PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here see the Chiefs potentially.....

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
trading out of the first rd so as to acquire more picks "IF" they find no 1st rd value at the 21st pick:shrug: Remember, in Pioli's world character must equal 1st rd physical talent as well. The first rd 21st pick physical talent may be there but not 1st rd character or medical issues are not there.

Do you as a GM trade down to get more picks and value? Quite frankly I see it happening especially with DTs and DEs deep in talent this yr.

SNR
04-03-2011, 12:31 PM
In two drafts Pioli has yet to trade down. This goes for any round, not just the first.

I really wouldn't hold my breath. I doubt we do, considering there are plenty of options available to us with pick #21 that would be suitable. Even though none of them have seem to come forward yet as "our guy", that wasn't exactly the case in 2009, either.

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
In two drafts Pioli has yet to trade down. This goes for any round, not just the first.

I really wouldn't hold my breath. I doubt we do, considering there are plenty of options available to us with pick #21 that would be suitable. Even though none of them have seem to come forward yet as "our guy", that wasn't exactly the case in 2009, either.

Understood. But it is fairly difficult to trade out of the top five which we were in the last 2yrs because no team really wants to pay that kind of $$ unless there is a "surefire" player. You are correct that Pioli has yet to trade down in any rd in the last 2yrs and maybe because his player was there in each rd.

But I am waiting to see if he does the classic "Bellichek trade down" shuffle to acquire more picks" . And as you say I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice to acquire some picks in order to gain some future flexible leverage whether it be in trades or moving up and down in this or next yrs draft.

58kcfan89
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Understood. But it is fairly difficult to trade out of the top five which we were in the last 2yrs because no team really wants to pay that kind of $$ unless there is a "surefire" player. You are correct that Pioli has yet to trade down in any rd in the last 2yrs and maybe because his player was there in each rd.

But I am waiting to see if he does the classic "Bellichek trade down" shuffle to acquire more picks" . And as you say I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice to acquire some picks in order to gain some future flexible leverage whether it be in trades or moving up and down in this or next yrs draft.

I can see Pioli trading down, but I don't know that I want him trading down to the point that instead of actually picking anyone in the first 2 rounds, we end up with 25 picks in rounds 3-7, seeing as how that's what the Pats seem to like to do.

SNR
04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
There are several players (Akeem Ayers, Gabe Carimi, Phil Taylor, Leonard Hankerson, Brooks Reed to name a few) that we've probably got targeted on our draft board for pick #21. However, it's very likely that at least one of those guys is going to be available at least 10 picks later and going into the top of the 2nd round.

If we traded down, we could still grab one of those guys we want and pick up an extra 3rd at least. Especially if it's a team who wants a QB like Locker or Mallett or even Ponder and needs to go get him.

Tribal Warfare
04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
A player of value has to fall for a trade to happen, KC can't trade down for the sake of it.

Urc Burry
04-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe if we had lots of holes, but with the few holes we have we better go for BPA at a position of need. (Ayers, Taylor, or even Hankerson)

Okie_Apparition
04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Do you trade down in a draft that is weak because most bolted last year for the payday that wasn't suppose to be there this year.

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
There are several players (Akeem Ayers, Gabe Carimi, Phil Taylor, Leonard Hankerson, Brooks Reed to name a few) that we've probably got targeted on our draft board for pick #21. However, it's very likely that at least one of those guys is going to be available at least 10 picks later and going into the top of the 2nd round.

If we traded down, we could still grab one of those guys we want and pick up an extra 3rd at least. Especially if it's a team who wants a QB like Locker or Mallett or even Ponder and needs to go get him.

We're on the same page:thumb:

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
A player of value has to fall for a trade to happen, KC can't trade down for the sake of it.

And there will be several IMO. Those players very well could be Bowers and Newton.

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Maybe if we had lots of holes, but with the few holes we have we better go for BPA at a position of need. (Ayers, Taylor, or even Hankerson)

We have many holes with some bigger than others. WR,NT,OLB,RT,G/C those are alot of big holes right now.:thumb:

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Do you trade down in a draft that is weak because most bolted last year for the payday that wasn't suppose to be there this year.

All depends on how Pioli defines the strength/value of players remaining when it's his turn to pick.

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I can see Pioli trading down, but I don't know that I want him trading down to the point that instead of actually picking anyone in the first 2 rounds, we end up with 25 picks in rounds 3-7, seeing as how that's what the Pats seem to like to do.

That's an overstatement but I get your point. However, Bellichek seems to be pretty successful staying at the top of his game keeping the Pats young competitive year in and year out with the ability to do trades and move up and down in the draft to get his right 53 and not afraid to change the roster over several times regardless of how big a name he either cuts or chooses not to resign.:thumb:

Tribal Warfare
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
And there will be several IMO. Those players very well could be Bowers and Newton.

you can't depend on those variables, because other teams will be wheeling and dealing ahead of us also for said prospects.

doomy3
04-03-2011, 09:26 PM

lol no.

Newton isn't making it out of the top 5.

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 09:39 PM
lol no.

Newton isn't making it out of the top 5.

Rodgers and Quinn weren't supposed to fall very far either. Just sayin, especially after Newton's scathing review by PFW:shrug:

T-post Tom
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
They will trade UP and draft a prototypical 3-4 DE.

http://theevanstonian.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/fireworks1.jpg

Bewbies
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Rodgers and Quinn weren't supposed to fall very far either. Just sayin, especially after Newton's scathing review by PFW:shrug:

What number does PFW pick at?

Chiefshrink
04-04-2011, 08:19 AM
What number does PFW pick at?

:hmmm: Yes he is a helluva an athlete 'BUT' IMO Owners,GMs and coaches have become much more cautious since they have witnessed Cam's character as questionable i.e. laptop incident, Dad(Pastor?) pimping him to the highest college bidder and then his infamous(it's all about me) combine interview which supports what PFW reported by many scouts. Could this be just a "poker play" by some teams? IMO it would be a "poker play" if Cam's character were stellar like Eric Berry or Glenn Dorsey but it's not.

Now with that being said, preface Cam with the past debacle of "Pitbull Mike", "Lazy JaFatass","Drama Queen Vince" and now, "I am God, Cam".

Now with this PFW article, you think NFL management feels ultra comfortable with Newton and paying him a manure load of $$ and the potential of setting back the franchise 3-5yrs if Cam blows?

GMs are realizing high character both mentally and emotionally are just as important as talent especially at the QB pos.

Cam is Vince Young with a better arm.

At minimum he falls out of the top 10 IMO:thumb:

Dave Lane
04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Here's a comment I liked about Cam and pretty much says it all:

He was a one year wonder with more red flags than a communist military march. Since y’all get paid, apparently, to write about football go back and look at all the one year wonder quarterbacks chosen really high and then what has their success rate been? I don’t get paid in the football industry(maybe a good thing but I wouldn’t touch Cam with YOUR money. The best thing that can happen to him is to slide to the bottom of the first round and have a team that doens’t need an immediate quarterback(someone like the Pats, but they wouldn’t draft him) that can teach him…both on the field and off the field and try and surround him with the support group he needs (i.e. not a father that tries to pimp him).

Bewbies
04-04-2011, 09:24 AM
His Jr college team won the national title with him at QB as well.

My point was PFW can say whatever they want, they don't have a draft pick. The guy is a superstar on the field, he's not falling out of the top 10. He's also not the first guy to come along that stole something, or was paid in college....

Chris Meck
04-04-2011, 10:33 AM
He's gonna bust.

Brock
04-04-2011, 10:37 AM
LOL, he's a top 5 pick, dumbbells. Good grief, how stupid.

Chiefshrink
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
His Jr college team won the national title with him at QB as well.

My point was PFW can say whatever they want, they don't have a draft pick. The guy is a superstar on the field, he's not falling out of the top 10. He's also not the first guy to come along that stole something, or was paid in college....

I totally get your point but he will slide out of the top 10 IMO:thumb:

Detoxing
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I think if Cam gets by Buffalo he is in for a long slide.

BossChief
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
The Patriots and Pioli/BB would always trade down with one major purpose in mind that wont be available this year.

Adding future picks.

If there is no CBA in place prior to the NFL draft, no future picks can be included in trades during this years draft.

BigCatDaddy
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
If there is no CBA in place prior to the NFL draft, no future picks can be included in trades during this years draft.

That would be incorrect.

Nightfyre
04-04-2011, 03:48 PM
They will trade UP and draft a prototypical 3-4 DE.

http://theevanstonian.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/fireworks1.jpg

I'm just saying.... marcell dareus could be a three down nt for us OR play the 5 tech.

BossChief
04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
That would be incorrect.

no, its not.

BigCatDaddy
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
no, its not.

Yes, it is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/teams-may-trade-future-draft-picks-at-their-own-risk/

Mort confirmed it as well.

BossChief
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Mark this one down...

I stand corrected.

el borracho
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Other teams? Hell! ... I want a QB like Locker or Mallet.

PGM
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
:facepalm: I swear it's deja vu with this every year. Trade down!!!! Then trade down again!!!!! We can have the whole 1st round like in Madden.

Pawnmower
04-10-2011, 11:13 PM
trading out of the first rd so as to acquire more picks "IF" they find no 1st rd value at the 21st pick:shrug:

No. If they didnt trade last years or the year before there is no way we will this year.....

I thought for sure we would one out of the last two.

Wilson8
04-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Looking at draft history with New England, I think it is something that Scott Pioli always looks at to determine if he could still get talent and obtain extra draft picks.

This year is a lot different from the past two years with the 21st pick and the talent that would still be there if that moved a few slots down. If the Chiefs want a WR or NT with the first pick, they could move down and not get hurt.

nascher
04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
do we really need more picks ? He can trade down for the right deal but we already have a young talented team.

JASONSAUTO
04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
do we really need more picks ? He can trade down for the right deal but we already have a young talented team.

You can never have enough picks seems to be their motto
Posted via Mobile Device