PDA

View Full Version : Computers Astroturfing

suzzer99
04-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm curious if this concerns people here or not. Personally I find it pretty disturbing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/feb/23/need-to-protect-internet-from-astroturfing

After I wrote about online astroturfing in December, I was contacted by a whistleblower. He was part of a commercial team employed to infest internet forums and comment threads on behalf of corporate clients, promoting their causes and arguing with anyone who opposed them.

• Companies now use "persona management software", which multiplies the efforts of each astroturfer, creating the impression that there's major support for what a corporation or government is trying to do.

• This software creates all the online furniture a real person would possess: a name, email accounts, web pages and social media. In other words, it automatically generates what look like authentic profiles, making it hard to tell the difference between a virtual robot and a real commentator.

• Fake accounts can be kept updated by automatically reposting or linking to content generated elsewhere, reinforcing the impression that the account holders are real and active.

• Human astroturfers can then be assigned these "pre-aged" accounts to create a back story, suggesting that they've been busy linking and retweeting for months. No one would suspect that they came onto the scene for the first time a moment ago, for the sole purpose of attacking an article on climate science or arguing against new controls on salt in junk food.

If you read the article the Air Force stuff is really creepy.

I dunno maybe it's no big deal to anyone else. But it bothers me a lot to think there might be accounts signing up right now to be used a propaganda machines some time in the future.

People expect that TV ads or pundits are trying to sway them. On an internet forum you at least have some assumption that the others in the thread are just regular people like you, who hold an opinion. That makes this kind of subterfuge potentially a lot more effective.

Also how long until the govt has monitoring software that links up forum personas with real life people and sends them anything that sounds interesting?

shirtsleeve
04-09-2011, 01:01 PM
This is the kind of stuff that makes me wanna puke. The manipulation never stops.

And here I was hoping it was about someone using astroturf for a lawn to avoid lawn maintenance.

Jewish Rabbi
04-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I think you all need to calm down about this. It's really a good thing.

patteeu
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. I don't believe any of you are real anyway.

BCD
04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
And here I was hoping it was about someone using astroturf for a lawn to avoid lawn maintenance.

LMAO that's what I was thinking.

Chiefshrink
04-09-2011, 01:33 PM
It's what Marxist Progessive Dems do well and what Tea Party Patriots don't have to do they just respond naturally to defending their "Liberties and Freedoms".

kysirsoze
04-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Considering how often anyone's opinion is ever swayed on a message board, I'm not gonna lose too much sleep over this.

kysirsoze
04-09-2011, 01:35 PM
It's what Marxist Progessive Dems do well and what Tea Party Patriots don't have to do they just respond naturally to defending their "Liberties and Freedoms".

I FOUND ONE!!!

|Zach|
04-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Do you think the source of this article is reputable?

shirtsleeve
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
LMAO that's what I was thinking.

I've always thought that was a great idea. Paint endzones and yard markers for football season, snow blow the yard clean in winter so you still see a green lawn, no maintenance or chemicals for a perfect lawn and you could use silk flowers for ornamentals to complete the look!

Just Passin' By
04-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Also how long until the govt has monitoring software that links up forum personas with real life people and sends them anything that sounds interesting?

Since businesses have that sort of software, you can be sure that the government already has that software. The only question is when they'll start openly using it.

But, if you want to be a bit freaked out by what the government is currently doing with computers, how about your old emails? Here's a little something from Wired.com:

As the law stands now, the authorities may obtain cloud e-mail without a warrant if it is older than 180 days, thanks to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act adopted in 1986. At that time, e-mail left on a third-party server for six months was considered to be abandoned, and thus enjoyed less privacy protection. However, the law demands warrants for the authorities to seize e-mail from a person’s hard drive.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/04/fourth-amendment-email-2/

and the NYT:

Last year, for example, the Justice Department argued in court that cellphone users had given up the expectation of privacy about their location by voluntarily giving that information to carriers. In April, it argued in a federal court in Colorado that it ought to have access to some e-mails without a search warrant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/technology/10privacy.html

suzzer99
04-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Considering how often anyone's opinion is ever swayed on a message board, I'm not gonna lose too much sleep over this.

You don't have to sway someone's as opinion as much as create noise, bring something to someone's attention, secretly shill for products, make it seem like there is legitimate debate on a subject when there really isn't etc.

On another forum I hang out on I'm pretty sure we have a shill hired by the Amanda Knox PR firm.

mikey23545
04-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I would assume the software is called "Orange".

Thig Lyfe
04-09-2011, 02:31 PM

haha

Holladay
04-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Rats, I just bought 250lbs of tall fescue.

notorious
04-09-2011, 03:21 PM

This.

We discuss things on CP, but does anyone EVER change their mind?

Phobia
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Larry Johnson has one of those guys out on this forum.

kysirsoze
04-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Larry Johnson has one of those guys out on this forum.

LMAO He should get his money back.

Dave Lane
04-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Please tell me SS is one of them. It would really help make me feel better about the human race and any possible future for it.

suzzer99
04-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. I don't believe any of you are real anyway.

Except for the 2002 join date, you pretty much fit the profile. Always toe the party line. Always have a response and get the last word, even if the argument is weak. Never get too personal.

If you aren't getting paid for your work in the Politics forum, you should look into it. :p