't knocking c*cks, anything else is pretty much an exercise in "let's watch a country with military might shitkick a smaller country around for a while". It's like a Mafia Don shaking down the pizzaboy for his delivery money while two other neighborhood Dons play checkers and ignore it.China gets their gas from Libya but can't because of the political unrest, so they are tapping into other countries where we do get oil; thus, raising prices here. In short, China wants this to end quickly.

Mr. Laz
03-19-2011, 07:10 PM
don't have a problem with this

U.N + no U.S. ground troops

as long as we dont' pay for it all and have soldiers over there dying.

now ... let's get the fuck out of Afghanistan

scott free
03-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I've been curious why the Libyan rebels appear to be operating like an army as opposed to guerillas. I thought the whole rebel army thing went out of vogue in the '40s. It doesn't seem like a good idea to be an "army" lining up against an army. It seems like the guerilla thing is the way to go.

I'm certainly no expert, but my guess would be that the rebels control enough ground, the resources of large cities & military assets... jets, tanks defected crack military units & officers & have the needed overwhelming local support to feel confident enough to stand their ground straight up.

MIAdragon
03-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Operation El Dorado Canyon begs to differ....

Frankie
03-19-2011, 07:19 PM
don't have a problem with this

U.N + no U.S. ground troops

as long as we dont' pay for it all and have soldiers over there dying.

now ... let's get the **** out of Afghanistan

This.

scott free
03-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Good call, i hate it when every thread relating to any kind of world event gets calls for 'off to DC'.

Political junkies & hatchet men arent the only ones with thoughts & opinions on these issues.

MIAdragon
03-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Good call, i hate it when every thread relating to any kind of world event gets calls for 'off to DC'.

Political junkies & hatchet men arent the only ones with thoughts & opinions on these issues.

They can start their own thread in that cesspool.

Just Passin' By
03-19-2011, 07:24 PM

How do you make a non-political thread about a thoroughly political action? Even "Good decision/bad decision" is political in this case.

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I still remember the joke from the 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident.

What goes plop plop fizz fizz?

2 Libyan jets :)

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
How do you make a non-political thread about a thoroughly political action? Even "Good decision/bad decision" is political in this case.

By not commenting in a political way

Bwana
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I still remember the joke from the 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident.

What goes plop plop fizz fizz?

2 Libyan jets :)

Heh

LMAO

Just Passin' By
03-19-2011, 07:43 PM
By not commenting in a political way

Ok, I'll try to do my part

http://www.magicmoviemachine.com/Pictures/womanonmissile.jpg

Dave Lane
03-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Damn

what happened to the back of that jeep? :)

Just Passin' By
03-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Damn

I just see missiles. Lots and lots of missiles. My guess is that whomever was in charge of counting them was off by two.

LiveSteam
03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I see a chopped dodge pickup
& A HUGE RACK

teedubya
03-19-2011, 07:55 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8y06NSBBRtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikey23545
03-19-2011, 07:55 PM
No Blood For Oil!

listopencil
03-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Damn

I see a chopped dodge pickup
& A HUGE RACK

I just see missiles. Lots and lots of missiles. My guess is that whomever was in charge of counting them was off by two.

What? There are missiles,a Jeep and a truck in that pic?

Pitt Gorilla
03-19-2011, 08:36 PM
No Blood For Oil!Seriously, STFU.

Pitt Gorilla
03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
What? There are missiles,a Jeep and a truck in that pic?This. It must be like an "I Spy" puzzle and I still can't find those.

PornChief
03-19-2011, 09:35 PM
didn't that Obama feller criticize the US president for sending the military to topple some mid east dictator a couple years back?

BigRedChief
03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Why isn't this thread in DC?

BigRedChief
03-19-2011, 10:04 PM
didn't that Obama feller criticize the US president for sending the military to topple some mid east dictator a couple years back?Big difference. Letting the "UN" take the lead. No USA troops on the ground to become targets.No nation building. Let the frikking French rebuild that chit hole. Let em try to shoot down our F-16's now.

Frankie
03-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Man I LOVE THEM BOMBS!

Can I sign a couple of them?

teedubya
03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Tidbit of the day:

Only 5 nations are without a Rothschilds Central Bank: Iran, N. Korea, Sudan, Cuba and Libya.

And if the UN has its way, this list may soon be down to four.

That is all.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
didn't that Obama feller criticize the US president for sending the military to topple some mid east dictator a couple years back?
not even remotely the same thing this time

if you want to talk about that at least use Afghanistan

kcfanXIII
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I've always wondered if these attacks are timed for major TV events (like March Madness) so there will be maximum viewership of stuff like CBS news halftime coverage of it.

http://hardons-blog.blogspot.com/2011/03/invasion-of-libya-march-19th-same-day.html

there's one theory.

Bearcat2005
03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Big difference. Letting the "UN" take the lead. No USA troops on the ground to become targets.No nation building. Let the frikking French rebuild that chit hole. Let em try to shoot down our F-16's now.

No Nation Building? Yea sure... were just going to knock out Gaddifi and leave a power vaccum in an oil rich nation, please. The US along with the European powers will sponsor nation building operations to instill a "democracy", however it will ultimately lack liberal reforms, and there will be resistance during such that will require boots on the ground.

We have to be honest with ourselves about this path we are on in Libya, that is why I would prefer another approach.

Marcellus
03-20-2011, 07:40 PM
No Nation Building? Yea sure... were just going to knock out Gaddifi and leave a power vaccum in an oil rich nation, please. The US along with the European powers will sponsor nation building operations to instill a "democracy", however it will ultimately lack liberal reforms, and there will be resistance during such that will require boots on the ground.

We have to be honest with ourselves about this path we are on in Libya, that is why I would prefer another approach.

The only boots on the ground will be the SF forces that are likely already there.

We took too long to react which tells you the US isn't really wanting to get that involved.

When the Arab League basically asks the west to get involved what does that tell you?

3rd&48ers
03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
The only boots on the ground will be the SF forces that are likely already there.

We took too long to react which tells you the US isn't really wanting to get that involved.

When the Arab League basically asks the west to get involved what does that tell you?
Arab League condemns broad Western bombing campaign in Libya

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/arab-league-condemns-broad-bombing-campaign-in-libya/2011/03/20/AB1pSg1_story.html?hpid=z3

Marcellus
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Arab League condemns broad Western bombing campaign in Libya

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/arab-league-condemns-broad-bombing-campaign-in-libya/2011/03/20/AB1pSg1_story.html?hpid=z3

They have questioned how far it has gone. They did ask the West to get involved and if you don't think the condemning is just posturing to keep the crazies at home happy, more power to you.

3rd&48ers
03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
They have questioned how far it has gone. They did ask the West to get involved and if you don't think the condemning is just posturing to keep the crazies at home happy, more power to you.

I don't know what to think really about that, I think we have a war mongering President that was suppose to be so different than the war mongering Presidents that were suppose to precede him....

Marcellus
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't know what to think really about that, I think we have a war mongering President that was suppose to be so different than the war mongering Presidents that were suppose to precede him....

I find it interesting that pretty much everything Obama was bitching about as far as foreign policy is concerned, he hasn't changed one bit.

Maybe it's not as easy to change as you think once you actually know the facts of what's gong on.

I watched a show on History the other day talking about what the new President gets handed to him knowledge (intel) wise once he assumes office.

Oddly it had never occurred to me that these guys don't know most of the information prior to holding that office, which makes sense.

You are basically campaigning about some things you don't even know the reality of.

Kind of scary and interesting.

Bwana
03-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Maybe it's not as easy to change as you think once you actually know the facts of what's gong on.

I watched a show on History the other day talking about what the new President gets handed to him knowledge (intel) wise once he assumes office.

Which is why everyone of these guys ages so quickly, once they hit office.

3rd&48ers
03-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I find it interesting that pretty much everything Obama was bitching about as far as foreign policy is concerned, he hasn't changed one bit.

Oddly it had never occurred to me that these guys don't know most of the information prior to holding that office, which makes sense.

You are basically campaigning about some things you don't even know the reality of.

Kind of scary and interesting.

Have you ever seen the movie on Youtube called The Obama Deception? If you have not it will really make you wonder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw

Marcellus
03-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Have you ever seen the movie on Youtube called The Obama Deception? If you have not it will really make you wonder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw

I will check it out.

Saul Good
03-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Exactly. THIS time, we will be greeted as liberators.

crazycoffey
03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
yeah, can't wait to go visit....

BigRedChief
03-20-2011, 10:26 PM
yeah, can't wait to go visit....
Screw that. The bahamas are a much more pleasant place to visit.

crazycoffey
03-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Screw that. The bahamas are a much more pleasant place to visit.

agree 110 percent.