PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs are more interested in A. Smith than we think

KCrockaholic
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/4/7/2096362/mizzou-aldon-smith-chiefs-nfl-draft#storyjump

Tuesday was outside linebacker day on Chiefs Live!, the in-house radio program hosted by Chiefs Insider Josh Looney, and one of the names that popped up was Mizzou DE Aldon Smith. Mike Kelly, voice of the Missouri Tigers, was talking with Looney and had a very interesting story about Smith.

Maybe this is an elaborate smoke screen but here's what Kelly said on Chiefs Live! (and here's the audio, about 13 minutes in):

"A year ago [Missouri LB] Sean [Weatherspoon] was completing his college career and was getting ready for last year's NFL draft and went on the tour where he visited a number of teams.

"I just happened to have knee surgery last April so I was in the training room at Missouri one afternoon and 'Spoon walks in. He had just got back from visiting the Chiefs. We talked a little bit about how it went. [He said,] 'Oh, it was great. I loved the people up there. Everybody up there was very kind to me.'

"But then he looked at me and he said, 'There's no way I'm going to Kansas City'. I said, 'OK how do you know there's no way the Chiefs will take you?' He said, 'Because we spent the entire conversation talking about Aldon Smith.'"

Very interesting if you ask me. I remember Chiefs GM Scott Pioli also attended at least one Mizzou game two years ago, the Thursday nighter against Nebraska.

Again, maybe it's a smokescreen and this means nothing. But if it is a smokescreen, then it's a damn good one. The Chiefs have reportedly brought Smith in for a visit so now I'm a little more curious what they think about him.

(H/T Larryemcdaniel)

Ebolapox
04-07-2011, 09:33 AM
maybe if he falls to us...

kepp
04-07-2011, 09:33 AM
:hmmm: Very interesting

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
No thanks. No way a 3-4 team takes him.

durtyrute
04-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Could work out

talastan
04-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I'd love to get him across from Tamba. He has the physicals to play SOLB, has anyone seen how well he does in coverage? I know he made that great interception covering IIRC an Oklahoma TE.

talastan
04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Comparison for consideration:
Shaun Phillips (who I think is one of the best 3-4 SOLB in the league right now)

Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 250 lb (113 kg)

Aldon Smith (A little heavier but IMO the height is there to work coverage.)

Height / Weight:6-4 / 263

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd love to get him across from Tamba. He has the physicals to play SOLB, has anyone seen how well he does in coverage? I know he made that great interception covering IIRC an Oklahoma TE.

The one that hit him right in the chest at the line of scrimmage?

Detoxing
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
He looks more like a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE IMO.

Dicky McElephant
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Please yes. Although we'll have to trade up to get him.

DJ's left nut
04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't see it happening.

He didn't show well enough on tape after his injury last season and I still don't think he fits the Ted backer role that Romeo likes. Oh, and he's probably not even going to make it to 21.

DJ's left nut
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
The one that hit him right in the chest at the line of scrimmage?

I think you mean the one where he faked a blitz, stayed disguised and dropped back into coverage right as your quarterback thought he saw an open receiver.

And you wonder why people think you're an asshole.

talastan
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I think you mean the one where he faked a blitz, stayed in disguised and dropped back into coverage right as your quarterback thought he saw an open receiver.

THIS!! Thank you DJLN! :thumb: REP!

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
He looks more like a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE IMO.

Not many OLB with 4.8 40's and stiff hips.

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I think you mean the one where he faked a blitz, stayed in disguised and dropped back into coverage right as your quarterback thought he saw an open receiver.

Yep, faked the blitz and dropped off about 2-3 yards from the line of scrimmage in a zone and got hit in the chest with the ball. I've seen 350 DT's make the same play.

If you want to equate that to covering a tightend across the field and making a great INT then that's your call. "That's pretty impressive coverage skillz right der." - MU Faithful

Nightfyre
04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Zone coverage ints don't count /bcd

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Zone coverage ints don't count /bcd

It's not as impressive and him covering a TE in man and getting a pick as the poster suggested he had done. They count on the books, but that one was gift wrapped and doesn't say a damn thing about his coverage skills he would need to play LOLB for us.

DJ's left nut
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
It's not as impressive and him covering a TE in man and getting a pick as the poster suggested he had done. They count on the books, but that one was gift wrapped and doesn't say a damn thing about his coverage skills he would need to play LOLB for us.

It absolutely says something about his coverage skills.

A huge part of an OLB playing effective zone coverage is his ability to disguise his intentions. It's one of Hali's biggest faults, IMO. He simply doesn't do anything to deke the QB - it's obvious if he's going to drop back.

Smith was still on a bad wheel in that game but he showed enough smarts to hide what he was up to. He also showed a perfect sense of timing to drop back into his coverage at precisely the right moment.

What you're talking about is wanting a 4-3 backer to be able to go hang with TG across the middle - well that's not what the 3-4 backers do in our scheme, at least not often. More often than not, they're not going to have 'man' responsibility so I'm more concerned with their ability to hide their intentions and drop into their zones quickly and quietly to make a play.

That play did as much to show that Smith can play in our defense as any 'sticking with the TE and stealing it' interception could have.

Just keep calling folks homers when they call you out for your standard Boomer Sooner bullshit. You guys suck as badly as KU Bball fans, you truly do.

Chiefnj2
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vSA2r8eyvXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
It absolutely says something about his coverage skills.

A huge part of an OLB playing effective zone coverage is his ability to disguise his intentions. It's one of Hali's biggest faults, IMO. He simply doesn't do anything to deke the QB - it's obvious if he's going to drop back.

Smith was still on a bad wheel in that game but he showed enough smarts to hide what he was up to. He also showed a perfect sense of timing to drop back into his coverage at precisely the right moment.

What you're talking about is wanting a 4-3 backer to be able to go hang with TG across the middle - well that's not what the 3-4 backers do in our scheme, at least not often. More often than not, they're not going to have 'man' responsibility so I'm more concerned with their ability to hide their intentions and drop into their zones quickly and quietly to make a play. In that end that play says as much about his coverage skills as it does Johnny Jolly picking off a pass for the Packers.

That play did as much to show that Smith can play in our defense as any 'sticking with the TE and stealing it' interception could have.

Just keep calling folks homers when they call you out for your standard Boomer Sooner bullshit. You guys suck as badly as KU Bball fans, you truly do.

Nobody even thinks the guy has the ability to play in a 3-4 and yet MU fans still clammer over his "athletisim" despite that fact he hasn't shown anything close to what they expected in his pro day or combine. He might turn into Jared Allen in a 4-3, but I would be shocked if he is taken by a 3-4 team. He will be asked to cover TE's and RB's out in the flats in our system and I just don't see this guy being that great at that.

Thanks man. Keep that inferiority complex going strong!

Detoxing
04-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Nobody even thinks the guy has the ability to play in a 3-4 and yet MU fans still clammer over his "athletisim" despite that fact he hasn't shown anything close to what they expected in his pro day or combine. He might turn into Jared Allen in a 4-3, but I would be shocked if he is taken by a 3-4 team.

Who's nobody? Everything I've read about him has him pegged as a tweener. And I dont need a 40 time to see that the guy plays fast. The guy has long arms, a solid, lean build and is explosive. That screams 3-4 OLB.

And I'm not sure why everyone gets caught up in "Can he cover the TE?". Honestly, he'll likely be rushing the passer most of the time anyway.

DJ's left nut
04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Nobody even thinks the guy has the ability to play in a 3-4 and yet MU fans still clammer over his "athletisim" despite that fact he hasn't shown anything close to what they expected in his pro day or combine. He might turn into Jared Allen in a 4-3, but I would be shocked if he is taken by a 3-4 team.

Like I said - he didn't show well after his injury last season.

Before the broken leg, however, nobody ever questioned his lateral agility or his burst. They were generally cited as his greatest strengths. Prior to this season, a lot of people thought his only impact position was a 3-4 OLB.

It depends entirely on whether or not you think he'll get his burst back from before the injury. His spring 40 time was a 4.60 and that absolutely shows on the tape during the Illinois game. If you think that the broken leg will never be completely right again, then he's probably going to have to be a 4-3 DE (and probably not worth a high first rounder at that point as I don't think he has enough strength to be elite). But if you think his leg will get back to where it was 2 years ago, he's absolutely capable of playing OLB in an attacking 3-4.

But hey - keep on speaking from ignorance. It suits you Okies well.

DJ's left nut
04-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Who's nobody? Everything I've read about him has him pegged as a tweener. And I dont need a 40 time to see that the guy plays fast. The guy has long arms, a solid, lean build and is explosive. That screams 3-4 OLB.

And I'm not sure why everyone gets caught up in "Can he cover the TE?". Honestly, he'll likely be rushing the passer most of the time anyway.

Because evidently the ability to cover a TE is the most critical component to a 3-4 OLB. I'll bet Travis Lewis covered a TE really well once so that became BCD's new barometer for determine the badassness of linebackers.

Fucking sooners, man.

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Toddy McShay - "Smith has a somewhat lean frame but doesn’t appear to have the lateral agility or fluid hips teams look for in 3-4 outside linebackers. But with room to add some bulk and his pass-rush ability Smith is well-equipped to play end in a 4-3 scheme. He has also shown on film the ability to slide inside and provide an interior pass rush."

INB4 Toddy MCShay is a moran - Tiger Fans.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
He's the best 3-4 prospect in the draft outside of Von Miller, and he has higher upside and more versatility than Miller.

Detoxing
04-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Toddy McShay - "Smith has a somewhat lean frame but doesn’t appear to have the lateral agility or fluid hips teams look for in 3-4 outside linebackers. But with room to add some bulk and his pass-rush ability Smith is well-equipped to play end in a 4-3 scheme. He has also shown on film the ability to slide inside and provide an interior pass rush."

INB4 Toddy MCShay is a moran - Tiger Fans.

Versatile - 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker---http://www.kffl.com/article/127319/192

Versatility: Very athletic. Was recruited as a tight end as well as a defensive end. Played all four defensive line positions at Missouri, but is not big enough to do that at the next level. Possesses the size to play defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level. Has shown the ability to stand up and play in underneath zone. Is a little stiff in the hips, but moves fluidly.---http://proprospects.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/aldon-smith-scouting-report/

He’s already adept as reading the quarterback’s eyes and should be able to smoothly make the transition to playing 3-4 outside linebacker.--http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-aldon-smith

And there are many more out there saying the same thing.

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Versatile - 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker---http://www.kffl.com/article/127319/192

Versatility: Very athletic. Was recruited as a tight end as well as a defensive end. Played all four defensive line positions at Missouri, but is not big enough to do that at the next level. Possesses the size to play defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level. Has shown the ability to stand up and play in underneath zone. Is a little stiff in the hips, but moves fluidly.---http://proprospects.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/aldon-smith-scouting-report/

He’s already adept as reading the quarterback’s eyes and should be able to smoothly make the transition to playing 3-4 outside linebacker.--http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-aldon-smith

And there are many more out there saying the same thing.

There are a ton more that don't, but I didn't want to take the time to post some no name site's take (meccadraft.com) so I went with the guy that ESPN pays to do it. Mayock also said the same thing as McShay, BUT he was only basing that on this past years performance and combine/pro day, he hadn't watched any pre injury tape. Some team will add 15lbs to the dude and maybe he turns into former St. Joseph Benton High School great Mike Rucker.

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
He's the best 3-4 prospect in the draft outside of Von Miller, and he has higher upside and more versatility than Miller.

ROFL

Knowmo hijacked Hama's account.

TRR
04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
If KC wanted their OLB's to cover TE's and play man to man, Derrick Johnson and Demorrio Williams wouldn't be playing inside.

KC's outside LB's RARELY go man to man in Romeo's defense. It's rushing the passer, dropping back in zone, or covering flats.

I'm not sold on Aldon Smith, but his lack of ability to cover has zero influence on drafting him for the KC D.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM
KC's outside LB's RARELY go man to man in Romeo's defense. It's rushing the passer, dropping back in zone, or covering flats.

Posted via Mobile Device

Romeo may want to rethink his scheme after the Ravens abused KC.

Bewbies
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Want.

Bewbies
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM
If we are going to roll with Cassel we need to build the 2000 Ravens defense. Adding another stud on the outside will help a ton.

If we can get him or Houston we'll be way better, and have a more versatile pass rush.

DJ's left nut
04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
There are a ton more that don't, but I didn't want to take the time to post some no name site's take (meccadraft.com) so I went with the guy that ESPN pays to do it. Mayock also said the same thing as McShay, BUT he was only basing that on this past years performance and combine/pro day, he hadn't watched any pre injury tape. Some team will add 15lbs to the dude and maybe he turns into former St. Joseph Benton High School great Mike Rucker.

So do you see my point yet?

The Alden Smith that most of these guys are reviewing (the talking heads, not NFL scouting depts) is the guy that played the conference season on a bum wheel. They simply aren't basing their opinions on a full look back at Alden Smith's true athletic potential.

The guy that that ended the 2009 season and started the 2010 season is a much different player than the guy that ended the 2010 season. He was absolutely capable of playing the 3-4 and was, in fact, best suited to exactly that.

But again - just keep ignoring the guy that watched him play pretty much every game of his career and still thinks he came out a year too early.

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
So do you see my point yet?

The Alden Smith that most of these guys are reviewing (the talking heads, not NFL scouting depts) is the guy that played the conference season on a bum wheel. They simply aren't basing their opinions on a full look back at Alden Smith's true athletic potential.

The guy that that ended the 2009 season and started the 2010 season is a much different player than the guy that ended the 2010 season. He was absolutely capable of playing the 3-4 and was, in fact, best suited to exactly that.

But again - just keep ignoring the guy that watched him play pretty much every game of his career and still thinks he came out a year too early.

I've seen your point. You are saying there are 3 possibilities here.

A. He recovered from his non weight bearing injury just fine and just wasn't the athlete or player he was thought as after 1 year.

B. He fully hasn't recovered from his injury yet, and that's why he didn't look that great last year or test out that well this year and may never again be the player that was projected out to be.

C. He is still not recovered yet and given some time will fulfill his potential to be a good NFL OLB.

Sounds reassuring.

In a 4-3 I might be a buyer on Mr. Smith though.

Chocolate Hog
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Is there a Mizzou player that will suck in the NFL? I'm not saying Smith will be bad because I don't think he will be but higher upside and more versatility than Miller? Stop it 5.

Chiefs=Good
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
:whackit: PBJ :whackit:

KCrockaholic
04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
If KC wanted their OLB's to cover TE's and play man to man, Derrick Johnson and Demorrio Williams wouldn't be playing inside.

I'm not sold on Aldon Smith, but his lack of ability to cover has zero influence on drafting him for the KC D.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting take. And I slightly agree, yet I also realize Derrick Johnson isn't physical enough to play OLB in a 3-4. That would mean he would have to actually take on a blocker, and that won't happen. But I completely agree that in this defense typically the OLB's either rush, play outside contain, or cover the flats, and also sometimes drop into a short zone.

We saw Mike Vrabel get beaten like a ****in drum by Todd Heap in the playoffs. He's won't be starting in 2011. Can Smith cover a guy like Heap if asked to? Nobody knows yet. Well I'm hoping Crennel is smart enough to mix his defenses and put other, but experienced and athlete players on guys like Heap. Because Jon McGraw and Mike Vrabel wont work ever again.

JimBaker488
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
What's the story on Smiths busted leg ? Did it happen during the 2010 season and are there concerns that the injury was so severe that he might not be able to recapture his origional form/athleticism ? And what was the nature of the injury: knee, simple or compound fracture, etc ?

T-post Tom
04-08-2011, 01:17 AM
percy snow approves this thread.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-08-2011, 01:25 AM
What's the story on Smiths busted leg ? Did it happen during the 2010 season and are there concerns that the injury was so severe that he might not be able to recapture his origional form/athleticism ? And what was the nature of the injury: knee, simple or compound fracture, etc ?

Couldn't be more overblown. It was a stress fracture of his tibia. He missed the Miami and Colorado game, then came back for the OU game. He wasn't 100% during the rest of the regular season, but you could see him rounding back into form in the bowl game, where he was the only DL who showed up, and got good, consistent pressure in the running and passing game both inside and outside.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Is there a Mizzou player that will suck in the NFL? I'm not saying Smith will be bad because I don't think he will be but higher upside and more versatility than Miller? Stop it 5.

Do you see me singing the praises of Tim Barnes or Chase Daniel? Hell, I despised William Moore as a prospect.

As far as versatility, Smith can play as a 3 down lineman in a 4-3 or an OLB in a 3-4. You can't say with a straight face that Von Miller could play end in a 4-3. He's way too small.

JimBaker488
04-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Some team will add 15lbs to the dude and maybe he turns into former St. Joseph Benton High School great Mike Rucker.
Hey man when did the Ruckers migrate to SouthEnd ? When I played scholastic ball in Joetown there was a Rucker on my team, but that was at Central.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Hey man when did the Ruckers migrate to SouthEnd ? When I played scholastic ball in Joetown there was a Rucker on my team, but that was at Central.

I'm not sure man. I'm pretty sure Mike started out as a Lake Contrary Bear, so you must have played with a relative. T has worked out a my gym I just opened a few times during the off season this year when he came back to visit mom and dad. He's a really down to earth guy whose ego hasn't inflated one bit since he graduated high school although his body certainly has.

TRR
04-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Interesting take. And I slightly agree, yet I also realize Derrick Johnson isn't physical enough to play OLB in a 3-4. That would mean he would have to actually take on a blocker, and that won't happen. But I completely agree that in this defense typically the OLB's either rush, play outside contain, or cover the flats, and also sometimes drop into a short zone.

We saw Mike Vrabel get beaten like a ****in drum by Todd Heap in the playoffs. He's won't be starting in 2011. Can Smith cover a guy like Heap if asked to? Nobody knows yet. Well I'm hoping Crennel is smart enough to mix his defenses and put other, but experienced and athlete players on guys like Heap. Because Jon McGraw and Mike Vrabel wont work ever again.

If you mean Vrabel jamming Heap at the line, and then releasing him to Berry or McGraw...I agree. KC's OLB's don't truly cover anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
04-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I've wondered why defenses don't carry a bigger safety who can line up as a LB to cover TE's in situations like the one KC faced against Baltimore. Or, when you face a team with a really good TE (Gates, etc.). Most LB's, especially 34 OLBs, can't run with TEs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-08-2011, 10:22 AM

He doesn't have stiff hips, you dumbass.

People like you make me see the point of forced sterilization programs.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 10:28 AM
He doesn't have stiff hips, you dumbass.

People like you make me see the point of forced sterilization programs.

Also working out was DE Aldon Smith, a potential top-15 pick who weighed in at a healthy 265 pounds, which he appeared pleased with. Like Gabbert, Smith had only two full seasons on the field at Mizzou, but he has flashed enough intriguing power and speed to get high marks from NFL scouts. Smith stood out in the DL drills, showing excellent agility for his position, although one scout in attendance thought he looked a bit stiff in the hips.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/17/gabbert-stands-out-at-mizzous-pro-day

Dicky McElephant
04-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Also working out was DE Aldon Smith, a potential top-15 pick who weighed in at a healthy 265 pounds, which he appeared pleased with. Like Gabbert, Smith had only two full seasons on the field at Mizzou, but he has flashed enough intriguing power and speed to get high marks from NFL scouts. Smith stood out in the DL drills, showing excellent agility for his position, although one scout in attendance thought he looked a bit stiff in the hips.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/17/gabbert-stands-out-at-mizzous-pro-day

Wow.....so ONE scout THOUGHT he looked a LITTLE stiff in the hips.

You're fucking reaching dude.

KCrockaholic
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
lol wow. BCD has issues.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow.....so ONE scout THOUGHT he looked a LITTLE stiff in the hips.

You're ****ing reaching dude.

I'll take his word over anyone's on CP. The homerism is strong in this thread.

Dicky McElephant
04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I'll take his word over anyone's on CP. The homerism is strong in this thread.

Yeah......you'll take the word of ONE fucking scout. Notice how it didn't say that multiple scouts thought he looked like he was stiff in the hips. For all you know....this scout could be a fucking idiot.

Go ahead though....you take that one scouts word. The one who THOUGHT he might have looked a LITTLE stiff in the hips.

Dicky McElephant
04-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh...and dipshit.....I'm not a fucking homer because I'm not a Mizzou fan. If you want to call me a homer when it comes to the Irish players....go right ahead. I can see that the kid has fucking talent....unlike you.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh...and dipshit.....I'm not a ****ing homer because I'm not a Mizzou fan. If you want to call me a homer when it comes to the Irish players....go right ahead. I can see that the kid has ****ing talent....unlike you.

Cool, send me the link to where you were at his pro day and gave an opinion on him.

Chiefnj2
04-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Draftsoup and sidelinescouting also say he is stiff.

People take criticism at a prospect so personally. It's like their mother is being attacked.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Draftsoup and sidelinescouting also say he is stiff.

People take criticism at a prospect so personally. It's like their mother is being attacked.

I think he was channeling his inner Dane ROFL

I just like him as 4-3 DE and think a team will regret tying to put him in 3-4. He has the frame to add some more weight and be a good DE at 275-280. That's all I've said from the get go. Damn, people get butt hurt easy.

Dicky McElephant
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Cool, send me the link to where you were at his pro day and gave an opinion on him.

Yeah.....because I'm not allowed to say that the guy has talent unless I was at his pro day. Right?

If anyone is the homer in this thread....its the Sooner fan.

KurtCobain
04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Yep, faked the blitz and dropped off about 2-3 yards from the line of scrimmage in a zone and got hit in the chest with the ball. I've seen 350 DT's make the same play.

If you want to equate that to covering a tightend across the field and making a great INT then that's your call. "That's pretty impressive coverage skillz right der." - MU Faithful

Name half of the 350 DTs you've seen make an INT. Now.

BigCatDaddy
04-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Name half of the 350 DTs you've seen make an INT. Now.

I don't recall all the names just the plays, but if you look at DT's profiles throughout the league you will see see they have gotten INT's in their state line. I think Jolly from GB was one that stuck in my head.

Ah, here's a Aldon Smith INT and run back for ya by Shaun Rogers. That took all of 1 minutes to think of these 2. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vks25u-r4

Dicky McElephant
04-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't recall all the names just the plays, but if you look at DT's profiles throughout the league you will see see they have gotten INT's in their state line. I think Jolly from GB was one that stuck in my head.

Ah, here's a Aldon Smith INT and run back for ya by Shaun Rogers. That took all of 1 minutes to think of these 2. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vks25u-r4

That wasn't anything like Smith's INT. Nice try though.

Dicky McElephant
04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Rogers didn't drop back into coverage. That's called the QB throwing it directly into a bunch of offensive linemen. If you want a DT INT to compare it to....then pull Raji's INT against the Bears this year. He at least dropped back into coverage.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BstxpbRzZhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CoMoChief
04-08-2011, 07:16 PM

ROFL fool

Von Dumbass
04-09-2011, 01:12 PM
• Southern Cal OT Tyron Smith is getting a lot of interest from the Cowboys at nine, but I am also hearing they like Missouri DE Aldon Smith a lot and would love to pair him opposite DeMarcus Ware off the edge.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-6551.html

Mizzou_8541
04-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I think you mean the one where he faked a blitz, stayed disguised and dropped back into coverage right as your quarterback thought he saw an open receiver.

Dayum.

Pitt Gorilla
04-09-2011, 04:27 PM
On a related note, Brad Madison is unblockable in spring ball, even moreso than Aldon Smith was.

bowener
04-09-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-6551.html

That would be disgusting.

Rain Man
04-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Anyone watching the Steve Mariucci segment with Dareus and Aldon Smith? Dareus seems like a cool guy, and Smith seems like a huge jerk. Pretty full of himself.

TRR
04-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Anyone watching the Steve Mariucci segment with Dareus and Aldon Smith? Dareus seems like a cool guy, and Smith seems like a huge jerk. Pretty full of himself.

I thought Dareus came off as very uneducated. Smith just seemed to be having fun with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimBaker48.8
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I thought Dareus came off as very uneducated. Smith just seemed to be having fun with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
What part of the country is Smith from ? Was he known to have a good work ethic @ Mizzou, or did he just get by on his ability ?

Tribal Warfare
04-10-2011, 10:30 AM
What part of the country is Smith from ? Was he known to have a good work ethic @ Mizzou, or did he just get by on his ability ?

Raytown, MO

B_Ambuehl
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
You guys are really overthinking the whole 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB thing. The only coverage any 3-4 OLB does is drop back into a short hook zone anyway. Tamba Hali was a 4-3DE and not an overly athletic one at that. Look how he's done.

On passing downs (about 70% of snaps) a 3-4 OLB will typically rush out of a 3 point stance just like a normal DE anyway. If a guy can rush the passer he can rush the passer. The rest is more semantics than it is anything worth really getting worked up about.

KCrockaholic
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
You guys are really overthinking the whole 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB thing. The only coverage any 3-4 OLB does is drop back into a short hook zone anyway. Tamba Hali was a 4-3DE and not an overly athletic one at that. Look how he's done.

On passing downs (about 70% of snaps) a 3-4 OLB will typically rush out of a 3 point stance just like a normal DE anyway. If a guy can rush the passer he can rush the passer. The rest is more semantics than it is anything worth really getting worked up about.
Yeah but here at CP we like to over analyze EVERYTHING.

DJ's left nut
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
On a related note, Brad Madison is unblockable in spring ball, even moreso than Aldon Smith was.

Wait until they start to realize that he has 2 moves (and one isn't very good).

He has a mediocre 'hump' move and then he has that little spin move of his which is pretty good, but will get him buttfucked in conference play.

Madison's a more polished rusher than Smith ever was but nowhere near the physical specimen. That said, if there's any position we could've afforded to lose a guy of Smith's caliber, it's at DE. The Tigers are pretty loaded there.

Now DT, OTOH...

DJ's left nut
04-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Yeah but here at CP we like to over analyze EVERYTHING.

Unless we're Sooners fans.

Then we like to just shut our brains off, ignore the obvious and make things up so we can piss on anyone that doesn't shout "Boomer!" every time they take a shit.

BigCatDaddy
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM

So what would you think about Jared Allen in a 3-4?

Chiefnj2
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM

You think the Chiefs sent Vrabel after the QB on the majority of passing downs??

Detoxing
04-11-2011, 02:35 PM
You think the Chiefs sent Vrabel after the QB on the majority of passing downs??

You think the Chiefs would blitz Smith more than they would Vrabel?

Chiefnj2
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
You think the Chiefs would blitz Smith more than they would Vrabel?

Perhaps a little more, but at the end of the day Romeo runs a bend but don't break scheme. Rushing 5 leaves you open to a big play.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting take. I got annoyed when Smith started prattling on about how he was a "real" athlete (as opposed to Dareus), until they finally cut him off. It didn't seem to me like he was relaxed, whereas Dareus seemed to be going with the flow of it.

I have to say, though, Smith is a heckuva physical specimen. Wow. He'd be the first guy I'd pick in any type of pickup game.

B_Ambuehl
04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
So what would you think about Jared Allen in a 3-4?

I'd rather have him rushing the passer than Vrabel, regardless of where/how he lines up. You're still going against a tackle and most d-coordinators give their outside rushers the option of getting down into a 3 pt stance on passing downs. If you go back and watch closely Allen played some 3-4 snaps with Gun here and did a pretty good job of it. He got some sacks and forced some turnovers playing hook zones. It's rare that a 4-3 end regresses wrt pass rush when switched to a 3-4, but a 4-3 end often improves when switching to a 3-4 because they're more apt to get isolated against TEs and Rbs. Aaron Kampman? Yeah ok. I say his problem was age more than anything and the 3-4 was a good excuse. He didn't exactly light it up in Jacksonville last year going back to a 4-3.

Why waste an inferior man chasing the passer when you can put him back in a short zone? Vrabel wasn't gonna get to the QB no matter where he lined up or who he was going against so I think dropping him back was more by necessity than anything.

You can get a guy like Aldon Smith and treat him like Pitt did LaMarr Woodley and S.D. did with Merriman early on...put them out there and let them pin their ears back. All the thinking can come later as they mature into the position.

milkman
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I'd rather have him rushing the passer than Vrabel, regardless of where/how he lines up. You're still going against a tackle and most d-coordinators give their outside rushers the option of getting down into a 3 pt stance on passing downs. If you go back and watch closely Allen played some 3-4 snaps with Gun here and did a pretty good job of it. He got some sacks and forced some turnovers playing hook zones. It's rare that a 4-3 end regresses wrt pass rush when switched to a 3-4, but a 4-3 end often improves when switching to a 3-4 because they're more apt to get isolated against TEs and Rbs. Aaron Kampman? Yeah ok. I say his problem was age more than anything and the 3-4 was a good excuse. He didn't exactly light it up in Jacksonville last year going back to a 4-3.

Why waste an inferior man chasing the passer when you can put him back in a short zone? Vrabel wasn't gonna get to the QB no matter where he lined up or who he was going against so I think dropping him back was more by necessity than anything.

You can get a guy like Aldon Smith and treat him like Pitt did LaMarr Woodley and S.D. did with Merriman early on...put them out there and let them pin their ears back. All the thinking can come later as they mature into the position.

Romeo Crennel has rarely sent both OLBs after the QB at the same time.

Mike Vrabel in Crennel's scheme in New England was in coverage about 65% of snaps, and when he did go after the QB, Crennel usually had Willie McGinnest drop back in coverage.

Crennel is far less agressive getting after the QB than the Boys or the Steelers in their 34s.

B_Ambuehl
04-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Then I guess we're good at that other OLB spot with Vrabel then since Romeo only uses one rusher. :)

Honestly I think you're confusing the base defense with nickel defense. All teams take either a dlineman or LB off the field in nickel looks, giving them either a 2-4-5 look or 4-2-5. Regardless, you then rush 4 guys across the front in this D that would be both OLBs on the outside (more if you're blitzing) Thats what Studebaker did when he came into the game with Hali on the opposite side. In the base look one of those OLBs usually drops back, but a rookie likely wouldn't be expected to excel much in base anyway.

Bewbies
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Even if we don't rush both OLB's all the time, we do need another pass rusher considering we only have one that's any good on the roster...

buddha
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Aldon would NEVER be asked to be a pass coverage guy in the base set. He may do it from time to time as he did at MU in a zone blitz, but that would be it. You don't draft Aldon Smith to cover TEs, and anybody who says that is a moron. You draft Aldon to rush the passer...period. He's not strong against the run, although that may come. He is exceptional at pressuring opponents' backfields.

Detoxing
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Aldon would NEVER be asked to be a pass coverage guy in the base set. He may do it from time to time as he did at MU in a zone blitz, but that would be it. You don't draft Aldon Smith to cover TEs, and anybody who says that is a moron. You draft Aldon to rush the passer...period. He's not strong against the run, although that may come. He is exceptional at pressuring opponents' backfields.

I'm pretty sure this has been addressed in this thread already, but Smith wouldn't be asked to cover TE's. Maybe once on awhile, but not much. Not sure why people keep mentioning this. When he drops into coverage, because he will drop into coverage, it's going to be in zone. Because, you know, that's what the chiefs did with Vrabel.

buddha
04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Detoxing...it's been mentioned, but there were numerous posts downgrading Smith because of his "inflexible hips" and lack of coverage skills. Did you catch those? For his size and how big he will become, he has amazing flexibility and agility.

This is all probably moot because I don't believe Aldon will slip to KC anyway.

Detoxing
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Detoxing...it's been mentioned, but there were numerous posts downgrading Smith because of his "inflexible hips" and lack of coverage skills. Did you catch those? For his size and how big he will become, he has amazing flexibility and agility.

This is all probably moot because I don't believe Aldon will slip to KC anyway.

I agree. I thought he moved very well and has the prototypical size of a 3-4 OLB. Which is why I think he'll be fine in coverage. Maybe not in his rookie season, but he'll get it.

However, I DO think he will slip to us. I don't know if we'll draft him though. There are questions about his motor and his tendency to disappear in games. Lets not forget the 2-3 "WTF?" picks that will happen before we draft, allowing him to slip further towards us.

JimBaker48.8
04-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm hearing from some Draft analyists that one of Smiths biggest flaws is that he is too upright in his pass-rush and will lose the battle of leverage/pad-level when he gets into the NFL because his athleticism won't be enough to compensate for his poor technique as it was in college. Anybody got any thoughts/comments about this criticism of Smith I've now heard more than once ?