PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Haley confirms Thomas Jones will return to Chiefs

|Zach|
03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
When the Chiefs lost their Wild Card game against the Ravens, running back Thomas Jones said he wasn’t sure if he’d return in 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/23/todd-haley-confirms-thomas-jones-will-return-to-chiefs/

Chiefs coach Todd Haley confirmed to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star that Jones will indeed be back.

“I couldn’t be more excited about what Thomas Jones has brought to this team both as a player and as a leader,” Haley said. “He’s the epitome of the same guy every day. We’ve got a little plan for Thomas that I’m excited about getting to. I’m excited to have Thomas back. He’s a big part of what we’re doing.”

Jones averaged less than three yards-per-carry from November on after a strong start and wound up with 245 carries. Perhaps he helped keep Jamaal Charles fresh and set a good example, but Jones’ carries should be reduced significantly next season.

Jones is due $2.9 in total pay for 2012.

KurtCobain
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
wtf

KurtCobain
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
This makes me think there's going to be no decent vet added. Fuck.

mlyonsd
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Well duh, of course you sign him for $2.90.

siberian khatru
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
2.3 yards at a time.

Okie_Apparition
03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Goodbye Mike Cox and Castlemaker or whatever his name was.

Shogun
03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
He wasn't sure if he was going to return in 2011. But hes damn sure hes going to return in 2012. i get it now

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe they're planning on a lockout killing half the season

OnTheWarpath58
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Weve got a little plan for Thomas that Im excited about getting to.

This is the year Two-Yard Thomas becomes 2.7-Yard Thomas?

Deberg_1990
03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Great News!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
So he wants to coach?

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Goodbye Mike Cox and Castlemaker or whatever his name was.

Yeah, that's my thinking, too.

Woodrow Call
03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Color me intrigued by the thought of Jones at FB.

-King-
03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I really don't care. As long as JC has the most carries on the team, I don't care. Jones was good at the beginning of the season but wore down toward the end. He'll be an alright backup with limited carries.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC Tattoo
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Raiduhs

Reerun_KC
03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Fire Haley and Pioli!

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I really don't understand why people rail on the guy.

Deberg_1990
03-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Because he doesnt rush for 10 yards a pop and score 20 TD's??

He brings alot to the table that the average fan doesnt see. Dont mind him back at all and his contract is pretty affordable.

pr_capone
03-23-2011, 07:28 PM

He brings alot to the table that the average fan doesnt see. Dont mind him back at all and his contract is pretty affordable.

qft

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I really don't care. As long as JC has the most carries on the team, I don't care. Jones was good at the beginning of the season but wore down toward the end. He'll be an alright backup with limited carries.
Posted via Mobile Device

Charles' carries were just right. Those who rip on the coaching staff for his total carries have very short memories, because I seem to recall three moments late in the season where Charles limped off the field and I was convinced his season could have been over.

I don't know if Jones wore down or not. What I do know is that they were using him as more of a power runner and our Guards just aren't built for that kind of a game. I think he did fine with what he was given, but I think a lot of us forget that Charles made a pretty average offensive line look phenomenal. It has less to do with how bad Jones is as much as it is how good Charles is.

Spott
03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Is he coming back as a replacement player?

Deberg_1990
03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Charles' carries were just right. Those who rip on the coaching staff for his total carries have very short memories, because I seem to recall three moments late in the season where Charles limped off the field and I was convinced his season could have been over.

I don't know if Jones wore down or not. What I do know is that they were using him as more of a power runner and our Guards just aren't built for that kind of a game. I think he did fine with what he was given, but I think a lot of us forget that Charles made a pretty average offensive line look phenomenal. It has less to do with how bad Jones is as much as it is how good Charles is.

Yea, they use Charles exactly right. Hes never going to get 30 carries a game, so alot of fans just need to get over it.

As for the "starter" tag...who cares? When the playoffs started Charles got the nod. Then promptly got dinged up before halftime. : )

Priest31kc
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Agreed. Still, Charles needs to get the majority of the carries next year.

teedubya
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
$2.90! Clark Hunt is robbing Thomas Jones!! No wonder they are striking! lol

kysirsoze
03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Weve got a little plan for Thomas that Im excited about getting to.

WTH does this mean?

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2011, 07:46 PM
WTH does this mean?

Surprise birthday party

milkman
03-23-2011, 07:48 PM

No.

It's because he doesn't rush for 3 yards a pop.

I like Thomas Jones and do think he brings something to the team in terms of leadership.

However, he can not play at the level he played in the last half of the season, because his lack of productivity far outweighs his locker room presense.

thurman merman
03-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Jones averaged less than three yards-per-carry from November on

Halfcan
03-24-2011, 09:49 AM
not a fan

Rooster
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
WTH does this mean?

He's the new backup QB. ;)

Chris Meck
03-24-2011, 10:25 AM

True 'dat.

DMAC
03-24-2011, 10:25 AM
WTH does this mean?

FB

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I'd rather see what Jackie Battle can do. He should have gotten more carries as the season went on and less for Jones. We don't need guys past ther prime, we need guys that have yet hit there potential to continue to get better and then hit there stride come playoffs. I'd rather have a guy potentialy be great than a guy past his greatness and on his decline. Jones is on a rappid decline and his production on the field is suffering for it. He may work out all he wants to make him self stronger that's fine, his age is a factor, and he can't get any quicker or be elusive.

This is an example of ol vets taking away reps and playing time from the younger developing players that need all the reps they get to make themselves the best they could be. We can do better than Jones, we shouldn't be complacent with him.

Douche Baggins
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Doesn't really mean much. In a perfect world someone beats him out for the backup job in training camp.

Dave Lane
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Agreed. Still, Charles needs to get the majority of the carries next year.

No Charles needs to get enough carries he doesn't get pounded into LJ status. Just use him wisely so in 2012-15 he's still available to be the factor he is now.

Detoxing
03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd rather see what Jackie Battle can do. He should have gotten more carries as the season went on and less for Jones. We don't need guys past ther prime, we need guys that have yet hit there potential to continue to get better and then hit there stride come playoffs. I'd rather have a guy potentialy be great than a guy past his greatness and on his decline. Jones is on a rappid decline and his production on the field is suffering for it. He may work out all he wants to make him self stronger that's fine, his age is a factor, and he can't get any quicker or be elusive.

This is an example of ol vets taking away reps and playing time from the younger developing players that need all the reps they get to make themselves the best they could be. We can do better than Jones, we shouldn't be complacent with him.

Jackie Battle can't DO. If he could DO he would've done it already. He's a RB, RB's dont really develop from scrubs to stars like that. More often than not, they either have it, or they don't.

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Doesn't really mean much. In a perfect world someone beats him out for the backup job in training camp.

I would like to think this be the case! History shows that the vets get the nod regardless of what one may do to upset this in theory. Just like it took half a season before they cut LJ & let Charles in charge. It was obvious to most fans way before that time came, before the coaches to make the change. They want to put the best players on the field but hesitate at putting the best potential player on the field.

I don't mind watching a young player struggle and make mistakes, as long as he continues to make himself better, then it is exiting for them to achieve success with the rest of the team. That's how a team grows and builds continuety. imo. It's nice to have veteran leadership and that is nessisary for developing young prospects, I just don't like it when they fail production on the field and take away potentially better production from the younger players.

Douche Baggins
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Let's be honest about this, the success of next season doesn't hinge on who the backup RB is.

BigCatDaddy
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
It would have to be a cut and re-sign type of deal. No way do you pay 3 mil for that guy.

mcaj22
03-24-2011, 10:53 AM
i love these little "plans" they have for all 19 of these RBs.

first it was turning McCluster into a 3rd down RB (lol) and now this. I dont understand where they plan to find enough footballs for these guys as RBs when the clear superstar on the offense is at the RB, they are worried about game-planning more for the guys behind him to get a quota in looks. Not to mention we are still carrying 25 fullbacks on the team for no reason.

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Jackie Battle can't DO. If he could DO he would've done it already. He's a RB, RB's dont really develop from scrubs to stars like that. More often than not, they either have it, or they don't.

That's hard to say when he didn't get the RB playing time to prove himself. Jackie played quite a bit on ST, that was the excuse I remember Haley giving why he didn't get to run with the rock. It was lack of opportunity for Jackie Battle to prove himself. That's cuz they were more involved with Jones.

Same differance as LJ playing half the season before the coaches decided to make the change and go with Charles. Charles could have had the opportunity to play much sooner than he did. So we didn't get to see what Jackie Battle could have done if he actually got the opportunity to show case his skills. Instead we got Jones and 2.5ypc.

mcaj22
03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
didnt i see get to see Jackie Battle have an opportunity last season in a short yardage situation and he fumbled or got stuffed and it was a crucial point in a game?

that was enough for me.

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Let's be honest about this, the success of next season doesn't hinge on who the backup RB is.

I disagree, we don't want to run JC into the ground. We need production from our other backs to be consistant when JC is not on the field.

Douche Baggins
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
didnt i see get to see Jackie Battle have an opportunity last season in a short yardage situation and he fumbled or got stuffed and it was a crucial point in a game?

that was enough for me.

I remember him picking up one big first down against the Rams, scoring a TD against the Jags...that's about it. He didn't fumble.

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM

that was enough for me.

So what? Charles has done the same but you don't stop giving him the ball.

Douche Baggins
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I disagree, we don't want to run JC into the ground. We need production from our other backs to be consistant when JC is not on the field.

This is the kind of thinking you get into when your QB is a huge liability.

If we miss the playoffs next season blaming Thomas Jones for being a washed up RB would be a huge red herring...we won't miss the playoffs if Cassel and Pioli do their jobs.

We need production from our QB and our GM.

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 11:21 AM

If we miss the playoffs next season blaming Thomas Jones for being a washed up RB would be a huge red herring...we won't miss the playoffs if Cassel and Pioli do their jobs.

Oh I agree, they get no excuses.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
http://s.sfwgifs.com/img/2778/john-lackey.gif

KC Tattoo
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM

LOL, yea I agree. Thing is we need players to step up with super human powers to compinsate for the play of Matt Cassel.

Bowser
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd be fine with them taking a look at him at fullback. He'd be aces at pass blocking and running the Kimble Anders route.

chiefsnorth
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Glad to have him back. Seems to be a veteran with leadership abilities and a good work ethic.