PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Never buying a Honda again.

Guru
03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
bought my 2005 Odyssey in January 2009. They neglected to tell me it was missing the base for the removeable seat when they sold it to me. Took a bunch of pushing to get that taken care of. The night I brought the van home the battery died. Had to replace that of my own expense. One week later, the DVD player stopped having sound. Got that fixed. One year later the passenger seat just starts falling backwards for no reason. Turned out a bolt fell out and couldn't be found so they charged me $54 ****ing dollars to fix that even though I had a full bumper to bumper warranty. A couple weeks later, the rear fold down seat wouldn't fold down anymore. Luckily, they didn't charge me for that.

About a month later the engine light comes on and they had to replace some oxygen sensor or something. At least it was covered.

Today, the starter or solenoid is having problems and they have the nerve to tell me it may just be the battery. The battery that is only 2 years old. Taking it to a local I trust to verify the battery is fine so there is no way Honda can pull that crap on me. Honda still won't tell me the starter or solenoid are covered under my bumper to bumper warranty either. There is no reason they shouldn't be.

I'm never buying a Honda again. I have had more problems with this van in the 2 years I have had it then I have had with all my vehicles I have owned in my life combined.

Pants
03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Your loss, man. Hondas/Acuras are great freaking cars. I hope your luck improves with whatever vehicle you get next.

chopper
03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Life handed you a lemon
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Operation Odyssey Dawn

alpha_omega
03-24-2011, 10:11 AM
That blows.

I will say that we have two accords and love them; and have never considered owning anything other than a honda.

Did you buy it from a honda dealer?

DMAC
03-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Pfffft Oxygen sensor

Graystoke
Must be a Monday Made Car

Brock
IMO, nobody builds a good minivan. They don't exist.

Msmith
03-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Where is Burt?

Earthling
03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
I heard there is going to be some GREAT deals coming out of Japan in the near future so maybe you can snag one of those!

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Today, the starter or solenoid is having problems and they have the nerve to tell me it may just be the battery. The battery that is only 2 years old.

Er, don't jump to conclusions. A month ago my wife's '99 Bonneville with 200k miles on it wouldn't start in the garage. Just click. Fan blower, lights, radio all worked and didn't dim when hitting the key. About the 5th time I hit the key it popped over. Put my charger on the battery and it read 100%.

So I figure 200k on a starter was pretty good service so I replaced it. Week later the wife calls from town saying the same thing was happening. Had the local garage tow it in and it ended up being the battery.

Battery was an Interstate I put in Nov. 2008.

But, I do have a new starter on a car with 200k miles on it. :doh!:

NewChief
03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Was that one if the first years for the Odyssey? Sometimes those first runs are bad. Our Pilot has been awesome.

chopper
03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I've never bought a used car that I didn't at 1 point want to roll into a lake just to get rid of it (incl my current vehicle). But when you have long periods of no maintenance coupled with no car payment it's a beautiful thing. Also, I've never heard 1 negative thing from a honda owner, maybe their minivan isn't their forte.
Posted via Mobile Device

Detoxing
03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Meh.

How many miles on this thing? you buy it from a Honda Dealer? Nothing THAT unusual here. I'd be pissed about the initial battery issue, but that's a deal problem, not a car problem.

And maybe it is your battery. 2 years isn't exactly a short time span for a battery if your electrical system is under heavy load.

Simplex3
03-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Sounds like your problem is you bought a car that someone beat the living crap out of for 4 years.

Sofa King
03-24-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm pretty sure this post is accurate.

Every damn minivan i've been around has been a hunk of shit.

burt
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Where is Burt?

hiding.......

Detoxing
03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure this post is accurate.

Every damn minivan i've been around has been a hunk of shit.

I'll join the two of you on that statement. Boss bought a brand new Caravan back in 08 for his wife. Has been a hunk of shit ever since it rolled off the lot.

but hey, at least his battery lasted 3 years.

NewChief
03-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Is the Sienna decent? We've resisted the minivan so far and probably will continue to do so, but I figured we'd get a Sienna or Odyssey if we did go that route.

burt
03-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Actually, I am selling Fords in Florida. Normally, Honda and Toyota make super great minivans. But sometimes.......

My sister had a Sienna and said never again. She had lots of problems, but the Avalanche that I sold her when I was with Chevy in KC has been VERY great and reliable!

Brock
03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Was that one if the first years for the Odyssey? Sometimes those first runs are bad. Our Pilot has been awesome.

Stick with the Pilot. That's a great vehicle.

RockChalk
03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Always owned Honda/Acura.

'98 Integra til 2004 - never had one single problem and I drove the sh*t out of that car
'04 TSX til 2006 - zero problems
'06 Ridgeline til present - no problems

I will never own anything but an Acura/Honda

chiefsnorth
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
These issues with electrical components lead me to believe the problems have always been electrical and the service dept never properly diagnosed

Guru
03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Bought it from the dealer and I hate them now. For those that say it could be the battery, I did say I was taking it to test the battery before I take it in. I'm definitely not paying dealer prices on something that isn't covered under the warranty I have.

Either way, I will never buy a Honda again. I don't care how good it has been for everyone else. It has been shit for me. Doesn't even have 65k on it yet.

Chiefnj2
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
It's more of a case of you buying a used car that someone beat the crap out of and minivans generally not being as reliable as sedans and SUVs in general.

Detoxing
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Bought it from the dealer and I hate them now. For those that say it could be the battery, I did say I was taking it to test the battery before I take it in. I'm definitely not paying dealer prices on something that isn't covered under the warranty I have.

Either way, I will never buy a Honda again. I don't care how good it has been for everyone else. It has been shit for me. Doesn't even have 65k on it yet.

I agree, don't listen to all the Honda Nuthuggers that say they're the greatest cars out there.

They're just another car and things go wrong them just like they do in any other car. As long you treat your car properly, most cars should last you.

I've had just as many problems with my Accord as I have had with my Trans Am, but my Trans Am has been used and abused hard unlike the Accord.

I also don't agree that you should write Honda off forever either. they are good cars typically, just not the holy grail of cars like some of these Honda owners swear they are.

Fish
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Sounds like your "Bumper to bumper" warranty isn't worth shit.....

Guru
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
It's more of a case of you buying a used car that someone beat the crap out of and minivans generally not being as reliable as sedans and SUVs in general.

When I bought my 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE in 1999 used with 26k on it the van lasted me until 94k before its first issue. I purchased a lousy product in this Honda.

I've only purchased one brand new vehicle in my life and it got rolled by some idiot driver costing me 5 grand in depreciation value that I couldn't get back as well as having a vehicle with ONLY 11k miles on it. Which in turn, forced me to purchase this inferior Honda with 56k miles on it at the time.

I'm going back to Chysler if this trend continues.

Toadkiller
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
We have a 2008 Odyssey and love it. Dealer is fantastic to work with for whatever maintenance we need. We did buy it new so maybe someone beat the crap out of the one you bought.

We test drove all of them, the Ody was way better driver and better built then the sienna, we hated the sienna, just felt cheap.

Frazod
03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
These issues with electrical components lead me to believe the problems have always been electrical and the service dept never properly diagnosed

The level of incompetence when it comes to fixing electrical issues has always amazed me. It was a phantom electrical problem that led me to get rid of my beloved Monte Carlo. Sometimes it just wouldn't start. If I kept trying it would turn over eventually like there was no problem at all and run fine after that. It may have been cold related, as this happened during winter. But the dealership never could determine what was wrong, and after keeping it for three days (during which time I was paying for a rental), they basically said there was nothing wrong with it. I was so pissed that I immediately drove down the street to the Pontiac dealership and traded it in that night.

chiefsnorth
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Sounds like your "Bumper to bumper" warranty isn't worth shit.....

Warranties are all profit. They don't sell them because customers save money with them. They sell them because they don't.

Phobia
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Is the Sienna decent? We've resisted the minivan so far and probably will continue to do so, but I figured we'd get a Sienna or Odyssey if we did go that route.

Bought a 99 Sienna with 85k on it 5 years ago. It's been golden. We love it. New tires, oil, air filter.

chopper
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a guy I go to almost exclusively since about 4 years ago. Its good to have that relationship, but he always finds at least 3 other things wrong during the "courtesy inspection." I have occasionally let him fix 1 of the issues, while choosing to fix others myself or ignoring them if they're ignorable. Is this common or am I getting hosed? I've called him up out of the blue for advice which he's given freely, is this a good trade off? Latest trip in to look @ brakes he found that I had a leaking shock, leaking oil pan, and left outer tie rod needed replaced. 05 Chry T & C, I let him do the shocks and ignored the rest for a later date. He found nothing wrong with the brakes, so is he just trying to get at least something for his time?

Also, he shows me the parts he removed so I can see whatever it was that was wrong. I trust him but I feel a little like I don't want to take my car in bc he's guaranteed to find like 4 things that "need" fixing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Detoxing
03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
The level of incompetence when it comes to fixing electrical issues has always amazed me. It was a phantom electrical problem that led me to get rid of my beloved Monte Carlo. Sometimes it just wouldn't start. If I kept trying it would turn over eventually like there was no problem at all and run fine after that. It may have been cold related, as this happened during winter. But the dealership never could determine what was wrong, and after keeping it for three days (during which time I was paying for a rental), they basically said there was nothing wrong with it. I was so pissed that I immediately drove down the street to the Pontiac dealership and traded it in that night.

I have a similar problem with my car right now. Only on cold starts. It takes a couple of cranks, but it'll eventually get going.

More than certain it's the starter motor.

To be fair though, sometimes electrical problems can be a nightmare to diagnose. But something like cold starting issues shouldn't be.

1. Battery
2. Starter
3. Ring Gear
4. Fuel Pump/Pressure.

Detoxing
03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
When I bought my 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE in 1999 used with 26k on it the van lasted me until 94k before its first issue. I purchased a lousy product in this Honda.

I've only purchased one brand new vehicle in my life and it got rolled by some idiot driver costing me 5 grand in depreciation value that I couldn't get back as well as having a vehicle with ONLY 11k miles on it. Which in turn, forced me to purchase this inferior Honda with 56k miles on it at the time.

I'm going back to Chysler if this trend continues.

sounds to me like you got lucky with the Dodge and the Honda is paying you back for it. Consider it a wash.

Phobia
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a guy I go to almost exclusively since about 4 years ago. Its good to have that relationship, but he always finds at least 3 other things wrong during the "courtesy inspection." I have occasionally let him fix 1 of the issues, while choosing to fix others myself or ignoring them if they're ignorable. Is this common or am I getting hosed? I've called him up out of the blue for advice which he's given freely, is this a good trade off? Latest trip in to look @ brakes he found that I had a leaking shock, leaking oil pan, and left outer tie rod needed replaced. 05 Chry T & C, I let him do the shocks and ignored the rest for a later date. He found nothing wrong with the brakes, so is he just trying to get at least something for his time?

Also, he shows me the parts he removed so I can see whatever it was that was wrong. I trust him but I feel a little like I don't want to take my car in bc he's guaranteed to find like 4 things that "need" fixing.
Posted via Mobile Device

You should feel good about it. I guarantee I could find half a dozen things wrong with your house today. Doesn't mean your house is going to fall down, it's just stuff you should keep an eye on. When dude finds something severe or a safety hazard he'll strong-arm you to fix it, I'm sure.

BryanBusby
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Sucks to be you. I've had my '02 Accord for about 2 years now and it's only gone into the shop once for preventative maintenance.

Frosty
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
We have a 2006 Honda CR-V that we bought new. It's been a good car but not exactly trouble free (50K miles on it now). If I had to replace it, I would probably go a different route.

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

i would have personally worried about the loose tie rod before the shocks. but thats just me.

i also would have told you that before fixing the shocks.

we find things all the time, it's not always a "need" though. we like to prioritize the issues.

Pants
03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
i would have personally worried about the loose tie rod before the shocks. but thats just me.

we find things all the time, it's not always a "need" though. we like to prioritize the issues.

I wish you didn't live so far away man. I don't think there are too many mechanics like you out there.

Buck
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I have a 2000 Honda Civic and I love it.

The Check Engine light just came on and I need to get a new O2 sensor. Those things don't last forever.

Bowser
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Sounds like your problem is you bought a car that someone beat the living crap out of for 4 years.

This. Sounds less of a model problem and more of a dealership jamming you in the ass by selling you a less than desirable product.

Bowser
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I have a 2000 Honda Civic and I love it.

The Check Engine light just came on and I need to get a new O2 sensor. Those things don't last forever.

How many miles on it? Over 150K?

HemiEd
03-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I had to double check the date when I saw this thread. Nope, April 1st is a week away yet.

No fucking way could anyone ever have a problem with a Honda! /chiefsplanet

Buck
03-24-2011, 12:57 PM
How many miles on it? Over 150K?

chopper
03-24-2011, 01:02 PM

I was thinking about trying to do the tie rod myself, I'm getting tired of that popping noise, which is what I think that is. Is this something I should just let him do? Can't remember the exact price. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 for him to do it I think. Part is only like $25 at O'Reilly's (auto parts).
Posted via Mobile Device

KC Dan
03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
So much for my wife's car. Friggin' car shopping again. I freakin' hate it. Damn Vietnam Vet (68 yrs old) took a run of 70 feet in her work parking lot, hit the gas instead of the brake and t-boned her car. Moved it 2 parking spaces into a big truck (moving it a space) causing all of it's right side panels to have to be replaced....Arrrghhhh! The Camry is totaled. So much for our new wood floors downstairs...

Brock
03-24-2011, 03:59 PM
So much for my wife's car. Friggin' car shopping again. I freakin' hate it. Damn Vietnam Vet (68 yrs old) took a run of 70 feet in her work parking lot, hit the gas instead of the brake and t-boned her car. Moved it 2 parking spaces into a big truck (moving it a space) causing all of it's right side panels to have to be replaced....Arrrghhhh! The Camry is totaled. So much for our new wood floors downstairs...

tis but a flesh wound

sedated
03-24-2011, 04:00 PM

sounds like you should have gotten gap insurance. $300 over the life of the loan is worth it to protect yourself from losing thousands because of some dumbass.

Frazod
03-24-2011, 04:06 PM

Ouch. I take it he has no insurance?

WV
03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
We've owned a total of 4 Honda's two of which being Odyssey's and we wouldn't buy anything except Honda or Toyota.

Sfeihc
03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I had to double check the date when I saw this thread. Nope, April 1st is a week away yet.

No ****ing way could anyone ever have a problem with a Honda! /chiefsplanet

Imported from Detroit, people. It's time to buy American again.

ClevelandBronco
03-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I have a guy I go to almost exclusively since about 4 years ago. Its good to have that relationship, but he always finds at least 3 other things wrong during the "courtesy inspection." I have occasionally let him fix 1 of the issues, while choosing to fix others myself or ignoring them if they're ignorable. Is this common or am I getting hosed?...

Ask a barber whether you need a haircut.

KC Dan
03-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Ouch. I take it he has no insurance?Yep he had insurance. He was in a new Mercedes S550 SUV. Broke a couple of head lights, puched the fan housing in a bit and lit off his airbag but that was it...

KC Dan
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
The irony is thick. It was in her State Farm insurance parking lot and his accelerator was stuck down...albeit by his foot

Frazod
03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Yep he had insurance. He was in a new Mercedes S550 SUV. Broke a couple of head lights, puched the fan housing in a bit and lit off his airbag but that was it...

I don't understand how this is going to cost you anything, then. Other than the time to deal with it.

Frosty
03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
sounds like you should have gotten gap insurance. $300 over the life of the loan is worth it to protect yourself from losing thousands because of some dumbass.

Gap insurance doesn't help if the car is paid off. If a car depreciates a lot, the replacement cost will be way higher than what the insurance company will pay.

I have a '05 Silverado that is paid off and only has 30K miles on it. If some dumbass were to total it, I would be SOL.

KC Dan
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I don't understand how this is going to cost you anything, then. Other than the time to deal with it.You're right other than to replace it which will require my wood floors fund to diminish greatly cause they won't reimburse enough to replace it.

Frazod
03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
You're right other than to replace it which will require my wood floors fund to diminish greatly cause they won't reimburse enough to replace it.

Can't you sue him for the difference? If he's driving a Mercedes, he can probably afford it.

I'd definitely talk to a lawyer if I was you.

sedated
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Gap insurance doesn't help if the car is paid off. If a car depreciates a lot, the replacement cost will be way higher than what the insurance company will pay.

I have a '05 Silverado that is paid off and only has 30K miles on it. If some dumbass were to total it, I would be SOL.

I think we are talking about 2 separate issues. He said that it cost him 5K in depreciation value, which I assumed meant he was upside down by 5K and the insurance company couldn't pay that, so he had to take the hit.

If the car is paid off and its just bitching about not getting what YOU think the car is worth, then that's just the way life works. If a car is paid off, then its pure profit anyway, and can go towards a new one. Sure it sucks being forced to buy a new car, but you aren't being left with thousands in debt and starting all over.

Frosty
03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Sure it sucks being forced to buy a new car, but you aren't being left with thousands in debt and starting all over.

The problem is being possibly being forced to go into debt to get a vehicle that is close to what was wrecked through no fault of your own.

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I wish you didn't live so far away man. I don't think there are too many mechanics like you out there.

only an hour and forty minutes from O P.:thumb:

hit me up when you get serious about that lowering, we can probably save you enough dough to make it worthwhile and knock it out in one day.

price it where you are at then check with me first

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I was thinking about trying to do the tie rod myself, I'm getting tired of that popping noise, which is what I think that is. Is this something I should just let him do? Can't remember the exact price. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 for him to do it I think. Part is only like $25 at O'Reilly's (auto parts).
Posted via Mobile Device

if he's putting it on and doing the alignment thats not a bad price.

it would be about 115$ plus tax here. i would bet their labor rates are higher too.

and a slightly loose tie rod doesnt usually pop.

and you cant get the alignment right on your own, even counting threads or not moving the jam nut will get it 100% right.

aftermarket parts, even dealer parts, will differ somewhat on threads and length

Guru
03-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Wouldn't have helped me. Gap insurance at the time was only good for the first year you owned the vehicle. I was at 19 months when that happened.

vailpass
03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Did you pay cash for the Odyssey? If not, why not? The reason you are having mechanical problems is because you are a SLAVE to DEBT and it is wreaking havoc on your personal life.
Have fun making payments on a car when you could be walking for FREE!

ChiefGator
03-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Did you pay cash for the Odyssey? If not, why not? The reason you are having mechanical problems is because you are a SLAVE to DEBT and it is wreaking havoc on your personal life.

Don't be a douche.

Demonpenz
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

dennisbyrd likes this

vailpass
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Don't be a douche.

What's that n00b? Are you also a slave to DEBT?
I'll bet you have credit cards and probably owe money on your house.
FOOL!

ChiefGator
03-24-2011, 05:19 PM
What's that n00b? Are you also a slave to DEBT?
I'll bet you have credit cards and probably owe money on your house.
FOOL!

Are you mocking r8ers or just channelling him?

And, hey... you the noob by a couple months... NOOB! ;)

Frosty
03-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Wouldn't have helped me. Gap insurance at the time was only good for the first year you owned the vehicle. I was at 19 months when that happened.

That's some weird GAP insurance you had. Mine was good for the life of the loan.

Of course, it doe no good if you pay off the car early.

Baconeater
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
I know I've mentioned it before, but the Accord we had was kind of a POS. It was only 6 years old when we bought it and had been maintained by the book, and we had to fix a bunch of stupid shit on it. The worst part was when the Bose head unit started fucking up, you can't replace just the head on those, you have to replace the speakers as well because they're not compatible with anything else.

vailpass
03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Are you mocking r8ers or just channelling him?

And, hey... you the noob by a couple months... NOOB! ;)

DEBT FREE OR DIE!!!!!!
You don't need Corn Pops, Corn Puffs are just as good!
Don't get fooled by paying for a cup to drink soda out of, tell the clerk you'll pour it in your hand for a dime!

chopper
03-24-2011, 07:07 PM
if he's putting it on and doing the alignment thats not a bad price.

it would be about 115$ plus tax here. i would bet their labor rates are higher too.

and a slightly loose tie rod doesnt usually pop.

and you cant get the alignment right on your own, even counting threads or not moving the jam nut will get it 100% right.

aftermarket parts, even dealer parts, will differ somewhat on threads and length

The alignment was what I was afraid of, I'll just let him do it some time. Thanks for the tip! Any idea what the pop may be? It happens when I turn, and am straightening out the vehicle, left turns and right turns. It feels like it originates from the left side, which is where he said the tie rod was loose. He already put a new rack and pinion on it about a year ago, the popping was happening before that.

I used to drive a Jeep that also popped when I turned, but that turned out to be just a part of the steering that was hitting the fender or something. You want electrical problems? Get an old jeep, used to leave me stranded on the side of the road, no one on earth could figure out the problem, after about 5 different fixes or so someone changed the O2 sensor (I think) and that stopped it. Next problem was I had to either shift into neutral or push the shifter up into the P position to start it. Changed the neutral safety switch fixed that problem. After we fixed those major things I had 4 or 5 almost trouble free years, got it up to 165,000 before things started to pop up again and I got a new car.

Guru
03-24-2011, 07:56 PM

It is paid for ya donkey lovin ass. :thumb:

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
The alignment was what I was afraid of, I'll just let him do it some time. Thanks for the tip! Any idea what the pop may be? It happens when I turn, and am straightening out the vehicle, left turns and right turns. It feels like it originates from the left side, which is where he said the tie rod was loose. He already put a new rack and pinion on it about a year ago, the popping was happening before that.

I used to drive a Jeep that also popped when I turned, but that turned out to be just a part of the steering that was hitting the fender or something. You want electrical problems? Get an old jeep, used to leave me stranded on the side of the road, no one on earth could figure out the problem, after about 5 different fixes or so someone changed the O2 sensor (I think) and that stopped it. Next problem was I had to either shift into neutral or push the shifter up into the P position to start it. Changed the neutral safety switch fixed that problem. After we fixed those major things I had 4 or 5 almost trouble free years, got it up to 165,000 before things started to pop up again and I got a new car.
Caravan? Town and country? Sorry if you already said.....

If so and he changed the rack I would bet you need sway bar links and sway bar bushings at the subframe.

And you probably could have just adjusted the shifter cable on that jeep rather than replace the neutral safety switch...
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
And I looked chopper.

You did say a 05 t&c.

I would bet you need what I said. I could tell you if I heard the noise.
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
JA...what does a battery charger/tester that can do load tests cost? Is that a normal home garage tool?

chopper
03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Caravan? Town and country? Sorry if you already said.....

If so and he changed the rack I would bet you need sway bar links and sway bar bushings at the subframe.

And you probably could have just adjusted the shifter cable on that jeep rather than replace the neutral safety switch...
Posted via Mobile Device

T&C. I will look into that, thank you for sharing your vast knowledge. You must love what you do to put up with people constantly asking you questions about cars.

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
T&C. I will look into that, thank you for sharing your vast knowledge. You must love what you do to put up with people constantly asking you questions about cars.

Lol. I look at people here as neighbors. This is my online community. I don't mind helping out. As long as people understand I can only give advice based on my experience and what they are telling me. I would be sure if I could actually look at them.

And most days I hate cars LMAO.

If you need anything feel free to ask. If you try something yourself and need someone to help with an issue I am glad to give advice, just ask.

that goes for any of you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Love my honda, i've had a 2001 honda accord that lasted up to 88k before a kid rammed into and killed it. I had that car for 6 years and it never went to the shop except for oil changes and 1 tuneup/brake pad change. On my 2nd accord a 2007 with 50k on it now, owned 2 years perfection so far.

Hondas are rock solid

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
JA...what does a battery charger/tester that can do load tests cost? Is that a normal home garage tool?

My load tester doesn't charge, I just got a new one digital about 249.00 I think. I wouldn't think someone would need more than a charger for home
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
My load tester doesn't charge, I just got a new one digital about 249.00 I think. I wouldn't think someone would need more than a charger for home
Posted via Mobile Device

Just had an issue with a 2 yr old Interstate battery. Thought it was the starter, it had 200k miles on it. Just clicked one time when I turned the key. Lights, radio, heater fan didn't budge when turning the key. About the 5th time I turned the key it started right up. Every time after that and my charger said the battery was 100%.

Starter, right? LOL, bought one for $248 and found out a week later it was the 2 yr old battery.

rageeumr
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I bought some Honda stock today. Down 10% since tsunami. It may take a while, but it will be back.

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Just had an issue with a 2 yr old Interstate battery. Thought it was the starter, it had 200k miles on it. Just clicked one time when I turned the key. Lights, radio, heater fan didn't budge when turning the key. About the 5th time I turned the key it started right up. Every time after that and my charger said the battery was 100%.

Starter, right? LOL, bought one for $248 and found out a week later it was the 2 yr old battery.
Yeah I would have guessed a bad connection at the battery on that one
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Geez, when it rains it pours. The fan motor on my furnace just went tits up. right when it is getting cold out again too.

LiveSteam
03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I know I've mentioned it before, but the Accord we had was kind of a POS. It was only 6 years old when we bought it and had been maintained by the book, and we had to fix a bunch of stupid shit on it. The worst part was when the Bose head unit started fucking up, you can't replace just the head on those, you have to replace the speakers as well because they're not compatible with anything else.

I remember that car having issues with a 25 cent quarter.

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah I would have guessed a bad connection at the battery on that one
Posted via Mobile Device

Moral of the story, if I had spent $249 on a battery load tester it would have ended up only costing me $1 since I bought the starter for $248.:doh!:

Baconeater
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Geez, when it rains it pours. The fan motor on my furnace just went tits up. right when it is getting cold out again too.What makes you think it's the motor?

Baconeater
03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
I remember that car having issues with a 25 cent quarter.
Hehe, yeah. The funniest thing about that is Amy's mom had the car to the dealer several times about that seat, and they could never figure it out. Dumbasses.

Guru
03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
What makes you think it's the motor?

Well, thats what my furnace installer seems to think it is. He is coming out tomorrow to fix it no matter what it is anyway. Either way, my furnace isn't working.

ferrarispider95
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Should have bought American, just had this baby delivered to my doorstep.

Over 50 years old, original engine, rear end, generator, manifolds, intake, carb, spare tire, etc. A true survivor.

Baconeater
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Well, thats what my furnace installer seems to think it is. He is coming out tomorrow to fix it no matter what it is anyway. Either way, my furnace isn't working.
Ah, I see. I haven't gotten very far in my gas heat class, but from what I've learned so far there's about a dozen things that are more likely to fail before the fan motor does.

Baconeater
03-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Should have bought American, just had this baby delivered to my doorstep.

Over 50 years old, original engine, rear end, generator, manifolds, intake, carb, spare tire, etc. A true survivor.
Where is he supposed to put his seventeen kids?

Guru
03-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Ah, I see. I haven't gotten very far in my gas heat class, but from what I've learned so far there's about a dozen things that are more likely to fail before the fan motor does.

Yeah, it's my uncle who has been installing furnace and AC units for over 40 years. I pretty much trust whatever he says. heh

JASONSAUTO
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Moral of the story, if I had spent $249 on a battery load tester it would have ended up only costing me $1 since I bought the starter for $248.:doh!:
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device