PDA

View Full Version : Life Dun and Bradstreet reporting

Iowanian
03-23-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm getting hassled by these people. They're pretty much demanding information and calling me a moron for not "having enough business intelligence to understand the value of their service". Honestly, I haven't appreciated the tone of my interactions with them, or the insinuation of doom for my company should I not use this service.

So, Businesspersons of CP.
What is your knowledge, history and opinion of the value of working with these people, or paying for the ability to correct your information.

Is it bullshit, is it of value and would you recommend using it? I see everything from "must have" to "bullshit scam" online searches.

Thank You for your input.

DeezNutz
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm getting hassled by these people. They're pretty much demanding information and calling me a moron for not "having enough business intelligence to understand the value of their service". Honestly, I haven't appreciated the tone of my interactions with them, or the insinuation of doom for my company should I not use this service.

So, Businesspersons of CP.
What is your knowledge, history and opinion of the value of working with these people, or paying for the ability to correct your information.

Is it bullshit, is it of value and would you recommend using it? I see everything from "must have" to "bullshit scam" online searches.

Thank You for your input.

You've answered your own question.

http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=909429

Bwana
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
I had the same impression when I talked to them years ago. They seemed like an arrogant bunch and had the attitude that "I was damn lucky they were calling me." In so many words, I told them to kiss my ass and lose my number. A lot of it depends on "what kind" of business you are running, but for the most part, they seem like a Mickey Mouse outfit.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
ignore them.

Iowanian
03-23-2011, 09:55 AM
It came to a head this morning when they called my home and were shitty to my wife for not sharing my business information. Then called me, and acted indignant that I didn't appreciate that treatment of my wife and not to be calling my home for business issues.

I've done a little research and had seen the scam.com items...and I've seen people espouse the importance.

I'm weighing options relating to how much weight that report carries for a potential vendor, loan agent, client or professional liability insurance rate, versus the history of my company and past 3 years P&L statements and taxes.

I'm never comfortable giving information when someone else calls me, and I never like to feel like I'm being bulled around.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-23-2011, 09:57 AM
As a former credit manager I will say that they were a big part of our process in determining credit worthiness, but not the deciding factor.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 10:07 AM
It depends on your industry. I'm CFO of a commercial contractor & I use them to help screen subcontractors. They aren't always reliable as it's easy to manipulate your score if you pay to use their services so I take the information for what I believe it's worth. It's also very possible to have an inappropriately poor rating & not even know it if you do not pay for their services.

Many retailers (Wal-Mart) & developers use their ratings to pre-qualify contractors & vendors. I've often questioned how they can report information that may or may not be completely accurate legally, but we just bite the bullet & pay for their monitoring service.

Iowanian
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
The 2 biggest problems I've had is 1. Calling my home and being rude and bitchy to my wife, and then indignant and pushy to myself as the business owner they are trying to do business.

2. To remove yourself from "DS" status, it costs $229.....and then they push the up-sell on all of the other items.

If they're selling outdated data, its' a reflection on their services, not on my company.

I don't like their tactics and I sure as hell don't like the insinuation that their services is a mandatory expense.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Pay them.

Wait 3 years.

Sue the shit out of them.

Profit.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
It came to a head this morning when they called my home and were shitty to my wife for not sharing my business information. Then called me, and acted indignant that I didn't appreciate that treatment of my wife and not to be calling my home for business issues.

I've done a little research and had seen the scam.com items...and I've seen people espouse the importance.

I'm weighing options relating to how much weight that report carries for a potential vendor, loan agent, client or professional liability insurance rate, versus the history of my company and past 3 years P&L statements and taxes.

I'm never comfortable giving information when someone else calls me, and I never like to feel like I'm being bulled around.

FYI - We do not send them our financial statements. Their report on us dings us for having "incomplete" information, but that has never hurt us to my knowledge. I want to believe that anyone choosing to rely on their information, knows what they're dealing with.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
The 2 biggest problems I've had is 1. Calling my home and being rude and bitchy to my wife, and then indignant and pushy to myself as the business owner they are trying to do business.

2. To remove yourself from "DS" status, it costs $229.....and then they push the up-sell on all of the other items.

If they're selling outdated data, its' a reflection on their services, not on my company.

I don't like their tactics and I sure as hell don't like the insinuation that their services is a mandatory expense.

Yeah, I wouldn't deal with the POS calling your house. If you determine that their reporting affects you, call their main # & deal with someone else.

We end up paying them thousands of dollars every year, but we know that customers & some vendors are relying on their info so it's worth the hassle for us.

FAX
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Tell them, if and when you feel it's appropriate, you'll contact them. After you've done that, inform them that, if they attempt to contact you again by telephone, you'll refer the problem to your attorney.

They are dinosaurs, Mr. Iowanian. The likelihood that a D&B report will have any effect on your success, whatsoever, is practically nil.

FAX

JASONSAUTO
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Tell them, if and when you feel it's appropriate, you'll contact them. After you've done that, inform them that, if they attempt to contact you again by telephone, you'll refer the problem to your attorney.

They are dinosaurs, Mr. Iowanian. The likelihood that a D&B report will have any effect on your success, whatsoever, is practically nil.

FAX

i agree.

they pissed me off a couple of years ago in about the same way they have done you.

i told them to go fuck themselves if they wanted to talk to my wife that way and hung up the phone.

i already had bought the business and didnt feel as though they could screw me over too awfully bad. havent noticed any difference.

teedubya
03-23-2011, 12:50 PM

FAX

I agree, as well.

In my estimation, it is far more important to have accurate information with InfoUSA, Axiom, Google Places, and about 20 other local directories. They effect local seo rankings whereas D&B and Hoovers do not.

Plus, most likely they got your information from Axiom, anyway. But you want to make sure your information is consistent in ALL directories. It helps potential customers find you, and your trust in the eyes of Google Almighty becomes higher.

Here is a very valuable link for any business owner.

http://getlisted.org/resources/local_search_ecosystem.pdf

You're welcome.

Simplex3
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
D&B can suck it. Some people still look up people's D&B score, but I think it's out of habit. I can't remember the last time I talked to someone that looked, cared, or otherwise even thought about a D&B score.

The fact that this person is calling you at home makes me think it isn't even someone from D&B. I'd call D&B's main number and see if they've ever heard of this jerkoff at all. Could just be a phishing scam.

vailpass
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
If you need them so badly why are they chasing you?
Pulling a D&B is no longer SOP.

teedubya
03-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Hell, your SOCIAL MEDIA presence is more important than a D&B score, these days.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
D&B can suck it. Some people still look up people's D&B score, but I think it's out of habit. I can't remember the last time I talked to someone that looked, cared, or otherwise even thought about a D&B score.

The fact that this person is calling you at home makes me think it isn't even someone from D&B. I'd call D&B's main number and see if they've ever heard of this jerkoff at all. Could just be a phishing scam.

As long as companies like Wal-Mart use it, there will be companies who have to pay for D&B's services.

dtebbe
03-23-2011, 09:28 PM
We've always told them to suck it and never had a vendor turn us down for credit.. so I'd say tell them to suck it.

They are right there with the BBB in my book, total scam pay for rating scheme.

DT

Iowanian
03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
My favorite part was when they called and she said "I was just talking with your wife" and I replied "Oh, so you were the one acting bitchy to my wife on my home phone"

in indignant "excuuuuuuuse me"..."this phone call is being recorded"

"Good...then maybe your employer will hear that I don't like people calling my home phone to be bitchy to my wife about my business".

Thanks for the input. They can get stuffed.
if they call again, I'm putting "iowanian" on the phone.

Ralphy Boy
03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
In the banking industry we do pull a D&B on a company that has been in business for a few years, but it barely weighs in on our decision to loan a company money.

Chocolate Hog
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Dude everytime I've dealt with them it's been the same shit total dicks.

trndobrd
03-23-2011, 10:48 PM
My favorite part was when they called and she said "I was just talking with your wife" and I replied "Oh, so you were the one acting bitchy to my wife on my home phone"

in indignant "excuuuuuuuse me"..."this phone call is being recorded"

"Good...then maybe your employer will hear that I don't like people calling my home phone to be bitchy to my wife about my business".

Thanks for the input. They can get stuffed.
if they call again, I'm putting "iowanian" on the phone.

Feel free to record and post for our collective enjoyment.

SDChiefs
03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
You've answered your own question.

http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=909429

Very legit. I worked for a billion dollar corp and they would go through them to see if businesses were up to our credit standards.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:08 AM

FAX

I disagree Mr Fax.....while large and moving like a dinosaur, they are still important if you are doing business on a National/Regional scope.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:12 AM

Yes....and no....and let me elaborate.

All you have to do is look this up on the Net. The firm that Iowanian is getting a call from is not actually D&B, but a firm that has been 3rd Party contracted to cold-call companies to update their business information. They are not the most reputable group and many times their tactics are not what D&B contracted for.

D&B has been made aware of the situation...

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Hell, your SOCIAL MEDIA presence is more important than a D&B score, these days.

Social media is part of it yes. But don't kid yourself D&B is still the largest supplier of business Marketing and Credit information in the world.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Iowanian...

Send me an IM if you are interested in chatting over the phone about this. I can put you in touch with people at D&B if you would like.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Pulling a D&B is no longer SOP.

For whom? Not for most of the Fortune 500 companies.

And FWIW, Experian and Equifax report business information also.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:30 AM
OK....before anyone hits me with the question. No I do not work for D&B and I am not a paid official spokesperson.

Anyone calling them a dinosaur needs to get a little up to date themselves. They still are, by far, the largest information reporting company in the world. And the one thing they have done lately is acknowledge some of their processes are a little outdated and information processing is slower than the business world and electronic age demands.

Anyone ever try to do business with the Government? You can bet that in most cases if you don't have an active DUNS #, you will be prompted to ensure you get one. Wanna get on the supplier list of the Fortune 500 companies? You can bet not having any information out there might set you to the back of the line.

On a local-to-local basis, you don't and won't need D&B. But if you intend to do business outside of your normal vicinity, making sure your D&B report is up to date is necessary.

And BTW....large companies do Supplier Validation checks. No one wants to enlist a supplier and depend on them for a core product if they aren't stable these days.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
As a former credit manager I will say that they were a big part of our process in determining credit worthiness, but not the deciding factor.

You're not in Credit anymore?

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 01:02 AM
In the banking industry we do pull a D&B on a company that has been in business for a few years, but it barely weighs in on our decision to loan a company money.

But be honest......in reality a company's credit worthiness is only a small part of making a decision when a Bank looks at making a loan to a business. Comparing credit checking when making a bank loan to credit checking B2B is apples to oranges.

Let me elaborate....when a B2B makes a credit decision most likely he is doing it with the knowledge that he is (in most cases) an unsecured creditor going in. So he has to know everything he can about that company, most assuredly their payment habits to suppliers and where he will fall in regards to importance when it comes to getting paid. (We call that Primary, Secondary and Tertiary conditions)

When a Bank makes a loan you do it with the complete knowledge that you have collateral ( inventory, A/R, etc) and many times have the superiority when it comes to Lien status. And when it comes to Bankruptcy, your rarely take the "hair cut" that the Unsecured Creditors are forced to take.

The decisioning processes are 2 different situations....you are not taking anywhere near the risk that a B2B is taking when allowing open terms.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-24-2011, 01:06 AM
You're not in Credit anymore?

No. I spent the majority of my career in collections. Hard time right now finding a job as a credit manager. Always looking though.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 01:09 AM
No. I spent the majority of my career in collections. Hard time right now finding a job as a credit manager. Always looking though.

Ever network thru NACM? If you want send me an IM and I can put you in touch with some people who can at least open some opportunities based on your experience.

Mosbonian
03-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Later guys...I need to get some sleep.

Iowanian...I will check my IM's later today.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Ever network thru NACM? If you want send me an IM and I can put you in touch with some people who can at least open some opportunities based on your experience.

Sweet. I've got 15 years in collections, 2 of which were as a credit manager for a small manufacturing company.