PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Abortion for Military Pay

petegz28
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
This seems to be the sticking point of getting a deal done between Dems and Repubs. Apparently the Dems are willing to watch our military go unpaid if Repubs won't fund abortion in the latest deal to extend the budget.

:thumb:

HonestChieffan
04-07-2011, 08:02 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/funny-husky.jpg

Sannyasi
04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't see what one should have to do with the other.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the morality of abortion, but can we stop pretending this is a budgetary issue? Numerous studies have been done showing that public funding of abortions saves the government money down the road in public medical and welfare expenditures. Trying to shoehorn this in as a financial issue, rather than a moral one, is just distracting us from the real tough decisions that need to be made with regards to the budget.

|Zach|
04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
This seems to be the sticking point of getting a deal done between Dems and Repubs. Apparently the Dems are willing to watch our military go unpaid if Repubs won't fund abortion in the latest deal to extend the budget.

:thumb:

Yea?

Jenson71
04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh, well it looks like Senator Casey (D) is introducing a bill to ensure military pay in the event of a shutdown.

|Zach|
04-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Oh, well it looks like Senator Casey (D) is introducing a bill to ensure military pay in the event of a shutdown.

This doesn't seem to jive with what Pete thinks the situations seems to be.

seems.

Jenson71
04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
It's just not the case the soldiers pay is lost there. So, it's a good sound bite for the Republicans and the bootlickers, though.

petegz28
04-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Good for him. That should be in everyone's proposal.

petegz28
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't see what one should have to do with the other.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the morality of abortion, but can we stop pretending this is a budgetary issue? Numerous studies have been done showing that public funding of abortions saves the government money down the road in public medical and welfare expenditures. Trying to shoehorn this in as a financial issue, rather than a moral one, is just distracting us from the real tough decisions that need to be made with regards to the budget.

While I agree to a pint, during these negotiations, I think it obtuse to say that if we cut some funding for Planned Parenthood and the EPA then the whole deal is off.

cdcox
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
While I agree to a pint, during these negotiations, I think it obtuse to say that if we cut some funding for Planned Parenthood and the EPA then the whole deal is off.

It swings both ways. Republicans won't vote for the budget without forcing through politically charged changes to the status quo. Both parties are dogshit.