PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues The foreign-policy debate is going where Ron Paul already was

Taco John
03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
The foreign-policy debate is going where Ron Paul already wasUpdated: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 2:22 PM

As I've noted, the 2012 Republican presidential primary will be vastly different from the 2008 race.

Back then Ron paul was roundly derided for endorsing the traditional conservative approach toward foreign policy.

This time around, a lot of the others are going to have to make a choice between conservatism and the liberal internationalism of the so-called "neo" conservatives. This piece on Haley Barbour from The Hill shows that the debate has begun:

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R) may have set the tone for the foreign policy debate in the Republican presidential nominating contest when he questioned the war in Afghanistan and its costs.

Barbourís comments were quickly met with derision from the neocon wing of the GOP, but some Tea Party-affiliated lawmakers said the governor was taking a strong conservative stand on spending.

The differing reactions illustrate a tough political reality for Republicans in 2012: Even as public opinion increasingly turns against the war in Afghanistan and concern over the deficit intensifies, embracing talk of defense cuts and troop pullouts may still be a bridge too far.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-presidential-primary/150865-by-questioning-afghan-war-barbour-could-change-the-gop-debate

And note the squeals from Bill "My Mommy Was a Commie" Kristol:

Neocons pounced on his statements. Writing in The Weekly Standard, Bill Kristol called Barbour's comments "irresponsible" and accused him of "pandering" to public opinion, suggesting there may be an opening in 2012 for a candidate who questions the direction in Afghanistan and puts defense cuts on the table.

The writer goes on to note that it's impossible to balance the budget without reconsidering the role of policeman of the world that the neocons assigned to America.

Once the GOP primary races start heating up, of course, all of the candidates will be talking about balancing the budget.

If Paul runs, he will be the conscience of the party on that issue. I saw this dynamic in action at the Conservative Political Action Conference. Most of the candidates got up and won applause by denouncing President Obama as a big spender. But Paul and his son Rand, the Kentucky senator, pointed out that cuts of a few billion here and there are meaningless. The big-bucks spending is in the military and in Medicare and Social Security. Cut there or admit you're a big spender who will have deficits to the horizon.

So this time around we are going to get a real debate, at least when it comes to foreign policy. It should be great fun, and we can all thank Ron Paul for initiating it.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2011/03/the_trent_toward.html

BucEyedPea
03-22-2011, 10:29 PM
"My Mommy Was a Commie" LMAO

Fishpicker
03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Kristol cracks me up. The few pols that talk about fiscal restraint and what we need to cut get accused of pandering.

Chocolate Hog
03-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Barbor, Paul, Johnson, and Trump should all run. You'd have 4 guys who are closer to the classic conservative model on foreign policy.

Taco John
03-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Barbor, Paul, Johnson, and Trump should all run. You'd have 4 guys who are closer to the classic conservative model on foreign policy.

I think Libya has cemented the anti-war sentiment in conservative America. This is going to be seen as Obama's war - and it will be a failure for him. There are still going to be plenty of pro-war neocons, but not enough to lead a coalition. They're just voices in the crowd at this point, and their message that war is good, Obama is just doing it wrong isn't going to be well responded to in the current environment.

Libya really weakens Obama for 2012. He's trying to hide behind the UN's skirt on this, but I don't think that will work. There are not enough "humanitarian war" types on the left to make a pro-war coalition from the left work for the long term.

Chocolate Hog
03-23-2011, 02:27 AM
I think Libya has cemented the anti-war sentiment in conservative America. This is going to be seen as Obama's war - and it will be a failure for him. There are still going to be plenty of pro-war neocons, but not enough to lead a coalition. They're just voices in the crowd at this point, and their message that war is good, Obama is just doing it wrong isn't going to be well responded to in the current environment.

Libya really weakens Obama for 2012. He's trying to hide behind the UN's skirt on this, but I don't think that will work. There are not enough "humanitarian war" types on the left to make a pro-war coalition from the left work for the long term.

The three front runners are neo-cons: Romney, Huckabee, Pawlenty. If the others that I mentioned run then yes we will see a great fight for the Republican party. I wanna know where the so called Tea Party candidate Herman Cain stands on all this.....

Fishpicker
03-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Huckabee scares me the most. that guy is dangerous.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iyUXdkrwrd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I cant stand hawks that give credit to Jesus. Huck is a Bible humping addict in the same vein as W. Except Huck is serious.

SNR
03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I can't really get excited about this considering it's all for show. None of these conservatives actually believe in a pro-freedom foreign policy. All they believe in is a pro-get-obama-out-of-office foreign policy. And once he's out of office and the Republicans are back in they'll continue the same bullshit that they've always done while in power

BucEyedPea
03-23-2011, 11:37 PM
I can't really get excited about this considering it's all for show. None of these conservatives actually believe in a pro-freedom foreign policy. All they believe in is a pro-get-obama-out-of-office foreign policy. And once he's out of office and the Republicans are back in they'll continue the same bullshit that they've always done while in power

yup

Bewbies
03-23-2011, 11:44 PM
As broke as we are you'd think someone would come up with the noble idea of trying to trim our budget of things like---unnecessary overseas bases and wars??

OR, why in the hell aren't we getting paid back in oil or something else of value from Iraq even?