PDA

View Full Version : Legal SCOTUS slaps 9th circuit

alnorth
03-21-2011, 02:32 PM
The opinion today (Felkner v. Jackson) isn't about an important case or an important issue. (Prosecutor strikes 2 out of 3 black juror candidates during juror selection, defense objects, prosecutor offers some good race-neutral reasons for striking, defendant eventually loses, on appeal 2 california courts and a federal court all investigate at length to eventually conclude that the prosecutor didn't do anything wrong, 9th circuit reverses and throws out the conviction in an unsigned 3-paragraph memo without explaining why)

The supreme court didn't bother scheduling arguments or signing their opinion, they handed down a hilarious and rather harsh unanimous opinion.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/10-797.pdf

That decision is as inexplicable as it is unexplained. It is reversed.

There was simply no basis for the Ninth Circuit to reach the opposite conclusion, particularly in such a dismissive manner.

ROFL

AndChiefs
03-21-2011, 03:45 PM
But the ninth circuit is known for being so unbiased...

Amnorix
03-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Wow, that is a slap. Pretty bad. The 9th Circuit judges on that panel should be embarassed.

One blog referred to it as a "benchslapping". ROFL

The Ninth Circuit needs to get its s**t straightened out. Apparently this is the sixth unanimous reversal by the SCOTUS in seven decisions involving these topics.

AustinChief
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
The 9th is an embarrassment.

On a side note.. it's WAY past time for it to be split up. Keep the 9th for everything in the west except California. Split off California into a new 12th Circuit. No single circuit should represent 20% of the US population.

Direckshun
03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
wow

FYP

:D

AustinChief
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
FYP

:D

No no.. I reserve my "wows" for your posts!

Direckshun
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
No no.. I reserve my "wows" for your posts!

They are very wowy, I'll give you that.

vailpass
03-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow, that is a slap. Pretty bad. The 9th Circuit judges on that panel should be embarassed.

One blog referred to it as a "benchslapping". ROFL

The Ninth Circuit needs to get its s**t straightened out. Apparently this is the sixth unanimous reversal by the SCOTUS in seven decisions involving these topics.

LMAO
The 9th Circus needs to be re-located to Des Moines, Iowa until they can regain their equilibrium.

banyon
03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
This is peculiar to a particular statute, AEDPA (Anti-terrorism and effective Death Penalty Act of 1996), which the 9th circuit had messed up repeatedly on Habeas petition.

Still, it's got nothing on this supreme beatdown of a local attorney I've battled with in a Kansas opinion, Department of revenue v. Delong February 2011:

http://www.kscourts.org/Cases-and-Opinions/Opinions/CtApp/2011/20110225/104270.pdf

Amnorix
03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
This is peculiar to a particular statute, AEDPA (Anti-terrorism and effective Death Penalty Act of 1996), which the 9th circuit had messed up repeatedly on Habeas petition.

Still, it's got nothing on this supreme beatdown of a local attorney I've battled with in a Kansas opinion, Department of revenue v. Delong February 2011:

http://www.kscourts.org/Cases-and-Opinions/Opinions/CtApp/2011/20110225/104270.pdf

:rolleyes: That attorney needs to be faced with paying the state's costs if he tries that pathetic crap again. He seriously went into court and argued that? I wouldn't even have the guts to argue something so stupid.

trndobrd
03-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Did he appeal to the Supreme Court? Given the history of the KS Supreme Court the outcome would be a coinflip.