PDA

View Full Version : Life Hypothetical situation: You are a cop

Bump
04-09-2011, 11:16 AM
You are all by yourself, away from any camera and you pull up to a broken down car to check it out. There is nobody in that car and you parked on the other side of the street so that the camera in your car does not capture you.

In this car, you find 10 pounds of the finest quality of marijuana and $10,000 cash in a duffel bag.

You are going to have to call this in. But since you are alone and no camera is pointed on you. What do you say to the next officer who arrives to the scene?

Dave Lane
04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey dude whazzup!

Buck
04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
"Hey I found this $10,000 and 10 lbs of pot, log it into evidence."

Bump
04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I would skim off of the top, but not get too greedy.

Mr. Laz
04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
if you have to ask then you shouldn't be a cop.

Dunit35
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
"Hey I found this $10,000 and 10 lbs of pot, log it into evidence."

Right on. Just finished my 30 page research paper over misconduct. With the right paperwork, your department will recieve all or a majority of that cash anyways.

Bump
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM

true, but I bet a there are cops who do this and live happily ever after.

crazycoffey
04-09-2011, 11:39 AM
true, but I bet a there are cops who do this and live happily ever after.

I'm sure that's true, but there are also power tripping stupid cops that give the rest bad names.

To me it wouldn't be worth the risk of being caught to steal a few grand, hell not worth it if it were 10 times the amount. I'd man up and start taking photos before anyone else could be tempted...

Dave Lane
04-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm sure that's true, but there are also power tripping stupid cops that give the rest bad names.

To me it wouldn't be worth the risk of being caught to steal a few grand, hell not worth it if it were 10 times the amount. I'd man up and start taking photos before anyone else could be tempted...

I'd probably do that to but damn , I guess its why I'm not a cop. Course theres about 6,000 others reasons I wouldn't want to be one.

Slainte
04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
What is, "Doing the right thing when no-one is watching?"...

crazycoffey
04-09-2011, 11:45 AM

I guess it's what you ask if you're a person who doesn't aways do the right thing? :shrug:

alnorth
04-09-2011, 11:51 AM
If I were a cop, I'm not going to risk getting fired, be permanently unable to work in the field I trained for again, and possibly go to jail for a lousy $10k and some dope.

trndobrd
04-09-2011, 12:00 PM
If the amount isn't enough to buy a beach front villa in South America and spend the rest of my life sailing a yacht, it really wouldn't be a temptation. On the other hand, if that kind of money was involved and didn't turn up as evidence, the owners would probably come looking for it and Internal Affairs would be the least of my worries.

alnorth
04-09-2011, 12:04 PM
If the amount isn't enough to buy a beach front villa in South America and spend the rest of my life sailing a yacht, it really wouldn't be a temptation. On the other hand, if that kind of money was involved and didn't turn up as evidence, the owners would probably come looking for it and Internal Affairs would be the least of my worries.

No kidding. If the amount ever did get high enough to theoretically be worth it, I still probably wouldn't do it because I enjoy breathing, and my body doesn't really need several small holes added to it.

BIG_DADDY
04-09-2011, 12:04 PM
If I were a cop, I'm not going to risk getting fired, be permanently unable to work in the field I trained for again, and possibly go to jail for a lousy $10k and some dope.

I thought you were in Japan working on the nuclear reactor because it pays top dollar and you said it was safe.

alnorth
04-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I thought you were in Japan working on the nuclear reactor because it pays top dollar and you said it was safe.

If I were trained to do that work and the money was good, I wouldn't hesitate. That situation is just one big pile of ignorant media-whipped hysteria.

Bump
04-09-2011, 12:10 PM
If I were trained to do that work and the money was good, I wouldn't hesitate. That situation is just one big pile of ignorant media-whipped hysteria.

tell that to the workers who are guaranteed to die because they are selflessly trying to fix it.

and if ANYTHING, the media would be forced to say everything is 100% OKIE DOKIE

not the other way around buddy.

alnorth
04-09-2011, 12:12 PM
tell that to the workers who are guaranteed to die because they are selflessly trying to fix it.

Guaranteed to die, my ass. The maximum permitted dose in Japan, even after they have raised it, leads to a slightly increased (around 5-10%) risk of cancer in the next 10-30 years.

cdcox
04-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Any cop that would do this is a worthless human being and should be thrown into a wood chipper.

You are in the position of public trust.
You are paid through tax dollars.
You have no respect for the law or any person.
You are a sociopath.

shirtsleeve
04-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Any cop that would do this is a worthless human being and should be thrown into a wood chipper.

You are a sociopath.

Yup. I hope the dope and money are a plant to fish out dirty cops.

BCD
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I keep the 10 Gs and surrender the weed.

BCD
04-09-2011, 01:22 PM

You are a sociopath.
Death for stealing from a drug dealer? Seriously?:spock:

MIAdragon
04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
"You are a cop" - Id kill myself/

Bambi
04-09-2011, 01:31 PM
"You are a cop" - Id kill myself/

ditto

KurtCobain
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
It is a great bust. Regardless of what's wrong or right, if you're a cop and you want to be the best, you want to get great busts. You want to be proud that you recovered that, cops aren't criminals, or shouldn't be.

BCD
04-09-2011, 01:41 PM
It is a great bust. Regardless of what's wrong or right, if you're a cop and you want to be the best, you want to get great busts. You want to be proud that you recovered that, cops aren't criminals, or shouldn't be.I agree.
I have no desire to be a cop, that's why I'm keeping the money :)

3rd&48ers
04-09-2011, 01:44 PM

We have a winner....

I have never in my life seen so many people on one forum so consumed with money in my whole life.....

Geez people, it's only green paper.

cdcox
04-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Death for stealing from a drug dealer? Seriously?:spock:

You are stealing your wages and the cash from the public. Once you as a public official become in possession of the cash, it is public property. Assuming a position of trust and responsibility under false pretenses. It's a big FU to every tax payer. If you feel that way about everyone else, you are a sociopath and your life has no value.

BCD
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
We have a winner....

I have never in my life seen so many people on one forum so consumed with money in my whole life.....

Geez people, it's only green paper.
The paper isn't green. :)

And, technically, its not paper.

3rd&48ers
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
The paper isn't green. :)

And, technically, its not paper.

Some sort of vinyl weave stuff

acesn8s
04-09-2011, 01:51 PM
What do you say to the next officer who arrives to the scene?Dude! I could so use some donuts and coffee right now. I have a serious case of cotton mouth and munchies. Here is some cash, run down to Krispy Kreme and hook me up. I am in no condition to drive. :evil:

BCD
04-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Some sort of vinyl weave stuff
Its cotton. Seriously.

3rd&48ers
04-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Its cotton. Seriously.

Coins are usually made of copper and another element, such as zinc or nickel. Currency paper is composed of 25 percent linen and 75 percent cotton. Red and blue synthetic fibers of various lengths are distributed evenly throughout the paper. Before World War I these fibers were made of silk.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_money_made_of#ixzz1J3e4YA5A

Rain Man
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
next question: same situation, but two attractive women are in the back seat and they have no record and they're scared to death and say they'll do anything - ANYTHING - to keep from getting arrested.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Easy, take the money/drugs and GTFO of there!

shirtsleeve
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
next question: same situation, but two attractive women are in the back seat and they have no record and they're scared to death and say they'll do anything - ANYTHING - to keep from getting arrested.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cue the pr0n music...

boom chick-aaaa.

oh and edit: I'd turn the cruiser so the guys at the station can watch and be jealous.

Rain Man
04-09-2011, 02:53 PM
upping the ante: you know that they're too pretty for jail and that they'll come out traumatized, so it's kind of socially responsible to give them another option.
Posted via Mobile Device

trndobrd
04-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

GREAT BUST!, GOOD BUST! or Not a bad Bust?

shirtsleeve
04-09-2011, 03:05 PM
upping the ante: you know that they're too pretty for jail and that they'll come out traumatized, so it's kind of socially responsible to give them another option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Now I'm sexting the threesome to my buddies with my cell phone! :hump:

kysirsoze
04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
GREAT BUST!, GOOD BUST! or Not a bad Bust?

LMAO. Rep

Bump
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
a lot of honest folk here.

BIG_DADDY
04-09-2011, 11:17 PM
If I was a cop (which I would never be) I would do my best to serve the people of my community which would not include stealing.

BossChief
04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I probably wouldn't think for more than a half second about doing anything more than the right thing.

For all I know, that money was stolen from a bank in another state and is being looked for by the FBI...how would that look if I put that in my account in that situation?...then to add into the situation, Im supposed to contemplate taking a few pounds of weed? really?

ummm, no.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Shoot the hostage.

HMc
04-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I probably wouldn't think for more than a half second about doing anything more than the right thing.

For all I know, that money was stolen from a bank in another state and is being looked for by the FBI...how would that look if I put that in my account in that situation?...then to add into the situation, Im supposed to contemplate taking a few pounds of weed? really?

ummm, no.

god. even if you've never contemplated this type of situation, surely you realise that there are ways of converting the potentially dirty cash without putting it into your own friggen bank account?

acesn8s
04-10-2011, 12:42 AM
god. even if you've never contemplated this type of situation, surely you realise that there are ways of converting the potentially dirty cash without putting it into your own friggen bank account?Right! Do you think all cops really like doughnuts? The shops are fronts for laundering money.

KcMizzou
04-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I picked the first option. At heart, I'm Lawful Good.

Not that I wouldn't be tempted.

MahiMike
04-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Keep the cash - leave the pot.

burt
04-10-2011, 07:55 AM
If I take the Police force income to be an honest cop, I am gonna be an honest cop.

3rd&48ers
04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
It's one thing to be a scumbag drug dealer but it's 10 times worse to be a scumbag cop arresting people for the same shit you are doing yourself...

I think any cop convicted of anything should get mandatory double maximum sentence as the rest of the public.

Simplex3
04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
With the right paperwork, your department will recieve all or a majority of that cash anyways.

Which, by the way, is freaking insane and only encourages corrupt cops.

crazycoffey
04-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Which, by the way, is freaking insane and only encourages corrupt cops.

wait, what? So, because I know the department can get the money, I might as well take it for myself?

Mr. Laz
04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
The very definition of being a being a cop imo.

You become a cop to do the right thing.

Otherwise, what's the point? Do something else.

scott free
04-10-2011, 11:02 AM

This.

Bugeater
04-10-2011, 11:11 AM
These days, in just about any line of work, you can NEVER assume no one is watching you.

Chiefs Rool
04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I would do the right thing and turn it all in. Eventually the crap that corrupt cops do will come back to haunt them and I bet that prisoners don't treat ex-cops all that great.

DeepPurple
04-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Last month we had 17 Baltimore police arrested and another 14 suspended, it all involved $300 per car kickback from a garage for every car they had towed to their shop. They say one cop collected as much as $14,000 in kickbacks. Now they face big time fines and jail time.

They got caught because there are 13 legitimate towing companies that pay a $500 a year license fee to have exclusive rights to tow vehicles in the city. This outfit didn't pay anyone but the cops and they were getting all the business. I'm surprised it took them two years to get caught when it takes away from the livelihood of other businesses.

http://sharetv.org/images/the_wire-show.jpg

Dunit35
04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I would do the right thing and turn it all in. Eventually the crap that corrupt cops do will come back to haunt them and I bet that prisoners don't treat ex-cops all that great.

Yeah, they usually house them seperate from the rest.

We had a former cop housed in jail here, set to go to prison. He was scared for his life.

Okie_Apparition
04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Call a tow truck & let them sort it out.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Last month we had 17 Baltimore police arrested and another 14 suspended, it all involved $300 per car kickback from a garage for every car they had towed to their shop. They say one cop collected as much as $14,000 in kickbacks. Now they face big time fines and jail time.

They got caught because there are 13 legitimate towing companies that pay a $500 a year license fee to have exclusive rights to tow vehicles in the city. This outfit didn't pay anyone but the cops and they were getting all the business. I'm surprised it took them two years to get caught when it takes away from the livelihood of other businesses.

http://sharetv.org/images/the_wire-show.jpg

When you put it in perspective, it's even more stupid. These guys are facing jail time for $14,000 or even less.

Most of the time, this type of corruption happens because there's a lack of leadership at the top to set a culture of ethics, or the leadership tolerates and protects corruption because "they're one of ours". That's what we're seeing in Adams County, Colorado, right now, which has to be one of the most corrupt governments in the country. The people at the top were protecting the wrongdoers, and in some cases it's emerging that they had their own corruption going on at the same time, so it has been a green light for anyone who wanted to act outside ethics.

cardken
04-10-2011, 04:27 PM

this is pretty naive. A lot of stuff happens out there and sometimes good people make surprising choices, till you been there, doing that job for that little and factor in for how long.

3rd&48ers
04-10-2011, 04:30 PM
this is pretty naive. A lot of stuff happens out there and sometimes good people make surprising choices, till you been there, doing that job for that little and factor in for how long.

Bullshit, they know what the job pays... If you can't live on what it pays, go to school for something else.

cardken
04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Bullshit, they know what the job pays... If you can't live on what it pays, go to school for something else.

Walk in their shoes not the clouds.

cardken
04-10-2011, 04:38 PM

You are a sociopath.

like about 70% of our elected politicians.

3rd&48ers
04-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Walk in their shoes not the clouds.

As I said before, any cop that is convicted of breaking the law on the things he is arresting for should get double the sentence.

cardken
04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
As I said before, any cop that is convicted of breaking the law on the things he is arresting for should get double the sentence.

It's funny we hold the officers in this senerio to such high standards, but our elected officials who I feel really betray us through their misconduct, rarely if ever go to jail or serve any punishment other than leaving their post and little is said. And yes these people rarely get to work again in politics, but become paid pundits and the such, just a weird dynamic.

3rd&48ers
04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
It's funny we hold the officers in this senerio to such high standards, but our elected officials who I feel really betray us through their misconduct, rarely if ever go to jail or serve any punishment other than leaving their post and little is said. And yes these people rarely get to work again in politics, but become paid pundits and the such, just a weird dynamic.

Politicians are scum, we need good cops to arrest them.

listopencil
04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Walk in their shoes not the clouds. Bullshit.

Dave Lane
04-10-2011, 06:46 PM

and if ANYTHING, the media would be forced to say everything is 100% OKIE DOKIE

not the other way around buddy.

Ignorance of facts is just as bad as ignorance of grammar.

Dave Lane
04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
It's one thing to be a scumbag drug dealer but it's 10 times worse to be a scumbag cop arresting people for the same shit you are doing yourself...

I think any cop convicted of anything should get mandatory double maximum sentence as the rest of the public.

Only if he's a Raiders fan. Then its 3 shots to the head plain and simple.

Dave Lane
04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Politicians are scum, we need good cops to arrest them.

No, no, no its raiders fans jeez how stupid are you?

Simplex3
04-11-2011, 07:44 AM
wait, what? So, because I know the department can get the money, I might as well take it for myself?

The forfeiture laws encourage cops to take things they might not otherwise because if they do they can get new guns/vests/cars/etc. The system directly benefits from the seizure. The most absurd part, though, is that the cops don't even need a conviction to do it.

Jaric
04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
I smoke all 10 pounds and then use the 10k to buy enough doritos to fill a swimming pool and dive in.

Iowanian
04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Character is what you do when you think no-one else is watching.

If you have to ask, we're not the same people and I don't want you around my family.

FishingRod
04-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Most people have a price to do something dishonest. This is not a high enough (no pun intended) payoff for most of those people. Some people would steal a dollar just because they could do it, some people wouldn’t take 20 million if it didn’t belong to them and they were certain they would never get caught. I’ve known quite a few cops and I think they don’t deviate much for the average citizen regarding the strength of their moral compass.

Amnorix
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Right on. Just finished my 30 page research paper over misconduct. With the right paperwork, your department will recieve all or a majority of that cash anyways.

Yeah, and what's your share?

Welcome to reality -- at least in the old days (i.e before cameras in every car), cops frequently took that cash, or a huge percentage of it.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah, and what's your share?

Welcome to reality -- at least in the old days (i.e before cameras in every car), cops frequently took that cash, or a huge percentage of it.

Really?

Maybe I'm naive. I guess I would've assumed that the price of honor was higher than that for most cops. I agree with the earlier theory that (almost) everyone has a price, but I guess I would think it's higher than the cost of one-third of a new car for someone who would choose law enforcement. Those folks are typically the kind who follow rules rigidly, hence their career choice.

Bump
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Really?

Maybe I'm naive. I guess I would've assumed that the price of honor was higher than that for most cops. I agree with the earlier theory that (almost) everyone has a price, but I guess I would think it's higher than the cost of one-third of a new car for someone who would choose law enforcement. Those folks are typically the kind who follow rules rigidly, hence their career choice.

in a small town ya, but ever go to a big city? The cops there are not trained and don't care. They're just collecting paychecks.

KurtCobain
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah, nothing looks better than a cop running around trying to sell weed.

Amnorix
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Really?

I have some good friends who are cops, others who are lawyers dealing with the criminal justice side of things, and I hear more stories than I want to.

Cops are JUST LIKE every other profession -- some are great, some good, some bad, and some horrific. As you yourself noted, usually the right (or wrong) mentality is from the top down.

I can also say that the concept of a de minimis threshold for taking the risk doesn't apply when one is EXTREMELY confident of never being caught, or not facing any consequences if they are. One town here in Massachusetts had their EMERGENCY VEHICLES ONLY gasoline consumption at the "town pump" go down by something like 60% after they installed a camera at the self-serve, unattended, fenced in facility that was wherever -- behind the police station. Every frigging town employee was gassing up their private vehicles there and waving hi to each other, and it was considered just a "perk", despite official town policy, etc.

Another cop in a very quaint, pleasant town here in Massachusetts arrested a mother for basically being mouthy. No big deal, maybe, but her four year old is screaming/crying in the back seat as she watches Mom gets handcuffed and thrown in the back seat after the uncle/aunt/whoever showed up after the frantic cell phone call. That story was relayed to me by a friend on the same police force who arrived and tried to discreetly convince his nutcake friend that he wasn't doing a great job of serving the public at that particular moment.

Nearly every tunnel in Massachusetts is off-limits to hazmats. There is one tunnel, however, that is designed to handle an incident involving hazmats in the tunnel, in part because it leads to an area where alot of hazmats are channeled, so it's far more efficient to allow trucks carrying hazmats through that tunnel. State police officers will ticket ANY hazmat truck in that tunnel regardless of the FACT that it is perfectly legal to bring hazmats through. The truck drivers tell them that it's legal, and the cop nods and says "I hear you", as they hand them the ticket. To fight the ticket requires a half-day in court leading to, of course, a no-show by the cop and the ticket being thrown out. After enough lost days in court, all the hazmat carrying trucking companies learn that the law is nice, but losing all those half-days isn't worth it, so the tunnel is no longer used for hazmat transportation, no matter what the law is. Why? Because "F the law", the State Police don't agree with it, so that's the way it's gonna be.

And I have a dozen more stories like these. Minor to major. Anecdotal, but they all add up. My uncle, who never owned a credit card and always carried a couple hundred bucks with him at least, found dead in his apartment with ten bucks in his wallet. Please. I respect the badge, but the people behind it are human, subject to the same failings as any other random batch of humans, except these ones are given guns and have all the power in the world, pretty much.

Amnorix
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
in a small town ya, but ever go to a big city? The cops there are not trained and don't care. They're just collecting paychecks.

You sound like a small town cop. I hear about this stuff from small town cops too. The issues may be more petty, but Mayville doesn't exist.

KurtCobain
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I would never be a cop to be a criminal. I don't know, I just always felt like there's a fine line there. Dirty cops make little sense to me.

crazycoffey
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
The forfeiture laws encourage cops to take things they might not otherwise because if they do they can get new guns/vests/cars/etc. The system directly benefits from the seizure. The most absurd part, though, is that the cops don't even need a conviction to do it.

I guess I'm misunderstanding. I understand forfeiture laws, it gives money taken in drug busts an avenue to benefit law enforcement. I didn't realize people had a problem with that. But I don't understand how knowing about the forfeiture law would make a police officer feel MORE inclined to take the money for him/herself.

KurtCobain
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
And FTR, this has probably already been mentioned, but this wouldn't be a 'great bust'. A good one, but 500 lbs of weed and 1,000,000 is a Great bust.

Simplex3
04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I guess I'm misunderstanding. I understand forfeiture laws, it gives money taken in drug busts an avenue to benefit law enforcement. I didn't realize people had a problem with that. But I don't understand how knowing about the forfeiture law would make a police officer feel MORE inclined to take the money for him/herself.

The problem is the forfeiture laws don't require a conviction. You could walk into my house, say you smelled weed and I was acting suspicious, and seize anything that you wanted as ill-gotten gains. The department could sell it to buy an awning for the "don't do drugs" Mustang and there's not a thing I can do about it. Even after I'm proven innocent I don't have much recourse.

Tell me the cop who's driving the car to schools has no reason to be willing to take my stuff to upgrade his ride. He has no pressure from his superiors to take more stuff to increase the department budget.

http://www.fear.org/hadaway.html
http://www.aclu.org/blog/racial-justice/easy-money-civil-asset-forfeiture-abuse-police
http://www.rightoncrime.com/2011/01/getting-serious-about-asset-forfeiture-abuse/

crazycoffey
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
The problem is the forfeiture laws don't require a conviction. You could walk into my house, say you smelled weed and I was acting suspicious, and seize anything that you wanted as ill-gotten gains. The department could sell it to buy an awning for the "don't do drugs" Mustang and there's not a thing I can do about it. Even after I'm proven innocent I don't have much recourse.

Tell me the cop who's driving the car to schools has no reason to be willing to take my stuff to upgrade his ride. He has no pressure from his superiors to take more stuff to increase the department budget.

http://www.fear.org/hadaway.html
http://www.aclu.org/blog/racial-justice/easy-money-civil-asset-forfeiture-abuse-police
http://www.rightoncrime.com/2011/01/getting-serious-about-asset-forfeiture-abuse/

but I thought the point of the discussion was the cop taking the money for his own personal use, because "he could get away with it"....

besides, you do have a couple certain recourses to protect yourself. One, don't be a drug dealer, two if a certain law enforcement agency did make up charges just to take your big screen TV, you can sue that department and that officer. The officer level isn't the one submitting the forms to use confiscated funds from raids, it's the higher levels and city politicians, your ire would be better suited targeting them.

I guess I'm still not seeing the point you were trying to make. but that's ok, I know I'm not as smart as most of this board....

GloryDayz
04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
What car, I was in Cancun Sir???

Bump
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
And FTR, this has probably already been mentioned, but this wouldn't be a 'great bust'. A good one, but 500 lbs of weed and 1,000,000 is a Great bust.

well then picture a small town where a big bust for them is finding a half on the town's main provider.