PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 34

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Mostly 70s (and maybe 80s) rockers in this heat, but paradoxically almost half are active on the circuit. Dunno if the Bay City Rollers are still touring.

seclark
03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
if not for 8-track tapes, i wouldn't remember anything about the 70's.
sec

Ebolapox
03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
bay city rollers, elton john and jimi hendrix.

Dartgod
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Thunder, Voodoo and suckage option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
1. Blue jean baby ...
2. We met some girls, some dancers who gave a good time ...
3. [insert kick-ass guitar playing]

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Voodoo and doo-doo.

patteeu
03-21-2011, 10:14 AM
People need to give Matchbox Twenty's "How Far We've Come" a listen. It's a really good song. I think it's the best in this heat with the possible exception of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

My third vote goes to Bob Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis" which I realized I liked for the first time a couple of days ago. This song edged out the Bay City Rollers for my last vote.

P.S. I bet Tiny Dancer is going to be tough to beat in this heat. :Poke:

patteeu
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
OMG! How is Tiny Dancer currently in third place?

Dartgod
Anybody voting for the Bay City Rollers should be stripped of their voting rights.

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night.... :Lin:

Posted via Mobile Device

Ebolapox
saddens me that bay city rollers won't move on. :(

Rausch
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
ROCK SONG.

Tiny Dancer over Rocket Queen?...

Ebolapox
03-21-2011, 10:19 AM
fwiw, bay city rollers gets my vote because of mike myers/ "so I married an axe murderer."

the first movie that he played multiple roles (as he'd later do to much humor in austin powers); myers' father (played by myers) was fuggin' hilarious.

HEAD.... MOVE.... NOW!

patteeu
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Tiny Dancer is an ode to pedophilia.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Tiny Dancer is an ode to pedophilia.

I really like the musical quality of the song, but that's just because I'm kind of an audiophile.

Reaper16
03-21-2011, 10:36 AM
My votes:
1.) "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" is one of my favorite Dylan songs. The organ slays me on this track.
2.) "Tiny Dancer" is a pretty great Elton John cut. There was no way I wasn't voting for it.
3.) While I'd like to throw Hendrix some love, I think AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" is a better, more fun song than "Voodoo Chile." So I'm voting for "Thunderstruck."

Garcia Bronco
03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Rocket Queen
Thunderstruck
Memphis Blues

patteeu
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
My votes:
2.) "Tiny Dancer" is a pretty great Elton John cut. There was no way I wasn't voting for it.

See what I mean!

Rausch
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Rocket Queen
Thunderstruck
Memphis Blues

This is how you should not vote...

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
How Far We've Come, Matchbox Twenty - How can you not like this song? It's fast, it's crisp, and it has content. #2 vote.

Thunderstruck, AC/DC - What was up with that voice? It sounded like a brawny hobbit was singing the song. It actually wasn't that bad a song, and I'm realizing that I like AC/DC consistently more than Guns N Roses, but it's not a vote-getter.

Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis , Bob Dylan - It's a decent song, I guess, but I sure wish the Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts or Tangled Up in Blue or The Times They Are A-Changing had been nominated so I could really get behind Bob.

Proper Stranger, The Guess Who - I like the guitar, and the song itself wasn't bad, but it fell into the wasteland between good primordial instinctive rock and roll and thoughtful make-you-think rock.

Tiny Dancer, Elton John (or Ben Folds) - Despite strong competition from Matchbox, this is an easy #1. Great song, and that was even before it singlehandedly kept Stillwater from breaking up.

Saturday Night, Bay City Rollers - I remember their star rising quickly at some point in the 70s, and they played at Six Flags near St. Louis when I visited. I thought, "Wow - Six Flags really scored," but my parents didn't want to stay late enough for us to see them. It's a relatively pleasant song, but not quite rocking enough or thought-provoking enough to vote for.

Rocket Queen, Guns N Roses - (Sigh.)

Voodoo Chile, Jimi Hendrix - I can see how some people would like it, and it has a unique sound. It's just not my cup o' tea.

I guess my #3 vote will go to suckage in this round.

Garcia Bronco
03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
This is how you should not vote...

LOL. Those are the best songs up there. If I could have voted for four...Jimmy would have made the cut.

Rausch
03-21-2011, 10:50 AM
How Far We've Come, Matchbox Twenty - How can you not like this song? It's fast, it's crisp, and it has content. #2 vote..

At this point I'm ready to hold a vote of no confidence...

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
At this point I'm ready to hold a vote of no confidence...

Give it a listen. It'll open your third eye to a new realm of consciousness.

Rausch
03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Give it a listen. It'll open your third eye to a new realm of consciousness.

No, that would be why I voted for the Floyd...

cdcox
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Rain Man]

Tiny Dancer, Elton John (or Ben Folds) - Despite strong competition from Matchbox, this is an easy #1. Great song, and that was even before it singlehandedly kept Stillwater from breaking up.

[\quote]

What round is Fever Dog in?

KC Tattoo
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmjdRyv_qBM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmjdRyv_qBM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Rocket Queen :thumb: It is awesomeness!!!

The sex part during the song is Axl doing Steven Adlers girl friend. He told her do it for the music. That is rock and roll.

Nzoner
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Burton Cummings vocals later in the song are fantastic and while I never thought the song would advance it's good to see at least 2 other people agree it's worthy of a vote.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kTPoRFcs22Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
What round is Fever Dog in?

I think it lost earlier to a Spinal Tap song and two songs by Josie and the Pussycats.

Chief Chief
03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Anybody voting for the Bay City Rollers should be stripped of their voting rights.

Posted via Mobile Device

But - but - but tomorrow's Saturday, so that means tomorrow night is Saturday night, which means tonight is F-R-I-D-A-Y night.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Once again, some mediocre AC/DC song is killing it. I just don't get it.

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Posted via Mobile DeviceIts better than that no-talent assclown Dylan.

Reaper16
03-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Its better than that no-talent assclown Dylan.
GROAN

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
and we don't even have a springsteen song in this heat at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

seclark
03-21-2011, 05:06 PM
and we don't even have a springsteen song inthis heat at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

wasn't he with the bay city rollers for awhile?
sec

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Shutdown. Moving on are:

Voodoo Chile
Thunderstruck
Tiny Dancer

At the end of the day today, we start on Round 2, and it's going to be a barnburner.

RNR
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM

One of the silliest things I have ever read here~

Garcia Bronco
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
One of the silliest things I have ever read here~

I have voted for every Dylan song in every heat. It's superior song writing compared to just about any person(s) presented.

Garcia Bronco
03-22-2011, 01:45 PM

this line is from some movie.

"May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
An may you stay, forever young"

patteeu
03-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Shutdown. Moving on are:

Voodoo Chile
Thunderstruck
Tiny Dancer

At the end of the day today, we start on Round 2, and it's going to be a barnburner.

pedophiles win

Omaha
03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
this line is from some movie.

Sorta. The phrase "no-talent assclown" was correctly used to describe Michael Bolton in Office Space.

RNR
03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I have voted for every Dylan song in every heat. It's superior song writing compared to just about any person(s) presented.

I understand music is subjective and everyone has different tastes or relates to a song for one reason or another. To compare Bob Dylan to a bubble gum joke like the Bay City Rollers is just silly. The poster may have been joking...I hope the sarcasm just shot above my head~