PDA

View Full Version : ESPN brings back Jon Gruden's QB Camp

Pestilence
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/06/espn-brings-back-jon-grudens-quarterback-camp/

ESPN brings back Jon Gruden’s quarterback camp
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
In the weeks leading up to last year’s NFL draft, one of the most-discussed subjects in the football world was Jon Gruden’s QB Camp feature on ESPN, in which Gruden sat down with the top quarterback prospects and went over everything from whether they were good enough at recognizing coverages to whether they needed to change their accents.

Now Gruden’s QB Camp is coming back.

ESPN announced that Gruden will conduct film sessions with Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, Jake Locker of Washington, Andy Dalton of TCU, Cam Newton of Auburn and Blaine Gabbert of Missouri as part of an hour-long special that will air Thursday, April 21.

Last year we noted that Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen didn’t come across as much of a leader when talking to Gruden, and NFL Network’s Mike Mayock later said he thought that interview may have soured some teams on Clausen. This year we’ll be tuning in with particular interest in how Newton and Mallett come across — and some of the folks in NFL front offices may be tuning in with the same interest.

Chiefnj2
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Mariucci has been doing the same thing on nfl network.

Coogs
04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I watched the Jake Locker one last night. It was very good, and I have to say I would not be upset at all if the Chiefs pull the trigger on Locker at #21.

Segment #2 is up tonight. I think it is Dalton.

Chiefnj2
04-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Gruden does a much, much better job than Mariucci.

Coogs, you fall in love with every single QB prospect.

Coogs
04-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Gruden does a much, much better job than Mariucci.

Coogs, you fall in love with every single QB prospect.

:D

Just the 1st rounders! That's where the Super Bowl QB's come from, minus Montana and Brady.

I expect Mewton and Gabbert to not even be in range by 21, so I have paid little to no attention to those two. Locker and Mallet though, I'm all in favor of the Chiefs taking a serious look. Probably not going to happen, but... :shrug:

Chiefnj2
04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
:D

Just the 1st rounders! That's where the Super Bowl QB's come from, minus Montana and Brady.

I expect Mewton and Gabbert to not even be in range by 21, so I have paid little to no attention to those two. Locker and Mallet though, I'm all in favor of the Chiefs taking a serious look. Probably not going to happen, but... :shrug:

I want nothing to do with Locker. His accuracy, especially against better teams, sucks. He played 3 ranked teams this year (Nebraska 2x, and Stanford). His compl % was 20%, 50% (stanford) and 31%.

Coogs
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I want nothing to do with Locker. His accuracy, especially against better teams, sucks. He played 3 ranked teams this year (Nebraska 2x, and Stanford). His compl % was 20%, 50% (stanford) and 31%.

Yeah, I know. But he was also surrounded by pretty inexperienced players from what I heard on TV a couple of weeks ago. Gruden's and Locker's breakdown of his game tape was pretty impressive. And Gruden points out some things he did very well. And he took the criticism when Gruden was givin him the buisness while showing some not so good stuff.

I have a lot less concerns about him after reading/hearing a lot on Locker the past couple of weeks.

Chiefnj2
04-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I know. But he was also surrounded by pretty inexperienced players from what I heard on TV a couple of weeks ago. Gruden's and Locker's breakdown of his game tape was pretty impressive. And Gruden points out some things he did very well. And he took the criticism when Gruden was givin him the buisness while showing some not so good stuff.

I have a lot less concerns about him after reading/hearing a lot on Locker the past couple of weeks.

I'm not all that familiar with the Huskies, but his top 3 WRs were with him in 2009 as well.

Bewbies
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Locker is going to Minnesota.

Coogs
04-12-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm not all that familiar with the Huskies, but his top 3 WRs were with him in 2009 as well.

I'm just going by what I heard on TV. They didn't say at what positions, but just said most of the offense was made up of 18-19 year olds... which lead to a lot of problems. :shrug:

Flopnuts or someone else familiar with the Huskies would probably know for sure.

Coogs
04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Locker is going to Minnesota.

Sounds possible... but not a sure thing at 12 yet.

Bowser
04-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Probably appropo of nothing, but Merrill Hodge said on Sportscenter today that he doesn't think that there is a QB worth taking in the first round this year. None of them. I found that interesting/confusing.

BigCatDaddy
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Probably appropo of nothing, but Merrill Hodge said on Sportscenter today that he doesn't think that there is a QB worth taking in the first round this year. None of them. I found that interesting/confusing.

I think when they first started talking draft Mayock was mentioning Locker and Newton as 2nd to 3rd round talents.

SNR
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I think when they first started talking draft Mayock was mentioning Locker and Newton as 2nd to 3rd round talents.This shit happens every year, though. Matt Ryan was a 2nd rounder, JP Losman was a 4th rounder, Jay Cutler was a 3rd rounder. Tim Tebow was (and probably should have been) a 5th rounder. Hell, what about Vince Young and Ben Roethlisberger?

There's a huge demand for QBs unlike any other position. If there's a weak class of WRs, RBs, DL, people just let them fall and draft the players that are appropriate for that round. Not so with QBs. The "horrible" prospects get bumped up several rounds if there's a weak class. And it happens all the time, because there are never enough great QB prospects to match the demand out there.

Coogs
04-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I watched the first 20 minutes last night of the Dalton segment around 11:00PM last night. It was more of a Dalton coaching Gruden on how TCU does things, and how thier offense works. Not really like the other sgements I have seen.

Tonight is Mallett. First airing is at 6:00 or 6:30PM, and is followed by the Arkansas-Georgia football game from this past fall. A chance to watch Mallett and Houston from Georgia.

Last night the game was TCU-Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. I watched it for a bit to see Carimi and Moffitt. Both were pretty impressive.

ESPNU, BTW.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 07:44 AM
I watched the first 20 minutes last night of the Dalton segment around 11:00PM last night. It was more of a Dalton coaching Gruden on how TCU does things, and how thier offense works. Not really like the other sgements I have seen.

Tonight is Mallett. First airing is at 6:00 or 6:30PM, and is followed by the Arkansas-Georgia football game from this past fall. A chance to watch Mallett and Houston from Georgia.

Last night the game was TCU-Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. I watched it for a bit to see Carimi and Moffitt. Both were pretty impressive.

ESPNU, BTW.

I missed it last night. Too tired to watch it at midnight. I do have a hard time trying to take a red-headed QB seriously. I look at Dalton and just want to call him Opie.

Coogs
04-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I missed it last night. Too tired to watch it at midnight. I do have a hard time trying to take a red-headed QB seriously. I look at Dalton and just want to call him Opie.

JMO again, but I didn't think you missed all that much. It was good, don't get me wrong there, but it seemed more like a coach... Gruden... wanting to learn, than a coach wanting to teach, like the other segments. :shrug:

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 08:05 AM
This is what makes Mallett so frustrating. Some beautiful passes and some boneheaded throws at important times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPhs3oPHTA&feature=related

Coogs
04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
This is what makes Mallett so frustrating. Some beautiful passes and some boneheaded throws at important times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPhs3oPHTA&feature=related

I know what you mean. I watched this game last fall. All QB's have some warts. IMO, Mallett can make throws that most QB's can not make. And you hope he can learn to not make the bonehead throws. That would be Zorn's job.

Coogs
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Mallett segment starts now. Georgia/Arkansas to follow. 11:00PM Central for the replay.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Half way through Mallett and it is pretty weak.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Gruden all but substantiated all of the Mallett substance abuse rumors. Half the show was how are you going to deal with the media, meet John Daly, how to deal with the pressures of a being a pro, etc.

Coogs
04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Half way through Mallett and it is pretty weak.

I enjoyed the first 10 - 12 minutes. Gruden was grilling him pretty hard on getting sacked by blitzers, and who's fault it was... Mallett's or the O-line. Pretty interesting stuff. I thought Mallett was pretty respectful with his answers to Gruden with the Yes Sir, No Sir comments. I also liked the part when Gruden asked him if he was mad at Gruden, and Mallett responded "No sir, I am mad at myself" for not recognizing a blitz was comming.

I liked the fact that Gruden implied to him that he did not have to be fast to be successful in this league, and then proceeded to explain to him what it was going to take to be like Mannning and Brady before heading into the blitz pickup segment.

I caught the replay edition late last evening, so once Gruden started asking John Daley how Mallett could throw accurate and long, I started dozing off, and missed the last part of the show. Not sure why Daley was in there to talk football.

Chiefnj2
04-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I enjoyed the first 10 - 12 minutes. Gruden was grilling him pretty hard on getting sacked by blitzers, and who's fault it was... Mallett's or the O-line. Pretty interesting stuff. I thought Mallett was pretty respectful with his answers to Gruden with the Yes Sir, No Sir comments. I also liked the part when Gruden asked him if he was mad at Gruden, and Mallett responded "No sir, I am mad at myself" for not recognizing a blitz was comming.

I liked the fact that Gruden implied to him that he did not have to be fast to be successful in this league, and then proceeded to explain to him what it was going to take to be like Mannning and Brady before heading into the blitz pickup segment.

I caught the replay edition late last evening, so once Gruden started asking John Daley how Mallett could throw accurate and long, I started dozing off, and missed the last part of the show. Not sure why Daley was in there to talk football.

The first section or two were okay. You learned that Mallett isn't the best with reading blitzes and that he needs a clean pocket because he has no mobility at all.

Then, it was all about answering tough media questions and the pressure of being a QB.
Daley was there to talk about handling the pressures of being a pro athlete and having to take care of yourself. I thought it was a nod to Daly's alcohol problems and Mallett's "alleged" problems.

It could just be me, but I got the impression all the drug rumors were/are true. Gruden didn't bring in a former alcoholic to talk to Dalton or Locker.

Coogs
04-14-2011, 08:24 AM
The first section or two were okay. You learned that Mallett isn't the best with reading blitzes and that he needs a clean pocket because he has no mobility at all.

Then, it was all about answering tough media questions and the pressure of being a QB.
Daley was there to talk about handling the pressures of being a pro athlete and having to take care of yourself. I thought it was a nod to Daly's alcohol problems and Mallett's "alleged" problems.

It could just be me, but I got the impression all the drug rumors were/are true. Gruden didn't bring in a former alcoholic to talk to Dalton or Locker.

I thought the same, that Gruden thinks he has a lot of work to do with blitz recognizition, and that Mallett is going to face a relentless amount of blitzes until he can do it.

And you could be right on that is why Daley was there. Makes sense.

Probably going to be best to pass on Mallett even though he has a huge upside. The risk that goes with that huge upside may be too much to gamble on at this point.

Chiefnj2
04-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I thought the same, that Gruden thinks he has a lot of work to do with blitz recognizition, and that Mallett is going to face a relentless amount of blitzes until he can do it.

And you could be right on that is why Daley was there. Makes sense.

Probably going to be best to pass on Mallett even though he has a huge upside. The risk that goes with that huge upside may be too much to gamble on at this point.

I don't see much middle ground with him. Marinovich or Marino.

Coogs, did you watch any Arkansas v. Georgia?? I saw parts of the first half, Houston wasn't impressive.

Coogs
04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't see much middle ground with him. Marinovich or Marino.

Coogs, did you watch any Arkansas v. Georgia?? I saw parts of the first half, Houston wasn't impressive.

I watched from the middle of the first quarter 'til right after half. Quite honestly, I was wondering if Houston was even playing. I did not know what his number was, and never heard his name called. I take it he did, so then I would agree that he ws not very impressive.

MahiMike
04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
These are great. I just watched Ryan Mallet. If I didn't have the video of it, I'd bet money he was black. I'd have to see if he was a droopy drawer dude before I drafted him (that said, I think he's the #1 QB).

Whosurdaddy
04-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I didn't get that mallett was bad against the blitz at all in this interview. In fact, Mallett is sacked the least of the top quarterbacks (against the best competition in the country mind you). Gruden just wanted him to know that he was going to have to work his butt off in blitz recognition in the NFL, because his career is going to depend on it. Mallett looks very sharp on the whiteboard as well.

There is a lot of misinformation about his performance/background. This article does an excellent job addressing his strengths and weaknesses. Give it a look if you are curious.
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

Sacks per attempt:

Mallett: once every 17 attempts
Gabbert: once every 13.4 atttempts
Locker: once every 15.5 attempts
Newton: once every 12.2 attempts

Completion percentage for last two years:

Mallett: 55.8 / 64.7
Gabbert: 58.9 / 63.4
LoLcker: 58.2 / 55.4
Newton: 50 / 66.1

Coogs
04-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I didn't get that mallett was bad against the blitz at all in this interview. In fact, Mallett is sacked the least of the top quarterbacks (against the best competition in the country mind you)

I posted the Mallett article you are talking about in a thread a couple of weeks ago.

His sack total may not have been high, BUT... Gruden pointed out several blitzes that he should have seen comming, but didn't. One in particular comming from the edge where the LBer blitzing did nothing to disguise he was comming. And a 2nd blitz came up the middle on a cross of the LBers, twice. Gruden pointed out that Manning would not have been fooled once, much less twice. That is where Gruden asked him if he was pissed at him.

Here is the thread. He has been discussed quite a bit already in that one.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243444

CHENZ A!
04-14-2011, 09:11 PM
You guys thought the segment with Gruden made Mallett look good?? That's interesting. I mean the "yes sir" "no sir" stuff is nice, but these guys are coached to be respectful in what is basically a job interview. Mallett seemed slow physically, and mentally(which is much more important). I don't think there's any way the Chiefs will pick him, just can't see it.

Chiefnj2
04-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I watched the entire Dalton interview last night. The kid is likable. He seems to have the "it" factor. He wins games, doesn't crumble under pressure, played in a pretty high risk offense, loves to stick the dagger in the opponent, etc.

It's fun to compare the different analysis of the same product. The Sun Sentinal people said "Overrated: I’ve gone for Andy Dalton who seems to be climbing into the first round on some draft boards. To me this is a great kid with a weak arm and marginal athletic ability running a basic offense."

If you watched the Gruden breakdown, the offense was anything but simple and Dalton displayed some decent athletic ability.

Coogs
04-15-2011, 07:32 AM
You guys thought the segment with Gruden made Mallett look good??

Who said that?