PDA

View Full Version : Obama Bill Kristol says "Obama has came along way"

Chocolate Hog
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/29/134949257/weekly-standard-obama-has-come-a-long-way

I knew pretty early on during Monday's speech that President Obama had rejoined — or joined — the historical American foreign policy mainstream. It was when he mentioned Charlotte (the city, not the spider):

At this point, the United States and the world faced a choice. Gaddafi declared that he would show "no mercy" to his own people. He compared them to rats, and threatened to go door to door to inflict punishment. In the past, we had seen him hang civilians in the streets, and kill over a thousand people in a single day. Now, we saw regime forces on the outskirts of the city. We knew that if we waited one more day, Benghazi — a city nearly the size of Charlotte — could suffer a massacre that would have reverberated across the region and stained the conscience of the world.

When American presidents want to justify foreign interventions, and are worried the American people aren't quite with them, they often reach for a strained analogy or comparison that will bring the situation abroad home to their fellow Americans watching on the tube. Obama's awkward interjection explaining that Benghazi is "a city nearly the size of Charlotte" is a classic of the genre. As Obama said it, I recalled Reagan explaining Nicaragua was as near to Texas as Texas to Washington, D.C., or some such thing, and similar clunky and earnest attempts at homespun appeals by George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. I found this reassuring.

As I found the rest of the speech. The president was unapologetic, freedom-agenda-embracing, and didn't shrink from defending the use of force or from appealing to American values and interests. Furthermore, the president seems to understand we have to win in Libya. I think we will.

ROFL Neo-conned

BucEyedPea
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Bill Kristol Declares Obama a Born-Again-NeoCon ( http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/30/bill-kristol-declares-obama-a-born-again-neo-con-days-after-consulting-with-him-on-libya-policy/)

....after consulting with Kristol on Libya and his Libya speech.

Taco John
03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
This cracks me up.

donkhater
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I keep telling my democrat friends who hated that 'conservative' Bush that Bush was no conservative and Obama will be Bush on steroids. They scoffed at me the first time I told them but I can see the truth is beginning to dawn on them.

Saul Good
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Bill Kristol needs to work on his grammar lest he sound like a complete idiot.

BucEyedPea
03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
I keep telling my democrat friends who hated that 'conservative' Bush that Bush was no conservative and Obama will be Bush on steroids. They scoffed at me the first time I told them but I can see the truth is beginning to dawn on them.

I told this board's conservartives, or those who think they're conservatives, that Bush's FP was Progressive. They scoffed at me. I don't even know if they still see it this way either.

donkhater
03-31-2011, 08:54 AM
I told this board's conservartives, or those who think they're conservatives, that Bush's FP was Progressive. They scoffed at me. I don't even know if they still see it this way either.

The two are eerily similar.

Bush's unconstitutional war in Iraq--Obama's escalation in Afghanistan and Libya

Prescription drug benefits--Obamacare

Katrina incompetence---Gulf shore oil spill debacle

Patriot act and Gitmo both undisturbed by our Nobel laureate

Extension of Bush's tax cuts

Continuation of housing bubble inflation.

About the only real difference in their two administrations is their Supreme court appointments. But other than that......

BucEyedPea
03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
"That’s what Bret Stephens crows in the Wall Street Journal. He does distill the definition of neocon to its essence: someone who wants the US government to invade Muslim countries and imprison them in the empire. (Thanks to Chip Wood)" (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/84250.html)

WSJ: Regime change is the only viable solution in Libya (http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748703858404576214841022727606-lMyQjAxMTAxMDMwMDEzNDAyWj.html)