PDA

View Full Version : Life does magic johnson still have HIV?

rambleonthruthefog
03-20-2011, 10:53 PM
seriously, WTF!

Ebolapox
03-20-2011, 10:55 PM
uhhhh, yeah. you don't just lose HIV: it uses an enzyme (reverse transcriptase) to encode itself into your genome inside of your cells. there's currently no way to take it OUT of the gene locus that it's encoded into. as a matter of fact, there's evidence that a LOT of the DNA in our genomes got there via retroviruses (which HIV is one of). interesting, yeah?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Modern antiretrovirals can extend your survival rates to decades or more. Smaller segments of the population are so-called long-term non-progressors or elite controllers because of their ability to live both with active HIV but continue living asymptomatically.

Yet others, most commonly of European ancestory, have a mutation that makes it much more difficult for HIV to attach itself to their CD4 cells. They are resistant to infection with HIV.

Hammock Parties
03-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Yet others, most commonly of European ancestory

WHITE PEOPLE RULE

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2011, 11:09 PM
WHITE PEOPLE RULE

That mutation, called CCR532 Delta, stems from the Black Death.

Ebolapox
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Modern antiretrovirals can extend your survival rates to decades or more. Smaller segments of the population are so-called long-term non-progressors or elite controllers because of their ability to live both with active HIV but continue living asymptomatically.

Yet others, most commonly of European ancestory, have a mutation that makes it much more difficult for HIV to attach itself to their CD4 cells. They are resistant to infection with HIV.

That too.

Direckshun
03-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I think you're forgetting the part where he prays to Jesus every night.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
HIV Trivia: The first known case of AIDS in the United States was in a teenage boy who died in 1969...

In St. Louis.

Titty Meat
03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Did they ever find out what it came from? Monkeys right?

Rams Fan
03-20-2011, 11:21 PM
HIV Trivia: The first known case of AIDS in the United States was in a teenage boy who died in 1969...

In St. Louis.

Did not know that.

Dallas Chief
03-20-2011, 11:22 PM

In St. Louis.

Link? Not being a smartass. I am genuinely interested...

Titty Meat
03-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Link? Not being a smartass. I am genuinely interested...

http://www.kurtwarner.org/

Fishpicker
03-20-2011, 11:25 PM

In St. Louis.

how was the kids death linked to AIDS? I guess it goes beyond just being in the bloodstream. or was it theorized that the kid died from AIDS because he had similar symptoms to AIDS before anyone had heard of it?

Titty Meat
03-20-2011, 11:26 PM
No they found it in his tissue from what I've read

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEFD6173AF93BA15753C1A961948260&pagewanted=all

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2011, 11:30 PM
how was the kids death linked to AIDS? I guess it goes beyond just being in the bloodstream. or was it theorized that the kid died from AIDS because he had similar symptoms to AIDS before anyone had heard of it?

He died of an incredibly odd set of infections and maladies that just weren't explainable. The doctors who treated him stored his tissue samples out of curiosity, and then tested them for HIV in the late 1980s whenever reliable tests came out and they came back positive.

He had a horrible infection of warts, was found to have Kaposi's sarcoma, and a number of other opportunistic infections.

His last name has been withheld for privacy issues, but he is known as Robert R.

There are newspaper articles on it from some years ago available in a Lexis search, even a Wiki article on him.

Hammock Parties
03-20-2011, 11:31 PM
What's the percentage of HIV pozzed up white folk compared to black folk?

Shogun
03-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Don't you guys know he injects himself with money? That is what sustains his youth/health.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2011, 11:32 PM

Most virologists now believe that it emigrated from primates to humans sometime in the early 20th century. Ranges have been given in the 1930s to even earlier.

Others believe that it may have made inroads into isolated populations even sooner than that, but in the earlier part of the century or even before that, without a reliable transportation network, prostitutes, and other vectors of infection, its ability to spread was severely hampered.

As far as how it made it to the U.S., the most commonly accepted route is the Congo to Haiti to the United States.

Hammock Parties
03-20-2011, 11:33 PM
A better question would be how much sex does Magic Johnson have, even though he has AIDS?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
What's the percentage of HIV pozzed up white folk compared to black folk?

It depends on the demographics of the internal population as well. The gay population of the US, both white and black, have a rate of infection that far outpaces the rate of infection in the heterosexual population, but the vast, vast majority of people infected in the world are heterosexual and contract it through heterosexual contact.

Blacks and Hispanics have the highest rates of infection in the US, with blacks being the highest by far.

Here's a chart of HIV diagnoses in the year 2008 and their corresponding piece of the pie by race:

http://www.avert.org/media/content/graphs/hiv-diagnosis-2008.jpg

CaliforniaChief
03-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Interesting information. I always thought it came from a tree.

Hammock Parties
03-20-2011, 11:44 PM
That chart says if you have a small penis, you won't get aids.

CrazyPhuD
03-20-2011, 11:48 PM

In St. Louis.

Did he get it by fucking infected sheep?

pr_capone
03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Blacks and Hispanics have the highest rates of infection in the US, with blacks being the highest by far.

http://www.avert.org/media/content/graphs/hiv-diagnosis-2008.jpg

Looks like Blacks and Whites have the highest rate of infection based on your chart.

Pitt Gorilla
03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Looks like Blacks and Whites have the highest rate of infection based on your chart.That chart doesn't show rate of infection.

Reaper16
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM

In St. Louis.
St. Louis is the WORST. Ugh.

Rams Fan
03-21-2011, 12:21 AM
St. Louis is the WORST. Ugh.

Care to explain why you feel that way?

Phobia
03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
seriously, WTF!

I don't know if this response is going to be timely but yes. Magic does have HIV so you should not sleep with him.

Fishpicker
03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
He died of an incredibly odd set of infections and maladies that just weren't explainable. The doctors who treated him stored his tissue samples out of curiosity, and then tested them for HIV in the late 1980s whenever reliable tests came out and they came back positive.

He had a horrible infection of warts, was found to have Kaposi's sarcoma, and a number of other opportunistic infections.

His last name has been withheld for privacy issues, but he is known as Robert R.

There are newspaper articles on it from some years ago available in a Lexis search, even a Wiki article on him.

there goes the Fort Detrick created Aids conspiracy right out the window

Phobia
03-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Robert R was probably the first chimp lover in the states.

johnny961
03-21-2011, 12:38 AM
uhhhh, yeah. you don't just lose HIV: it uses an enzyme (reverse transcriptase) to encode itself into your genome inside of your cells. there's currently no way to take it OUT of the gene locus that it's encoded into. as a matter of fact, there's evidence that a LOT of the DNA in our genomes got there via retroviruses (which HIV is one of). interesting, yeah?

I didn't know this. Just learned something. Now I at least understand why researchers have seemingly run into a brick wall with regards to attempts to completely eradicate the virus.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Looks like Blacks and Whites have the highest rate of infection based on your chart.

Not as a proportion of the population.

Titty Meat
03-21-2011, 12:47 AM

They also found scrapes on his asshole which means he certainly wasn't the first person to have aids in America.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Did he get it by fucking infected sheep?

His doctors thought that he was most likely a male prostitute. He never left the U.S., so it was impossible that he would have contracted it anywhere, so the disease was already within the borders at this time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2011, 12:49 AM
They also found scrapes on his asshole which means he certainly wasn't the first person to have aids in America.

Oh, he definitely wasn't, for reasons mentioned in my above post. He's just the first known case.

Bump
03-21-2011, 01:41 AM
If you are rich, HIV is no problem, if you are not rich, you are as good as dead.

Fishpicker
03-21-2011, 02:27 AM
this thread reminds me of John Holmes a bit. dude continued to have unprotected sex on camera even after emaciation had set in. but none of his female costars from those movies have been found or come forward to say they had been infected. thats just weird.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-21-2011, 05:48 AM
this thread reminds me of John Holmes a bit. dude continued to have unprotected sex on camera even after emaciation had set in. but none of his female costars from those movies have been found or come forward to say they had been infected. thats just weird.

I think he continued to have unprotected sex because they didn't make condoms in XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL

HMc
03-21-2011, 06:02 AM
The Tommy Morrison tale is pretty sad.

durtyrute
03-21-2011, 06:56 AM

The government

Ebolapox
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
I didn't know this. Just learned something. Now I at least understand why researchers have seemingly run into a brick wall with regards to attempts to completely eradicate the virus.

HIV is also an extremely agile virus--it evolves at a VERY high rate to get around host defenses and treatment regimens. which is also why the multi-drug cocktails are the most effective treatment, as it's much more difficult to evolve around multiple defenses/treatments than it is a single treatment.

Ebolapox
03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Most virologists now believe that it emigrated from primates to humans sometime in the early 20th century. Ranges have been given in the 1930s to even earlier.

Others believe that it may have made inroads into isolated populations even sooner than that, but in the earlier part of the century or even before that, without a reliable transportation network, prostitutes, and other vectors of infection, its ability to spread was severely hampered.

As far as how it made it to the U.S., the most commonly accepted route is the Congo to Haiti to the United States.

I don't have my evolutionary virology textbook in front of me, but it's believed that SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) has evolved/jumped into infecting humans (HIV) seven times. there are many different serotypes, and HIV evolves at a very rapid rate. will source this info later on, fwiw.

Bwana
03-21-2011, 07:35 AM
What the ....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/50710597_6fbbe1dcc7.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't have my evolutionary virology textbook in front of me, but it's believed that SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) has evolved/jumped into infecting humans (HIV) seven times. there are many different serotypes, and HIV evolves at a very rapid rate. will source this info later on, fwiw.

Yup.

Two main types, HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-2 is almost entirely segregated to Western Africa, and HIV-1 is almost everywhere else. From there, there are more than a dozen subtypes of HIV-1. I think that subtype B is most prevalent in the developed world and C is the most prevalent overall, due to its plurality in Africa.

WRT: John Holmes.

The odds of HIV transmission on a single encounter are actually not as high as you may think, the order of 1% or even slightly lower.

However, this can be exacerbated by other infections. One of reasons why some believe that HIV infection happens so readily in Africa is due to the prevalence of schistosomiasis (sp?) and genital ulcer disease.

JD10367
03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I think you're forgetting the part where he <strike>prays to Jesus every night</strike> has a shitload of money and thus can afford the most expensive and unusual treatments and spend all his time keeping his body in ultimate HIV-fighting shape because he doesn't have to slave away at a 9-to-5 job.

FYP

Fishpicker
03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Yup.

Two main types, HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-2 is almost entirely segregated to Western Africa, and HIV-1 is almost everywhere else. From there, there are more than a dozen subtypes of HIV-1. I think that subtype B is most prevalent in the developed world and C is the most prevalent overall, due to its plurality in Africa.

WRT: John Holmes.

The odds of HIV transmission on a single encounter are actually not as high as you may think, the order of 1% or even slightly lower.

However, this can be exacerbated by other infections. One of reasons why some believe that HIV infection happens so readily in Africa is due to the prevalence of schistosomiasis (sp?) and genital ulcer disease.

people have bleeding holes on their genitals and still have sex? wow.

good info on the rest.

kepp
03-21-2011, 09:10 AM

That's interesting. So can it actually be passed from mother to child genetically?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
That's interesting. So can it actually be passed from mother to child genetically?

The mutation on the CCR5 receptor can. If you have one allele (heterozygous) then you are more resistant to infection. If you have two, you are largely resistant.

There have been cases of people who have received blood transfusions from HIV-infected individuals who have not developed HIV, and there was one case of a man being "cured" of his HIV through a bone marrow transplant from a donor who had the homozygous mutation.*

This is not a feasible therapy though, as BMT is a very dangerous procedure with a high mortality rate and insane costs.

*No word on whether or not he was wearing a 3 Wolf Moon shirt.

kepp
03-21-2011, 09:20 AM
*No word on whether or not he was wearing a 3 Wolf Moon shirt.

Well they better figure that out, because it would completely invalidate the test.

pr_capone
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:164373" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s12e01-tonsil-trouble">Tonsil Trouble</a></b><br/>Tags: <a style="display: block; position: relative; top: -1.33em; float: right; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc00; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/">SOUTH<br/>PARK</a><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s12e01-tonsil-trouble">more...</a></p></div></div>

Bowser
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
This turned into an informative thread. I would have put money that this thread was going down in flames before I read it.

rambleonthruthefog
03-21-2011, 12:04 PM
This turned into an informative thread. I would have put money that this thread was going down in flames before I read it.

i also didn't expect to learn much. so does tommy lee still have hepatitis?

Demonpenz
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
it's important to dump out standing water so mosquito's don't breed so you don't get hiv

Easy 6
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM

No doubt, i'm getting a pretty good aids education.

The_Doctor10
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
it's important to dump out standing water so mosquito's don't breed so you don't get hiv

You can't contract HIV from a mosquito bite.