PDA

View Full Version : Elections Mark your calendars! May 5 the Presidential Debate season kicks off!

Taco John
04-10-2011, 12:10 AM
5 commit to GOP debate in Greenville on May 5
Field of potential presidential candidates could increase later

Next month's cast of presidential candidates who will debate on a national stage in Greenville is shaping up, with the total participants increased to five Friday.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer and former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum will participate, said state GOP chairwoman Karen Floyd.

More are expected to join later.

A spokesman for former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has previously told GreenvilleOnline.com he would not participate.

The Republican candidates have coalesced more slowly than they did four years ago, when the choices were already clear by this date, and the relatively blurry picture has prompted a four-month delay to the other spring presidential debate in California.

Floyd has said there'll be no such delay in Greenville, and GOP leaders say the schedule now favors Greenville as the site where state and nationwide voters will first begin to assess their options in the Fox News debate.

The state GOP disclosed rules Friday that determine who is eligible to participate.

Candidates must register a presidential exploratory committee or campaign with the Federal Election Commission, file paperwork to be on the South Carolina ballot, pay state and federal filing fees and meet national polling criteria consistent with what was used in the 2007 debate in South Carolina, the GOP said.

“The road to the White House travels through South Carolina,” said Floyd, noting that South Carolina voters have picked the eventual GOP nominee every time since 1980.

Political watchers have said the debate helps bolster South Carolina's cherished first-in-the-South status among GOP primaries. It's scheduled for May 5 at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20110409/NEWS/304090003/5-commit-to-GOP-debate-in-Greenville-on-May-5

Guru
04-10-2011, 12:16 AM
A whole six months before it should.

wazu
04-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Sweet merciful mother. What a horrendously depressing field of candidates.

Taco John
04-10-2011, 04:27 AM
A whole six months before it should.

I disagree with that. These debates provide a great opportunity to inspect these guys from as many angles as possible. And there is a ton that the Republican party needs to work out on their way to the nomination. Super Tuesday is just around the corner in political terms.

Taco John
04-10-2011, 04:28 AM
And so it begins...
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3fM5B7709a8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3fM5B7709a8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Captain Obvious
04-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Where is Trump?

SNR
04-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Where is Trump?He obviously wants to make a grand entrance like Fred Thompson did in 2007. Just in time for him to be grounded totally out of the running a mere 3 months later

chiefsnorth
04-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Sweet merciful mother. What a horrendously depressing field of candidates.

To be fair, this is just a handful of minor candidates. No one with a serious chance has much reason to start debating this early.

Hopefully these will be televised and widely viewed and will help with the narrative regarding what's going on in Washington Forthe next few months though.

SNR
04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
To be fair, this is just a handful of minor candidates. No one with a serious chance has much reason to start debating this early.

Hopefully these will be televised and widely viewed and will help with the narrative regarding what's going on in Washington Forthe next few months though.You mean like John McCain?

Chiefshrink
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
It will be legit when Paul Ryan throws his hat in the ring.

BucEyedPea
04-10-2011, 11:24 PM
It will be legit when Paul Ryan throws his hat in the ring.

Bush IV

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
It would be cool if we had real debates but we won't so WGAF?

Bowser
04-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Bullshit artists in a bullshit spouting contest. Can't wait.

BIG_DADDY
04-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Bullshit artists in a bullshit spouting contest. Can't wait.

You're missing the most important part, moderated and controlled by a bias media. Fuck them I will watch when they have real debates.

Amnorix
04-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Side note -- on NPR's Wait Wait, a funny political game show that I unfortunately rarely catch, they referred to Obama running again as "Obama the Sequel, Change Harder"

One guy said Trump's 2012 campaign motto would be "Trump: Richer than Romney, Whiter than Huckabee, Crazier than Bachmann."

:LOL:

patteeu
04-11-2011, 07:05 AM
I was under the impression that Buddy Roemer was a democrat so I looked up his wiki page and found out that he originally was before switching parties. Surprisingly though, he switched almost 20 years ago when he was Governor of LA so apparently he's been below my radar for two decades.

patteeu
04-11-2011, 07:08 AM
I think Tim Pawlenty is the candidate most likely to benefit from this early debate, if anyone does.

oldandslow
04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
I think Tim Pawlenty is the candidate most likely to benefit from this early debate, if anyone does.

Pawlenty is the only one in that group I could possibly consider.

SNR
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Pawlenty is the only one in that group I could possibly consider.I suggest you possibly consider some other people. He's the lamest one of the bunch.

Chocolate Hog
04-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Pawlenty is the only one in that group I could possibly consider.

Why?