PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Ron Paul outraises all candidates again

Chocolate Hog
04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/52317.html

Ron Paul raked in roughly $3 million during the first quarter through his various political organizations, POLITICO has learned.

Though not all of that money can be transferred to a potential presidential campaign, the big haul demonstrates Paul’s continuing force as a grassroots-powered online fundraiser.

Continue Reading
Text Size
-+reset Listen
Latest on POLITICO
Heinrich launches N.M. Senate bid
Beck: Trump's making me 'uncomfortable'
This week in video
Playbook: GOP targets entitlements
Obama '12 launch likely next week
Nixon library revises Watergate scandal exhibit
POLITICO 44

The Texas congressman raised $1 million through his federal PAC and $2 million through Campaign for Liberty, a 501C(4) which cannot transfer funds directly to political organizations. Paul’s fundraising documents, to be filed later Thursday with the FEC, will also show he has $1.7 million on hand in his congressional campaign account.

“Dr. Paul's fundraising comes almost exclusively from individuals, not special interests,” LibertyPAC director Jesse Benton told POLITICO. “He received contributions from all 50 states, and his average gift this quarter was under $70, demonstrating his broad grassroots support.

“Dr. Paul's grassroots fundraising prowess is unmatched, and any 2012 political endeavor on which he embarks will have the financial backing it takes to win,” Benton added.

Much of Paul’s funds came via a Presidents' Day money bomb that netted $700,000 for his federal PAC. The money bomb was promoted through Paul’s Facebook page and libertarian websites promising his fans that “if we show him enough support, he will announce his official candidacy for 2012.”

More POLITICO 2012 LIVE

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/52317.html#ixzz1IOqzpWpv

NewChief
04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Print 'em!

Saul Good
04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Wolf!!! Everyone come running. There's a wolf!

chiefsnorth
04-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Didn't matter last time...

donkhater
04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I, and others, wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, he didn't get the GOP nomination, but I doubt even Paul thought he would. Instead, his candidacy ignited a dialogue in this country and within his own party that had profound impact in 2010 and beyond.

banyon
04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Is he going to tell us what he does with all the leftover money this time?

chiefsnorth
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I, and others, wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, he didn't get the GOP nomination, but I doubt even Paul thought he would. Instead, his candidacy ignited a dialogue in this country and within his own party that had profound impact in 2010 and beyond.

I think that with the Obama administration spending money at the speed of light and the dollar's presses running 24/7, the conversation would have happened anyway. I don't think Ron Paul 08 had any lasting effect other than to cut a sliver of voters away from the Republican party and put them in third party territory permanently. What endures from 08 is that moderates don't win and that the office of President does not lend itself to university liberals and/or rank amateur politicians.

SNR
04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Is he going to tell us what he does with all the leftover money this time?Booze, hookers, and sports cars. It was totally booze, hookers, and sports cars. What else would he spend it on?

chiefsnorth
04-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Booze, hookers, and sports cars. It was totally booze, hookers, and sports cars. What else would he spend it on?

How much money was left over?

What can you legally do with it?

Chocolate Hog
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Rand Paul, Glen Bradley, John Amesh, and all the other candidates who were were endorsed by him disagree. Dumbass.

SNR
04-03-2011, 05:51 PM

I just told you. Booze, hookers, and sports cars.

BucEyedPea
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I just told you. Booze, hookers, and sports cars.

He started his liberty group with the leftover money as I recall. BTW it's a lot of youth on campus who are enthusiastic about Paul right now.

orange
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Vice President Ventura?
April 04, 2011 9:29 AM

He’s been a Navy SEAL, pro-wrestler, author, governor of Minnesota and even appeared on a soap opera. So is running for Vice President the next thing on Jesse Ventura’s to-do list?

“I will tell you this. If Ron Paul runs as an Independent, I will give great consideration to being his running mate,” he told me on “GMA.”

Ventura dedicated his latest book, “63 Documents the Government Doesn’t Want You to Read,” to Rep. Ron Paul calling him “the only federal elected official who will stand up for America on the congressional floor.”

But the former governor said he would not join the ticket if Paul runs as a Republican.

“Never. I will not be a Democrat or a Republican. They are the problem, not the solution. We need to abolish political parties in this country,” Ventura said.

What about Rep. Michele Bachmann? She’s flirting with a bid, is from Ventura’s home state and even represents the district he lives in.

“And could she be president?” I asked.

“Not with my vote she won’t be,” he replied.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2011/04/vice-president-jesse-ventura-.html

orange
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I got that link from Drudge Report - which is actually a goldmine of interesting stories right now.

Where the hell are all the Drudge re-posters today?

Chocolate Hog
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Jesse Ventura is a ****ing weirdo.

banyon
04-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Paul has a novel idea for his campaign leftovers
Lawmaker might start for-profit publishing firm, testing bounds of finance rules
By PATRICK BRENDEL Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau
April 26, 2008, 7:55PM
http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/01/30/11010970/226xRefer.jpg
Ron Paul has $4 million in political cash leftover from his presidential bid.

WASHINGTON — Ron Paul failed to translate an impressive fundraising operation into widespread support for his 2008 bid for the presidency, but the Lake Jackson Republican still may end up hitting pay dirt.

To further Paul's Libertarian-leaning agenda, his campaign is exploring a novel way to use millions of dollars in leftover donations: setting up a for-profit publishing company that would focus on free-market economics and personal liberties — causes the Texas congressman holds dear.

Political finance experts say such a business venture funded with some $4 million in political cash would test the bounds of federal campaign finance regulations.

"I've never heard of anyone taking their campaign money and putting it into a for-profit corporation," said Fred Wertheimer, president of Democracy 21, an organization that advocates campaign finance reform.

FEC guidelines
A Federal Election Commission spokesman said that former office-seekers have some leeway in using leftover campaign money, as long as they don't benefit financially from the venture.

"There's a provision that says you can use the funds for any lawful purpose, so long as it's not personal use for the candidate," said FEC spokesman Bob Biersack.

But the election watchdog agency cannot enforce its own rules because a majority of its board seats are vacant, the result of a partisan stalemate on Capitol Hill.

A supply of donors
Political professionals say Paul's mailing list is a potential gold mine if he rents those names to interest groups or other campaigns.

Jesse Benton, a spokesman for Paul, said the campaign has the names of 160,000 donors who have given an average of about $100 each. Add the number of people who have signed up to receive campaign information, but have not donated money, and the e-mail list grows to 400,000.

On the market, the list of 160,000 donors would probably fetch about $135 per 1,000 names for each use, or about $21,600 a pop, estimated Kevin Shuvalov, a partner in Olsen & Shuvalov, an Austin firm that does fundraising and voter contact mailings, including for Rudy Giuliani's presidential campaign.

It may not sound like a lot, but Stephanie Catina, director of list services for Response World, a Richardson, Texas, list-services company said that good lists can be rented over and over.

Using the mailing list
For example, the list of American Heart Association donors has been passed around for years, she said. In the political arena, Bob Dole's 1996 presidential campaign list remains on the market.

Shuvalov expects Paul's list to get bigger and better.

"He's still a congressman, and there is a movement, because as you know, down here in Texas, the Ron Paul guys took over a lot of the (state) senatorial district conventions," he said. "So clearly, whatever this is — this movement, this revolution, whatever you want to call it — it's not over."

The Paul presidential campaign already has rented its list twice — once to his Texas congressional re-election committee, which raised $1.4 million, according to CQ Moneyline, a site that tracks FEC records; and once to incumbent Rep. Walter B. Jones, R-N.C., who serves with Paul on the Republican Liberty Caucus, a group of Libertarian-minded lawmakers.

Benton said the campaign is being careful with its list because of the level of trust Paul has with his donors.

"If it's going to be used by others," he said, "it's going to be used by the right people."

Presidential lists, such as Paul's, are attractive because they include donors from across the country. Because Paul has brought so many new participants into the presidential process, his list also would offer candidates a chance to expand their money network to nontraditional givers.

Additional options
Despite single-digit polling in the majority of primary states, Paul is sitting on about $4 million in campaign cash, Benton said.

The campaign is evaluating what to do with the extra money. Benton said options include supporting like-minded candidates through Paul's Liberty PAC; donating leftover money to Paul's FREE Foundation, the 501(c)3 organization that publishes his newsletter; trying to influence public policy through a 501(c)4 nonprofit group; or creating "something inventive and entrepreneurial" like a for-profit corporation to produce publications.

Federal guidelines stipulate that campaign funds can't be used for the candidate's personal use, specifically things such as vacations, mortgage, rent or household items. Funds also can't be used to seed a for-profit corporation that benefits an individual or shareholder.

However, that might not preclude Paul from creating a carefully structured for-profit corporation specifically designed for educational purposes.

And even if someone were to file a complaint against a candidate for misusing campaign funds, the FEC is hamstrung because it lacks sufficient members to take any action.

"It would just have to wait until we have four members," FEC spokesman Biersack said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5732113.html

SNR
04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5732113.html
That asshole! That's even WORSE than booze, hookers and sports cars