PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Gingrich has 2 strong positions on Libya, unfortunately, they are contradictory

banyon
03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Newt Gingrich's Libya 'flip-flop': What was he thinking?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eZnYbbY57qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thu Mar 24, 6:50 am ET

New York Gingrich hammered President Obama earlier this month for not intervening in Libya. Now he's griping, "I would not have intervened." Huh?

Former House speaker and current GOP presidential aspirant Newt Gingrich has done a "complete flip-flop" on his Libya position, says George Zornick at ThinkProgress. On March 7, he told Fox News that, were he president, he would unilaterally "exercise a no-fly zone this evening," on the grounds that "we think that slaughtering your own citizens is unacceptable." After President Obama did just that a couple weeks later, Gingrich slammed him, telling NBC, "I would not have intervened," especially not using "American and European forces." Gingrich has since tried to explain the discrepancy in a Facebook post. Is this cynical politics at its worst, or just a minor misstep?

He just has loose lips: Gingrich stuck his foot in his mouth, and it's hardly the first time, says Ben Smith at Politico . The only question this time is whether his gaffe is a product of Gingrich's inexperience with the new level of media scrutiny he's facing in 2011 "or the lack of discipline that always drew criticism."
"The full Newt"

Gingrich knows that consistency no longer matters: The only explanation for Gingrich's "obvious and public U-turn," says Kevin Drum at Mother Jones, is that he just doesn't think such inconsistencies matter. And he may be right. "The media doesn't really care" anymore, and the GOP base "doesn't read ThinkProgress," so Gingrich has learned that he might as well be "really brazen about your flip-flops." That must be "pretty damn liberating."
"The new media rules"

Sure, Gingrich is consistent about opposing Obama: Gingrich is simply letting us know that "he thinks whatever Obama isn't doing is the right thing to do," says Brian Doherty at Reason. He's certainly not the first politician to flip-flop like this Joe Biden threatened to impeach George W. Bush for waging war without Congress' green light, which Obama essentially just did. But it does make Gingrich "an absolutely 100 percent shoo-in to be one of the guys dropping out of the GOP presidential race in 2012 early."
"One advantage of blind partisanship..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/theweek/20110324/cm_theweek/213461

Bill Parcells
03-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe MSNBC should interview his mother and ask her what she thinks of the Colonel.

Seriously though, almost every politician contradicts themselves nowadays. it is becoming obviously embarrassing.

I pray to god every night that Christie will decide to run for president.

AustinChief
03-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Gingrich is a partisan hack. I doubt he actually has any cohesive beliefs of his own... pretty much believes whatever is opposite of the dems... of course, that same hypocrisy applies to the leftists who whined about any and every military action Bush took and are now gung ho behind Obama.

AustinChief
03-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Gingrich is a partisan hack. I doubt he actually has any cohesive beliefs of his own... pretty much believes whatever is opposite of the dems... of course, that same hypocrisy applies to the leftists who whined about any and every military action Bush took and are now gung ho behind Obama.

Oops, I guess I should have read the article before posting... pretty much says exactly what I just did.

banyon
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Maybe MSNBC should interview his mother and ask her what she thinks of the Colonel.

Seriously though, almost every politician contradicts themselves nowadays. it is becoming obviously embarrassing.

I pray to god every night that Christie will decide to run for president.

I wish I could find that old SNL with Chris Farley and the Connie Chung skit. I tried Hulu, Youtube, and the SNL site and it doesn't appear anywhere I can find. But it was hilarious.

Rep to anyone who can embed it.

banyon
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM

True, but few of them flipped so brazenly in less than a few weeks.

The Mad Crapper
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Who gives a flying fuck about Gingrich?

Why don't you start a thread about your mulatto hero, banyon? You POS.

patteeu
03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Gingrich has 2 strong positions on Libya, unfortunately, they are contradictory

This would actually be a selling point should Gingrich get the Republican nomination. Afterall, Obama had 2 contradictory positions on Libya too, but in his case they were both weak. ;)

mlyonsd
03-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Newt was on Fox Sunday yesterday....Wallace took him to task pretty well on it. That and the affair.

alnorth
03-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I used to have more respect for Newt as a conservative who was pretty consistent and wasn't afraid to take politically unpopular positions. He changed somewhere along the way and beginning a few years ago he morphed into a partisan hack.

BucEyedPea
03-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I used to have more respect for Newt as a conservative who was pretty consistent and wasn't afraid to take politically unpopular positions. He changed somewhere along the way and beginning a few years ago he morphed into a partisan hack.

Newt says he's not a conservative. He's being honest with that admission. He's also not a free-market guy, by his own admission, despite him using the words to fool real conservatives. He's a Rockefeller R who worked on Rockefeller's campaign. Rockefeller is Progressive.

patteeu
03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Newt says he's not a conservative. He's being honest with that admission. He's also not a free-market guy, by his own admission, despite him using the words to fool real conservatives. He's a Rockefeller R who worked on Rockefeller's campaign. Rockefeller is Progressive.

These claims are highly questionable given your sources.

chiefsnorth
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Who cares about Newt?