PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Smoked shoulder for pulled pork question

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Ok, I've been smoking since the mid 80's but have never done a pork shoulder for pulled pork.

Yeah yeah, I know so don't even start with the insults.

I'm planning on taking the plunge and smoking one this weekend for a March Madness watching party.

Been looking at recipes and I have a question to the seasoned shoulder/butt smokers out there.....do you pre-soak in a brine?

MOhillbilly
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
meat + fire

booyaf2
03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
No need to presoak or brine a shoulder. Cover it in mustard or olive oil, then coat with your favorite bbq seasoning the night before you plan to smoke it.

Dave Lane
03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok, I've been smoking since the mid 80's but have never done a pork shoulder for pulled pork.

Yeah yeah, I know so don't even start with the insults.

I'm planning on taking the plunge and smoking one this weekend for a March Madness watching party.

Been looking at recipes and I have a question to the seasoned shoulder/butt smokers out there.....do you pre-soak in a brine?

No just rub, and smoke it low and slow. Also good quality meat will help your final product a lot. Mcgonigles or some higher end meat store is only a few cents more for great meat for a extra good finished product.

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm planning on getting a smoker before the summer and the 1st thing I wanna try is a shoulder. I can't. Believe you've never tried it.

Great Expectations
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
A shoulder is the easiest meat to smoke, keep it below 275 degrees and pull it off when the internal temp hits 200 degrees (or 190 if you wrap it in foil and towels then put in a cooler for a few hours).

I've been injecting mine with Coke (soda not drug) the last few times and it makes it a little sweeter. Compliments a spicy rub well.

DrRyan
03-24-2011, 10:20 AM
A shoulder is the easiest meat to smoke, keep it below 275 degrees and pull it off when the internal temp hits 200 degrees (or 190 if you wrap it in foil and towels then put in a cooler for a few hours).

I've been injecting mine with Coke (soda not drug) the last few times and it makes it a little sweeter. Compliments a spicy rub well.

IMO, that is way too high of a temperature to be smoking a shoulder at. I just smoked two a couple days ago and I always smoke them at ~195 until the temperature stabilizes at 175-185 and then increase the temp closer to 275. It takes quite a bit longer but slow and low is the only way to go when smoking. I don't think bringing is necessary but I did brine but the last two I did on a recommendation from a friend and I did like the result. I was able to get a serious bark on the shoulders and the meat was still incredibly moist and basically pulled itself when it came time to pull the pork.

Take it for what it's worth, but I have been doing them under 200 degrees for a long time and everyone loves them. I took one of the shoulders to a group of about 20 people that work for me and the entire shoulder was gone in less than 10 minutes.

Dave Lane
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
225 till the internal is 195. About 6-10 hours depending on size. then all the brine / inject / mustard is meaningless its just smoke and meat :)

Phobia
03-24-2011, 10:45 AM
225 till the internal is 195. About 6-10 hours depending on size. then all the brine / inject / mustard is meaningless its just smoke and meat :)

This is me too. I don't do a whole lot to butt or shoulder if it's just going to be pulled anyway.

Jaric
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Only recipe I've seen calls for a cold water brine of mollasses and pickling salt (and water of couse) and then just a dry spice rub.

Haven't made it myself yet, waiting for it to get warmer out before I put together my smoker and give it a go.

Molitoth
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I just throw mine in a crockpot on low with a half bottle of sweet baby rays for like 10 hours. =P

Great Expectations
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
IMO, that is way too high of a temperature to be smoking a shoulder at. I just smoked two a couple days ago and I always smoke them at ~195 until the temperature stabilizes at 175-185 and then increase the temp closer to 275. It takes quite a bit longer but slow and low is the only way to go when smoking. I don't think bringing is necessary but I did brine but the last two I did on a recommendation from a friend and I did like the result. I was able to get a serious bark on the shoulders and the meat was still incredibly moist and basically pulled itself when it came time to pull the pork.

Take it for what it's worth, but I have been doing them under 200 degrees for a long time and everyone loves them. I took one of the shoulders to a group of about 20 people that work for me and the entire shoulder was gone in less than 10 minutes.

I typically cook mine between 225-250, if the temp gets to 275 there is no reason to freak out. It is my understanding that it is unsafe to have a large pork shoulder on the smoker under 225, there is too big of a bacteria risk. Same thing with a turkey.

Dave Lane
03-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Once the internal is above 160 it doesn't matter. 195 just makes sure its fall apart goodness.

Great Expectations
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Once the internal is above 160 it doesn't matter. 195 just makes sure its fall apart goodness.

Wouldn't it take the internal way too long to get there?

Bill Lundberg
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
changing gears a bit - Has anyone ever smoked catfish fillets?

I'm going to try it this weekend and would like to hear from anyone who's tried it.

booyaf2
03-24-2011, 12:28 PM

I'm going to try it this weekend and would like to hear from anyone who's tried it.

Catfish was meant to be fried. Personally the only fish i've smoked with any success was salmon

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 12:34 PM
No brine. Check.
I'll dry rub it tonight. Check.
Internal temp to about 195. Check.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Phobia
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Man, I'd just hit 'em briefly with the smoke and finish them wrapped, in a pan, or oven.

dave0320
03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
To start with I use a Cookshack Electric Smoker. Always use at least a 14lb or better Pork Butt, rub mustard oall over it, than liberally rub on your favorite rub. Place it in your smoker and keep at 225 de, until you hit an internal temperature of 195 de. Fil for 25 minutes in a cooler and wrap in towles. I use a pair of "bear-claws" to pull the meat. If you have left-overs, freeze in cryovac bags, and boil frozen for 10 minutes, and it tasts as fresh as went you 1st smoked the butt.

Over-Head
03-24-2011, 01:13 PM
chop it up really fine or you'll have trouble rolling it up....:p

ps:
Use Zig Zag's, they tend to be a bit more water proof

Bill Lundberg
03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Man, I'd just hit 'em briefly with the smoke and finish them wrapped, in a pan, or oven.

I thought this one looked pretty good
Smoked Catfish Brine Recipe

To give the fish a good flavor and the right texture, it needs to be brined for a few hours before smoking. To make the catfish brine, combine...
1 gallon cold water
3/4 cup non-iodized table salt, or canning salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Mix until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.

Preparing The Catfish

For best results, use fillets that are about the same size and thickness. Thinner fillets take less time to brine and less time to smoke. If you're brining and smoking whole sides, trim off the thin belly edge and the thinnest part of the tail end so the overall thickness is fairly consistent from end to end, and top to bottom.
If you haven't already, remove the skin from the fillets, too.

Brining Catfish

Use a non-reactive container to brine in. That would include glass, ceramic, crockery, plastic and stainless steel. Heck, you could even use a couple of gallon freezer bags to brine in. Actually, those are about the best.
One gallon of brine is enough for 5 to 6 pounds of fillets. Get 2 freezer bags and place about 3 pounds of cat fillets and 1/2 gallon of the brine in each of 'em.

Place the bags in a large bowl (just in case they spring a leak) and put it in the fridge. Leave it there for 4 hours. Move the brining catfish around a few times while it's in the fridge so it brines evenly.

Time's Up! Remove the catfish from the bags and give the fillets a quick rinse. Pat dry with clean towels.

Lay the fillets on a raised rack, so air can reach both sides. Let the fish air dry for an hour or so at room temperature, until it's not sticky anymore. It should start to get a slightly hard coating on the surface. When it does, it's ready to smoke.

How To Smoke Catfish

You can make smoked catfish in a regular smoker or in a grill.(see Gas Grill Smoking) It's important to keep the temperature down just below 200 degrees if you can. 190 is good. If the smoker temperature gets too hot, the juices will start to bleed out of the fish, and it won't be as moist.
Apple or cherry is good wood to use. It won't take a whole lot, either. One good fist sized chunk, or a couple handfuls of water soaked chips wrapped in foil should do it. And if it's not smokey enough for you, use more the next time.

Continue smoking the catfish until it flakes. Remove it an let it thoroughly cool before eating. Your smoked catfish will keep stored in the fridge for up to a week. If it's going to be kept longer (hidden, that is) wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil and freeze it. It will keep 6 months in the freezer.

cabletech94
03-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I just throw mine in a crockpot on low with a half bottle of sweet baby rays for like 10 hours. =P

i did this for the playoff game (minus the sweet ray's).
it was PHENOMENAL!

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Rubbed my 9 1/2 pound butt a little while ago. I'll re-rub it tomorrow night just before putting it on the smoker.

crispystl420
03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I typically cook mine between 225-250, if the temp gets to 275 there is no reason to freak out. It is my understanding that it is unsafe to have a large pork shoulder on the smoker under 225, there is too big of a bacteria risk. Same thing with a turkey.

I'm not an experienced smoker but you can hold any food at 140 without worrying about bacteria you just need the final cooked temp to be above 160 for pork, and if your smoking it obviously you will get way above that.

booyaf2
03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Rubbed my 9 1/2 pound butt a little while ago. I'll re-rub it tomorrow night just before putting it on the smoker.

Fear not my friend, you can't screw up pulled pork.

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Fear not my friend, you can't screw up pulled pork.

I'm a little concerned about the finishing sauce. I plan on using my normal homemade BBQ sauce that I make for ribs. Vinegar based but with ketchup, molasses, honey and other secret spices. Wondering if it will be too sweet.

Any suggestions?

KCTitus
03-24-2011, 08:14 PM
booya's right...you cant screw up shoulder or boston butts. Started doing them last year and have soaked, brined, injected all that and I didnt find it did a whole lot for the pork. It's not a brisket...its got a ton more internal fat and that will keep it naturally moist.

A good rub to create that outer bark is most important, I think. If you're pulled pork is good enough, you wont need sauce. ;)

mlyonsd
03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
booya's right...you cant screw up shoulder or boston butts. Started doing them last year and have soaked, brined, injected all that and I didnt find it did a whole lot for the pork. It's not a brisket...its got a ton more internal fat and that will keep it naturally moist.

A good rub to create that outer bark is most important, I think. If you're pulled pork is good enough, you wont need sauce. ;)

Holy Chit a Titus sighting. I'm honored.

Glad to hear another one post even I can't screw it up.

RJ
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Dry rub, long smoke, 225-250. 195 finished temp for best results. Feel free to PM.

Just Passin' By
03-24-2011, 08:47 PM
I couldn't sleep last night, so I ended up watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS. They prepared pulled pork from the butt, indoors, in the oven, trying to simulate grilled cooking. They used a brine with liquid smoke, and they used both a wet and dry rub.

I don't have a membership to their website, so I don't know if it's on there. You might want to check that, though, if you want to try it inside due to the weather.

Phobia
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I couldn't sleep last night, so I ended up watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS. They prepared pulled pork from the butt, indoors, in the oven, trying to simulate grilled cooking. They used a brine with liquid smoke, and they used both a wet and dry rub.

I don't have a membership to their website, so I don't know if it's on there. You might want to check that, though, if you want to try it inside due to the weather.

Ban or just warn?

Just Passin' By
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Ban or just warn?

:shrug:

Hey, I just posted an option for when the weather keeps you inside. Not everyone's a BBQ snob, after all. Some of us focus our snobbery on different foodstuffs. ;)

RJ
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Ban or just warn?

I can understand you asking on the close calls but that one is pretty clear cut.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Ban or just warn?
Ban.

Simply Red
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM

This is true, QFT - the fish take to smoke VERY easily. Perfect advice there.

Simply Red
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Hi KCT

KCHawg
03-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Ban or just warn?

Has to be a ban.....BBQ in the oven? WTF? You a donk fan or something?:p

Just Passin' By
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Has to be a ban.....BBQ in the oven? WTF? You a donk fan or something?:p

That show tries to find workarounds for foodstuffs we often prepare differently. They did a fried chicken in that same episode that consisted of starting off by frying in a shallow pan and finishing it up in the oven. I've never used any of the recipes, but I was trying to be helpful and to give the man an option.

Y'all can piss off in the future.

You ***** probably eat Manhattan style clam chowder.

Dave Lane
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM

Agreed Boston Butt is an easy smoke...

Dave Lane
03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Ban or just warn?

I'm really leaning to an IP ban, but at least a miserable user status is called for here.

Just Passin' By
03-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Serious question here.

I was given an electric smoker at the end of last summer. Are the electrics a hassle to use?

Phobia
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Serious question here.

I was given an electric smoker at the end of last summer. Are the electrics a hassle to use?

I don't know but you can make some Cheater Dave Lane Q with an electric. He's a Cookshack disciple.

shirtsleeve
03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
That show tries to find workarounds for foodstuffs we often prepare differently. They did a fried chicken in that same episode that consisted of starting off by frying in a shallow pan and finishing it up in the oven. I've never used any of the recipes, but I was trying to be helpful and to give the man an option.

Now THATS bannable.:shake:

But you can smoke in the below zero snow and cold. I like maple. I also use maple syrup in my brine. I call it New England BBQ. Skip all the BS spices. salt, pepper, white wine, and maple syrup. plain and simple. Brine for a week. Then smoke slow and COLD in the winter snow. Maple and apple wood. minimum of 12 hours of heavy smoke and then to guild the lily, another of light cold smoke for 12 more.

Best evah.

KCHawg
03-24-2011, 11:13 PM

Wouldn't feed it to a raiders fan, maybe a donks fan......

booyaf2
03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm a little concerned about the finishing sauce. I plan on using my normal homemade BBQ sauce that I make for ribs. Vinegar based but with ketchup, molasses, honey and other secret spices. Wondering if it will be too sweet.

Any suggestions?

Go easy on finishing sauce, I always serve mine without and let the guests decide whether or not to sauce. Or I sauce one pan, and leave the other without.
Just fire up the smoker and get it cooking. No need to stress if your temps aren't the perfect 225 or whatever your goal is. My temps have bounced anywhere from 200 to 300. You'll be pleased with your final product just so long as you don't overshoot your 195-200 (internal meat) temp.

3rd&48ers
03-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Lexington NC Style
Hickory
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2319899404_ba1c8956cc.jpg
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2319899404_ba1c8956cc.jpg)

wilas101
03-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Serious question here.

I got an electric smoker last year to start fiddling with... my biggest problem has been getting the damned thing to actually smoke. kept at roughly 225 it doesn't want to get the chips smoking. I've taken to firing up the grill and getting the chips to smoking before putting the pan in with the meat. Once in there it's sealed up well enough that a little smoke goes a long way.

other than that it's been pretty easy to get started with.

Bill Lundberg
03-25-2011, 07:18 AM
I got an electric smoker last year to start fiddling with... my biggest problem has been getting the damned thing to actually smoke. kept at roughly 225 it doesn't want to get the chips smoking. I've taken to firing up the grill and getting the chips to smoking before putting the pan in with the meat. Once in there it's sealed up well enough that a little smoke goes a long way.

other than that it's been pretty easy to get started with.

I had one before I got my traeger and I had lava rocks in the bottom around the element. I would put either chunks of dry wood right on the element or make a foil chimney for the chips and place them right on the element. Never had any problems with not enough smoke. My problem was that it wouldn't hold the heat very well in colder weather.

wilas101
03-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I had one before I got my traeger and I had lava rocks in the bottom around the element. I would put either chunks of dry wood right on the element or make a foil chimney for the chips and place them right on the element. Never had any problems with not enough smoke. My problem was that it wouldn't hold the heat very well in colder weather.

I might give that a try. I'd heard the same thing about them staying warm in the winter but I haven't had a temp issue. I did some ribs back in january when it was cold as hell and it held temp fine. maybe they finally started insulating them or something? /shrug

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. You're right, you can't hardly screw up a pork shoulder. Most of the fat and connective tissue just dissolves and it just falls apart. 195 is definitely the proper finishing temp.

16 hours and it turned out awesome.

Grilled buns, cole slaw, and I'll be getting out the propane cooker to make homemade kettle chips.

KCTitus
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Did you have a stall or were you watching that closely?

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Did you have a stall or were you watching that closely?Stall?

Dave Lane
03-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Lexington NC Style
Hickory
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2319899404_ba1c8956cc.jpg
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2319899404_ba1c8956cc.jpg)

Hilarious that rubes in the Carolinas think they make anything that is even close to eatable BBQ.

KCTitus
03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Stall?

Sometimes Q will stall...pork will hang up at around 160 degrees and start to backup its internal temp for a while...thats when the fat and connective tissue is breaking down. Happens on my brisket more than pork, but thats when the 'magic' happens.

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Sometimes Q will stall...pork will hang up at around 160 degrees and start to backup its internal temp for a while...thats when the fat and connective tissue is breaking down. Happens on my brisket more than pork, but thats when the 'magic' happens.

Holy chit.

That's exactly what happened. Put it on last night and at about 8, at 6:30 this morning I was expecting it to be close but it was only at 170. Put some more wood on and checked again at 8:30. Had only raised maybe 1 degree.

I thought my 1985 model electric MECO smoker had taken a crap. I figured I'd have to finish it in the oven. I had to run to town and was gone 2 hours and when I got back it had jumped to 190. Went to 195 within about 45 minutes.

I'm glad you posted this cause I wasn't sure WTH was going on.

Dave Lane
03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Its how it always happens sometimes longer at 160-170 but when it goes it pops up pretty quick.

3rd&48ers
03-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Hilarious that rubes in the Carolinas think they make anything that is even close to eatable BBQ.

Ignorant statement there guy, I would love to try KC BBQ or any other for that matter and after I ate it I would tell you if I liked it or not...
Eat it first, if you don't like it, then bitch.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/jnt1e.gif

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
This is the dumbest post I've read all day. And I've read a stevieray post today, too.

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Its how it always happens sometimes longer at 160-170 but when it goes it pops up pretty quick.

It was just funny because for 9 1/2 lbs I was thinking about 13 hours and when it only went up about a degree between hours 10-12 I was afraid my dear old smoker was shot.

I can see if a guy didn't know about stalling he might up the heat for no reason.

KCTitus
03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Holy chit.

That's exactly what happened. Put it on last night and at about 8, at 6:30 this morning I was expecting it to be close but it was only at 170. Put some more wood on and checked again at 8:30. Had only raised maybe 1 degree.

I thought my 1985 model electric MECO smoker had taken a crap. I figured I'd have to finish it in the oven. I had to run to town and was gone 2 hours and when I got back it had jumped to 190. Went to 195 within about 45 minutes.

Sure....you didnt panic, left it to do its thing, and that's the key.

KCTitus
03-26-2011, 02:27 PM
I can see if a guy didn't know about stalling he might up the heat for no reason.

Shhh...dont tell anyone, it's the secret to good 'Q

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Sure....you didnt panic, left it to do its thing, and that's the key.

Amazing what you can learn on CP.

There's not a whole lot of things I haven't smoked so this one had me scratching my head.

Stewie
03-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Wait. You did a whole pork shoulder?

Pork shoulder is both the butt and picnic. The shoulder is a great cut, but if you did a whole shoulder it needs to be treated differently than a butt or picnic cut cooked individually.

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Shhh...dont tell anyone, it's the secret to good 'QWell I still wouldn't know if you hadn't spilled the beans.

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Wait. You did a whole pork shoulder?

Pork shoulder is both the butt and picnic. The shoulder is a great cut, but if you did a whole shoulder it needs to be treated differently than a butt or picnic cut cooked individually.

No it was just the butt. What's different about the whole shoulder?

KCTitus
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Ignorant statement there guy, I would love to try KC BBQ or any other for that matter and after I ate it I would tell you if I liked it or not...
Eat it first, if you don't like it, then bitch.

BBQ is BBQ -- smoked meats. The only difference between the regions is what they do to the meat afterward. Im not a fan of vinegary watery NC style sauce. They make some mean pork, but leave the cole slaw on the side and dont put any sauce on mine and Im good.

That said, Im no fan of Arthur Bryants sauce either.

Stewie
03-26-2011, 02:44 PM
No it was just the butt. What's different about the whole shoulder?

The shoulder is a much bigger cut... from the shoulder to the hoof. We humans have skinny arms, but think of the whole shoulder as your upper arm (bicep area) and forearm. The pork butt is your upper arm, the picnic is your forearm. The picnic cut is less fatty, buy damn good. The whole shoulder, done right, is killer.

3rd&48ers
03-26-2011, 02:45 PM
BBQ is BBQ -- smoked meats. The only difference between the regions is what they do to the meat afterward. Im not a fan of vinegary watery NC style sauce. They make some mean pork, but leave the cole slaw on the side and dont put any sauce on mine and Im good.

That said, Im no fan of Arthur Bryants sauce either.

Yup it's a regional thing, I am not into the thick sweet sauces but I would love to try any regions Q , the main difference is we do pork and most other places call bbq beef....

I will not snub my nose at any of it, I just like to eat...:thumb:

mlyonsd
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
The shoulder is a much bigger cut... from the shoulder to the hoof. We humans have skinny arms, but think of the whole shoulder as your upper arm (bicep area) and forearm. The pork butt is your upper arm, the picnic is your forearm. The picnic cut is less fatty, buy damn good. The whole shoulder, done right, is killer.

Guy, is that you?

So how do you do it differently?

3rd&48ers
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM

When I was a kid (16) I worked in a local BBQ joint here that cooked whole shoulders, we had to break them down and chop them or slice them, it's an excellent tasting part of the pig.

We use to pull the skin off the cooked shoulders and take a knife and cut the layer of fat off the inside of the skin, then we would drop it in the deep fryer and have killer pork skins to munch on, we would dip them in BBQ sauce.

Good Stuff

Stewie
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Yup it's a regional thing, I am not into the thick sweet sauces but I would love to try any regions Q , the main difference is we do pork and most other places call bbq beef....

I will not snub my nose at any of it, I just like to eat...:thumb:

True dat. The only issue here is that beef BBQ is mainly Texas. Most other areas do a brisket, but that's it for beef. The rest is pork. You'll rarely find beef ribs, as an example, in a BBQ restaurant outside of Texas. Not that they're not tasty, but it's not the focus.

Eating BBQ = Greatness

3rd&48ers
03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
True dat. The only issue here is that beef BBQ is mainly Texas. Most other areas do a brisket, but that's it for beef. The rest is pork. You'll rarely find beef ribs, as an example, in a BBQ restaurant outside of Texas. Not that they're not tasty, but it's not the focus.

Eating BBQ = Greatness

I read alot here about brisket, I will come out one day and try this stuff... sounds delicious.

3rd&48ers
03-26-2011, 03:03 PM
this chick has an annoying voice but it's a pretty good example of Lexington Style BBQ here in NC

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M9hWvdEblu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bill Lundberg
03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
The catfish just went on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Phobia
03-26-2011, 04:44 PM
The catfish just went on.

See you in an hour.

Bill Lundberg
03-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Just in case the catfish doesn't work out... 3 racks of baby backs..

Oh and the catfish is excellent!

Phobia
03-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Crap. I missed it. Nobody answered the door.

donkhater
03-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Holy chit.

At 160 the meat is cooked. The extra 30 degrees is what it takes to melt the connective tissue. Basically, the meat is absorbing the heat until all the tissue is melted, then it has no choice but to start warming again since there is nothing left to melt. Technically it represents the 'heat capacity' of the meat.

Bill Lundberg
03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Crap. I missed it. Nobody answered the door.

We're still here, there's plenty of left overs...

Demonpenz
03-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Catfish will be ok most of the flavor always comps from what you put on the fish though. I loved fried catfish. Fish doesn't take long to cook that is sure. I put tipilia on the grill and it is on there for like 10 minutes or less

Phobia
03-26-2011, 06:17 PM
We're still here, there's plenty of left overs...

Heh. I know how to get in if I'm really hungry. Enjoy the evening with your family.

Groves
03-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Stall?

I totally thought it was a meatpeaker reference, too.

chris
04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
To start with I use a Cookshack Electric Smoker. Always use at least a 14lb or better Pork Butt, rub mustard oall over it, than liberally rub on your favorite rub. Place it in your smoker and keep at 225 de, until you hit an internal temperature of 195 de. Fil for 25 minutes in a cooler and wrap in towles. I use a pair of "bear-claws" to pull the meat. If you have left-overs, freeze in cryovac bags, and boil frozen for 10 minutes, and it tasts as fresh as went you 1st smoked the butt.

Why the Cookshack Electric Smoker? Thanks