petegz28
04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Boehner speaking now

petegz28
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
No details given....

petegz28
04-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Planned Parenthood still to be funded but both sides agreed to have it voted on in both the House and Senate.

petegz28
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
$40b in cuts. Sperate votes in the senate to repeal funding for health care and planned parenthood funding.

Obama speaking now....and right off the bat he says we are a democracy. :facepalm: lol

HonestChieffan
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Lame. Obama looks and sounds bad. Spinning the fact the cuts are good? Shiiiiiiit. I got a letter from .....gag me.

petegz28
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Obama yesterday: I won't sign a short term budget deal

Obam today: I am signing a short term budget deal

LMAO

HonestChieffan
04-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Ch 5 cut him off. sweet.

petegz28
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
If $50b (give or take) of cuts out of a $3 trillion budget is historic I am nervous.

Reid is claiming it is $78.5 billion, reporters are saying $38.5 billion. Even if it was $100 billion it is a drop of water in the ocean of debt.

ROYC75
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Obama yesterday: I won't sign a short term budget deal

Obam today: I am signing a short term budget deal

LMAO

He hits reverse and crashes more than a group of bumper cars at a carnival can.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Imagine that...only retards are surprised. Just sayin'. Heh. :rolleyes:

petegz28
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM

Do you get paid for sucking cock or do you just slut it out for free?? Just asking. :rolleyes:

ROYC75
04-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Surprised ? No, I knew one of them would cave in, just didn't know which one would. But I like how Obo claimed he wouldn't sign any short gap bill, looks like he has to to get to the final one, if they come to terms on the final one.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you get paid for sucking cock or do you just slut it out for free?? Just asking. :rolleyes:

I can't hear you...your choking on Tea-party schlong is making your messages indiscernible. Just sayin'...

petegz28
04-08-2011, 11:08 PM
I can't hear you...your choking on Tea-party schlong is making your messages indiscernible. Just sayin'...

Good come back, Kotter....you're slipping in your old age

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Good come back, Kotter....you're slipping in your old age

You git what you give...you ain't worth anything better. Just sayin'. Heh.

Joe Seahawk
04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Kotter, why are you such a douche?

Just sayin heh..

petegz28
04-08-2011, 11:11 PM
You git what you give...you ain't worth anything better. Just sayin'. Heh.

Damn, dude, you are worse off than I thought. Geritol in your medicine cabinet?

petegz28
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Kotter, why are you such a douche?

Just sayin heh..

It's the senility. It's getting worse.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
It's the senility. It's getting worse.

:spock:

LMAO

wazu
04-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Okay, gonna go ahead and say that the GOP won this. They'll get credit for being relentless on cutting spending, which is exactly what the American people want, but won't take the black eye associated with a shutdown. They are clearly doing what they were hired to do.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Okay, gonna go ahead and say that the GOP won this. They'll get credit for being relentless on cutting spending, which is exactly what the American people want, but won't take the black eye associated with a shutdown. They are clearly doing what they were hired to do.

Dittos, Rush!

LMAO

suzzer99
04-08-2011, 11:51 PM

If he economy keeps improving, the handful of swing voters in OH and FL who decide the fate of the free world every 4 years will re-elect Obama. If the economy tanks, he's out. No party is going to dominate Congress, and Obama has veto power.

So basically none of this means a hill of beans.

alnorth
04-08-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm fine with this. Lets have the budget war in an election year.

Also a side note to the GOP: give up on abortion. Please, just give up. You lost.

The abortion battle is permanently, irrevocably, forever lost. Make peace with that fact and move on, planned parenthood is not a hill worth fighting for. All you'll accomplish is lose a lot of mushy moderate votes who may have otherwise voted for your fiscal responsibility message but were repulsed by stupid unimportant social issues.

suzzer99
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
But the evangelicals...

wazu
04-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Also a side note to the GOP: give up on abortion. Please, just give up. You lost.

The abortion battle is permanently, irrevocably, forever lost. Make peace with that fact and move on, planned parenthood is not a hill worth fighting for. All you'll accomplish is lose a lot of mushy moderate votes who may have otherwise voted for your fiscal responsibility message but were repulsed by stupid unimportant social issues.

Agree with all of this. And I'm staunchly pro-life. Democracy has spoken, here. Do NOT die on a hill over this anymore.

petegz28
04-08-2011, 11:57 PM

I agree with that. I have long said the Right should take abortion off the table outside of federal funding. I do think there is a fight to be had on that particular instance.

wazu
04-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, and, by the way, the Dems learned awhile back not to die on a hill about gun control. A debate they clearly lost in this country, right or wrong. When it's over, it's over.

Bewbies
04-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Listening to Harry Reid speak of cutting the budget in a good way after talking about Republicans wanting to deprive women of cancer screenings and all the other gobbly gook we heard this week is hilarious.

Having another budget fight in an election year is a bad, bad thing for D's in the current environment though.

Sannyasi
04-09-2011, 12:06 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljd84alB1Q1qznj5do1_500.jpg

patteeu
04-09-2011, 12:23 AM

Even the most pro-abortion deficit hawk should be screaming for the end of subsidies to planned parenthood. The non-essential nature of the expenditure alone should move it close to the front of the line for cuts regardless of the position one takes on abortion.

patteeu
04-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Let it be remembered that democrats were dragged to this compromise kicking and screaming over even the most minor of cuts. They were on the side of greater spending and Republicans were on the side of deeper cuts.

This is so characteristic of the two parties that it should go without saying, but there are many who are confused about this issue and don't remember that Republicans were for less spending even in cases where they passed profligate spending measures like the prescription drug entitlement and NCLB. With the exception of defense, democrats are on the side of more spending in almost every instance. During my lifetime, Republicans have always been the party of less spending, even when they couldn't control themselves during the Bush years.

go bowe
04-09-2011, 12:30 AM
It's the senility. It's getting worse.hey, whippersnapper...

don't you be knocking senility now...

you're gonna get old one day too... :skip:

wazu
04-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Even the most pro-abortion deficit hawk should be screaming for the end of subsidies to planned parenthood. The non-essential nature of the expenditure alone should move it close to the front of the line for cuts regardless of the position one takes on abortion.

Yes, but in this case it wasn't over federal funding. It was local funding of D.C. abortions that for some reason was being mixed in with a far-reaching, federal negotiation. Dems decided to play hardball because they saw that it was pretty much the only fight they could win.

petegz28
04-09-2011, 12:31 AM
hey, whippersnapper...

don't you be knocking senility now...

you're gonna get old one day too... :skip:

I'm 39 going on 38. I refuse to conform.

wazu
04-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Let it be remembered that democrats were dragged to this compromise kicking and screaming over even the most minor of cuts. They were on the side of greater spending and Republicans were on the side of deeper cuts.

This is so characteristic of the two parties that it should go without saying, but there are many who are confused about this issue and don't remember that Republicans were for less spending even in cases where they passed profligate spending measures like the prescription drug entitlement and NCLB. With the exception of defense, democrats are on the side of more spending in almost every instance. During my lifetime, Republicans have always been the party of less spending, even when they couldn't control themselves during the Bush years.

Well said. Democrats defend the indefensible. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY with an ounce of sense can defend their policies or philosophies. They are almost cartoonish in how amazingly and consistently wrong they are.

2bikemike
04-09-2011, 12:34 AM

This, I don't really give a rip about the abortion issue. What I do have a problem with is my tax dollars supporting it. But then again I have a problem with tax dollars supporting Public Transportation as well.

go bowe
04-09-2011, 12:35 AM

The abortion battle is permanently, irrevocably, forever lost. Make peace with that fact and move on, planned parenthood is not a hill worth fighting for. All you'll accomplish is lose a lot of mushy moderate votes who may have otherwise voted for your fiscal responsibility message but were repulsed by stupid unimportant social issues.i don't know that i'd describe myself as a mushy moderate, but abortion and gay rights are very important to me...

i want to vote for fiscal responsibility but anti-abortion and anti-gay rights candidates won't get my vote (unless gore or kerry run again)...

Bewbies
04-09-2011, 12:58 AM
This, I don't really give a rip about the abortion issue. What I do have a problem with is my tax dollars supporting it. But then again I have a problem with tax dollars supporting Public Transportation as well.

If we're honest there's very little our tax dollars pay for that we support anyway. And that's people from all sides of the isle.

wazu
04-09-2011, 12:59 AM

Dittos, Rush!

LMAO

By the way, nice drive by here. Don't weigh in with any content. Rely on smileys. They speak your mind better than words ever could.

Bewbies
04-09-2011, 12:59 AM

This is a little overboard, but you would imagine if he doesn't go for (and get) HUGE (as in more than 1% of the deficit LMAO) cuts next year he's toast.

SNR
04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
By the way, nice drive by here. Don't weigh in with any content. Rely on smileys. They speak your mind better than words ever could. Heh.
FYP

Bewbies
04-09-2011, 01:07 AM
FYP

Dittos. :thumb: :toast: :moon: Heh?

wazu
04-09-2011, 01:18 AM
FYP

I don't get it. Just saying.

BIG_DADDY
04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
FUCK

Taco John
04-09-2011, 04:58 AM

I have no intentions of ever giving up on the abortion debate. There is a threshold in which a fetus crosses over from being a cell clump to a human being with rights, and that point isn't 3 seconds before it comes down a birth canal. I will happily vote and support politics that protect the rights of the innocent who can't speak for themselves.

I don't care about the politics of it, and who it will push away and repulse. I'm repulsed by murder, and that's what is happening when you kill a baby in the womb that has crossed the threshold of humanity. I'll happily fight in their favor until my dying day and feel good about it, even in setbacks. This is a life and death issue, and just cutting bait on it because mushy moderates are permissive on the matter doesn't appeal to me.

BigChiefFan
04-09-2011, 07:14 AM
It's all a big ruse anyway. Tell the masses that services will be taken away if they don't comply like good little sheep and accept tax increases. We don't owe them shit. It's THEIR DEBT, not the taxpayers. PIF, bitches.

mlyonsd
04-09-2011, 08:16 AM
The really good fireworks will come when it will be necessary to vote on raising the debt ceiling.

dirk digler
04-09-2011, 08:49 AM
That is good news and I am glad the adults showed up to get a deal done. Everybody compromised that is the way it is supposed to work. Good job on all sides.

wazu
04-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I have no intentions of ever giving up on the abortion debate. There is a threshold in which a fetus crosses over from being a cell clump to a human being with rights, and that point isn't 3 seconds before it comes down a birth canal. I will happily vote and support politics that protect the rights of the innocent who can't speak for themselves.

I don't care about the politics of it, and who it will push away and repulse. I'm repulsed by murder, and that's what is happening when you kill a baby in the womb that has crossed the threshold of humanity. I'll happily fight in their favor until my dying day and feel good about it, even in setbacks. This is a life and death issue, and just cutting bait on it because mushy moderates are permissive on the matter doesn't appeal to me.

Okay, I agree with your point and believe there should be battles waged on the issue, but does tying it to budget legislation and other things really make sense? The GOP could have been fighting for deeper cuts, instead they let this thing become another abortion discussion which they backed off on anyway.

patteeu
04-09-2011, 09:54 AM
It's all a big ruse anyway. Tell the masses that services will be taken away if they don't comply like good little sheep and accept tax increases. We don't owe them shit. It's THEIR DEBT, not the taxpayers. PIF, bitches.

wazu
04-09-2011, 10:13 AM
That is good news and I am glad the adults showed up to get a deal done. Everybody compromised that is the way it is supposed to work. Good job on all sides.

Let's not get too crazy. The Republicans offered a plan that was a drop in the bucket compared to what is really needed. The Democrats fought to the death to keep them from even getting that drop. They compromised on half a drop. Freaking yay.

Mizzou_8541
04-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Oh I get it. You are comparing the Tea Party to a penis. Clever.

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 10:33 AM

That's right. As usual, these are NOT actual cuts. These are cuts in projected spending.
Look at the date for when the budget gets balanced —2040. As if that will ever happen when new people get elected.

I got a Campaign for Liberty email warning me about Boehner and other alleged Republican leadership were conspiring behind the scenes to settle. Boehner, Ryan are all sell-outs as well as the sheep that "baaa" over them. Meanwhile Obamacare continues to be written in with billions of dollars—ALL of which could have been cut. Kudos for Michelle Bachman promising to not vote for it.

When you look at this in context to the national debt there are no cuts because the debt continues to rise. Oh well we have the Fed to monetarize it all. Then there will be a rinse and repeat.

From that April 1 email:
Recent reports indicate that House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Vice President Joe Biden are scheming behind closed doors to cut a deal to keep government spending money it does not have when the current continuing resolution expires on April 8th.

This "compromise" would nick spending by $33 billion, barely 1% of our budget and 2% of our deficit.

Republicans were not elected to nibble around the edges in a desperate attempt to keep the government open for business so they can "save face."

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Me like this post!!! :thumb:

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Oh I get it. You are comparing the Tea Party to a penis. Clever.

Clearly he has lost the debate...and has for awhile.

HonestChieffan
04-09-2011, 10:53 AM
By JOHN BRESNAHAN & JAKE SHERMAN | 4/9/11 2:35 AM EDT

They gathered in HC-5 all week talking — sometimes complaining loudly — about where the party was headed in the budget crisis. Many said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) didn’t share enough information. Others were peeved he wasn’t pushing for deep enough cuts. Some were ready for a government shutdown.

And on Friday night, Boehner himself was unsure what would happen. Halfway through a closed-door meeting of House Republicans, an aide approached Boehner, slipped him a piece a paper, which he read and quickly pocketed.

He then stepped to the podium, and announced what everyone had been waiting for.

“We have a deal,” the Ohio Republican said around 10:30 p.m.

And with that, Boehner had something more — a defining moment in his speakership and a chance to set aside questions about his ability to manage an unwieldy caucus of conservatives, at least for now.

The 61-year-old, swept into the speaker’s chair during last November’s GOP landslide, faced down two Democrats — Barack Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) — and answered doubts from the conservative movement about whether he was a true believer.

His colleagues stood and cheered at his announcement of a deal, knowing Boehner secured more than $38.5 billion in cuts, a far higher figure than many of them expected just days before. Boehner still has to get the votes next week for the long-term budget deal, and he’s got a huge sales job ahead on raising the debt limit, not to mention debating the entire 2012 budget.

“It’s a big deal. It shows a great deal of leadership,” said Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R-Mich.), a Boehner ally. “It’s a big win for the speaker.”

In a larger sense, Boehner has achieved more than just a short-term budget victory — in his first three months as speaker, he’s helped turn the entire Washington dialogue into a debate about the size and scope of government. He started the year by getting rid of earmarks, he’s pushing through some of the deepest spending cuts in American history, and he’ll now try to get most of the GOP Conference on board with Rep. Paul Ryan’s fiscal 2012 budget — one of the most audacious long-term spending plans in recent memory.

All this came together from a politician who was kicked out of leadership 12 years ago and came to the speaker’s job with serious question marks from the right about how he would go about dealmaking with a Democratic president while corralling the 87-strong group of GOP freshmen.

There were only a few wayward critics in the wee hours of Saturday morning — Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) criticized the deal, as well as Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), who chairs the conservative Republican Study Committee. One tea party leader, Judson Phillips, the founder of Tea Party Nation, tweeted Friday that Boehner is “selling us out” and he threatened to put up a primary candidate against Boehner.

But several lawmakers and aides noted that when things get heated, Boehner’s demeanor stayed unshakably even. Asked whether he was optimistic as the budget talks stretched into Friday night, Boehner said, “You know me, I was born with the glass half full.”

Boehner also benefited from continuity of message: he said all along that he didn’t want to shut down the government, and he didn’t. He said $33 billion in cuts was too little, despite Obama and Reid saying he had agreed to that number only to renege, and in the final deal he scored nearly $6 billion more in reductions than that. Boehner said policy riders would have to be a part of a final package, and indeed they were.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52853.html#ixzz1J2e7OoDV

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 11:01 AM
frauds

kcfanXIII
04-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Our government is less responsible then a college freshman with a new credit card. They live in a one bedroom house and their children sleep in the same bed, but they have a new 52" flat screen and an escalade sitting on 24s sitting in the driveway. At some point in time they will try to pay off the debt using cheeseburgers or sexual favors. I just hope they are held responsible when the government collapses under th weight of a debt so high it sounds like a made up number.

patteeu
04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
That's right. As usual, these are NOT actual cuts. These are cuts in projected spending.
Look at the date for when the budget gets balanced —2040. As if that will ever happen when new people get elected.

I got a Campaign for Liberty email warning me about Boehner and other alleged Republican leadership were conspiring behind the scenes to settle. Boehner, Ryan are all sell-outs as well as the sheep that "baaa" over them. Meanwhile Obamacare continues to be written in with billions of dollars—ALL of which could have been cut. Kudos for Michelle Bachman promising to not vote for it.

When you look at this in context to the national debt there are no cuts because the debt continues to rise. Oh well we have the Fed to monetarize it all. Then there will be a rinse and repeat.

From that April 1 email:

You've really got a screw loose, lady. Blaming Boehner of being a sell-out for settling when Republicans only control 1/3 of the legislative apparatus? It does no good to be an absolutist when it will get you nowhere except voted out of office in the next election. Republicans who want to shrink the size of government need to bring the lowest-common-denominator moderates with them or they won't be in a position to do anything but watch from the sidelines after they get kicked out of office. The difference between the "compromise" and the "hard line" position in this standoff was trivial. The important thing was to build credibility with the non-fringe and I think they've succeeded on that effort.

BIG_DADDY
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Rats

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I see pat likes to address the air.

patteeu
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I see pat likes to address the air.

I'm completed with the knowledge that you read me.

HonestChieffan
04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Even Rand "second coming" Paul was giving props to the speaker...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/04/08/sen_rand_paul_proud_of_house_speaker_boehner.html

patteeu
04-09-2011, 11:50 AM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/04/08/sen_rand_paul_proud_of_house_speaker_boehner.html

Oh my. Rand Paul is another sellout. How disappointing. ;)

Amnorix
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Republican leadership by and large knows this, but they pay lip service to the abortion lobby because it's part of their fanatical core constituency. Every once in a while they bring it up to fight the good fight, but they always cave on it in the end.

I truly and honestly believe that repealing Roe v. Wade and throwing the abortion issue completely wide open would be a disaster for Republicans.

Amnorix
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM

What you don't seem to understand is that the majority, by no slim margin, of Americans disagree with your position. Fight for if you wish, but if it's a hill you're going to die on over, then die you will.

Amnorix
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Taxpayers pay the debt, and failure to pay the debt would result in a REALLY bad economic situation here and around the world. You say it's someone else's problem, but that's pretty short-sighted.

Saul Good
04-09-2011, 03:29 PM
What you don't seem to understand is that the majority, by no slim margin, of Americans disagree with your position. Fight for if you wish, but if it's a hill you're going to die on over, then die you will.

That's interesting. (I'll cede that this poll is 2 years old, but it's the newest major survey I've seen, and the trend is pro-life. Anything newer would likely only be more pro-life.)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/more-americans-pro-life-than-pro-choice-first-time.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll, conducted May 7-10, finds 51% of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42% "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 03:54 PM
As of 2005 I've read that the trend is toward pro-life whereas it hovered back and forth between the two sides just a few points apart. The SC has decided though.

What would it take to reverse? Perhaps a case that brings to light new or more evidence that it is a human life.
Certainly not a president....and only "maybe" his SC choices.

Although, I do feel it belongs with the states to decide this, the SC is where these things have headed. It would take a case that touches on science involving human life. The type of case I could see would be one where medical technology operates on a fetus while outside, or even inside the womb, should that even be the case and there's a medical error leading to fetal ( human) death. Would it be human when outside or during surgery but not once the surgery is done and host's body is closed up? That kind of thing.

BucEyedPea
04-09-2011, 03:56 PM

He has to watch his Ps and Qs after that nasty remark about Gingrich.

HonestChieffan
04-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Budget Deal Guarantees Senate Vote on Repeal of Obama Health Care Law
Published April 09, 2011 | FoxNews.com

When the GOP-led House voted in January to repeal President Obama's health care law, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he wouldn't even take up the measure in his chamber and he scorned Republicans for wasting time on "symbolic votes."
But after Congress struck a last-minute budget deal Friday night to avert a government shutdown, Reid will have to eat his words.

The deal that funds the government through the end of September and cuts $38.5 billion from current spending levels also guarantees a debate and vote in the Senate on legislation that would repeal the president's signature on the domestic initiative that Republicans derisively call "Obamacare."

The deal also requires several studies that will force the Obama administration to disclose the full impact of the law's mandates, including a study on the cost of premiums; an audit of all the waivers given to businesses and unions that can't meet the new annual coverage limits; and a report on all of the contractors who have been hired to implement the law and the cost of those contracts to taxpayers.

While the repeal legislation is expected to fail, it will put Senate Democrats in an awkward position because they'll have to defend a law that polls show is still unpopular. And their votes will come ahead of next year's presidential election when Republicans will be trying to win control of the upper chamber.

Senate Democrats in conservative states like Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Claire MacCaskill of Missouri and Ben Nelson of Nebraska, who are all facing tough re-election bids next year, cannot be excited about the prospect of restating their position on the law. During last fall's midterm elections, many Democrats distanced themselves from the law as Republicans campaigned against it.

But some Republican lawmakers weren't impressed with what appeared to be a GOP coup.

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., told Fox News Saturday that it's "good" that the Senate will vote on health care repeal along with defunding Planned Parenthood.
But she added, "We all know that those bills are not going to pass. It is merely to put their vote on the record."

"For the Democrats, they are not ashamed to vote against 'Obamacare' because they all voted for it," she said. "So I don't think that is a big win by any stretch of the imagination."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/09/budget-deal-guarantees-senate-vote-repeal-obama-health-care-law/#ixzz1J4eJc9Jz

vailpass
04-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Do you have figures for this? I don't have data one way or the other but it doesn't seem as though it is as one sided as you portay?

Saul Good
04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Do you have figures for this? I don't have data one way or the other but it doesn't seem as though it is as one sided as you portay?

See post 69.

Mr. Kotter
04-10-2011, 09:25 PM

You need to "diversify" your sources of information. Amnorix is right; as usual. Just sayin'.

Mr. Kotter
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
You've really got a screw loose, lady. Blaming Boehner of being a sell-out for settling when Republicans only control 1/3 of the legislative apparatus? It does no good to be an absolutist when it will get you nowhere except voted out of office in the next election. Republicans who want to shrink the size of government need to bring the lowest-common-denominator moderates with them or they won't be in a position to do anything but watch from the sidelines after they get kicked out of office. The difference between the "compromise" and the "hard line" position in this standoff was trivial. The important thing was to build credibility with the non-fringe and I think they've succeeded on that effort.

And they have failed...miserably. Which is why you and she will be soul-mates, into the next decade....heh.