PDA

View Full Version : Media George Soros’s Media Matters vows to “sabotage” FOX News

mikey23545
03-29-2011, 07:42 PM
The liberal group Media Matters has quietly transformed itself in preparation for what its founder, David Brock, described in an interview as an all-out campaign of “guerrilla warfare and sabotage” aimed at the Fox News Channel.

The group, launched as a more traditional media critic, has all but abandoned its monitoring of newspapers and other television networks and is narrowing its focus to Fox and a handful of conservative websites, which its leaders view as political organizations and the “nerve center” of the conservative movement. The shift reflects the centrality of the cable channel to the contemporary conservative movement, as well as the loathing it inspires among liberals — not least among the donors who fund Media Matters’ staff of about 90, who are arrayed in neat rows in a giant war room above Massachusetts Avenue.

“The strategy that we had had toward Fox was basically a strategy of containment,” said Brock, Media Matters’ chairman and founder and a former conservative journalist, adding that the group’s main aim had been to challenge the factual claims of the channel and to attempt to prevent them from reaching the mainstream media.

The new strategy, he said, is a “war on Fox.”

In an interview and a 2010 planning memo shared with POLITICO, Brock listed the fronts on which Media Matters — which he said is operating on a $10 million-plus annual budget — is working to chip away at Fox and its parent company, News Corp. They include its bread-and-butter distribution of embarrassing clips and attempts to rebut Fox points, as well as a series of under-the-radar tactics.

Media Matters, Brock said, is assembling opposition research files not only on Fox’s top executives but on a series of midlevel officials. It has hired an activist who has led a successful campaign to press advertisers to avoid Glenn Beck’s show. The group is assembling a legal team to help people who have clashed with Fox to file lawsuits for defamation, invasion of privacy or other causes. And it has hired two experienced reporters, Joe Strupp and Alexander Zaitchik, to dig into Fox’s operation to help assemble a book on the network, due out in 2012 from Vintage/Anchor. (In the interest of full disclosure, Media Matters last month also issued a report criticizing “Fox and Friends” co-host Steve Doocy’s criticism of this reporter’s blog.)

Brock said Media Matters also plans to run a broad campaign against Fox’s parent company, News Corp., an effort which most likely will involve opening a United Kingdom arm in London to attack the company’s interests there. The group hired an executive from MoveOn.org to work on developing campaigns among News Corp. shareholders and also is looking for ways to turn regulators in the U.S., U.K., and elsewhere against the network.

The group will “focus on [News Corp. CEO Rupert] Murdoch and trying to disrupt his commercial interests — whether that be here or looking at what’s going on in London right now,” Brock said, referring to News Corp.’s — apparently successful — move to take a majority stake in the satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51949.html

So Media Matters is a 501(c)?

mikey23545
03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Media Matters, the George Soros-backed legion of liberal agit-prop shock troops based in the nation's capital, has declared war on Fox News, and in the process quite possibly stepped across the line of legality.

David Brock, MM's founder, was quoted Saturday by Politico promising that his organization is mounting "guerrila warfare and sabotage" against Fox News, which he said "is not a news organization. It is the de facto leader of the GOP, and it is long past time that it is treated as such by the media, elected officials and the public.”

To that end, Brock told Politico that MM will “focus on [News Corp. CEO Rupert] Murdoch and trying to disrupt his commercial interests ..." Murdoch is the founder of Fox News and a media titan with newspaper, broadcast, Internet and other media countries around the world.

There is nothing in the Politico article to suggest that Brock, who was paid just under $300,000 in 2009, according to the group's most recently available tax return, plans to ask the IRS to change his organization's tax status as a 501(C)(3) tax-exempt educational foundation.

Being a C3 puts MM in the non-profit, non-commercial sector, and it also bars the organzation from participating in partisan political activity. This new, more aggressive stance, however, appears to run directly counter to the government's requirements for maintaining a C3 tax status.

Since Brock classifies Fox News as the "leader" of the Republican Party, by his own description he is involving his organization in a partisan battle. High-priced K Street lawyers can probably find a federal judge or a sympathetic IRS bureaucrat willing to either look the other way or accept some sort of MM rationale such as that it is merely providing educational information about a partisan group.

But in the IRS application for 501(C)(3) tax-exempt educational foundation status, Section VIII, Question I asks the applicant: "Do you support or oppose candidates in political campaigns in any way?" (Emphasis added).

Under Brock's definition of Fox News, it appears he is setting MM on a course of actively opposing all Republican candidates. Brandon Kiser at The Right Sphere blog argues that this new statement of MM's mission means it must change its tax status.

Beyond the partisanship issue, explicitly declaring that your purpose as a tax-exempt non-profit public foundation is to interfere with the commercial interests of somebody else's legal business enterprise falls nowhere within the scope of purely educational activities.

The official purpose of MM, according to its 2009 tax return, is to "notify activists, journalists, pundits and the general public about instances of misinformation, providing them with the resources to rebut false claims and take direct action against offending media institutions."

At another point much later in the same return, MM's purpose is more succinctly described as being "dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing and correcting conservative misinformation in the media."

Besides Brock, who is MM's CEO, Eric Burns, who is the organization's president, received just under $260,000 in compensation in 2009.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/media-matters-breaking-law-its-war-fox-news

Jenson71
03-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Good for them. I appreciate some of their stuff. I see no overwhelming reason for why they should get their tax-exempt status taken away. Should the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, mikey?

Donger
03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the French declared the same thing before Dien Bien Phu, too.

mlyonsd
03-29-2011, 08:11 PM
The problem Soros has is nobody gives a **** what he says outside of Hollywood.

It will be a good day for the world when his name comes up on the Grim Reaper's front page.

mikey23545
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Good for them. I appreciate some of their stuff. I see no overwhelming reason for why they should get their tax-exempt status taken away. Should the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, mikey?

The Chamber of Commerce? Really?

The Chamber supports candidates and politicians who are pro-business, not simply members of a certain party or ideology. Why should they lose their exemption? If anything, the fact that will usually be a conservative or a Republican should tell you all you need to know about the ongoing liberal war against American small business.

On the other hand, Media Matters has come out and self-proclaimed they are now going to focus all their energy on taking down what they perceive as a conservative organization - clearly admitting they are violating the terms of the 501(c) laws.

Until you are actually an adult you should stay the hell out of adult discussions , you little twerp.

Jenson71
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
The Chamber of Commerce? Really?

The Chamber supports candidates and politicians who are pro-business, not simply members of a certain party or ideology. Why should they lose their exemption? If anything, the fact that will usually be a conservative or a Republican should tell you all you need to know about the ongoing liberal war against American small business.

On the other hand, Media Matters has come out and self-proclaimed they are now going to focus all their energy on taking down what they perceive as a conservative organization - clearly admitting they are violating the terms of the 501(c) laws.

Until you are actually an adult you should stay the hell out of adult discussions , you little twerp.

The Chamber of Commerce actively supports conservatives and actively opposes fiscal liberals.

Media Matters actively opposes a for-profit conservative media corporation.

Neither are violating 501c law, you fucking blind moron.

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
FOX "News"....they have already sabotaged themselves. By refusing to employ any reasonable attempt at objectivity, they have made themselves the "MSNBC" of the right, and very deserving of any derision and disrespect (and ignoring by reasonable folks) that may follow.

End of story. Too bad; cause they could have played a reasonable role. They chose otherwise, though.

For once, the Canadian Idiots have it "right," ban stupid lying shit and propaganda as strident as FOX "News"...yeah.

Jenson71
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM

I love how you think you're so sophisticated, by the way. What do you do for a living?

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2011, 10:51 PM

It will be a good day for the world when his name comes up on the Grim Reaper's front page.

Dittos...for Rudolph Murdoch. And, yeah, FTR Rush, Sean, and Glenn. Just sayin'. Heh.

Stupid, propagandizing reactionary bastards that they are/was. Good riddance. Yeah.

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2011, 11:06 PM

This.

That stupid fucker has caused enough harm to America getting Obama elected.

petegz28
03-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Dittos...for Rudolph Murdoch. And, yeah, FTR Rush, Sean, and Glenn. Just sayin'. Heh.

Stupid, propagandizing reactionary bastards that they are/was. Good riddance. Yeah.

If no one gives a shit about Rush Limbaugh then why do elected Democrats always talk about him?

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
If no one gives a shit about Rush Limbaugh then why do elected Democrats always talk about him?

23 million "Dittohead" idiots....get under the skin of weak-minded Dems who should throw fat-ass under the damn bus; I mean, seriously....the guy is laughing all the way to the bank, and yet some "smart" liberals still can't seem to let it friggin' 'go'....ya know?

It's like moths to a light....not anything more significant. Except in the eyes of tea-bagger types and dittoheads.

petegz28
03-29-2011, 11:22 PM
23 million "Dittohead" idiots....get under the skin of weak-minded Dems who should throw fat-ass under the damn bus; I mean, seriously....the guy is laughing all the way to the bank, and yet some "smart" liberals still can't seem to let it friggin' 'go'....ya know?

It's like moths to a light....not anything more significant. Except in the eyes of tea-bagger types and dittoheads.

So you are saying that the elected Democrats that constantly talk about him are weak-minded? Wow, we have a point of agreement!!! :p

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Mikey seems to find....swallowing L. Brent Bozell's man-sausage from M.R.C. more palatable, than M.M. folks.

FWIW, I think man-sausage is way, big-time, over-rated. On a personal level, anyway.

NTTAWWT. But man-sausage, is man-sausage. Regardless the "side." Just sayin'. It is what it is.... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
So you are saying that the elected Democrats that constantly talk about him are weak-minded? Wow, we have a point of agreement!!! :p

Yeah, pretty much.

Weak-minded vs. weak-minded....leaves most REAL Americans....well, "un-satisfied," to say the least.

Just sayin'. Heh. :hmmm:

Bwana
03-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah, best of luck with that, shitball.

orange
03-29-2011, 11:32 PM
I love how you think you're so sophisticated, by the way. What do you do for a living?

:Scanlon:

He's paid $10,000 per post by Rupert Murdoch to cover the ChiefsPlanet beat. I thought everyone knew that.

go bowe
03-29-2011, 11:38 PM

don't hold back, rob...

go bowe
03-29-2011, 11:41 PM
:Scanlon:

He's paid $10,000 per post by Rupert Murdoch to cover the ChiefsPlanet beat. I thought everyone knew that.hell, i'd do it for 5...

PunkinDrublic
03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Awwe media matters is picking on that pauper Rupert Murdoch.

mikey23545
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
The Chamber of Commerce actively supports <strike>conservatives and actively opposes fiscal liberals</strike> any politician who is pro-small business.

Media Matters actively opposes a for-profit conservative media corporation <i>based solely on its political orientation as per their own words</i>.

The Chamber is not violating 501c law.

FYP.

Iowanian
03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Dear George.

Give me my F'ing money from your Move-on theft of my services.

Asshole.

Sincerely
rippedoffowanian

Brock
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I doubt this will amount to anything.

mikey23545
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Mikey seems to find....swallowing L. Brent Bozell's man-sausage from M.R.C. more palatable, than M.M. folks.

FWIW, I think man-sausage is way, big-time, over-rated. On a personal level, anyway.

NTTAWWT. But man-sausage, is man-sausage. Regardless the "side." Just sayin'. It is what it is.... :hmmm:

You've already proven it takes nothing more than a few dollars to buy your political favor.

Go back to the trough and just bury your head in it.

The Mad Crapper
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/next-couple-of-years.jpg

Amnorix
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
:shrug: So rich liberals are trying to undermine a rich conservative and the media empire that he has refocused on furthering his conservative causes. Shocking.

I've no idea on the tax exempt issue. If it should be yanked, then so be it. I'm not much of a fan of the entire tax exempt thing anymore really. It gets abused more than baby seals in Greenland (or wherever it is that they are abused).

mikey23545
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM

How in the world do you know what I think of myself?

I've only commented on what I think of you, twerp.

Iowanian
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Kotter is cute when he pretends he wouldn't suck a peepee for a free box of dry erase markers.

Baby Lee
03-30-2011, 11:19 AM
FOX "News"....they have already sabotaged themselves. By refusing to employ any reasonable attempt at objectivity, they have made themselves the "MSNBC" of the right, and very deserving of any derision and disrespect (and ignoring by reasonable folks) that may follow.

End of story. Too bad; cause they could have played a reasonable role. They chose otherwise, though.

For once, the Canadian Idiots have it "right," ban stupid lying shit and propaganda as strident as FOX "News"...yeah.

Fuck the First Amendment.

Amnorix
03-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Fuck the First Amendment.

More to the point, SorosCo can use the First Amendment rights to sabotage Faux News, so long as what they say isn't defamatory or whatever.

ROYC75
03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Good luck Hollywood.

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 12:00 PM
**** the First Amendment.

Nah.

**** shit-for-brains type folks who hide behind the First Amendment, as a excuse to peddle hate, distortions, and outright lies as "journalism" in order to continue to brainwash sheeple who refuse to think for themselves.

Radar Chief
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Nah.

**** shit-for-brains type folks who hide behind the First Amendment, as a excuse to peddle hate, distortions, and outright lies as "journalism" in order to continue to brainwash sheeple who refuse to think for themselves.

Damn straight!/Reuters

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Damn straight!/Reuters

Aren't you missing Rush's third hour? Chop-chop. :p

Radar Chief
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Aren't you missing Rush's third hour? Chop-chop. :p

Shouldn't you be licking a Pakistani taxi drivers left hand for showing you his union card?

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Shouldn't you be licking a Pakistani taxi drivers left hand for showing you his union card?

Projecting your own manlove whore's crush on WallStreet swindlers? How quaint.

Your therapist should know about this... ;)

Iowanian
03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
You're a peenpuffer.

Radar Chief
03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Projecting your own manlove whore's crush on WallStreet swindlers? How quaint.

Your therapist should know about this... ;)

Says the guy talking about "swallowing L. Brent Bozell's man-sausage ".

ROYC75
03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Man, Liberals are a little butt hurt now since Obo is not what they wanted.

Rausch
03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
The conservatives/reps dominate the radio waves. Why can't the libs/Dems be happy with a monopoly on the TV/TV News markets?

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 12:53 PM
You're a peenpuffer.

Coming from Queen Peen himself...heh.

Maybe platform shoes will be in style again someday, Napolean.

Iowanian
03-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Maybe as an educator, you'll stop ogling the breasts of under-aged students someday, micropeen.

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Maybe as an educator, you'll stop ogling the breasts of under-aged students someday, micropeen.

Maybe as a roofer, you'll stop ogling with envy the scrotum of undocumented resident employees someday, maxidouche.

Gosh...are we havin' fun, yet?

Iowanian
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
You envy Hel'n's scrotum mass.

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
You envy Hel'n's scrotum mass.

Nice. Heh.

LMAO

Mr. Kotter
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Hell....we need to start a thread with this.... :hmmm:

Baby Lee
03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Nah.

Yeah, when I see a Kotter post, I generally think 'at last, original thoughts.'

Take a look back, and find the time when the sum total of your input here has consisted of anything outside of 'hey, those guys are a bunch of dummies, amirite?!?!'

Something, anything.

orange
03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Being a C3 puts MM in the non-profit, non-commercial sector, and it also bars the organzation from participating in partisan political activity. This new, more aggressive stance, however, appears to run directly counter to the government's requirements for maintaining a C3 tax status.

Since Brock classifies Fox News as the "leader" of the Republican Party, by his own description he is involving his organization in a partisan battle. High-priced K Street lawyers can probably find a federal judge or a sympathetic IRS bureaucrat willing to either look the other way or accept some sort of MM rationale such as that it is merely providing educational information about a partisan group.

But in the IRS application for 501(C)(3) tax-exempt educational foundation status, Section VIII, Question I asks the applicant: "Do you support or oppose candidates in political campaigns in any way?" (Emphasis added).

As I think about it, THIS could be terrific! I live for the day when Fox News goes into court and under oath admits they are a branch of the Republican Party! Bring on those lawsuits, wingers, bring 'em on!

Chief Henry
03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Nah.

**** shit-for-brains type folks who hide behind the First Amendment, as a excuse to peddle hate and outright lies as union members in order to continue to brainwash sheeple who refuse to think for themselves.

fyp

Jenson71
03-30-2011, 03:30 PM
How in the world do you know what I think of myself?

I've only commented on what I think of you, twerp.

Inferences.

Jenson71
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
FYP.

You're trying to rest your argument on a distinction between "conservatives and fiscal liberals" and "politician who is pro-small business" and it's not going to amount to anything here.

The Chamber of Commerce can support fiscal conservatives. They can oppose fiscal liberals. They do. They are within the bounds. But you haven't presented any good argument as to why Media Matters is outside of similar boundaries.

You've said: "On the other hand, Media Matters has come out and self-proclaimed they are now going to focus all their energy on taking down what they perceive as a conservative organization - clearly admitting they are violating the terms of the 501(c) laws."

How does this violate the terms of the 501(c) laws? You haven't answered it. Neither have your posts.