PDA

View Full Version : Life Doomsday bunker sales up 1000%

Count Zarth
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd love to know who's buying these...actors...politicians...

http://cnnmoney.mobi/primary/_aBM9D7-izZuVygcUH

A devastating earthquake strikes Japan. A massive tsunami kills thousands. Fears of a nuclear meltdown run rampant. Bloodshed and violence escalate in Libya.

And U.S. companies selling doomsday bunkers are seeing sales skyrocket anywhere from 20% to 1,000%.

Northwest Shelter Systems, which offers shelters ranging in price from $200,000 to $20 million, has seen sales surge 70% since the uprisings in the Middle East, with the Japanese earthquake only spurring further interest. In hard numbers, that's 12 shelters already booked when the company normally sells four shelters per year.

"Sales have gone through the roof, to the point where we are having trouble keeping up," said Northwest Shelter Systems owner Kevin Thompson.

UndergroundBombShelter.com, which sells portable shelters, bomb shelters and underground bunkers, has seen inquiries soar 400% since the Japanese earthquake. So far sales of its $9,500 nuclear biological chemical shelter tents are at an all-time high -- with four sold in California last week, compared to about one a month normally.

Hardened Structures said inquiries have shot up about 20% since the earthquake -- particularly for its apocalyptic 2012 shelters, radiation-protection tents, and nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) air filters.

Vivos, a company that sells rooms in 200-person doomsday bunkers, has received thousands of applications since the massive earthquake in Japan, with reservations spiking nearly 1,000% last week. And people are backing their fear with cash: A reservation requires a minimum deposit of $5,000.

"People are afraid of the earth-changing events and ripple effects of the earthquake, which led to tsunamis, the nuclear meltdown, and which will lead to radiation and health concerns," said Vivos CEO Robert Vicino. "Where it ends, I don't know. Does it lead to economic collapse? A true economic collapse would lead to anarchy, which could lead to 90% of the population being killed off."

The last time people flocked to purchase bunkers in such droves was right before the Y2K scare, according to Stephen O'Leary, an associate professor at University of Southern California and an expert on apocalyptic thinking.

"Tens of millions of people believe in a literal apocalypse, which involves earthquakes, storms, disasters of global proportions and especially disasters related to the Middle East," O'Leary said.

But, he added, "Some believe that this is just a turbulent time and they have to go somewhere to ride it out."

Elan Yadan, a clothing store owner in Los Angeles, is one of the many customers who rushed to find a bunker last week. Yadan secured a spot for his family in a Vivos' shelter, putting down four deposits totaling $20,000 -- $20,000 that had been earmarked for a down payment on a new house.

"I honestly didn't want to do it, but unfortunately it looks like the worst expectations about the world are starting to come true," said Yadan, who had been reading about Mayan predictions of a global meltdown in 2012. "With the things happening this week, it's better to be safe than sorry. And what good is a house if you don't feel safe?"

Yadan will be riding out any apocalypse in Vivos' most ambitious project to date. The company has more than five 200-person shelters in the U.S. that are in various stages of construction, but this facility outshines them all.

The bunker, which is being built under the grasslands of Nebraska, is 137,000 square feet -- bigger than a Wal-Mart -- can house 950 people for up to one year, and can withstand a 50 megaton blast. Once completed, it will boast four levels of individual suites, a medical and dental center, kitchens, bakery, prayer room, computer area, pool tables, pet kennels, a fully stocked wine cellar and a detention center to place anyone who turns violent.

Plus, there will be a fortified 350-foot lookout tower for residents who want to see what's happening in the outside world.

Once Vivos collects deposits from at least half the number of residents needed to fill the bunker, it will take them on a tour of the near-completed site. At that point, they must pay the rest of the $25,000 reservation fee.

That's what Yadan intends to do.

"I'm not a psychic but I'm not a scientist either, so I'd rather err on the side of caution -- and I'd rather survive and live in a bunker for a year than be wiped out," he said.

Count Zarth
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Dane's bunker probably doesn't have internet access....so that's why he ran off.

Stewie
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I just sold a Geiger Counter on eBay for $418. Strike while the iron is hot.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
A 350-foot observation tower is going to be a zombie magnet when it all goes down. It's better to be underground and quiet.

Detoxing
03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
How the hell did Teedubya get the money to pay for 137,000 SQ Ft bunker?

ThaVirus
How much force is in a 50 megaton blast? Could the bunker withstand a direct hit from the strongest nukes on the planet? (Not that any country would aim for an undergroung bunker that didn't include the president, I'm just curious)

Bowser
A 350-foot observation tower is going to be a zombie magnet when it all goes down. It's better to be underground and quiet.

Only if you make a ton of noise up there. If you're going to have one of those, I recommend a nice silenced sniper rifle, along with a mini gun if the herd gets too thick.

Detoxing
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Only if you make a ton of noise up there. If you're going to have one of those, I recommend a nice silenced sniper rifle, along with a mini gun if the herd gets too thick.

It's not like they could scale 350 feet. They're zombies.

Iowanian
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I've saved a lot of money by bringing in Viet Cong immigrants to dig the tunnels and some Mexicans displaced by the lack of corn detasseling to pour my concrete.

If we hit bedrock before the depth I want, I'm recruiting some Afgans.

Bowser
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM

I didn't say they'd scale it. I was just assuming that Rain Man would want to plug a few of the undead bastards in the head, since there wouldn't be much else to do. I know I would.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Presumably they can climb stairs or a ladder. I really don't know much about zombies, but it seems like if you can get up there, they can get up there.

Detoxing
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
I didn't say they'd scale it. I was just assuming that Rain Man would want to plug a few of the undead bastards in the head, since there wouldn't be much else to do. I know I would.

True Dat. Or hock a big ass loogie and see if you can nail one in the face.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

I think there'd be great roaming herds of zombies, kind of like the buffalo used to be. Once they find your bunker you're in for a fight against overwhelming odds, and out in the plains of Nebraska they're going to see your 350-foot observation tower from 30 miles away. I think the tower is a bad idea.

Detoxing
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Presumably they can climb stairs or a ladder. I really don't know much about zombies, but it seems like if you can get up there, they can get up there.

Well, I'd assume that that tower would be built on top of the bunker, and the only way in would be through the bottom.

Iowanian
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
I think i'm just going to bring in a track hoe and dig a hole big enough to bury a school bus, drop it in the hole, build an exit, cover it up and pour a slab of concrete and put a grain bin on top of it like the "growers" in this area.

jiveturkey
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I'd assume that that tower would be built on top of the bunker, and the only way in would be through the bottom.That's what I thought as well.

I can't image a bunker like this sending people out into the elements.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, I'd assume that that tower would be built on top of the bunker, and the only way in would be through the bottom.

I dunno. I'd want to see blueprints. It seems to me like you're just putting a big sign up in the air pointing toward the bunker.

I think a better solution would be to have a small periscope to scout out the immediate vicinity, and then if it's clear have a supply of helium and a balloon with a camera on it that you send up. You see the zombies, they don't see you.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Not that this makes any difference to us. You know that Warren Buffett has already reserved the whole thing for himself and the 32 NFL cheerleader groups.

jiveturkey
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I dunno. I'd want to see blueprints. It seems to me like you're just putting a big sign up in the air pointing toward the bunker.

I think a better solution would be to have a small periscope to scout out the immediate vicinity, and then if it's clear have a supply of helium and a balloon with a camera on it that you send up. You see the zombies, they don't see you.
You're giving zombies a lot of credit.

Bowser
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM

I guess it would depend on the variety of zombies that sprout up. Will they be the mindless lumbering type of undead, or will they be the rage driven, athletic type? If the former, the tower would be an ok idea, as long as you didn't throw rave parties on top and attract them. The latter could spell disaster if enough of them huddle up and storm the bunker. And a bonus - the tower could serve as a beacon for other survivors. Hopefully they bring food, medicine, and ammo with them.

Bowser
03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Not that this makes any difference to us. You know that Warren Buffett has already reserved the whole thing for himself and the 32 NFL cheerleader groups.

He's no dummy.

Count Zarth
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I posted this thread just for Rain Man replies.

Donger
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
and can withstand a 50 megaton blast.

No, it can't.

durtyrute
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Screw all of that man, I do not want to be around after some nuclear blast wipes out most of mankind. If it's time, it's time. What kinda world would be left anyway?

Donger
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
How much force is in a 50 megaton blast? Could the bunker withstand a direct hit from the strongest nukes on the planet? (Not that any country would aim for an undergroung bunker that didn't include the president, I'm just curious)

It's massive. For example, Little Boy had a yield of about 15 kilotons.

Heck, Cheyenne Mountain was designed to take a hit from a 25-30 MT nuke.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, maybe I don't know as much about zombies as I think, but in a major global disaster I don't think it's wise to underestimate them.

Detoxing
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
And a bonus - the tower could serve as a beacon for other survivors. Hopefully they bring food, medicine, and ammo with them.

And vagina.

Bwana
03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
I just sold a Geiger Counter on eBay for $418. Strike while the iron is hot.

LMAO

Nice! Nothing like a good meltdown to bring the price of that bad boy up huh?

Well played indeed!

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
No, it can't.

In the fine print, it points out that the 50-megaton blast takes place in Asia.

And anyway, it's a no-risk deal to make the claim. It's not like people would be coming to get their money back.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Screw all of that man, I do not want to be around after some nuclear blast wipes out most of mankind. If it's time, it's time. What kinda world would be left anyway?

A world where I'm driving your pickup and adding your woman to my harem. That's what kind of world would be left.

Count Zarth
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, maybe I don't know as much about zombies as I think, but in a major global disaster I don't think it's wise to underestimate them.

There's a great sidequest in Fallout 3 where a bunch of rich people living in a giant tower try to keep out ghouls (zombies, basically, though there are two types - regular (act like people, just disfigured) and feral).

Depending on the choices you make you either help the rich people kill all the ghouls, make the rich people live in harmony with them in the tower, or let the feral ghouls in through the basement and watch them massacre the rich bastards.

Probably my favorite quest in the game.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9757/tenpennytower.jpg

Donger
03-23-2011, 03:41 PM
If it's time, it's time. What kinda world would be left anyway?

Just walk away.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSXe0Yh4NeT2Es6rf9Ncq6TcTRM8xRFujQEIIwIVC2gquYFFtQCA

Sofa King
03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
An immense blast of plasma spewed late Sunday night from the sun led to the strongest radiation storm bombarding our planet since 2005, and a rare warning from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency -- and even a plan to redirect certain high-flying airplanes.

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center -- the nation’s official source of warnings about space weather and its impact on Earth -- issued a watch for a geomagnetic storm expected to hit our planet Tuesday morning after a satellite witnessed an ultraviolet flash from the massive solar eruption, according to Spaceweather.com.

Related Stories
Massive solar flare headed toward Earth, may spark celestial light show
Russian scientist claims 'signs of life' on barren, boiling Venus
Russian Mars probe crash sets off confusion, conspiracy theories
There is no risk to people on Earth, Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center told FoxNews.com.

But as a rare precaution, polar flights on Earth are expected to be re-routed, Kathy Sullivan, deputy administrator of NOAA, said today at a Meteorological Society meeting in New Orleans, La., according to Space.com.

Eruptions on the sun shoot tremendous streams of charged particles away from the star -- in this case directly towards us.

"There is little doubt that the cloud is heading in the general direction of Earth," Spaceweather.com announced in an alert. The blast from the immense solar radiation storm let loose with a so called coronal mass ejection (CME) that will hit the atmosphere Tuesday morning, something NASA and NOAA monitor for as it could cause problems for astronauts, communications satellites, and even rocket launches.

“A preliminary inspection of SOHO/STEREO imagery suggests that the CME will deliver a strong glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on Jan. 24-25 as it sails mostly north of our planet," SpaceWeather’s bulletin read.

It could also affect navigation and the power grid.

The solar flare spat out late Sunday, Jan. 22, at 10:59 p.m. EST was rated an M9-class eruption -- nearly an X-class flare, the most powerful type of solar storm.

NASA spokeswoman Kelly Humphries told Space.com the six spaceflyers currently living and working on the orbiting outpost are not in any danger.

"The flight surgeons have reviewed the space weather forecasts for the flare and determined that there are no expected adverse effects or actions required to protect the on-orbit crew," Humphries told SPACE.com in an email.

The flare led to the largest radiation storm of its kind since 2005 -- one still only described as a three on the scale of one to five, Biesecker told AFP.

NOAA measures geomagnetic storms on a five-point scale from 1 to 5. G1 storms are minor, leading to weak power grid fluctuations and having only minor impact on satellites. G5 storms are extreme, leading to widespread voltage control problems, damage to transformers, radio outages and satellite problems.

NOAA warned that of geomagnetic storms on Tuesday as well -- another result of the flare. They may be as strong as G3, causing intermittent navigation issues and problems with low-Earth satellites.

The sun's activity waxes and wanes on an 11-year cycle, Space.com reported. Currently, activity in Solar Cycle 24 is expected to ramp up toward a "solar maximum" in 2013.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/23/planes-rerouted-fearing-strongest-radiation-storm-in-7-years/#ixzz1kJwRgIUC

mlyonsd
01-23-2012, 02:51 PM
An immense blast of plasma spewed late Sunday night from the sun led to the strongest radiation storm bombarding our planet since 2005, and a rare warning from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency -- and even a plan to redirect certain high-flying airplanes.

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center -- the nation’s official source of warnings about space weather and its impact on Earth -- issued a watch for a geomagnetic storm expected to hit our planet Tuesday morning after a satellite witnessed an ultraviolet flash from the massive solar eruption, according to Spaceweather.com.

Related Stories
Massive solar flare headed toward Earth, may spark celestial light show
Russian scientist claims 'signs of life' on barren, boiling Venus
Russian Mars probe crash sets off confusion, conspiracy theories
There is no risk to people on Earth, Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center told FoxNews.com.

But as a rare precaution, polar flights on Earth are expected to be re-routed, Kathy Sullivan, deputy administrator of NOAA, said today at a Meteorological Society meeting in New Orleans, La., according to Space.com.

Eruptions on the sun shoot tremendous streams of charged particles away from the star -- in this case directly towards us.

"There is little doubt that the cloud is heading in the general direction of Earth," Spaceweather.com announced in an alert. The blast from the immense solar radiation storm let loose with a so called coronal mass ejection (CME) that will hit the atmosphere Tuesday morning, something NASA and NOAA monitor for as it could cause problems for astronauts, communications satellites, and even rocket launches.

“A preliminary inspection of SOHO/STEREO imagery suggests that the CME will deliver a strong glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on Jan. 24-25 as it sails mostly north of our planet," SpaceWeather’s bulletin read.

It could also affect navigation and the power grid.

The solar flare spat out late Sunday, Jan. 22, at 10:59 p.m. EST was rated an M9-class eruption -- nearly an X-class flare, the most powerful type of solar storm.

NASA spokeswoman Kelly Humphries told Space.com the six spaceflyers currently living and working on the orbiting outpost are not in any danger.

"The flight surgeons have reviewed the space weather forecasts for the flare and determined that there are no expected adverse effects or actions required to protect the on-orbit crew," Humphries told SPACE.com in an email.

The flare led to the largest radiation storm of its kind since 2005 -- one still only described as a three on the scale of one to five, Biesecker told AFP.

NOAA measures geomagnetic storms on a five-point scale from 1 to 5. G1 storms are minor, leading to weak power grid fluctuations and having only minor impact on satellites. G5 storms are extreme, leading to widespread voltage control problems, damage to transformers, radio outages and satellite problems.

NOAA warned that of geomagnetic storms on Tuesday as well -- another result of the flare. They may be as strong as G3, causing intermittent navigation issues and problems with low-Earth satellites.

The sun's activity waxes and wanes on an 11-year cycle, Space.com reported. Currently, activity in Solar Cycle 24 is expected to ramp up toward a "solar maximum" in 2013.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/23/planes-rerouted-fearing-strongest-radiation-storm-in-7-years/#ixzz1kJwRgIUCI read in a different article the time to look for the northern lights is Tuesday evening FWIW.

gblowfish
01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm sure everyone in the 1% is buying one. Eventually, the IRS will show up....

Frazod
01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
There's a great sidequest in Fallout 3 where a bunch of rich people living in a giant tower try to keep out ghouls (zombies, basically, though there are two types - regular (act like people, just disfigured) and feral).

Depending on the choices you make you either help the rich people kill all the ghouls, make the rich people live in harmony with them in the tower, or let the feral ghouls in through the basement and watch them massacre the rich bastards.

Probably my favorite quest in the game.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9757/tenpennytower.jpg

Heh. I always turned the zombies lose on them and sat back and enjoyed the carnage. Harmony sucks.

Okie_Apparition
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
How much of your life is spent in close enough proximity of one, to make it practical
The kids are next door!
Fuck'em, will make more

KILLER_CLOWN
01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGmuUV5A6iQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGmuUV5A6iQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>