PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs, Browns set post-workout visits with Baylor NT Taylor

Tribal Warfare
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Chiefs, Browns set post-workout visits with Baylor NT Taylor (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eff464/article/chiefs-browns-having-baylors-taylor-in-for-visit-after-workout?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

Baylor nose tackle Phil Taylor will continue his busy pre-draft workout schedule with sessions for the New York Jets and Denver Broncos this week, a league source said Tuesday.

Taylor worked out for the Cleveland Browns (No. 6 overall pick), Kansas City Chiefs (No. 21) and one other AFC team last week, and he has visits slated for next week with the New Orleans Saints (No. 24), San Francisco 49ers (No. 7) and Chiefs, according to the source. In addition, Taylor has visits scheduled with the Browns, Tennessee Titans (No. 8), Indianapolis Colts (No. 22) and Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 31) in the near future.

So the Browns and Chiefs will end up not only working out Taylor privately but also having him in for a visit.

Taylor will spend time with teams that run both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, but he is a bit unique from this distinguished class of incoming defensive linemen in that he projects as more of a pure 3-4 nose tackle than the rest of this versatile group.

Taylor could find a role in either system, but if a team picking in the latter half of the first round or in the second round is looking for a 3-4 nose tackle, Taylor fits the bill.

Detoxing
03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
If that's the case, trade down and get him.

Nightfyre
03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Eh. Getting a pure nose is worth staying at 21 imo.

KCrockaholic
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
A post-workout visit means the Chiefs aren't just interested, they're thinking about pulling the trigger on him if he's there at 21.

Bewbies
03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
A post-workout visit means the Chiefs aren't just interested, they're thinking about pulling the trigger on him if he's there at 21.

Or they're wanting other teams to think that.

KCrockaholic
03-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Or they're wanting other teams to think that.

It's possible...

There's too many head games played in the NFL :shake:

Bewbies
03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
It's possible...

That's why I don't invest myself heavily into mock drafts and such. ESPECIALLY with Pioli running things.

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Taylor would be my second choice behind Ayers.

Bump
03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
nobody in this draft excites me, well except for Cam Newton.

aturnis
03-29-2011, 09:53 PM
The workout means they liked his tape. The post workout visit means they liked his workout and want to spend some time with him to feel out his character and see what makes him tick. Likely b/c of the same questions everyone has. He was a "meh" player most of his career who played for a team who didn't stop the run real well. He made an impressive late season run, killed the senior bowl, and looked good ever since. They want to find out if he's really driven. Whether his big upswing was b/c he finally figured it out (like a 3rd yr. NFL D-lineman) or if he has "contract year fever" and is looking to get paid.

Chris Meck
03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
I think maybe this is the guy. We've not spent this much time with anyone else unless I missed it.

Bewbies
03-29-2011, 11:28 PM
The workout means they liked his tape. The post workout visit means they liked his workout and want to spend some time with him to feel out his character and see what makes him tick. Likely b/c of the same questions everyone has. He was a "meh" player most of his career who played for a team who didn't stop the run real well. He made an impressive late season run, killed the senior bowl, and looked good ever since. They want to find out if he's really driven. Whether his big upswing was b/c he finally figured it out (like a 3rd yr. NFL D-lineman) or if he has "contract year fever" and is looking to get paid.

I'm pretty sure with our front office the interview FAR outweighs the workout in importance. And none of us will ever hear anything about what happens in those interviews....

Urc Burry
03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Kris Jenkins says he's done with jets, and wants to play for a grass field team...would you guys be opposed to picking him for a short term fix and going OLB in the first?

talastan
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Kris Jenkins says he's done with jets, and wants to play for a grass field team...would you guys be opposed to picking him for a short term fix and going OLB in the first?

If he passes physicals and still has a year or two left in the tank why not? You can still pick up Powe in the third to develop behind him. The only thing that I see wrong with this would depend on how long till we have FA? No CBA means less time for FAs to work with their new teams.

Chiefshrink
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM

You nailed it!!!:thumb:

Chiefshrink
03-30-2011, 02:41 PM
It's possible...

It's all poker at this point!!!

Chiefshrink
03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't see Pioli drafting a character question mark(work ethic) kinda guy like Taylor in the first rd.

Detoxing
03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't see Pioli drafting a character question mark(work ethic) kinda guy like Taylor in the first rd.

I think they'll pull the trigger on him. They're paying him a LOT of attention for a reason.

aturnis
03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Depends on what answers they get to the questions they have. Obviously they must have liked everything else they've seen of him, now they are feeling out the kind of guy he is. If he passes that test. He's a Chief, if not, we'll hear someone elses name called.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
This latest visit could be with a team of orthopedists, assuming the rumor's of a knee injury are true.

I can't believe a 330lb guy with a knee injury would be able to participate in all the Senior Bowl practices, game, combine and then a dozen individual workouts, but what do I know.

Hog Farmer
04-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Eh. Getting a pure nose is worth staying at 21 imo.

And the Colts at 22 are looking at him.

Easy 6
04-01-2011, 12:18 PM

My vote is No, Jenkins might not even make it out of the preseason & we'll be back to square one on the line.