PDA

View Full Version : Legal September 11 suspect to be tried at Guantanamo Bay

Stinger
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
September 11 suspect to be tried at Guantanamo Bay
57 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-professed mastermind of the September 11, 2001 attacks, will be tried by a military commission at Guantanamo Bay instead of in a U.S. civilian court, a U.S. official told Reuters.

President Barack Obama had tried, and failed, to overcome objections by Republicans and some of his fellow Democrats in Congress to transferring some detainees to U.S. prisons and trying Mohammed and others in federal courts.

On March 7, Obama reluctantly lifted a two-year freeze on new military trials at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

The U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder would formally make the announcement on Mohammed's trial at Guantanamo at 2 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Monday.

Holder announced in late 2009 that Mohammed and four of his alleged co-conspirators would be tried in a federal court in the heart of Manhattan, sparking concerns about security and about giving them full U.S. legal rights.

Mohammed, an al Qaeda leader who was captured in Pakistan in 2003, has been imprisoned at the U.S. military base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart, Editing by Sandra Maler)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_guatanamo_mohammed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas of why the change of heart from the Obama administration?

mlyonsd
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
LMAO

I'm glad to see Obama keeps checking things off of Bush's To-Do list that he ran out of time on.

Too funny. Keystone Cops.

Donger
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
How are they going to do that? I thought Obama closed Gitmo?

Oh, yeah. That was candidate Obama.

mlyonsd
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Oh to have the threads from 2005-06 back.

go bowe
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh to have the threads from 2005-06 back.heh, if mad crappy can find the oldies, you can too... :poke:

Donger
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Ouch...

"By any measure, our system of trying detainees has been a failure. Over the course of nearly seven years, there has not been a single conviction for a terrorist act at Guantanamo. There has just been one conviction for material support of terrorism," he said in June of 2008. "Meanwhile, this legal black hole has substantially set back America's ability to lead the world against the threat of terrorism, and undermined our most basic values. But make no mistake: we are less safe because of the way George Bush has handled this issue."

Chief Henry
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Oh to have the threads from 2005-06 back.

They don't come around to often anymore :thumb:

blaise
04-04-2011, 01:49 PM

I guarantee at least half of his voters think it's closed.

mlyonsd
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
The title of this thread should be "Obama vindicates Bush.....AGAIN".

blaise
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I remember saying it would be a hard to get these guys into US prisons without opening a second ADX style prison and having some liberals here tell me that was just nonsense.

mikey23545
04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
The title of this thread should be "Obama vindicates Bush.....AGAIN".

LMAO

Orange should be here any second with an article from Huffington Post explaining how this is exactly what Obama said he was going to do in the first place.

blaise
04-04-2011, 02:00 PM
LMAO

Orange should be here any second with an article from Huffington Post explaining how this is exactly what Obama said he was going to do in the first place.

"Oh you mean it's double talk, kinda like THIS REPUBLICAN SAID?

(insert Huffpost article)

ROFL ROFL"

orange

LiveSteam
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
You forgot something
"Oh you mean it's double talk, kinda like THIS REPUBLICAN SAID?

(insert Huffpost article)

ROFL ROFL"

orange
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/signaturepics/sigpic255_2.gif

Garcia Bronco
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
LMAO

I'm glad to see Obama keeps checking things off of Bush's To-Do list that he ran out of time on.

Too funny. Keystone Cops.

He just wasn't ready for the job. If he has any intellectual honesty, he would admit it.

ChiefaRoo
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
change..

hope..

err... Bush was right on this one.

orange
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
LMAO

And why would I do that? I never supported candidate Obama.

p.s. Instruct newbie LiveSteam on what a "signature" is. I'm sure you know.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
September 11 suspect to be tried at Guantanamo Bay
57 mins ago

On March 7, Obama reluctantly lifted a two-year freeze on new military trials at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

I call BS.

orange
04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
You forgot something

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/signaturepics/sigpic255_2.gif

Here, newb. Just for you:

http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1987194_1297793160livesteam.jpg
http://www.mojaveserver.info/gallery/images/livesteam-gallery-logo-sm.jpg

Don't say I never gave you anything.

"By any measure, our system of trying detainees has been a failure. Over the course of nearly seven years, there has not been a single conviction for a terrorist act at Guantanamo. There has just been one conviction for material support of terrorism," he said in June of 2008.

So when KSM is convicted, that will double the conviction rate, right? Or will it be a first?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Maybe Bush shouldn't have started something unsustainable.

orange
04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
The Ike Skelton National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011 prohibits use of funds to transfer defendants from Guantanamo Bay to the United States. In a file dismissing the indictment of Mohammed and the four alleged conspirators sent to the Southern District of New York on Monday morning, members of the U.S. Attorney’s Office pointed to the act as the prohibitive restriction preventing a federal trial.

Before Holder’s announcement, a Department of Justice official said that a military commission trial had become the “only option available given congressional restrictions.” If the message wasn’t clear enough, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney cited “congressional reaction to some of the goals that were laid out” as one of the reasons for the reversal. Asked whether blaming Congress was going to be the simple pushback, another official replied, “We're just explaining the facts.”

more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/04/eric-holder-ksm-trial_n_844564.html

Damn, there goes HuffingtonPost breaking a story again. I guess this isn't "real news," then.

vailpass
04-04-2011, 05:10 PM
The Ike Skelton National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011 prohibits use of funds to transfer defendants from Guantanamo Bay to the United States. In a file dismissing the indictment of Mohammed and the four alleged conspirators sent to the Southern District of New York on Monday morning, members of the U.S. Attorney’s Office pointed to the act as the prohibitive restriction preventing a federal trial.

Before Holder’s announcement, a Department of Justice official said that a military commission trial had become the “only option available given congressional restrictions.” If the message wasn’t clear enough, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney cited “congressional reaction to some of the goals that were laid out” as one of the reasons for the reversal. Asked whether blaming Congress was going to be the simple pushback, another official replied, “We're just explaining the facts.”

:LOL:

blaise
04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Thing about saying you'll do something. Saying you're not allowed afterwards isn't really a good excuse.

orange
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e3af020a970b-300wi

Bewbies
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
At what point will all the folks who voted for 'change' realize they really voted for 'more of the same thing'??

mlyonsd
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e3af020a970b-300wi

:LOL: Dang you, that made me LOL. Awesome.

mikey23545
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
At what point will all the folks who voted for 'change' realize they really voted for<strike> 'more of the same thing'</strike> 'not as good as what we had'??

FYP.

mikey23545
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/04/eric-holder-ksm-trial_n_844564.html

Damn, there goes HuffingtonPost breaking a story again. I guess this isn't "real news," then.

OMG, how weak! LMAO

So this act of Congress, sponsored by a Democrat and signed by Obama is Obama's excuse for breaking yet another promise? LMAO

mikey23545
04-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Right, and you voted for Reagan too, I forgot....ROFL

orange
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Right, and you voted for Reagan too, I forgot....ROFL

No, I never voted for Reagan.

I DID support Hillary and then McCain... and anyone here with three+ braincells can find that out ... which excludes you, of course, but maybe someone will tell you.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7538462#dropdown3

blaise
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
orange supported McCain because he was so butthurt at Obama for beating Hillary.

mikey23545
04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
No, I never voted for Reagan.

I DID support Hillary and then McCain... and anyone here with three+ braincells can find that out ... which excludes you, of course, but maybe someone will tell you.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7538462#dropdown3

Yeah, I've never seen you carrying Obama's water on here...ROFL

mlyonsd
04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
orange supported McCain because he was so butthurt at Obama for beating Hillary.

As it turned out we'd all have been better off if more people like orange would have recognized Hillary as the better leader during the primary.

Jaric
04-05-2011, 09:01 AM
As it turned out we'd all have been better off if more people like orange would have recognized Hillary as the better leader during the primary.

Yet another statement I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with.

patteeu
04-05-2011, 09:18 AM

You were a lot more fun when you were an anti-Obama Hillary supporter. It would be great to get that going again in 2012, huh? Go Hillary!

durtyrute
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
At what point will all the folks who voted for 'change' realize they really voted for 'more of the same thing'??

This