PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Kos kiddies are calling for a "unified proletariat" on the 5th of November

Taco John
04-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Here's your chance to rail against the bourgeois...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/04/07/964431/-5th-of-November

chiefsnorth
04-08-2011, 09:25 AM
A spectre is hanging over America...

Sannyasi
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I don't really get the marxist rhetoric, especially when at the bottom of the article they claim the proposals were worked on together by "a far-left liberal and a far-right libertarian". That being said, I thought there were actually some good ideas in there. The parts I agreed with:

1. Term Limits - Members of Congress may serve a total of 12 years in any combination of the House and the Senate. If a member of Congress has already served 12 years then he/she is no longer eligible for re-election.

4. Members of Congress are hereby banned from campaigning directly for any office until 6 weeks prior to an election.

6. Vacation - Members of Congress and their staff are in the employ of their constituents and like their constituents will be required to work throughout the year and are allotted the same amount of vacation time as the constituents that they serve, which is currently 2 weeks with 1 week added for every 3 years of service. (The tone of this one is a little too populist for my taste, but I still like the sentiment behind it; congressmen spend way too much time doing things other than their job, in my opinion)

Only United States citizens who are registered voters may contribute funds to campaigns for eligible election participants. Contributions can ONLY be made within the registered voters district.

"The United States Federal Reserve Bank will be audited annually and the results of this audit will be made publicly available for all citizens to review."

I also thought there were some intriguing lobbying reforms, but I won't pretend to know enough to comment on their feasibility.

AndChiefs
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I don't really get the marxist rhetoric, especially when at the bottom of the article they claim the proposals were worked on together by "a far-left liberal and a far-right libertarian". That being said, I thought there were actually some good ideas in there. The parts I agreed with:

1. Term Limits - Members of Congress may serve a total of 12 years in any combination of the House and the Senate. If a member of Congress has already served 12 years then he/she is no longer eligible for re-election.

4. Members of Congress are hereby banned from campaigning directly for any office until 6 weeks prior to an election.

6. Vacation - Members of Congress and their staff are in the employ of their constituents and like their constituents will be required to work throughout the year and are allotted the same amount of vacation time as the constituents that they serve, which is currently 2 weeks with 1 week added for every 3 years of service. (The tone of this one is a little too populist for my taste, but I still like the sentiment behind it; congressmen spend way too much time doing things other than their job, in my opinion)

1. Only United States citizens who are registered voters may contribute funds to campaigns for eligible election participants. Contributions can ONLY be made within the registered voters district.

"The United States Federal Reserve Bank will be audited annually and the results of this audit will be made publicly available for all citizens to review."

I also thought there were some intriguing lobbying reforms, but I won't pretend to know enough to comment on their feasibility.

I'd replace members of congress with everyone. Otherwise you could have someone campaigning for half a year while the congressman gets only 6 weeks.

Hydrae
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Term limits are simple, don't keep voting the same idiot in every cycle. This is in the power of the voters, no law should be needed.

Sannyasi
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd replace members of congress with everyone. Otherwise you could have someone campaigning for half a year while the congressman gets only 6 weeks.

Yeah, good point. Then again, 6 weeks might not be long enough for a challenger to really get his name out there:hmmm: Some of the ideas still need some work, obviously, but I think they are interesting and worth discussing.

Except for the general strike. We can skip right over that one ROFL

AndChiefs
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, good point. Then again, 6 weeks might not be long enough for a challenger to really get his name out there:hmmm: Some of the ideas still need some work, obviously, but I think they are interesting and worth discussing.

Except for the general strike. We can skip right over that one ROFL

Oh come on. I'm sure that will be very effective.