PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Haley mum on changes to Chiefs’ offensive line

Tribal Warfare
03-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Haley mum on changes to Chiefs’ offensive line (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/22/2745816/haley-mum-on-changes-to-chiefs.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

NEW ORLEANS | The Chiefs led the NFL in rushing and greatly reduced the number of sacks they allowed last year, but changes could be coming to their offensive line.

Coach Todd Haley, speaking at the NFL’s annual meetings, declined to commit to Branden Albert as the starting left tackle next season. Haley also had some interesting comments about left guard Brian Waters, who made the Pro Bowl for the fifth time in his career last season.

Haley wouldn’t discuss this subject, but some people in the Chiefs organization have said Waters was no better than the third-best offensive lineman on the team behind guard Ryan Lilja and center Casey Wiegmann.

Change could come naturally at center. Wiegmann, who will be 38 in July and has played 15 NFL seasons, is considering retirement.

Possible moves could be tied to the Chiefs’ final two games of last season, a regular-season loss to Oakland and a playoff defeat against Baltimore. The Chiefs had well under their season average in rushing yardage in each game and quarterback Matt Cassel was sacked a total of 10 times.

The decision regarding Albert is becoming an annual one for the Chiefs. They used a first-round draft pick in 2008 on Albert, hoping he could be their franchise left tackle.

But after three seasons, Albert is still having trouble establishing himself as that kind of player. It’s a good year for offensive tackles in the draft. As many as six appear to have the realistic potential of becoming solid NFL players over the long term, and that’s exactly the kind of player Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli prefers to the riskier boom or bust type.

Asked whether Albert will be his left tackle next season, Haley said, “We’ll see. He will be as long as he’s the best one.”

Haley then made it clear that the Chiefs haven’t given up on Albert. He played mostly at guard in college, so he was learning a new position when he arrived in Kansas City.

The Chiefs also asked him to play at a much lighter weight after Haley was hired, and Albert had some trouble adjusting. Given that, Haley said he doesn’t believe Albert has reached his potential.

“We won 10 games. Our sacks went down. We led the league in rushing,” Haley said. “Sometimes that’s what gets lost and those guys don’t get the credit. All the credit goes to the running back.

“When you’re a guy that played all the games on a team that’s done that … He’s playing a tough position where every week you’re lining up against a big gun. I think Branden did a terrific job and my expectations are great. Branden understands that.”

If they draft a replacement, the Chiefs would find a place for Albert either at right tackle or elsewhere on the line.

“It’s a key year for him,” Haley said. “Branden made terrific strides from our year one to our year two. He’s really grown as a professional as far as his understanding of what it takes to be a real good player in our league. I know that’s what Branden wants to be.

“Competition is always good. Anytime we can bring in good players at a position, we’ll do it.”

Haley began his comments on Waters, 34, by saying he had a “terrific year.” He then added, “Things start to happen to guys when you get to the age where he is. He was recognized by his peers last year (with selection to the Pro Bowl), which was nice.

“You never know how everything is going to go. We’re trying to get better. We’ll do anything and everything to try to create competition with the right kind of guys.”

The Chiefs last year drafted guard Jon Asamoah in the third round. While he was one of their few 2010 picks who played little as a rookie, the Chiefs believe Asamoah eventually will become a solid starter.

He started one game last year at guard in place of the injured Lilja, and the Chiefs had a season-high 274 yards in their win over Buffalo.

Running back Thomas Jones, who will be 33 in August, said after the playoff game that he would need some time before deciding whether he would return for a 12th NFL season. Haley said Jones would play again this season.

“I couldn’t be more excited about what Thomas Jones has brought to this team both as a player and as a leader,” Haley said of Jones, who had 15 more carries than Jamaal Charles last season but almost 600 fewer yards.

“He’s the epitome of the same guy every day. We’ve got a little plan for Thomas that I’m excited about getting to. I’m excited to have Thomas back. He’s a big part of what we’re doing.”

Neither Wiegmann nor linebacker Mike Vrabel, who will be 36 in August, has a contract for 2011. Asked whether Vrabel would play next season, Haley said, “I don’t know. He’s done it for a long time. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

The Chiefs likely will accept both players back. But each could have his playing time reduced.

“I don’t think I’m allowed to talk about anybody not under contract,” Haley said. “But I can’t say anything but great things about Mike Vrabel. The same thing with Casey. Those are guys that were difference-makers for us.”

Chocolate Hog
03-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Can't really do much when theres a lockout.....

Chiefs=Good
03-23-2011, 03:08 AM
well if Tyron Smith falls...

:D

talastan
03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Teicher just gave Saccopoo a O-line-gasm.

Marcellus
03-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I thought Weigmann was supposed to have been horrible last year.

Dante84
03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
“He’s the epitome of the same guy every day. We’ve got a little plan for Thomas that I’m excited about getting to. I’m excited to have Thomas back. He’s a big part of what we’re doing.”

What could this be?

talastan
03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
What could this be?

Hopefully something involving a clipboard and maybe a headset.

Cave Johnson
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
What could this be?

Factor back?

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
What could this be?

Fullback? I don't know what Jones weighs, but you have to figure he's strong enough.

warrior
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Fullback? I don't know what Jones weighs, but you have to figure he's strong enough.

This is what I would guess. ;)

booyaf2
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
What could this be?

Hopefully less carries. :shrug:

dannybcaitlyn
03-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Hopefully something involving a clipboard and maybe a headset.

THIS!!

Pestilence
03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
How about you stick a fucking quality guard next to him for once.

Woodrow Call
03-23-2011, 10:06 AM
How about you stick a ****ing quality guard next to him for once.

Judging by Haley's comments on Waters, I'd say it's about to happen.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
not horrible but limited

he is smaller guy who struggles to move guys in the middle, he's a athletic pull type center. I think our running game validates that to because we ran the ball much better on the edges than inside.

Also he tends to run out of gas as the season goes on because he loses weight. I think last year also supports that with Thomas Jones completely running out of gas with inside running.

how much of that was Wiegmann and how much of it was Jones running out of gas? Harder competition?

but Wiegmann isn't a complete center and we need to look for a replacement even if we bring him back for 1 more year.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
What could this be?
fullback?

ReynardMuldrake
03-23-2011, 10:12 AM

I have to think fullback would be a better match with his skill set. Plus I don't think he would have trouble bulking up if he needs to.

SNR
03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I remember our first two preseason games this year. Our offense was fucking horrible. Couldn't run shit. Cassel sucked. Our receivers sucked. Teams were forcing negative plays on us. The season looked bleak.

It wasn't until the 3rd preseason game when our rushing attack really started to get into gear. It seems that after that point we transformed into a good offense that knows how to run the ball. And that transformation involved putting Niswanger's ass on the bench and starting Weigmann full time at center.

Pestilence
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
We obviously need to come away from this offseason with a new Center and competition at RT. Get rid of Waters and have Asamoah/Lilja as our OGs.

Rausch
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
We obviously need to come away from this offseason with a new Center and competition at RT. Get rid of Waters and have Asamoah/Lilja as our OGs.

We need more than competition at RT.

BigCatDaddy
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I have to think fullback would be a better match with his skill set. Plus I don't think he would have trouble bulking up if he needs to.

Marcus Allen did it.

Dante84
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
What's Waters trade value?

I'd think a team would part with a 4th.... maaaaaaaaybe a 3rd if they were desperate for guard help. (speaking of which... who are those teams?)

With an extra pick, we will have the ability to draft for depth behind Lilja & Asstomouth.

suds79
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
From the article:

The Chiefs also asked him to play at a much lighter weight after Haley was hired, and Albert had some trouble adjusting.

Whenever I think about how that all worked out, I'm reminded of the old, bad joke.

Patient - "Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doc - "Then don't do that."

If Brandon was best at the heavier weight his rookie year, then don't jack with him and ask him to shed a bunch. Why mess with a good thing?

That's like asking Jamaal Charles to put on a bunch of lbs and adopt more of a power runner approach.

BigCatDaddy
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
What's Waters trade value?

I'd think a team would part with a 4th.... maaaaaaaaybe a 3rd if they were desperate for guard help. (speaking of which... who are those teams?)

With an extra pick, we will have the ability to draft for depth behind Lilja & Asstomouth.

Given his age I would say luck to get a 5th and I would use it on a C or RT. I would love to trade Waters and get Barnes. I think we already have some guard depth on the team with Niswanger and Harris.

salame
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
From the article:

Whenever I think about how that all worked out, I'm reminded of the old, bad joke.

If Brandon was best at the heavier weight his rookie year, then don't jack with him and ask him to shed a bunch. Why mess with a good thing?

That's like asking Jamaal Charles to put on a bunch of lbs and adopt more of a power runner approach.

this

ChiefsCountry
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Slid Lilja back to his natural position of left guard and Asaomah can slide into his natural spot which is right guard. Draft or sign a FA center, and the two young tackles will look better.

-King-
03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
From the article:

So that he can pull better in the system they run.

And if you're going to use an analogy, its more like asking Hali to change his weight to switch to OLB
Posted via Mobile Device

spanky 52
03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Slid Lilja back to his natural position of left guard and Asaomah can slide into his natural spot which is right guard. Draft or sign a FA center, and the two young tackles will look better.

I believe there's a lot of truth to this. I'm not a big fan of Richardson's but he's light years better than McIntosh was. Maybe draft an OT in the fifth round or later to develop. Say goodbye to O'Callaghan. Hopefully Harris is ready and healthy to back up Lilja this year and replace him next year.

Bump
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
how about we just worry about getting a new quarterback?

KC Tattoo
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Tribal Warfare;7510519] Haley mum on changes to Chiefs’ offensive line (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/22/2745816/haley-mum-on-changes-to-chiefs.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Running back Thomas Jones, who will be 33 in August, said after the playoff game that he would need some time before deciding whether he would return for a 12th NFL season. Haley said Jones would play again this season.

“I couldn’t be more excited about what Thomas Jones has brought to this team both as a player and as a leader,” Haley said of Jones, who had 15 more carries than Jamaal Charles last season but almost 600 fewer yards.
----
Hurt Thomas Jones , Hurt Thomas Jones

BossChief
03-23-2011, 04:35 PM

IMO this should have been the plan as soon as Lilja was signed. Its exactly what I said in the thread where we signed him as well.

...that said, Richardson seems to have add (maybe adhd) and has serious focus problems which I have doubted since day one will ever get better. I dont think he will and that we have seen who he really is...he should be our swing tackle at best.

Id be totally fine if our first two picks this year were Camiri and Wisnewski and then spend a 2nd or 3rd in the comp to take Floyd and our offense4 could have a legit chance at being really explosive.

Take Powe in the third (even if we have to trade up a few spots to do so) and hope that Studebaker and Sheffield can make a solid contribution at LOLB.

IMO that plan could have us in the playoffs again in the next year football is played.

Cassel

Charles
Jones/Cox

Bowe
Floyd
DMC

Moeaki

Albert
Lilja
Wisnewski
Asamoah
Camiri

TEX
03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
If they're still not convinvced that Brandon Albert is thier starting LT, then move him already.

milkman
03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Given his age I would say luck to get a 5th and I would use it on a C or RT. I would love to trade Waters and get Barnes. I think we already have some guard depth on the team with Niswanger and Harris.

If I'm a team that needs help at guard, I'm not going to trade for a 34 year old on the decline.

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2011, 07:28 PM
From the article:

I disagree. Albert's strength is in his footwork. He's very agile for a guy his size. That makes him a terrific run blocker. But it comes at the expense of pass blocking. For my money, I'd rather the guy be a better run blocker.

salame
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
IMO this should have been the plan as soon as Lilja was signed. Its exactly what I said in the thread where we signed him as well.

...that said, Richardson seems to have add (maybe adhd) and has serious focus problems which I have doubted since day one will ever get better. I dont think he will and that we have seen who he really is...he should be our swing tackle at best.

Id be totally fine if our first two picks this year were Camiri and Wisnewski and then spend a 2nd or 3rd in the comp to take Floyd and our offense4 could have a legit chance at being really explosive.

Take Powe in the third (even if we have to trade up a few spots to do so) and hope that Studebaker and Sheffield can make a solid contribution at LOLB.

IMO that plan could have us in the playoffs again in the next year football is played.

Cassel

Charles
Jones/Cox

Bowe
Floyd
DMC

Moeaki

Albert
Lilja
Wisnewski
Asamoah
Camiri