PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Former state auditor fails to pay Income Tax...Claire, really?

HonestChieffan
03-21-2011, 09:30 PM
The woman should never have been elected. Thread should say property tax. My error....

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., Failed to Pay $287,000 in Property Taxes on Aircraft
3:42 PM, MAR 21, 2011 • BY MARK HEMINGWAYSingle PagePrintLarger TextSmaller Text
In a conference call with reporters, Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill just disclosed that she failed to pay $287,000 in property taxes related to her co-ownership of a private aircraft. This scandal comes quickly on the heels of recent revelations that McCaskill improperly billed taxpayers for use of the same private aircraft, for which McCaskill reimbursed the Treasury $88,000:

Sen. Claire McCaskill is selling the personal plane that has caused her turbulence in recent weeks after POLITICO revealed she used taxpayer money to cover the cost of political travel.

The first-term Democrat said she was very happy she was able to convince her husband to "sell the damn plane."

In a conference call Monday afternoon, McCaskill revealed that after her own review of the plane's records, she had not paid personal property taxes on the aircraft over the past four years.

"I have discovered that the personal property taxes on the plane have not been paid. There should have been a reporting to the county of the existence of this plane. There are people I could blame for this, but I know better. I take full responsibility," McCaskill said to reporters, after revealing she had conducted her own audit of all 89 flights she had taken.

"This was a mistake, It should have been reported in Missouri. It will be paid in Missouri today," she said.

McCaskill said she would be sending a check for $287,273 to St. Louis County Monday for the back taxes she owed between 2007 and 2010.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 06:53 AM
I like how she intimates that there are people she could blame before claiming to take full responsibility, as if there's any virtue in claiming to take responsibility in a situation without consequences.

petegz28
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
So does her check include penalties and interest like any of us would have to pay or is his another "oops I fudged my taxes" claim by another Democrat that will be forgiven?

blaise
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I like how she intimates that there are people she could blame before claiming to take full responsibility, as if there's any virtue in claiming to take responsibility in a situation without consequences.

Yeah, "I could blame someone else" is like having your cake and eating it, too. That's saying someone else is to blame, but not naming names so the supposed person can't defend himself.

alpha_omega
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
It sounds like it's the planes fault.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 12:35 PM
It sounds like it's the planes fault.

damn plane!

Warrior5
03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
It's obviously Bush's fault...

mikey23545
03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
This sounds like the kind of woman we need in the President's administration.

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:10 PM
McCaskill revealed that after her own review of the plane's records, she had not paid personal property taxes on the aircraft over the past four years.

"I have discovered that the personal property taxes on the plane have not been paid. There should have been a reporting to the county of the existence of this plane. There are people I could blame for this, but I know better. I take full responsibility," McCaskill said to reporters, after revealing she had conducted her own audit of all 89 flights she had taken.

Not many times you see a politician say they take full responsibility.

HonestChieffan
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

what could she say....

blaise
03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
There are people I could blame for this, but I know better. I take full responsibility," McCaskill said to reporters.

I don't give her too much credit for taking full responsibility when she's implying it's not her fault.

RaiderH8r
03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
what could she say....

Nothing she hadn't already tried before...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rzLA51Hf_L8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
what could she say....

She could have said nothing and just paid the taxes owed. According to the article she conducted her own audit and found the error, and not someone else. Sounds fairly responsible to me to publically reveal the error.

You're just trying to play a caughtcha game when there isn't one there. But I guess when ou have to whine and cry about something...

chopper
03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
She probably does have reason to be upset with her accountant, but don't "take full responsibility" just because you feel like you have to, to avoid more bad press. Just come out and say you f'd up.
Posted via Mobile Device

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't give her too much credit for taking full responsibility when she's implying it's not her fault.

Did she take responsiblity for it or not?

blaise
03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Did she take responsiblity for it or not?

Did she imply it was somebody else's fault or not?

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Did she imply it was somebody else's fault or not?

Did she take responsibilty for it or not?

blaise
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Did she take responsibilty for it or not?

She said she did, but to me, implying it wasn't her fault isn't really accepting blame. Did she imply someone else was to blame or not?

patteeu
03-22-2011, 01:30 PM

:LOL: Haha

patteeu
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
She could have said nothing and just paid the taxes owed. According to the article she conducted her own audit and found the error, and not someone else. Sounds fairly responsible to me to publically reveal the error.

You're just trying to play a caughtcha game when there isn't one there. But I guess when ou have to whine and cry about something...

She found the "error" because she knew that Politico was about to bust her.

FishingRod
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
So just how much does a plane cost that you have to pay $287,000 in property tax. 10-15 Mil~ ?

patteeu
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
So just how much does a plane cost that you have to pay $287,000 in property tax. 10-15 Mil~ ?

I wouldn't know, but it's probably a multi-year thing.

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
She said she did, but to me, implying it wasn't her fault isn't really accepting blame. Did she imply someone else was to blame or not?

With her additionally saying she knows better than to blame someone else. No, not really.

Sounds like to me she blames herself for not following her taxes more closely. It was just a way of saying she paid someone to handle her taxes but she wasn't diligent enough to follow it up on the accuracy, in not so many words. Hence the reason she took full responsibilty.

I'm glad we are in agreement that she took full responsibilty.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
With her additionally saying she knows better than to blame someone else. No, not really.

Sounds like to me she blames herself for not following her taxes more closely. It was just a way of saying she paid someone to handle her taxes but she wasn't diligent enough to follow it up on the accuracy, in not so many words. Hence the reason she took full responsibilty.

Sounds to me like you'd believe anything she said no matter how implausible.

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
She found the "error" because she knew that Politico was about to bust her.

So you believe she knowingly was evading her taxes?

patteeu
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
So you believe she knowingly was evading her taxes?

I don't believe she's too worried about getting her taxes right. And I don't believe she's taken any meaningful responsibility.

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Sounds to me like you'd believe anything she said no matter how implausible.

No.

RubberSponge
03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't believe she's too worried about getting her taxes right. And I don't believe she's taken any meaningful responsibility.

Okay.

I'd say paying what was owed is taking meaningful responsibility.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Okay.

I'd say paying what was owed is taking meaningful responsibility.

Paying what was owed is avoiding a prison sentence.

blaise
03-22-2011, 01:55 PM

So, she implied someone else was to blame?

blaise
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
"It's really someone else's fault, but ok, I'll take responsibility."

RaiderH8r
03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
"It's really someone else's fault, but ok, I'll take responsibility."

It's right up there with "Problems inherited from the previous administration."

blaise
03-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I see now how easy it can be to be heroic to RubberSponge. Don't pay your bills, then pay them the way you were supposed to to begin with. But not before saying it was someone else's fault.
"Let me pat myself on the back here. I'm paying you this $50 I borrowed 4 years ago. It was really someone else's fault, but I'll pay it. Praise me."
Claire is a true hero.

chiefsnorth
03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Sounds like she's angling for a cabinet post.

fan4ever
03-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Somebody should take full responsiblity for drinking the Kool-Aid. :spock:

blaise
03-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I predict that years from now this story will be right up there in American mythology with George Washington and the cherry tree.

So heroic.

chiefsnorth
03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Come on people, who among us hasn't forgotten we owned a private airplane or two?

RubberSponge
03-23-2011, 12:28 AM
I see now how easy it can be to be heroic to RubberSponge. Don't pay your bills, then pay them the way you were supposed to to begin with. But not before saying it was someone else's fault.
"Let me pat myself on the back here. I'm paying you this $50 I borrowed 4 years ago. It was really someone else's fault, but I'll pay it. Praise me."
Claire is a true hero.

what a piss poor analogy that isn't based on any fact whatsoever

Better hold on tight to your purse, ethel. I may walk by and steal it, you know.

blaise
03-23-2011, 05:25 AM
what a piss poor analogy that isn't based on any fact whatsoever

Better hold on tight to your purse, ethel. I may walk by and steal it, you know.

Claire McCaskill: Paying what she owed. A true American hero.

RubberSponge
03-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Claire McCaskill: Paying what she owed. A true American hero.

Show me where I have posted that. I'll be waiting.

Why do you feel the need to misrepresent what I have posted? Is that how low your position has boiled down to? Or do you just like being that petty?

blaise
03-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Show me where I have posted that. I'll be waiting.

Why do you feel the need to misrepresent what I have posted? Is that how low your position has boiled down to? Or do you just like being that petty?

Future movie idea for 2043:
One woman dared to take responsibility for the money she owed, but hadn't paid. This summer, Drew Barrymore stars as Claire McCaskill in "She Dared to Pay"
(explosions. The sounds of papers being shuffled. A car chase)
Claire McCaskill: I. Take. Full. Responsibility.
Staffer: CLAIRE! NO! Someone else was at fault.
Claire: Yes, someone else is to blame. But because it was my debt, I will dare to pay.
(all staffers in the room stand and applaud)
She Dared to Pay, this summer.

RubberSponge
03-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Well hell, I didn't realize I was conversing with the situation. Good luck to ya.

blaise
03-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Well hell, I didn't realize I was conversing with the situation. Good luck to ya.

Actually, I didn't post that above post. I could tell you who is to blame for it, but I'll take full responsibility.

Where's my medal?

I don't know what The Situation talks like, by the way. I guess you're a fan of the show or something. Good for you.

HonestChieffan
03-23-2011, 06:33 AM

I suppose you have a point. The woman makes my skin crawl. So I probably do have a small "gotcha" thing going. On the other hand I find it difficult to just say oh well, it can happen to anyone. She and her husband have a net worth that puts them in the top 10 most wealthy US Senators with massive holdings in a number of business enterprises. Maybe the rest of their books need some oversight? And not only was she state auditor, her badge has been she is the strong fiscal hard line hawk that watches every penny....ok then. Owning an airplane is not terribly common. Owning one that has the value this one had is an investment large enough one would not expect it to slide under the radar so to speak.

It was on the books as an asset, it likely was financed, it had a ton of required expenses, and they flew in it a lot. I bet they claimed every dime in expense and every depreciation dollar they can. Its not like they failed to pay property tax an a 8 foot flatbed utility trailer they got at an auction in Illinois and never bought tags for it.

And if it was a one year misfire the year they moved it from Illinois to Missouri, Id be ok with that. But to do it for 4 years?

That said, again you are right in that I would be delighted to have a gotcha every week on this woman.

RubberSponge
03-23-2011, 06:54 AM
I suppose you have a point. The woman makes my skin crawl. So I probably do have a small "gotcha" thing going. On the other hand I find it difficult to just say oh well, it can happen to anyone. She and her husband have a net worth that puts them in the top 10 most wealthy US Senators with massive holdings in a number of business enterprises. Maybe the rest of their books need some oversight? And not only was she state auditor, her badge has been she is the strong fiscal hard line hawk that watches every penny....ok then. Owning an airplane is not terribly common. Owning one that has the value this one had is an investment large enough one would not expect it to slide under the radar so to speak.

It was on the books as an asset, it likely was financed, it had a ton of required expenses, and they flew in it a lot. I bet they claimed every dime in expense and every depreciation dollar they can. Its not like they failed to pay property tax an a 8 foot flatbed utility trailer they got at an auction in Illinois and never bought tags for it.

And if it was a one year misfire the year they moved it from Illinois to Missouri, Id be ok with that. But to do it for 4 years?

That said, again you are right in that I would be delighted to have a gotcha every week on this woman.

I can understand that completely. Most politicians from both sides of the aisle I don't trust very much. It's the stink that comes from national politics that completely turns me off.

I may be saying too much here but my F-I-L is very good friends with a recently defeated congressman, and has been for decades. I'm not going to name who. But prior to this person being in national politics they didn't have much of a pot to piss in beyond middle class means. Today he is a multimillionaire from being a politician. I firmly believe anyone in national politics is really in it for themselves to stuff their pockets rather than being a public servant. Will of the people my ass.