PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Do you support a Government Shutdown?

WV
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I've read people who support one to supposedly prove a point and those that oppose it...what's your stance?

Mine is that if they are going to shut down the Government they need to totally shut it down so the supporters of this nonsense can really feel it. "Closing" the government while maintaining essential employee's is a shame and an insulting to the masses that really know what's going on.

ClevelandBronco
04-06-2011, 05:52 PM
It would be interesting to see who would dare stay at home if they called for only essential employees to show up.

We could start cutting the budget by eliminating those people.

petegz28
04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I have no problems with it. It happened under Clinton and yet here we are. The world did not come to an end.

WV
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I have no problems with it. It happened under Clinton and yet here we are. The world did not come to an end.

That one only amounted to 2 or 3 days with essential employees still working and then the furloughed employee's got paid for those days.....still think it was ok?

petegz28
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
That one only amounted to 2 or 3 days with essential employees still working and then the furloughed employee's got paid for those days.....still think it was ok?

Hmm, why wouldn't I?

Shut it the fuck down. Keep essential personel and military operations going and shut the rest of it the fuck down.

Stinger
04-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Not to mention every year under Carter and twice under Reagan..... OH NOES How we go on ...... :rolleyes:

BucEyedPea
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
What happened during the 1995 shutdown? Oh yeah...Rubin conspired with govt elites to loot money from civil-service pension accounts to run the govt.

Few things benefit from govt but among them they are: postal service, giving out passports, running monuments and museums and managing national parks. Then again these things can all be run privately anyway. I mean Mount Vernon is run privately.

This is the only way for people to see that the bureaucracy isn't needed as much as we think and that we can run our own lives. Govt would save money during the shutdown but it will re-open. Just maybe there will be an epiphany while bureaucrats, media and Marxists wring their hands about it.

WV
04-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Govt would save money during the shutdown but it will re-open.

That's part of the point....shutting down the Government actually costs money. Isn't that counter intuitive?

BucEyedPea
04-06-2011, 06:06 PM
That's part of the point....shutting down the Government actually costs money. Isn't that counter intuitive?

Tell me how this is so, especially if we allow some services to be privately run?
I certainly would NOT plan on paying anyone not working. And our politicians wouldn't be able to do any more damage.

WV
04-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Tell me how this is so, especially if we allow some services to be privately run?
If so is it more than the savings.

The Damages: How much will taxpayers and businesses lose? (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-31/how-much-a-government-shutdown-would-cost/)

BFS - Government Shutdown - Damages Shutting down the government should at least save money, right? Not necessarily. In fact, the 1995 shutdowns had serious economic ramifications. An OMB calculation in January 1996 estimated the cost of the 26 total days of shutdown at $1.4 billion in taxpayer money—although a good chunk of that came from back salaries paid to furloughed workers.

• Daniel Stone: Who Gets Hurt in a Gov’t ShutdownBut the National Park Service forwent more than $14 million per day in revenue, businesses and local governments near parks missed out on an estimated $295 million due to closures, and U.S. tourist industries and airlines lost “millions of dollars,” according to estimates by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service. Not that the shutdown is bad for everyone’s business: Back in 1995, local Washington, D.C. pizza magnate Frank Meeks sold a record number of pies as Congressional staffers worked over time.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/153347-boehner-shutdown-would-cost-more-than-it-would-save

Bewbies
04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm all for it. In fact, I'd like to see Speaker Boner on tv telling Obama "the election is over and I won."

KC Dan
04-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I certainly would NOT plan on paying anyone not working. And our politicians wouldn't be able to do any more damage.One reason is that they paid all gov't workers sent home retroactively aftewards:banghead:. No work but still paid....

KC Dan
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
It would be interesting to see who would dare stay at home if they called for only essential employees to show up.

We could start cutting the budget by eliminating those people.Yep, if they are not essential, buh-bye

Taco John
04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm totally cool with it. The damage done is self inflicted - park services losing out on money and the like. I don't take the blame because park services are federally (instead of state) operated.

Bwana
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Yep, if that's what it takes, go for it.

HonestChieffan
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Obama has drawn the line at no cuts for Planned Parenthood and no restrictions on the EPA. Sweet. I say shut this f***** down. Call his hand. Its poker jackass. You have no cards.

notorious
04-06-2011, 08:38 PM
OMG, what will we do without the government?!?!

Oh ya, flourish. I bet we would be amazed at how well this country would get along without the government.

HolyHandgernade
04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Sure, it sounds good in theory, until you realize the "non-essentials" are responsible for getting the actual checks to the "essentials". A prolonged shutdown is going to result in essentials wondering why they are still commuting to work/risking their lives when their families start suffering from the effects as well.

I say you sequester Congress. All this posturing is actually causing more delays and costing more money to the taxpayer.

petegz28
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Sure, it sounds good in theory, until you realize the "non-essentials" are responsible for getting the actual checks to the "essentials". A prolonged shutdown is going to result in essentials wondering why they are still commuting to work/risking their lives when their families start suffering from the effects as well.

I say you sequester Congress. All this posturing is actually causing more delays and costing more money to the taxpayer.

If the Dems had did their job and passed a budget last year this wouldn't even be a topic. The people voted in who they hope will cut spending and the Dems don't like it as evidenced by the non-passing of a budget and the "just continue the spedning" mantra.

TrebMaxx
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Shut it down. On top of that, we the people shouldn't have to pay any Federal taxes while it's shut down.

HonestChieffan
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
MVP

Obama has drawn the line at no cuts for Planned Parenthood and no restrictions on the EPA. Sweet. I say shut this f***** down. Call his hand. Its poker jackass. You have no cards.

Face it this was what he said....defend this POS if you can. Are all the dems/libs willing to shut it down over these two issues?

wazu
04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
What exactly does "shutting down the government" mean? Last time as I recall it basically meant national parks were closed for a few days. THE HORROR!

2bikemike
04-07-2011, 12:08 AM
I say shut it down and don't cave. And don't raise the debt ceiling either. Its time to get the tiger by the tail and get control of this outrageous spending problem.

alnorth
04-07-2011, 12:20 AM
No, a government shutdown would be tremendously harmful to our economy, and no sane person would "support a government shutdown", in a vaccuum, just for the hell of it. Only a fool would support a shutdown.

Now, what would I be willing to give up, and what would I not be willing to give up to avert a shutdown? That is a more interesting question.

BIG_DADDY
04-07-2011, 01:17 AM
I say shut it down and don't cave. And don't raise the debt ceiling either. Its time to get the tiger by the tail and get control of this outrageous spending problem.

Amen brother.

BucEyedPea
04-07-2011, 02:03 AM
No, a government shutdown would be tremendously harmful to our economy, and no sane person would "support a government shutdown", in a vaccuum, just for the hell of it. Only a fool would support a shutdown.

Now, what would I be willing to give up, and what would I not be willing to give up to avert a shutdown? That is a more interesting question.

We don't need govt to thrive economically let alone it being tremendously harmful. It's actually the reverse.

BucEyedPea
04-07-2011, 02:06 AM
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/153347-boehner-shutdown-would-cost-more-than-it-would-save

I said no salaries including back....you get laid off that is it and the govt is closed so there's no unemployment. Then let the national parks be run privately.

wazu
04-07-2011, 09:07 AM

A "government shutdown", as I understand it, means that about 15% of government agencies will stop working, all deemed non-essential. Not thinking that sounds "tremendously harmful".

wazu
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Yeah, unfortunately even the Republicans only pay this lip service.

LiveSteam
04-07-2011, 09:11 AM
HELL NO! I haven't got my taxes back yet

Otter
04-07-2011, 09:11 AM
They would probably do less harm shutdown than up and running.

BucEyedPea
04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
HELL NO! I haven't got my taxes back yet

You won't have to pay them anymore though! Look at the glass half full! :p

durtyrute
04-07-2011, 09:21 AM
They will still come out on top so what difference will it make. Start completely over and then lets talk