PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 3, Heat 2

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Y'know, I hope other people think this is a great heat, because I think it stinks. So go ahead and vote or whatever.

Pick Four Songs (if you can find four good ones).

Bump
03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Kid Rock would win

Bugeater
03-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I think it stinks too, Gimme Shelter is the only song worthy of advancing.

patteeu
03-30-2011, 05:24 PM
#1 Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter
#2 Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
#3 AC/DC - Hell's Bells
#4 Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion

Bump
03-30-2011, 05:24 PM

no, I'm just saying that Kid Rock would win this contest, here. Regardless of who the other choices are.

patteeu
03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
I think it's a strong heat. Several songs I hope bite the dust in it though.

AustinChief
03-30-2011, 05:25 PM

WTF???? WHAT ABOUT THE WHO? They pretty much DEFINE Rock n Roll!

Won't get Fooled Again
Gimme Shelter

hmmm I guess Kashmir and Sweet Emotion... and the rest are meh.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
My Rankings. I could almost vote suckage after the Nirvana song or maybe - maybe - The Who, but I'll at least try to get the least objectionable songs to advance.

Least Bad Top Four, in order

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
Wont Get Fooled Again, the Who
Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sweet Emotion, Aerosmith

Least Bad of the Rest, in order

Gimme Shelter, Rolling Stones
Kashmir, Led Zeppelin
Welcome to the Jungle, Guns N Roses
Hell's Bells, AC/DC
Thunderstruck, AC/DC

patteeu
03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
no, I'm just saying that Kid Rock would win this contest, here. Regardless of who the other choices are.

Of course he would. That's why he was banned from the competition in the original nomination thread. It wouldn't be a very interesting competition if everyone was voting for Kid Rock and only Kid Rock now would it?

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
I like that Kid Rock song where he sings about listening to Sweet Home Alabama, but I only like the part where he plays Sweet Home Alabama.

seclark
03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
thunderstruck
sweet emotion
simple man
won't get fooled again
sec

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Im sick of these songs.

My write-in vote is 46 and 2 by Tool.

Chiefburger
03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
1)Sweet Emotion
2)Gimme Shelter
3)Won't Get Fooled Again
4)Kashmir

Psyko Tek
03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I am having trouble with what is considered rock and roll

if you can't dance, speed, fight or fuck to it
it ain't ROCK AND ROLL

if you set around stoned saying that's really deep man it's not

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 06:11 PM
How is Smells Like Teen Spirit not winning this?

http://music-facts.ru/pictures/songs/Nirvana/teen-spirit-deodorant.jpg

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 06:12 PM

I have no idea. And I'm not just saying that because I'm afraid to fight you again.

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 06:13 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R3XIGon2RjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AustinChief
03-30-2011, 06:14 PM

No one wants to vote for a guy who blatantly LIED to everyone... he DID have a gun!

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
No one wants to vote for a guy who blatantly LIED to everyone... he DID have a gun!

You have a point, but you're not voting for the guy. You're voting for the SONG THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING.

AustinChief
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
You have a point, but you're not voting for the guy. You're voting for the SONG THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING.

Settle down Chico.. Smells Like Teen Spirit definitely had a big influence in its day... but let's not lose perspective. Good Vibrations ACTUALLY changed everything. THAT song changed the entire way that songs were recorded and engineered.

Gadzooks
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Yeah, it paved the way for Bush.
No offense Mr. Kobain, but, Smells Like Teen Spirit is a four chord bullshit song that any 7th grade garage band could come up with on their first try.

As for my picks, I fucked up. I was too used to voting for three so I picked:
Wont Get Fooled Again
Gimmie Shelter
Hell's Bells

The fourth would have gone to Welcome to the Jungle but, alas, I was trigger happy and missed my chance.

Free Bird for the overall win!!!

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah, it paved the way for Bush.

I didn't say it paved the way for anything. I said it changed everything. It fucked shit up. Shit's never been the same due to the impact of that amazing song. It was so great it's the 'newest' song that is even in contention for this title in my mind. It's the last great thing because it was so fucking awesome.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM
With 57 votes in, 6 of the 9 songs have between 22 and 24 votes. I predict a photo finish.

Gadzooks
03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I didn't say it paved the way for anything. I said it changed everything. It ****ed shit up. Shit's never been the same due to the impact of that amazing song. It was so great it's the 'newest' song that is even in contention for this title in my mind. It's the last great thing because it was so ****ing awesome.

IMO, your opinion is a generational anomaly. Nirvana and their impact probably set modern music back about 1200 years. It ****ed shit up for the worse. People became more concerned about which type of flannel they were wearing instead of the musical artistry they were putting out for the masses.
It was a pig **** that was caused by a media promotion team that also brought us the genius artistry of Alanis Morrisette, (nobody seemed to mention she was a complete hypocrite as an artist due to her past teeny bopper days). Kids of your generation ate this shit up and the Rock and Roll world has taken a massive hit because of it.
Look at the top 10 songs over the past decade and tell me what percentage of those songs are related to Rock now.
Put simply, Nirvana ruined Rock.

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
IMO, your opinion is a generational anomaly. Nirvana and their impact probably set modern music back about 1200 years. It ****ed shit up for the worse. People became more concerned about which type of flannel they were wearing instead of the musical artistry they were putting out for the masses.
It was a pig **** that was caused by a media promotion team that also brought us the genius artistry of Alanis Morrisette, (nobody seemed to mention she was a complete hypocrite as an artist due to her past teeny bopper days). Kids of your generation ate this shit up and the Rock and Roll world has taken a massive hit because of it.
Look at the top 10 songs over the past decade and tell me what percentage of those songs are related to Rock now.
Put simply, Nirvana ruined Rock.

You missed my point, obviously. Fuck yeah it fucked shit up for the worse. It pimp slapped rock n roll across the face and nothing could ever get back to where it once was. Smells Like Teen Spirit and Kurt Cobain are Rock's last stand.

They blew that shit up. Yeah sure, we'll say for the worse.

But they still blew shit up. Awesome song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cpMTOqKOcMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gadzooks
03-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Oddly enough, I see your point.
The song still sucks.

DaFace
03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow...this one's incredibly close.

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Oddly enough, I see your point.
The song still sucks.

No it doesn't.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2011, 07:29 PM
I could see my choices getting skunked for the first time.

#1 - Gimme Shelter
#2 - We Won't Get Fooled Again
#3 - Kashmir
#4 - Thunderstruck

Phobia
03-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Aersosmith
Zep
Skynard
Who

Bwana
03-30-2011, 07:56 PM

:facepalm:

AustinChief
03-30-2011, 07:58 PM
How did this song not get nominated ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TPdHMWVJoS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
We need Nirvana love.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
We've had at least four different songs in the lead at some point. With 80 votes cast so far, the 7th place song is 3 votes from being in first. That's kind of amazing.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
And the freight train goes pulling by Nirvana...

Keep it coming, night crew!

Phobia
03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Since we're voting 4 does that mean 4 advance?

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
This is just sick. Night crew, you know you love Nirvana. Fuck the haters.

Chiefburger
03-30-2011, 08:41 PM
i expect the fiercely loyal AC/DC populace, which typically arrives late, to make this a nine-way tie before it's all said and done.

RJ
03-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Aerosmith, Stones, Nirvana.

Slainte
03-30-2011, 09:05 PM
The Who, Rolling Stones, Nirvana

Rasputin
03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cO8ci9Z0iK8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cO8ci9Z0iK8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Nirvana did not kill RnR. It lives

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Since we're voting 4 does that mean 4 advance?

Yeppers.

However, right now I've got a team of people trying to figure what to do if we have a seven-way tie.

Is one of you mods screwing with my poll (not in that way), or is this really that tight a race?

Rasputin
03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't know any thing about rock n roll now... we are all wrong.

this is what rock and roll looks like now a days.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9LCHgpzfxQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9LCHgpzfxQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I have no shame.

Frazod
03-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I voted for everything except Nirvana.

Hopefully it'll finally get shotgun-blasted out of the poll.

Omaha
03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Nirvana, Stones, GnR

DJ's left nut
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Gimme Shelter and Won't Get Fooled Again (best protest rock song and a legitimate rock anthem) are going to lose to a bunch of screeching emo kids?

Let's face it - Cobain was just a goth emo shithead before being goth or emo required you to wear makeup.

C'mon folks, do the right thing here.

L.A. Chieffan
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
kashmir destroys all those songs

rambleonthruthefog
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
this whole thread/poll might be should be completely voided after the results of this heat.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2011, 10:04 AM
A mullato, an albino, a mosquito my libido
yay

People think that is brilliant, yet they make fun of Rebbecca Black?

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
This is going to be down to the wire.

The Franchise
03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Fuck Aerosmith. One of the most overrated bands in the history of Rock and Roll.

DJ's left nut
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
yay

HAHAHA!

This is an excellent point, sir.

Seriously - Nirvana sucks hard.

Frazod
03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
HAHAHA!

This is an excellent point, sir.

Seriously - Nirvana sucks hard.

It's rare we agree on anything music-related, but THIS!

shirtsleeve
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
This thread is way too strongly grouped. There are 6 songs here that I would prefer over my third choice in round 1.

Very unbalanced

KurtCobain
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
yay

It's brilliant because it's fucking killer dude. You wouldn't understand. You're probably lame.

Plus it's great in the essence of how stupid the song is and how big it became. It's the anthem for being badass, nuff said.

KurtCobain
03-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Gimme Shelter and Won't Get Fooled Again (best protest rock song and a legitimate rock anthem) are going to lose to a bunch of screeching emo kids?

Let's face it - Cobain was just a goth emo shithead before being goth or emo required you to wear makeup.

C'mon folks, do the right thing here.

Yeah they should lose to a bunch of creaming emo kids. Those songs fucking suck, and Smells Like Teen Spirit you can rock to. You can even roll if you got the good shit.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
It's brilliant because it's ****ing killer dude. You wouldn't understand. You're probably lame.

Plus it's great in the essence of how stupid the song is and how big it became. It's the anthem for being badass, nuff said.

So badass it makes you want to suck off the end of a shotgun.

KurtCobain
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Kurt really despised the mainstream. That's what "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was all about: The mass mentality of conformity.

I really can't believe you fucking people.

AustinChief
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Jesus you people have really bad taste in music. I'm convinced that all these crap votes are coming from Raiders and Broncos fans...

Phobia
03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm just glad AC/DC didn't advance. I grew up on the stuff. It was a staple in my car. But it doesn't belong with the greatest hits. It's more like a guilty pleasure.

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm just glad AC/DC didn't advance. I grew up on the stuff. It was a staple in my car. But it doesn't belong with the greatest hits. It's more like a guilty pleasure.

Don't draw conclusions too quickly. There's still three more hours in the poll, and this is about the time of day that AC/DC fans start regaining consciousness.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Kurt really despised the mainstream. That's what "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was all about: The mass mentality of conformity.

I really can't believe you ****ing people.

Yeah, he would never do mainstream things like MTV Unplugged.

Frazod
03-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah they should lose to a bunch of creaming emo kids. Those songs fucking suck, and Smells Like Teen Spirit you can rock to. You can even roll if you got the good shit.

Is that the one that sounds like someone screaming NANANANA over and over for about 15 minutes?

KurtCobain
03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah, he would never do mainstream things like MTV Unplugged.

He was pretty out of it by then. That wasn't Kurt Cobain towards the end, it was a man desperate for something.

Nirvana58
03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
He was pretty out of it by then. That wasn't Kurt Cobain towards the end, it was a man desperate for something.

How can you talk shit on his MTV unplugged appearance. His remake of where did you sleep last night was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. He displayed in full force how great of an artist and singer he really was.

Omaha
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
How can you talk shit on his MTV unplugged appearance. His remake of where did you sleep last night was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. He displayed in full force how great of an artist and singer he really was.

Also, I believe the entire performance was done in one take. Many of the Unplugged shows had several takes of each song which must have sucked for the audience.

KurtCobain
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
How can you talk shit on his MTV unplugged appearance. His remake of where did you sleep last night was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. He displayed in full force that how great of an artist and singer he really was.

It's about fucking time you showed up. These polls have been going for weeks. They already fucked up Heart Shaped Box because the lyrics confused Rainman. I kicked his as in front of walmart.

I didn't talk shit on his unplugged apearance. It was great. Even he called it the greatest thing he ever did. But there, that line right there? Not Kurt Cobain. That wasn't what punk was about, what he did. His sober self would've be appalled.

Me personally, fuck yeah it was great. The Man Who Sold The World he effing nailed it.

Should've nominated all those songs.

However I'm so tired of hearing the lake of fire song.

Nirvana58
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Also, I believe the entire performance was done in one take. Many of the Unplugged shows had several takes of each song which

True Story... I have the unedited video of their performance. Nirvana did the whole set in one take.

Nirvana58
03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
It's about ****ing time you showed up. These polls have been going for weeks. They already ****ed up Heart Shaped Box because the lyrics confused Rainman. I kicked his as in front of walmart.

I didn't talk shit on his unplugged apearance. It was great. Even he called it the greatest thing he ever did. But there, that line right there? Not Kurt Cobain. That wasn't what punk was about, what he did. His sober self would've be appalled.

Me personally, **** yeah it was great. The Man Who Sold The World he effing nailed it.

Should've nominated all those songs.

However I'm so tired of hearing the lake of fire song.

Yeah I saw that... I couldn't believe it didn't get more votes. I wish someone would of posted the music video for that thread. It was a rare insight into the depths of Kurt Cobains mind. I am still pissed that Lithium/About a Girl/You Know Your Right/ or In Bloom didn't even get nominated.

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
It's about ****ing time you showed up. These polls have been going for weeks. They already ****ed up Heart Shaped Box because the lyrics confused Rainman. I kicked his as in front of walmart.

I won that fight and you know it. The woman in the hair curlers and tube top was the only one who thought you won and everyone else thought I won.

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Okay, shutting down the most hard-fought heat in Rock N Poll history. Moving on are the bruised and battered:

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Sweet Emotion
Kashmir
Welcome to the Jungle

patteeu
03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Okay, shutting down the most hard-fought heat in Rock N Poll history. Moving on are the bruised and battered:

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Sweet Emotion
Kashmir
Welcome to the Jungle

Isn't Gimme Shelter tied with Sweet Emotion at 55?

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Isn't Gimme Shelter tied with Sweet Emotion at 55?

What the - did you just do that?

patteeu
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
What the - did you just do that?

LOL, nope.

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 04:40 PM
LOL, nope.

Dang. I didn't want a tie.

Okay, Gimme Shelter is in, too.

That likely means I'll be taking the top non-placing song to even things out. So right now it looks good for the sixth-place finisher in this heat.