PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Chiefs draft projections: First round

Coogs
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/04/2774462/chiefs-draft-projections-first.html

Chiefs draft projections: First round

Gene J. Puskar | The Associated Press
Penn State's Stefan Wisniewski
Today starts our series going through the Chiefs eight draft picks and selecting for them a player who should reasonably be available.

When trying to predict what Scott Pioli might do with the Chiefs top draft selection, itís best to remember Pioliís guiding principle as it relates to first-round picks. If heís going to give someone a big pile of money, heís going to make certain the Chiefs get something for it.

Pioli will almost always go for a player whoís a safe pick, someone he believes will play at least at an adequate level over a long period instead of a boom or bust type. Thatís not to say he wonít make some mistakes in that assessment. He might have made a big one with Tyson Jackson two years ago, but the Chiefs arenít ready to concede that with Jackson just yet.

Regardless, heís not going to let one possible error steer him away from that philosophy. The safest of picks among players who could fill a need and reasonably be available when the Chiefs make the 21st selection is Wisniewski of Penn State.

Wisniewski, who could play either center or guard, definitely fills a need. The Chiefs have some questions in the middle of their line. They might like to have Casey Wiegmann back for another year, even if in a diminished role, but does he want to play again at age 38? How long does Brian Waters have left? How many more seasons can Ryan Lilja hold up?

With only Jon Asamoah in the pipeline as a possible replacement, the Chiefs could use another capable body there. Wisniewskiís best position is probably center, but could play guard as well.

The Chiefs might like an upgrade at tackle, where Branden Albert and Barry Richardson are the starters. But there doesnít appear to be a canít-miss tackle in this draft and Pioli seems to believe he can find players at those positions later in the draft.

Outside linebacker? Maybe. But, again, thereís no backer reasonably available to the Chiefs at 21 who falls into that canít-miss category. The fact the Chiefs re-signed Andy Studebaker last year indicates they have a future in mind for him. And Iím not convinced Mike Vrabel is finished with the Chiefs, either. I think theyíd like to have him back, albeit in a diminished role.

Wide receiver? Sure. But A.J. Green and Julio Jones will be long gone by 21, leaving the Chiefs with a collection of choices there that they might be able to get in round 2.

No, true value with the 21st pick plus need for the Chiefs add up to a guard for the Chiefs. It might be a tough call for the Chiefs if Floridaís Mike Pouncey is still available to them. The guess here is that Pouncey will be gone be the time the Chiefs get around to making their choice. So weíll go with Wisniewski, who in addition to having superior offensive line ability has the strong leadership skills the Chiefs appreciate.

All signs point toward Wisniewski having a long, solid career as an NFL player while also filling a need for the Chiefs, making him Pioliís kind of draft pick.

Chris Meck
04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't think so, not in the first. He'll likely be there in the 2nd.

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Teicher has never been close at all with his picks.

spanky 52
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I'd be okay with Wisniewski if we traded down and picked him late in the first or early in the second. I've seen nothing where the Chief's have had an interest in Wisniewski. Still thinking it will be NT Taylor.

Chiefnj2
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Snap out of it: Wisniewski having troubles at center for PSU
October 1, 2009
By Cory Giger,cgiger@altoonamirror.com
Save | Comments (3) | Post a comment | Bookmark and Share

The football often flutters back to Daryll Clark in the shotgun, dipping as it approaches the quarterback and forcing him to lunge at it.

That's not the way it's supposed to happen.

"The snap needs to be brought back a lot faster and up higher," Clark said.

Shotgun snaps are far from the biggest problem Penn State faces, but it's a subtle area that could lead to bigger problems unless first-year center Stefen Wisniewski improves his technique.

Wisniewski, one of the more candid Nittany Lion players, didn't hide his true feelings Wednesday when asked about his transition from guard to center.

"I think it is a little harder than I expected," he said.

Wisniewski also admitted, "Snapping the ball is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be, snapping it and trying to block real quick."

The center's responsibilities are largely taken for granted by football fans. It's usually only when a center starts botching a bunch of plays that people notice him.

Wisniewski has botched only one play so far. Joe Paterno pointed out it was the center's fault on a poor exchange with Clark that led to a goal-line fumble against Syracuse in week two.

Wisniewski said he's "not terribly disappointed with [the snaps]" because there haven't been a lot of fumbles. But watch his shotgun snaps, and it's clear he's making Clark work too hard simply to get the ball and start the play.

"That's something that was brought up on Sunday and Monday," Clark said of the poor shotgun snaps.

"It's a lot easier to focus on the play," Clark added, "if the snap lands right in your lap with your head up front [seeing] what's going on in front of you."

And the kind of floating snaps he has been getting?

"Sometimes it can knock off a bit of timing, especially if you're going quick game out of shotgun," Clark said.

Football often comes down to a fraction of a second, and that's essentially what the Lions are losing when Wisniewski makes a soft, arching snap.

"Ideal is you want to get it back there fast, but not like a rocket," Wisniewski said. "You don't want it to be so fast that it's kind of hard to deal with, but you want it to be fast enough that you grab it and [can look] down the field pretty quickly."

Wisniewski has been letting fear dictate things on his snaps.

"The thing holding me back from [snapping it quickly] is just kind of fear of having a real bad one, snapping it over his head or something, which is certainly a lot worse than having a slow one go back there," Wisniewski said.

Wisniewski, from Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, came to Penn State ranked as the No. 8 guard recruit in the nation. He quickly impressed the coaches as a true freshman, appearing in eight games and starting one. He started 12 games last season, 11 at right guard, one at left.

The departure of All-American A.Q. Shipley, the Rimington Award winner as the nation's best center, left an opening at the snapper position. The coaches decided to move Wisniewski instead of keeping him at guard and giving the center job to redshirt junior Doug Klopacz, who backed up Shipley last season before tearing his knee after three games.

Paterno second-guessed the decision to move Wisniewski just two weeks into the season.

"Maybe we should have kept him at guard," said JoePa, who was hesitant to do so given Klopacz's limited experience.

Wisniewski was asked Wednesday if he would rather still be playing guard. There was a brief pause before he gave an answer that hardly sounded convincing.

"I mean, I like them both," Wisniewski said. "They're similar -- both get to hit people. I like them both."

The biggest difference between center and guard is that a defender is right on top of the center, so he must be ready to get hit immediately. Guards have a yard or so of cushion between themselves and the opposing defensive lineman.

Paterno caused a bit of a stir last week when he publicly questioned Wisniewski's leadership on his weekly radio show. The criticism, Wisniewski said, was the same stuff he has heard personally from the coach.

"He's definitely been on me about that in practice, as well," Wisniewski said.

JoePa's primary point has been for Wisniewski to be a better mentor to some of the other offensive linemen, particularly the inexperienced guards.

Wisniewski has a lot of experience and should be a natural leader, but at the same time, he's also learning a new position. And he's struggling with it, which could be affecting his confidence.

He has received advice about playing center from his uncle, Steve, an All-American guard at Penn State and eight-time NFL All-Pro.

"My uncle is always helping out with drills and things I can be doing," said Wisniewski, who noted his father, Leo, who played in the NFL, hasn't been able to help much because he was a defensive lineman.

Shipley also has reached out to offer advice about playing center.

"I've talked to him a couple times, and I really appreciate that," Wisniewski said.

The biggest thing Wisniewski already has learned about his new position, he said, is that he still has "a lot more learning to do."

"I still have a lot more things I need to improve on," Wisniewski said.

Cory Giger can be reached at 949-7031 and cgsports12@aol.com.
© Copyright 2011 The Altoona Mirror. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

BossChief
04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Teicher has never been close at all with his picks.

Yeah, but Teicher didn't write this one.

No matter how much this runs parallel with my takes on this player as a likely selection for us in the first, I didn't write this either.

Id also like to chime in on the fact that there is almost no chance at all this player is available at our second round pick. He just has too much talent to pair with superb leadership and off field contributions.

Chiefnj2
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but Teicher didn't write this one.

No matter how much this runs parallel with my takes on this player as a likely selection for us in the first, I didn't write this either.

Id also like to chime in on the fact that there is almost no chance at all this player is available at our second round pick. He just has too much talent to pair with superb leadership and off field contributions.

He's a guard, he could fall.

BossChief
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
He's a guard, he could fall.

He was an All American center as well (in 2009).

That versatility to play multiple positions at a very high level coupled with his leadership, bloodlines, intelligence and lots of other documented variables is what will probably get him overdrafted somewhere in the last 12 picks in the first round.

If he slips within 10-15 picks in the second, we should be trying to move up to select him.

milkman
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
He was an All American center as well (in 2009).

That versatility to play multiple positions at a very high level coupled with his leadership, bloodlines, intelligence and lots of other documented variables is what will probably get him overdrafted somewhere in the last 12 picks in the first round.

If he slips within 10-15 picks in the second, we should be trying to move up to select him.

No we shouldn't.

We have too many holes to fill to be trading up for a guard/center.

BossChief
04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
No we shouldn't.

We have too many holes to fill to be trading up for a guard/center.

this draft drops the fuck off after about the middle of the 5th round (at best) and if we can use some of those picks as ammunition to move up for a quality player at a position of need...we absolutely should.

This draft isnt comparable to last years and the positions that are deep are spots that we don't have a great need at.

If we can come out of our second round pick with a quality long term starter at a position of need, it would be worth losing a couple late rounders to do so.

Chiefnj2
04-05-2011, 05:45 AM
this draft drops the **** off after about the middle of the 5th round (at best) and if we can use some of those picks as ammunition to move up for a quality player at a position of need...we absolutely should.

This draft isnt comparable to last years and the positions that are deep are spots that we don't have a great need at.

If we can come out of our second round pick with a quality long term starter at a position of need, it would be worth losing a couple late rounders to do so.

Middle of the fifth??? It drops off at about 15.

milkman
04-05-2011, 07:55 AM
this draft drops the **** off after about the middle of the 5th round (at best) and if we can use some of those picks as ammunition to move up for a quality player at a position of need...we absolutely should.

I've followed football long enough to know that there have been a number of good players taken late in drafts that were considered weak.

Moving up in any draft, weak or otherwise, to take an interior O-Lineman is simply stupid.

BossChief
04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I've followed football long enough to know that there have been a number of good players taken late in drafts that were considered weak.

Moving up in any draft, weak or otherwise, to take an interior O-Lineman is simply stupid.

This isnt a normal weak draft though. It is historically weak due to the players coming out in last years draft for the last NFL payday for rookies before a new rookie wage scale is implemented.

If we trade down from 21, he will likely be a target for us wherever we land and if we pick at 21 and he is still there at 45 or so, we should make a move.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

BTAU
04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Second Round is up:

Second round: WR Leonard Hankerson
The Chiefs might like to draft a wide receiver in the first round but there will be no first-round talent available to them when they make their initial choice.

So they will have to wait until round two to fill this need, one big enough it can wait no longer. Hankerson, of Miami, is a good choice at this spot.

Like most young receivers, Hankerson will take some time to fully develop. Once he does, the Chiefs should have a dangerous receiver to pair with Dwayne Bowe.

“He has the potential to develop into a solid number two receiver,’’ said Shawn Zobel, who runs a draft website at www.draftheadquarters.com. “He’s got the size and speed and playmaking ability. There’s not a downside to him. He’ll be a good NFL player but probably not a superstar.’’

In the meantime, the addition of Hankerson gives the Chiefs a deep threat at wide receiver, something they’ve lacked for some time. He adds to their arsenal of speed and makes the Chiefs even more difficult to defend than they were last season.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1702

Deberg_1990
04-06-2011, 10:04 AM
3rd round is up..

Third round: OLB Sam Acho

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1703

After giving the Chiefs offensive players in the first two rounds, it's time to turn their attention to the defense.

The Chiefs re-signed Andy Studebaker during last season, so they obviously think he’s a valuable part at outside linebacker. But he might be all they have at these positions next year other than Tamba Hali. Mike Vrabel will be 36 this summer and is without a contract for next year. Forget about his recent arrest in Indiana. There will be a place for him with the Chiefs next year if he wants one, though it might be in a diminished role.

Drafting Acho, of Texas, gives the Chiefs a safety net. He’s converting from a college defensive end, so he’s no sure thing. But that holds for anyone the Chiefs might get with the 86th pick of the draft. He also may never become an elite pass rusher but the Chiefs, who already have one of those in Tamba Hali, can live without that quality in Acho.

Everything else about him says Acho should become a solid if not spectacular pro player. He’s a good athlete, has a high football IQ and is a hard worker. That’s the kind of guy general manager Scott Pioli likes to have around, so Acho makes sense at this point in the draft for the Chiefs.

Ericgoodchief
04-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Metrosports today did a segment on the draft.

They mentioned the ESPN expert saying we will take OT Carmini from Wisc.

BTAU
04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Fourth Round is up:

Fourth round: OT Marcus Gilbert
Here's another chance for the Chiefs to build the depth of their offensive line. At tackle, they have Branden Albert and Barry Richardson under contract. Ryan O'Callaghan doesn't have a contract for next season.

There was some talk last year when they drafted him that Jon Asamoah could play right tackle but he never got a look there last season.

Eventually Gilbert, who played in college at Florida, could be able to take over as a starting tackle, possibly on the left side but probably on the right.

''He probably needs a year of development but after that I think he'll be able to compete for a starting job at right tackle,'' said Shawn Zobel, who runs a draft web site at www.draftheadquarters.com. ''He has that kind of talent. He’s got all the tools you look for and is probably one of the more underrated offensive tackle prospects this year.''

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1704

Frankie
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't think so, not in the first. He'll likely be there in the 2nd.

This. I'm beginning to think it's either Pouncy or a trade down where we might still pick up Phil Taylor.

Frankie
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I'd be okay with Wisniewski if we traded down and picked him late in the first or early in the second. I've seen nothing where the Chief's have had an interest in Wisniewski. Still thinking it will be NT Taylor.

Looks like Taylor might also be available after a trade-down to, say, mid 20s.

Frankie
04-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Fourth Round is up:

Fourth round: OT Marcus Gilbert

This would be a good pick at 4, IMO. Gilbert is strictly a RT, it looks like. I hear that particular lack of versatility might be the only thing that drops him to that round.

Deberg_1990
04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Fifth round is up: Ricky Stanzi

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1705

Generally, to select a quarterback late in the draft is to waste a pick. For every Tom Brady chosen in the sixth round, there are 20 quarterbacks who failed miserably.

But the Chiefs need a quarterback to develop. Behind Matt Cassel, they have Brodie Croyle, who doesn’t have a contract, and Tyler Palko. It may be time for the Chiefs and Croyle to part ways. They might be looking for a backup more reliable than Croyle, 0-10 lifetime as a starter. Croyle might be looking for a fresh start elsewhere, too. Palko isn’t the answer.

Stanzi, of Iowa, might be. I had a tough time choosing Stanzi instead of Nathan Enderle of Idaho. One of the best draft analysts I know, Shawn Zobel of www.draftheadquarters.com, thinks a lot of Enderle, who has considerable skills but plays erratically. He’s convinced Enderle has a much better chance than Stanzi of becoming a quality pro quarterback.

I’m going this time with what I know, or think I know, about Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli. Stanzi is a safer pick than Enderle. He played at Iowa for Kirk Ferentz, one of Pioli’s close friends.

History says this pick, whether it’s Stanzi or Enderle or another quarterback, won’t work out. But it’s time for the Chiefs to try.

Chiefnj2
04-08-2011, 09:18 AM
I like everything but the first round.

Opinions on Wisniewski vary greatly from late 1st to 4th. I wonder if there was a medical red flag.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Opinions on Wisniewski vary greatly from late 1st to 4th. I wonder if there was a medical red flag.

There more I think about it, the more it looks like there just won't be good value for what we need that's left at our spot. I was on the Taylor bandwagon, but now I'm leaning a bit towards the Ponder/Mallet bandwagon. This of course assuming we can't trade down.

I also might consider a reach on Hankerson, Wilkerson if you are ready to write of TJ, but everything else just looks blah.

Usually I'm a trade down guy as well, but if you can package something at get up to 10 to get Jones I would be all for that this year.

Frankie
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

I do like the 3rd round on picks. But my first 2 would be Pouncey and Powe.

WR <--> FA

Infidel Goat
04-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Snap out of it: Wisniewski having troubles at center for PSU
October 1, 2009
By Cory Giger,cgiger@altoonamirror.com
SNIP.

Did you really just quote an article from nearly two full college football season ago?

:LOL:

Chiefnj2
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Did you really just quote an article from nearly two full college football season ago?

:LOL:

Yes. That was the only year he played center. He was moved back to guard as a Senior, so it is probative as to his ability, or inability, to play center in the NFL.

Frankie
04-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Yes. That was the only year he played center. He was moved back to guard as a Senior, so it is probative as to his ability, or inability, to play center in the NFL.

If we want to draft a G/C in the 1st it better be Pouncey and not Wisniewski.

Mr. Laz
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
we have guards possibilities in Waters,Lilja,Asomoah and Walters ... maybe even Niswanger. If we draft a center then i want a pure,dominant center.

Chiefnj2
04-10-2011, 06:22 PM
we have guards possibilities in Waters,Lilja,Asomoah and Walters ... maybe even Niswanger. If we draft a center then i want a pure,dominant center.

Not in this draft.

Coogs
04-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Do you mean Harris instead of Walters? :shrug:

Frankie
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Waters and Lilja are ready to decline. An O-lineman's decline comes real sudden. I saw a great but aging Chiefs O-line go from the longest playoffs game ever to softies in the next season. Part of Stram's fall came from staying too loyal to his O-line too long. since then I've seen that kind of 'overnight' decline many times in the NFL. getting Pouncey and having Asamoah in the pipeline makes a lot of sense.

And who is to say Pouncey can't be coached into a carbon copy of his brother at center?

JASONSAUTO
04-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Please no pouncey, he isn't his brother.

Ask any gators fan
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
04-11-2011, 12:21 AM
haha, yeah Wisnewski wasn't a good center in 2009...its not like he was an All American at center that year or anything....hold on...

Anyone slamming that guy for his ability to be a dominant center hasnt watched him play.

Chiefnj2
04-11-2011, 07:18 AM
haha, yeah Wisnewski wasn't a good center in 2009...its not like he was an All American at center that year or anything....hold on...

Anyone slamming that guy for his ability to be a dominant center hasnt watched him play.

So why was he demoted his senior year?

Why is he slipping on most analyst's boards?

He's not even on Brandt's top 100 players any more - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f2ce4b/article/pro-days-results-tweak-latest-topprospects-list?module=HP_spotlight

Ebolapox
04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
sweet, guess we can get him in the third or fourth round now.

Frankie
04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Please no pouncey, he isn't his brother.

Ask any gators fan
Posted via Mobile Device

You would think identical twins are virtually like clones. Maybe this Pouncey was not used right in college. Who knows if a 2nd year of playing center will or will not make corrections in his game? How was the other Pouncey playin center the first year he tried it? I bet he made his share of mistakes too.