PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama will own the shutdown

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
(Washington Times)- The White House has vowed to veto the short-term spending bill House Republicans will vote on this afternoon, taking away the safety net that could have given both sides another week to avert a government shutdown.

Without a short-term extension, the options would be narrowed to either a broad successful deal or a shutdown as of midnight Friday.

“If presented with this bill, the president will veto it,” the White House said in an official statement of policy.

The House bill would extend the shutdown deadline by another week, to April 15, while funding defense needs for the rest of this year so that troops’ paychecks would not be endangered by a shutdown.

Meanwhile, negotiations on a broader year-long bill appeared to be foundering.

orange
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Obama will own the shutdown

Big Orange disagrees.

Speaker John Boehner is warning his Republican colleagues that Democrats would “win” a government shutdown and the GOP would suffer a political catastrophe if the federal government runs out of money at the end of this week.

“The Democrats think they benefit from a government shutdown. I agree,” Boehner said during a closed-door, 90-minute meeting on House Republicans on Monday night, according to several lawmakers who attended the session.

Boehner’s opinion was quickly backed up GOP lawmakers who were serving in Congress during 1995, when former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) squared off with then-President Bill Clinton by shutting down the government twice. Reps. Don Young (Alaska), Dana Rohrabacher (Calif.) and Buck McKeon (Calif.) — a close ally — supported Boehner’s position. Dozens of other Republicans rallied to support Boehner as well, in a moment that one GOP insider called a “turning point” for House Republicans.

“My view is that a government shutdown doesn’t benefit anyone necessarily, but if one party or the other is going to get an edge, it’s probably the Democrats. I agree with the speaker there,” Rep. Steve LaTourette (R-Ohio) told POLITICO. “If you look at the government shutdown of 1995, it guaranteed President Clinton’s reelection. And that’s what this would do. If you want to cede the presidential race in 2012, you shut down the government.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52615.html#ixzz1IrWOTBLA

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Big Orange disagrees.

Speaker John Boehner is warning his Republican colleagues that Democrats would “win” a government shutdown and the GOP would suffer a political catastrophe if the federal government runs out of money at the end of this week.

“The Democrats think they benefit from a government shutdown. I agree,” Boehner said during a closed-door, 90-minute meeting on House Republicans on Monday night, according to several lawmakers who attended the session.

Boehner’s opinion was quickly backed up GOP lawmakers who were serving in Congress during 1995, when former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) squared off with then-President Bill Clinton by shutting down the government twice. Reps. Don Young (Alaska), Dana Rohrabacher (Calif.) and Buck McKeon (Calif.) — a close ally — supported Boehner’s position. Dozens of other Republicans rallied to support Boehner as well, in a moment that one GOP insider called a “turning point” for House Republicans.

“My view is that a government shutdown doesn’t benefit anyone necessarily, but if one party or the other is going to get an edge, it’s probably the Democrats. I agree with the speaker there,” Rep. Steve LaTourette (R-Ohio) told POLITICO. “If you look at the government shutdown of 1995, it guaranteed President Clinton’s reelection. And that’s what this would do. If you want to cede the presidential race in 2012, you shut down the government.”

Of course you disagree. But you do understand the President veto is the President i assume?

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Harry Reid: We Can’t Pass Troop Funding Bill Because It Bans Taxpayer Funding of Abortion in D.C.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/harry-reid-we-cant-pass-troop-funding-bill-because-it-bans-taxpayer-funding-abortion-dc_556919.html

This assclown needs to go.

mlyonsd
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Big Orange disagrees.

For a second there I thought you were changing your userid. I get it. :LOL:

orange
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Of course you disagree. But you do understand the President veto is the President i assume?

Big Orange is Boehner. The guy I quoted. I didn't give my own opinion at all, but if you want it - it's not for any expert or columnist or even politician to say, it's the voters who will ultimately decide who "owns it."

My money says they lay it on the Republicans.

vailpass
04-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Be the first thing that limp wristed prick has owned since his puppet masters danced him into office.

WV
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
My money says they lay it on the Republicans.

That's one of the sad parts of this, there is plenty of blame to go around but it's being pinned on the R's and Tea Party. If either side had any kind of reasonable budget they could get this thing passed.

You gotta love the Big O imposing his will once again though. How he continues to have supporters is beyond me.

wazu
04-07-2011, 02:04 PM
It really doesn't matter who "owns" it. What matters is who is on the right side regarding the disagreement that led to it.

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
That's one of the sad parts of this, there is plenty of blame to go around but it's being pinned on the R's and Tea Party. If either side had any kind of reasonable budget they could get this thing passed.

You gotta love the Big O imposing his will once again though. How he continues to have supporters is beyond me.

The only ones who will will buy that reasoning are Obots. Novembers election clearly said the voters want the spending to get in line and stop this train before Obama runs us off the cliff.

WV
04-07-2011, 02:14 PM
The only ones who will will buy that reasoning are Obots. Novembers election clearly said the voters want the spending to get in line and stop this train before Obama runs us off the cliff.

I'm all for getting spending n check, but some of the stuff from the right is as ridiculous as the pathetic excuse for a budget from the left. There needs to be some happy medium in there somewhere.

Stewie
04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Of course Obama will win this. He's brainwashed by the Fed that says print, print, print. $4 gas $4 milk $7 corn $13 beans. Yep, perfect plan!

orange
04-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Of course Obama will win this. He's brainwashed by the Fed that says print, print, print. $4 gas $4 milk $7 corn $13 beans. Yep, perfect plan!

$4 milk, eh? You obviously shop about as often as Big Orange.

Stewie
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
$4 milk, eh? You obviously shop about as often as Big Orange.

It's $3.96 here today. I just bought a gallon. It's regional.

Hydrae
04-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Just think of the increased sales tax revenue for the states! ;)

BucEyedPea
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
(

The House bill would extend the shutdown deadline by another week, to April 15, while funding defense needs for the rest of this year so that troops’ paychecks would not be endangered by a shutdown.

Kewl, don't even hire the IRS back! :evil:

orange
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

It's $2.60/gallon (2%) here. Same as it's been for years and years.
(Actually down a little (ca .15) from a short period last year when the major supermarkets were prepping for a possible strike.)

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
$4.00 hamburger...Obamaburgers

mlyonsd
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
It's $2.60/gallon (2%) here. Same as it's been for years and years.
(Actually down a little (ca .15) from a short period last year when the major supermarkets were prepping for a possible strike.

You know the big fat square like jugs are the gallon size.

The skinnier rectangular ones are half gallons.

$3.48/gallon here last week.

Amnorix
04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Harry Reid: We Can’t Pass Troop Funding Bill Because It Bans Taxpayer Funding of Abortion in D.C.

If Republicans are tying something like abortion into a troop funding bill, then how is Reid not right? The Republicans are attaching an obvious poison pill to soemthing that should be a no-brainer, and then they blame the Democrats for it? That's ridiculous.

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
http://future.aae.wisc.edu/data/monthly_values/by_area/301?tab=prices

http://future.aae.wisc.edu/monthly_values_graph.php?pid=301&year=2010&area=US

mikey23545
04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Big Orange disagrees.

Wow, only 6 minutes to respond...I see you're a dedicated servant of the Master...

wazu
04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
If Republicans are tying something like abortion into a troop funding bill, then how is Reid not right? The Republicans are attaching an obvious poison pill to soemthing that should be a no-brainer, and then they blame the Democrats for it? That's ridiculous.

When you say they are tying abortion to it, do you mean cutting federal funding for abortions? If so I would think that would be an obvious, first place to cut, regardless of anybody's political or moral beliefs on abortion. If, however, they are tying a new law making the practice illegal, then yeah, that's a poison pill and they are being stupid.

orange
04-07-2011, 03:01 PM
You know the big fat square like jugs are the gallon size.

The skinnier rectangular ones are half gallons.

$3.48/gallon here last week.

Denver-area residents paying more for food
By Ann Schrader
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/17/2011 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 03/17/2011 08:38:57 AM MDT

Amanda Vogel was surprised recently when she saw that the price of two of her grocery-store staples had soared.

At her local King Soopers, a 2-pound block of natural cheese went from $6.99 to $7.99, and a gallon of milk jumped from $1.99 to $2.49.

Read more: Denver-area residents paying more for food - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_17631677?source=rss#ixzz1IrxnNSEC

Simplex3
04-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm all for getting spending n check, but some of the stuff from the right is as ridiculous as the pathetic excuse for a budget from the left. There needs to be some happy medium in there somewhere.

Nothing the Republicans have suggested balances the budget anytime in the next decade. The Democrats are even further off the mark. I'd say that's the ridiculous part.

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
two weeks ago...that milk is out of date. Nitwit.

mlyonsd
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Denver-area residents paying more for food
By Ann Schrader
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/17/2011 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 03/17/2011 08:38:57 AM MDT

Amanda Vogel was surprised recently when she saw that the price of two of her grocery-store staples had soared.

At her local King Soopers, a 2-pound block of natural cheese went from $6.99 to $7.99, and a gallon of milk jumped from $1.99 to $2.49.

Read more: Denver-area residents paying more for food - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_17631677?source=rss#ixzz1IrxnNSEC

That's crazy. It's been over $3 here for at least a year. Do you guys grow your own dairy cows?

mlyonsd
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
When you say they are tying abortion to it, do you mean cutting federal funding for abortions? If so I would think that would be an obvious, first place to cut, regardless of anybody's political or moral beliefs on abortion. If, however, they are tying a new law making the practice illegal, then yeah, that's a poison pill and they are being stupid.
Boehner's office points out that the provision to ban taxpayer-funded abortions in D.C. has enjoyed long support, releasing a research dump outlining different Democratic leaders' support for the abortion funding ban in D.C. to help make the case for their one-week continuing resolution.

Obama has signed a previous spending bill into law containing the provision, and twice voted for legislation containing the ban on taxpayer-funded abortions in the Senate. Vice President Biden also cast seven votes in favor of similar measures during his time in the Senate.

Boehner's office pointed to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-Nev.) support for legislation containing the measure in the pass, as well as a 1996 vote in favor of the ban as a standalone amendment.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/154539-gop-pushes-forward-with-ban-of-taxpayer-funded-abortion-in-dc

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
That's crazy. It's been over $3 here for at least a year. Do you guys grow your own dairy cows?

Milk prices swing pretty wildly. Its not unusual as a major loss leader in the food business. The issue is the average and the trends. And the trend is moving upward.

Cave Johnson
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Be the first thing that limp wristed prick has owned since his puppet masters danced him into office.

So on top of him being an elitist, Marxist, sleeper-cell Muslim that was born in Kenya, he's also gay now?

Is that the new R attack meme?

patteeu
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Sometimes it's hard to remember that you claim to be a deficit hawk. If you can't cut public funding for abortion, what can you cut? Oh, I remember, cut defense!

ROYC75
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Same here.

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and President Barack Obama hate policy riders. They have no place in spending bills, the top Democrats have said during the latest budget debate.

Unless, of course, they’re Democratic policy riders.

“We’re happy to debate these, but on a legislative vehicle, not a spending vehicle,” Reid said Thursday.

Republicans say that’s a different tune than he was singing in 2009, when he, President Barack Obama and then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi loaded such riders onto a government-funding bill similar to the one now being negotiated. A senior Democratic aide said the two aren’t comparable, and Republican Speaker John Boehner, who is now trying to preserve riders, has blasted them in the past, too.

Among the legislative items Democrats attached to that spending measure were:

* A long-desired abortion-rights provision making birth-control pills and devices cheaper for Planned Parenthood and other family-planning clinics who provide them to students on college campuses and poor women. Originally, an effort had been made to include that rider on an emergency supplemental spending bill to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and was removed amid political pressure.

* The repeal of a school-voucher program in the District of Columbia that is close to the heart of the current speaker, John Boehner.

* A relaxation of restrictions on travel to Cuba.

* Reid’s pet project: Delaying the development of Yucca Mountain as a nuclear waste storage site through spending cuts and legislative language; and

* A provision designed to facilitate the implementation of taxpayer-funded health benefits for the same-sex partners of federal employees.

“Policy restrictions are a routine part of spending bills. Senate Democratic Leaders – and President Obama – have supported hundreds, if not thousands of them, including on CRs,” Michael Steel, a spokesman for Boehner, said in reference to a “continuing resolution” — the vehicle political leaders are using as they try to negotiate a deal to keep the government running through the end of September.

But Democrats insist that not all riders are created equal.

“There is a difference between including riders on a bill when they are supported by a majority of the Senate and just need a vehicle and including riders on a bill because a minority is trying to ram through something that would not have support on its own,” the senior Democratic aide countered. “Here, keeping the government funded should be enough.”

In 2008, Boehner objected to non-military provisions in a Democratic-written bill providing war funding.

“Knowing the troop-funding bill is popular and certain to pass, politicians in Congress tried to attach tax increases and unrelated spending increases to it - in effect, exploiting our troops by forcing them to carry unpopular political provisions they knew could not pass Congress on their own,” Boehner said at the time, according to States News Service. “Attaching these ‘riders’ is the sort of stunt that has made Americans extremely cynical about Washington. That anti-war forces in the U.S. House would employ this scheme right before Memorial Day was irresponsible at best and depraved at worst.”

While Republicans are a minority in the Senate, they hold power in the House. It’s not clear which riders would have majority support in the Senate because there has been no opportunity for the upper chamber to vote on them.

The overwhelming majority of Senate Democrats have voted for spending bills carrying a ban on subsidizing abortion in the District of Columbia that is also now included in a stopgap bill the House passed on Thursday. Forty-nine current Democratic senators have voted for spending bills with that provision in them. The language didn’t prevent Obama from voting for appropriations when he was in the Senate, nor did it stop him from signing at least one bill into law.

David Nather contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52751.html#ixzz1Is1ww0G8

ROYC75
04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
$4.00 hamburger...Obamaburgers

Soyburgers ....... you want beef, that's another $ 8.00, gotta pay for the corn to feed it, the butcher, the truckers, the stores, etc. You get the Big Picture now?

KC Dan
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
That's crazy. It's been over $3 here for at least a year. Do you guys grow your own dairy cows?Obama subsidies LMAO

ClevelandBronco
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
So on top of him being an elitist, Marxist, sleeper-cell Muslim that was born in Kenya, he's also gay now?

Is that the new R attack meme?

Are you kidding? Michelle Obama is the best reason ever to think that homosexuality is not only a choice, but a damned good choice.

ForeverChiefs58
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Milk prices swing pretty wildly. Its not unusual as a major loss leader in the food business. The issue is the average and the trends. And the trend is moving upward.

It has been high here for a while

Groceries Gobble Up Budgets

By Mark Chediak, Sentinel Staff Writer, July 14, 2007

Everyone grumbles about skyrocketing gas prices, but the cost of food -- everything from milk to bread -- has been quietly rising even higher, pinching consumers at grocery stores and in restaurants across Central Florida. Food prices are up nearly 4 percent in the past year, according to the Consumer Price Index -- and may climb even higher. A gallon of milk, for example, now costs more than $4 at many groceries in Central Florida, an increase of more than 10 percent from just two months ago. Meanwhile, the average price of a gallon of regular gas in Orlando is only 2 cents higher than a year ago. With the cost of staples such as eggs (up nearly 30 percent in the past year)

LOCOChief
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Are you kidding? Michelle Obama is the best reason ever to think that homosexuality is not only a choice, but a damned good choice.

ROFL
That's pretty good.

LiveSteam
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM

ROFL

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM

gonna make the wookie mad

wazu
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Just tweeted by Jim DeMint: "Dems to force shutdown & stop troop funding unless taxpayers forced to fund abortions in DC."

notorious
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
It really doesn't matter who "owns" it. What matters is who is on the right side regarding the disagreement that led to it.

Your heart is in the right place, but when is the last time someone did the right thing and was on the right side within the Federal Government?

wazu
04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Your heart is in the right place, but when is the last time someone did the right thing and was on the right side within the Federal Government?

Saw this recently. Think it qualifies.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rTPNycS6j9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VAChief
04-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Is that straight from the New Testament, highlighted in red perhaps?

go bowe
04-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Is that straight from the New Testament, highlighted in red perhaps?youse guys oughta have sum respect...

ok, she's a little bit ugly around the edges, but she is still the first lady of the u.s. and as such she represents us all and deserves our support... :p :p :p

Bewbies
04-09-2011, 01:08 AM
youse guys oughta have sum respect...

ok, she's a little bit ugly around the edges, but she is still the first lady of the u.s. and as such she represents us all and deserves our support... :p :p :p

I'll finally be proud of my country the day her husbands ass gets fired.