PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett Article

Coogs
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

Found this article over at NFLDraftCountdown. It is a very long read, but quite possibly may be the best article on a draft prospect that I have ever read. The article comes with complete analysis of his play that includes video breakdown, and a rather lenghty insight into his character issues.

Very much worth your time to read.

DJ's left nut
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Holy crap, you're not kidding.

Ultimately, it's too damn log for me to really pick at it, but I read the lede's of every heading and continued if I thought it was interesting (the pressure section was especially instructive).

I'll read on if it turns out that we draft him...

talastan
04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Holy crap, you're not kidding.

Ultimately, it's too damn log for me to really pick at it, but I read the lede's of every heading and continued if I thought it was interesting (the pressure section was especially instructive).

I'll read on if it turns out that we draft him...

No need to then....We won't be picking a first round QB, and he won't last long in the second.

Coogs
04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Here is their write up on Christian Ponder...

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_the_christian_pond.html

And on Colin Kaepernick...

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds.html

Wish we had sports writers like this around Kansas City.

Coogs
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
No need to then....We won't be picking a first round QB, and he won't last long in the second.

Myabe we should be. Sounds like he is everything we wish Cassel wasn't. Very good read.

Barret
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Here is a portion of the blog I thought interesting.

Where he gets into trouble is when he anticipates pressure from a certain direction and begins to execute a plan to deal with it, but then is surprised by a bad development in another area of the blocking.

Let's say the Chiefs were to get Mallett. Even though he might be a great passer and things look good, with the above information and how the Oline has been pass blocking, could this actually be a bad pick?

Chiefnj2
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't care what the article says, Mallett is a sitting duck in the NFL. He's the most un-athletic QB ever.

From watching some of his games, despite the articles breakdown, the kid doesn't seem that good under pressure.

Mr. Laz
04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
i'm not sure a guy can learn to "feel" pressure ... could always be a problem for him.

Mr. Laz
04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Myabe we should be. Sounds like he is everything we wish Cassel wasn't. Very good read.
coog latching on to another draft QB

Coogs
04-01-2011, 02:06 PM
coog latching on to another draft QB

Possible. I'm starting to get more intrigued with the idea by the day. Don't expect it to happen, but the idea of the Packers drafting Aaron Rogers in the 20's... with many other needs... and already having Bret Favre at the time has turned out to be a pretty wise decision, and one that I would be in favor of doing as well.

Coogs
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
i'm not sure a guy can learn to "feel" pressure ... could always be a problem for him.

Are you talking about Cassel? If so, I agree. From what the article says, Mallett does not have that problem. He already senses the pressure.

Reaper16
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
How much did Mallet's agent slip the author?

Demonpenz
04-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Mallett drops the hammer!

Mr. Laz
04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Are you talking about Cassel? If so, I agree. From what the article says, Mallett does not have that problem. He already senses the pressure.
yea, i'm talking cassel in a Mallet draft thread.

don't be one of those guys

Coogs
04-01-2011, 03:53 PM
yea, i'm talking cassel in a Mallet draft thread.

don't be one of those guys

I guess I was just confused. I take it you did not read the article. There was a whole section dealing on how Mallett has the ability to "feel" the pressure.

Coogs
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
How much did Mallet's agent slip the author?

Just read the article. It's not what you think.

Reaper16
04-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I guess I was just confused. I take it you did not read the article. There was a whole section dealing on how Mallett has the ability to "feel" the pressure.
That whole section does not jive with the games that I watched Mallett play.

Coogs
04-02-2011, 08:21 AM
That whole section does not jive with the games that I watched Mallett play.

Let's try this again...

A couple of writers for the Miami Sun are doing a piece each week on potential draft picks for the Dolphins. They have done several, and have a few more to do each week before the draft. They are well written pieces that contain research based information to back up their claims... both pro and con. It does not at all appear to be fluff pieces that are influenced by agents.

They have done 3 QB's, Ponder and Kaepernick being the first 2. I plan on reading both of those when I have time. Especially since we have those two on our list to visit, and Meat Dragon promoting Ponder.

I was not hugely in favor of Mallett, but after reading this piece, I kind of hope he is still there at #21, just so the Arrowhead gang at lest has to give it a passing thought at the very least on draft day.

BTW, the first half of the article deals with Mallett's character issues. The last half of the article deals with Mallett the football player. Both parts have been researched very well.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I guess I was just confused. I take it you did not read the article. There was a whole section dealing on how Mallett has the ability to "feel" the pressure.and yet i've seem him turn stupid under pressure.

Mallet looks a little Rex Grossman-ish

but hey ... who knows what will happen to Mallet once he reaches the NFL.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Let's try this again...

What you are not getting is that people on this board who watched Mallet this year, disagree with the findings of the writers from the paper.

Mallett has a great arm. If he is standing clean he can deliver the ball really, really well. But, IMO, if you can make him move his feet at all, then you win. His accuracy & decision making plummets.

The drug rumors have plagued the kid for a while. It's not something new. Similar to the rumors last year that Clausen was a d-bag and not a good leader.

You also have to ask yourself why he was never voted to be team captain.

Coogs
04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
What you are not getting is that people on this board who watched Mallet this year, disagree with the findings of the writers from the paper.

I get it. I also get all QB's have some warts. I'm not totally on the Mallett bandwagon. Only saw him play a couple of times. Made some unbelievable passes, and a few head scratchers. But I like the part about his comparitive stats to Manning's and Brady's... and don't start saying I am comparing Mallett to Brady or Manning... in certain areas. Pretty interesting stuff. Total opposite of Cassel as well.

There are a couple of other QB's that I could be interested at at #21. I fear that if we don't bring in a potential franchise QB at some point in time... and I mean a first round talent... that we are going to have a hell of a team in place again, and not have the most important piece, a QB. Much like the Vikings just went through. Not the way to do it in my books.

I'm also interested in Ponder and Locker. Particularly Locker.

Stay tuned.

BigCatDaddy
04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Casserly sounded somewhat high on him last night. He said a lot of the QB's at the combine kind of gravitated to Mallet and what the guys in the locker room think it what matters.

SNR
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I get it. I also get all QB's have some warts. I'm not totally on the Mallett bandwagon. Only saw him play a couple of times. Made some unbelievable passes, and a few head scratchers. But I like the part about his comparitive stats to Manning's and Brady's... and don't start saying I am comparing Mallett to Brady or Manning... in certain areas. Pretty interesting stuff. Total opposite of Cassel as well.

There are a couple of other QB's that I could be interested at at #21. I fear that if we don't bring in a potential franchise QB at some point in time... and I mean a first round talent... that we are going to have a hell of a team in place again, and not have the most important piece, a QB. Much like the Vikings just went through. Not the way to do it in my books.

I'm also interested in Ponder and Locker. Particularly Locker.

Stay tuned.I've seen a lot of mocks that have Jake Locker going in the top 10-15 picks. Which is what I accurately predicted in the CP mock draft, btw.

Saul Good
04-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Mallett has a great arm. If he is standing clean he can deliver the ball really, really well. But, IMO, if you can make him move his feet at all, then you win. His accuracy & decision making plummets.

The drug rumors have plagued the kid for a while. It's not something new. Similar to the rumors last year that Clausen was a d-bag and not a good leader.

You also have to ask yourself why he was never voted to be team captain.

If you're trying to prove to everyone that you didn't read the article, you've done a magnificent job.

Coogs
04-03-2011, 08:14 PM
I've seen a lot of mocks that have Jake Locker going in the top 10-15 picks. Which is what I accurately predicted in the CP mock draft, btw.

Same here. I really hope some of these guys are still there at #21 so we have a decision to make at the very worst. Haley says he is all about competition, and Pioli says they have to think long term in the draft. I would like to think that QB has to be in the discussion when talking about positions that could potentially be upgraded.

MahiMike
04-04-2011, 07:35 AM
I think this guy will be the steal of the draft. Rocket arm, lead feet. He just has to avoid sacks. Imagine Peyton Manning being selected at bottom of 1st or early 2nd.

SNR
04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I think this guy will be the steal of the draft. Rocket arm, lead feet. He just has to avoid sacks. Imagine Peyton Manning being selected at bottom of 1st or early 2nd.Milkman will need to be placed on suicide watch in that case.

Chiefnj2
04-04-2011, 09:39 AM
If KC were to somehow end up with Mallett, don't complain when the team uses early draft picks to help build one of the best OLs to protect him. With a very good pocket, he could be a good QB. Without that pocket, he's Derek Anderson.

Bob Dole
04-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I think this guy will be the steal of the draft. Rocket arm, lead feet. He just has to avoid sacks. Imagine Peyton Manning being selected at bottom of 1st or early 2nd.

His footwork has improved dramatically the past 2 years. Not sure whether he's peaked in that area, but at least he's displayed an ability to learn and improve on something.

Coogs
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I saw a discussion on TV last week about Locker that was around the time of his pro-day. They were discussing some of his downfalls last season from being so highly rated as a QB the year before. They... and I can not remember who they were... said one of the biggest problems for Locker last season is that he was surrounded by a very young team around him on offense, including the WR position.

Locker is the guy I am leaning to if he is there in round 1. Not fully committed to the pick yet, but the guy is gaining on my wish list.

These two guys from Miami said they have one more QB entry to do before going to another position. I hope Locker is the choice for that last QB write-up.

MahiMike
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
His footwork has improved dramatically the past 2 years. Not sure whether he's peaked in that area, but at least he's displayed an ability to learn and improve on something.

What's funny is that the 40 yard dash is irrelevant to QB's. They need a 5 yard scramble drill. Measure how many moving dummies they can maneuver past in a period of 15 seconds inside a 5 yard circle. Ben Roethlisberger probably runs a 6.40 40 yard dash but the guy has eyes in the back of his head. It's like he's dancing out there.

Chiefnj2
04-04-2011, 01:47 PM
What's funny is that the 40 yard dash is irrelevant to QB's. They need a 5 yard scramble drill. Measure how many moving dummies they can maneuver past in a period of 15 seconds inside a 5 yard circle. Ben Roethlisberger probably runs a 6.40 40 yard dash but the guy has eyes in the back of his head. It's like he's dancing out there.

He's not athletic below the shoulders. Stephen Hawking has a higher vertical jump than Mallett.

Coogs
04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Their write up this week is on Dalton. And FWIW, they go into why the Dolphins should not select Dalton, for those of you who think these articles are fluff pieces that are influenced by the players agents. Next weeks article will have the rest of the QB's all lumped into one article... which should include Locker... I failed to mention that they had an article on Newton as well.

Again, I really wish the Star had a couple of writers like these two guys. Good info in these articles if you have the time to pour through them.

milkman
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Milkman will need to be placed on suicide watch in that case.

As much as I dislike Manning as a QB under pressure, I'd take him over any of the QBs we've had here since Dawson, including Trent Green and Joe Montana.

Peyton Manning behind the lines that our QBs had to play behind through the 90s and and the first half of the the last decade would not have faced the defensive pressure that he saw in Indy and might have actually accomplished something.

milkman
04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
If KC were to somehow end up with Mallett, don't complain when the team uses early draft picks to help build one of the best OLs to protect him. With a very good pocket, he could be a good QB. Without that pocket, he's Derek Anderson.

If all Mallet needed was a top flight O-Line in front protecting him to be among the elite QBs in the league, then I would be complaining if the team didn't use early draft picks to protect him.

NewChief
04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
I think this is a pretty good article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/index.html?eref=sihp

Michael RosenbergsNSIDE THE NFL
More ColumnsEmail Michael Rosenberg
Ryan Mallett a big risk, but his talent too much to pass up

Story Highlights

Ryan Mallett has an NFL arm, but off-field questions have dogged him
Mallett started at Michigan, then transferred to Arkansas and became a star
Mallett hasn't handled media scrunity well and needs to prove he can lead
Behind The Mic: Mallett could be next Rodgers
Source:SI

Phil Simms believes Ryan Mallet has great potential in the NFL with a passing game comparable to Aaron Rodgers.
Ryan Mallett is not just the most intriguing player in this year's NFL draft. In so many ways, he is the draft -- everything we love and hate about it. He is a tantalizing talent, a worrisome character, a walking rumor mill, a marvel on film, a statistical freak, a top-five talent who could easily slip to the second round, a guy you might love if you met him and one you might hate if you never do.

He was a great quarterback at Arkansas, but some people question whether his skills will translate to the next level. Everybody has an opinion on Mallett. He could be a franchise player for 15 years or flame out in three. This is why we watch the draft.

Rule No. 1 of the NFL Draft is that where there is smoke, there is probably a bong, and Mallett has been hit with drug and partying rumors since he left Arkansas. In every draft, it seems, somebody emerges as the Most Scrutinized Guy. Last year it was Dez Bryant. The year before, it was Michael Crabtree. This time it's Mallett.

And we're all asking the question: Would you want him?

There is no right answer -- yet. That is the beauty of the draft. If you say you love Mallett's talent and think he can win Super Bowls, you are correct. If you say he hasn't shown the maturity required to be an elite quarterback, you are also correct.

I have only dealt with Mallett a little bit, during his freshman year at Michigan in 2007, before he transferred to Arkansas. I had to laugh at recent stories downplaying Mallett's cockiness at Michigan. Of course he was cocky. Everybody around the program knew it. He was also immature, and he didn't seem to take criticism well, and he rubbed some of his older teammates the wrong way.

But on a scale of 1 to 10, his talent level was a 12. Michigan has had as much talent at quarterback as any other school in the country in the last 20 years. Mallett may have been the most physically talented quarterback in the school's history.

The one thing I can promise you about Mallett is that when he shows up to his first minicamp -- whenever the NFL is back in business for real -- people will drool.

And yet, SI's Peter King has five quarterbacks going in the first round of the draft -- and Mallett isn't in the group. I don't doubt Peter's prognostication skills. I'm sure that is an accurate reflection of how many NFL people view this draft. But there is no way there are five quarterbacks in this draft more talented than Ryan Mallett.

We have gotten to the point where people are inventing reasons not to like him. He isn't mobile enough. Oh, come on. How many 6-foot-7 pocket passers run a 4.5 40? If Mallett is so immobile, why didn't it show on the field? Cam Newton, who is an elite athlete, threw 280 passes last season and was sacked 23 times. Mallett threw 411 passes and was sacked 25 times.

Newton also left Florida after getting caught with a stolen laptop, and according to one report was caught cheating on his schoolwork. Yet he is the likely No. 1 overall pick, while Mallett gets far more scrutiny.

That strikes me as sort of crazy. But maybe it isn't. These things are hard to figure. You would be hard-pressed to find two players with more similar pre-draft profiles than Charles Rogers and Randy Moss. They were both tall receivers with freakish speed who were highly productive in college. They both faced rumors of off-field issues. Rogers went No. 2 overall and Moss fell to 21. And of course, Rogers turned out to be a complete bust because his off-field issues destroyed his career, while Moss put up Hall of Fame numbers.

It is easy to mock NFL executives for those decisions. But if you drank your way through college, as I did, ask yourself this: At age 21, could you really distinguish between your friends who were on their way to serious alcohol or drug problems, and the ones who simply partied too much because hey, that's what college students do?

I'm not the best reporter in the world, but it didn't take me long to discover that the social-whirl rumors about Mallett are widely believed in NFL circles. That doesn't mean they're entirely true. But when he gets drafted, I highly doubt you'll hear the drafting coach or GM say this was all a media creation and there is nothing there. They might say it's overblown. They'll probably say they aren't worried about it. But I doubt they will deny it completely.

The fans-and-media hot-button topic is whether the rumors are true. I think for NFL teams, there is a different question: How much should you worry? I bet there were teams that passed on Brett Favre in 1991 because they were worried about his drinking. We know now that a) they had good reason to be worried, and b) they should have taken him anyway.

If he were a receiver, he would be a lock first-rounder, and he might go in the top five, as Rogers and Braylon Edwards did. That position is mostly about production. Quarterbacks are different. There are expected to lead -- to be the first one in the building for film study and the last one out. It's hard to do that if you party too much.

Quarterbacks are also expected to take slings and arrows with a straight face when they lose, even if they lose because a receiver cuts off a route and the ball gets picked off. That's something else we don't know about Mallett. His college action came at Michigan, a media-wary sheltered program, and Arkansas, where he was the homegrown star. How will he handle the media scrutiny in the NFL?

Mallett's NFL fate will probably come down to two factors:

1. How much does his career mean to him?

I can't overstate the importance of this. If he really wants to be great -- if that matters to him more than being famous or rich or on Dancing With the Stars --then Mallett will be great. In the NFL, he will face 100 different forks in the road. Should he shoot a commercial on his off day or go watch more film? Should a coach's criticism hurt his feelings, or should he suck it up and learn from it? Should he take responsibility for a loss or point out that he played OK?

If the desire to be great dictates his choices, he will be a Pro Bowler. But that will be determined, at least in part, by ...

2. Who drafts him?

Love Mallett or hate him, we should be agree on this: He is not a finished product. He still has so much to learn about how to conduct himself in the NFL, when to stand up for himself, who to trust and who to avoid. It was disconcerting to see him sitting next to John Daly for his ESPN segment with Jon Gruden. Yeah, I know Daly is an Arkansas guy. But if you are an NFL prospect dogged by rumors about partying, how can you be seen in the same county as John Daly, let alone on national TV with him?

Mallett would benefit, even more than most players, from getting drafted by the right team. What if he gets drafted by the Patriots? They have the No. 17, 28 and 33 picks --all in the part of the draft where Mallett could go. They have coaxed production out of players with bad reps before -- they did it with Moss and Corey Dillon. Mallett would be able to learn from Tom Brady and Bill Belichick without the pressure of playing right away. (Besides, let's face it: If the Patriots draft him, most of us will say "Wow, what a steal," the way we did when they traded a fourth-rounder for a supposedly washed-up Moss. Some organizations just get the benefit of the doubt.)

The NFL is a quarterback's league, and Mallett is a potential All-Pro quarterback. It is also a risk-averse league, and Mallett is a risk. If I had a mid-to-late first-round pick, I'd worry about taking Mallett. But I'd worry more about passing on him.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Great read, NewChief. Thanks for posting.

Nightfyre
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
After reading this article, I hope he falls to 21 and we take him. Groom him for a year or two and build the o-line up and work on his pocket mobility.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I had to laugh at recent stories downplaying Mallett's cockiness at Michigan. Of course he was cocky. Everybody around the program knew it. He was also immature, and he didn't seem to take criticism well, and he rubbed some of his older teammates the wrong way.

But on a scale of 1 to 10, his talent level was a 12.
sounds like Ryan Leaf

Nightfyre
04-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I should clarify, I meant the article in the op, and I support the draft mallet course of action only behind the make a play for luck next year option.

dannybcaitlyn
04-27-2011, 01:46 PM
sounds like Ryan Leaf

Or Philip Rivers

the Talking Can
04-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Or Philip Rivers

or Tom Brady

Bewbies
04-27-2011, 03:47 PM
QB's should be cocky. Peyton Manning's "Aw shucks" attitude is not normal, and in my opinion, not real anyway.

I wish we all got to see into Mallett's head, then drafting/not drafting him becomes a lot easier to decide.

MahiMike
04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
To me he's this year's Colt McCoy. Not at all alike in talent. But in the end, after all the QBs drafted above him, he'll be one of the last one's still starting.