PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 35

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Here it is, the end of the marathon. We cross the finish line of Round 1, exhausted but satisfied.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LKhkvSRQZYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gadzooks
03-21-2011, 10:44 PM
But wait. Where's the suckage option?

Gadzooks
03-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Damn, I'm way too fast.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
But wait. Where's the suckage option?

Wow, you're right. No Guns N Roses option in this one.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Deep Purple, Van Halen, Peter Gabriel.

Reaper16
03-21-2011, 10:47 PM
My votes:
1.) "Back in the USSR" is one of my favorite Beatles tunes.
2.) "American Woman" is a bonafide classic. It suffers from overexposure, but it's still good.
3.) "Highway Star" is totally underrated. That song rules.

KcMizzou
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I went with...

SRV
Beatles
The Guess Who

Van Halen's gonna get a lot of votes, but I've never been a fan.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I went with...

SRV
Beatles
The Guess Who

Eh, their pre-Diver Down stuff was pretty good. 1984 was a fucking atrocity.

Phobia
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM

I loved them back in the day. Could do without them now. In fact, I've not listened to a VH song in a very, very long time.

KC Tattoo
03-21-2011, 11:07 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIIEfX7JksE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIIEfX7JksE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Get funky with it.

mikey23545
03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
It's too bad Solsbury Hill won't stand a chance...An excellent, excellent, tune.

MoreLemonPledge
03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
No fucking Radiohead.

Entire poll is invalid.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 11:17 PM
It's too bad Solsbury Hill won't stand a chance...An excellent, excellent, tune.
This.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9fF8wU4Nl9Y" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Little Wing, Stevie Ray Vaughn - Maybe it was just a bad recording, but I couldn't hear the lyrics at all. And the guitar was not pleasant to the ear. Definite no.

Highway Star, Deep Purple - This sounds like a song that Rebecca Black would have written. Definite no.

Searching So Long, Chicago - So we nominated this over 25 or 6 to 4? Really? It's better than the first two, but that's like saying that Cameroon has a higher GDP than the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Runnin' With the Devil, Van Halen - Okay, this one is at least not objectionable. Not worth a vote, though. Pretty darn simple, and could have been written by a high schooler.

Back in the USSR, the Beatles - This about my 900th-favorite Beatles song, but I'll give it a vote since it's at least high quality. #2 vote.

Achilles' Last Stand, Led Zeppelin - Is this heat some kind of cruel joke? Screeching guitars, no discernible pattern. Move on, move on. Nothing to see here.

Solsbury Hill, Peter Gabriel - It's an okay song, and okay is a big winner in this heat. #3 vote, ahead of suckage only because I'm in a good mood.

American Woman, The Guess Who - This is a fine song. I'll give it my #1 vote, though it would get chewed up in a majority of the previous heats.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I loved them back in the day. Could do without them now. In fact, I've not listened to a VH song in a very, very long time.

I like Jump, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with another one that I like. Maybe there is, and it's one of those songs that I like, but never know who sings it.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
No ****ing Radiohead.

Entire poll is invalid.

A whole bunch of Radiohead songs were nominated, but I had to kick them out to make room for more Springsteen songs. It was a tough call, but the right thing to do.

KC Tattoo
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM

---

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GYUGXuTNsic&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GYUGXuTNsic&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I may have voted for this, for a Peter Gabriel song.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 11:29 PM
I like Jump, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with another one that I like. Maybe there is, and it's one of those songs that I like, but never know who sings it.
Jump? Fucking Jump? What in the hell is wrong with you, that was their WORST. SONG. EVER.

Chiefburger
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
No ****ing Radiohead.

Entire poll is invalid.

This. Kinda. Karma Police was nominated but disregarded, just like every classic by Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Tool, Tom Green. No respect for the 90s. Too much shit by AC/DC and Bob Dylan.

My votes go: Little Wing, American Woman, Solsbury Hill.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Jump? ****ing Jump? What in the hell is wrong with you, that was their WORST. SONG. EVER.

Actually, you're right. I just listened to it to be sure, and that's not the song I was thinking about.

Motion withdrawn.

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:43 PM
I know there's some Van Halen song I like. What is it?

I like "I can't drive 55", but that's not really Van Halen.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 11:45 PM

That's Sammy Hagar from when he wasn't with Van Halen. Is the one you're thinking of with Sammy or Dave singing?

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Here's my favorite VH song.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U2R2KXNQR1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:46 PM
That's Sammy Hagar from when he wasn't with Van Halen. Is the one you're thinking of with Sammy or Dave singing?

I have no idea. I really don't know much about Van Halen. I just remember that they had one fast song that I liked. Of course, now I'm even wondering about that.

I'm determined to solve this mystery.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 11:49 PM
I have no idea. I really don't know much about Van Halen. I just remember that they had one fast song that I liked. Of course, now I'm even wondering about that.

I'm determined to solve this mystery.
It better not be anything from the 1984 album.

Baconeater
03-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Is this it?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HB8WHA3WWz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Is this it?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HB8WHA3WWz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I kind of like that song, but that doesn't sound like the version I like. Are they the first ones who did that song?

I'm scrolling through the web sites of Van Halen's "best" songs, and I'm not seeing anything worth a darn. Maybe I've got them mixed up with someone else.

Baconeater
03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
I kind of like that song, but that doesn't sound like the version I like. Are they the first ones who did that song?

I'm scrolling through the web sites of Van Halen's "best" songs, and I'm not seeing anything worth a darn. Maybe I've got them mixed up with someone else.
Nah, The Kinks originally did that song. That was one of the criticisms of VH, most of their early hits were covers of other band's songs. 1984 was their first entirely original album, and it was obvious after that why they covered so many songs.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Well, gosh. Apparently I don't like Van Halen at all. I thought I at least liked a little bit of their stuff, but I guess I don't. Thank you for setting me straight.

MoreLemonPledge
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Little Wing is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful guitar songs ever written. I'm surprised you didn't like it, Rain Man. Did you listen to a proper recording? I personally prefer the Hendrix version, but SRV can fucking shred.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ad2EPO_y0ps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zAG-kX_IlUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
03-22-2011, 04:39 AM

You're thinking of Panama, I'm sure of it.

ChiefButthurt
03-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Little Wing, Stevie Ray Vaughn - Maybe it was just a bad recording, but I couldn't hear the lyrics at all. And the guitar was not pleasant to the ear. Definite no.

Highway Star, Deep Purple - This sounds like a song that Rebecca Black would have written. Definite no.

Searching So Long, Chicago - So we nominated this over 25 or 6 to 4? Really? It's better than the first two, but that's like saying that Cameroon has a higher GDP than the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Runnin' With the Devil, Van Halen - Okay, this one is at least not objectionable. Not worth a vote, though. Pretty darn simple, and could have been written by a high schooler.

Back in the USSR, the Beatles - This about my 900th-favorite Beatles song, but I'll give it a vote since it's at least high quality. #2 vote.

Achilles' Last Stand, Led Zeppelin - Is this heat some kind of cruel joke? Screeching guitars, no discernible pattern. Move on, move on. Nothing to see here.

Solsbury Hill, Peter Gabriel - It's an okay song, and okay is a big winner in this heat. #3 vote, ahead of suckage only because I'm in a good mood.

American Woman, The Guess Who - This is a fine song. I'll give it my #1 vote, though it would get chewed up in a majority of the previous heats.

You're the "Simon Cowell" of ChiefsPlanet.

"Bob" Dobbs
03-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Nah, The Kinks originally did that song. That was one of the criticisms of VH, most of their early hits were covers of other band's songs. 1984 was their first entirely original album, and it was obvious after that why they covered so many songs.
Much the same argument would apply to The Beatles, hence why that argument sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod
03-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Tough heat.

Deep Purple, Van Halen, Beatles

patteeu
03-22-2011, 06:31 AM
My votes go to Van Halen, the Beatles, and the Guess Who.

blaise
03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Man, I guess I think Running With the Devil is better than some of you. I consider that a great rock sond.

"Bob" Dobbs
03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Heh. As an aside, the video in the OP is pretty funny.

DA_T_84
03-22-2011, 09:49 AM

I was going to post this exactly.

loochy
03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Here it is, the end of the marathon. We cross the finish line of Round 1, exhausted but satisfied.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LKhkvSRQZYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WTF? Is that footage from the 1944 Auschwitz Marathon?

Drwbllz
03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
This might be the most complete list from top to bottom so far.

Solsbury Hill, Little Wing, Back in the USSR

Omaha
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Yeah, but it don't rokk yer overalls off like them there AD/DC & Boston songs does.

lcarus
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
My votes:
1.) "Back in the USSR" is one of my favorite Beatles tunes.
2.) "American Woman" is a bonafide classic. It suffers from overexposure, but it's still good.
3.) "Highway Star" is totally underrated. That song rules.

Those were my votes as well. Runnin' With The Devil doesn't even compare to these three.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Shutdown. Rounding out the field for Round 2 are:

American Woman
Runnin' With The Devil
Back in the USSR

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Those were my votes as well. Runnin' With The Devil doesn't even compare to these three.
"Runnin' with the Devil" is a terrible song.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 05:01 PM
"Runnin' with the Devil" is a terrible song.

You are correct.

blaise
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Fuck that, Running With the Devil is great.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Allow me to play the bass guitar on "Runnin' With the Devil":

*plays open E note in 1/4 time for entire song*

Gracie Dean
03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Chicago is the best and that is one of THE best songs ever

Easy 6
03-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Chicago is the best and that is one of THE best songs ever

If you would please sign here... and here, you can now forfeit your right to vote in future polls.

DJ's left nut
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
You are correct.

You are also correct

**** that, Running With the Devil is great.

You are not.

Guess Who and The Beatles got my first 2. Solsbury Hill really was a great song but ultimately I couldn't vote against SRV; he's the man.

No matter, I knew that shitty VanHalen schlock rock was going to advance. Afterall, 'Dream Police' and Kansas's entire catalog did.

blaise
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM

I don't really care how difficult it is to play a song. Some guy could play an incredibly difficult song, but that doesn't mean it's any good to listen to. There's probably Joan Miro paintings I could copy, but that doesn't diminish the painting, or fact that he created it. Not in my mind, anyway.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM

How long do you think it would take Michael Anthony to master Neil Young's guitar solo in Cinnamon Girl? (Just one note over & over)

Easy 6
03-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't really care how difficult it is to play a song. Some guy could play an incredibly difficult song, but that doesn't mean it's any good to listen to. There's probably Joan Miro paintings I could copy, but that doesn't diminish the painting, or fact that he created it. Not in my mind, anyway.

Big Blast of Truth.

Technical perfection means absolutely. nothing. in the making of great music.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Is this it?

That song needs this song. Original was embedding disabled.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sr8C29w6kYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>