PDA

View Full Version : Life OCD - What's your malfunction?

Fried Meat Ball!
04-10-2011, 09:03 AM
A conversation with my wife yesterday got me thinking about all my little idiosyncrasies that are a little borderline OCD. Here's some of mine:

I count stairs. Always.
Rooms with multiple light switches have to be "right," which means up is on, down is off.
Pizza and pie slices - the first piece determines where you go. Slices can only be taken from where the original piece started (no hopscotching all over to pieces that are still attached on both sides.

Not sure about others...

What are your idiosyncrasies or OCD issues that make you, you?

HonestChieffan
04-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Beer must be cold

MIAdragon
04-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I shower at least 3-4 times a day.

trndobrd
04-10-2011, 09:09 AM
If there is an attractive woman walking by, I have an overwhelming compulsion to look at her chest.

pr_capone
04-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Things must be straight. For example, I will go to a shop that has business cards strwen on-the-job counter... Keillor arrange them all in nice even stacks.

JOhn
04-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I can't really think of any...........

OK, I only masturbate with my right hand? :shrug:

Tribal Warfare
04-10-2011, 09:26 AM
shower twice a day

I wear cologne to any outing from formal to informal.

Mr. Laz
04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Can goods etc in cabinet need to be the same thing from front to back. I hate finding a can of corn stuck behind a bunch of green beans or something.

(leftover habit from my retail days)

JOhn
04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Can goods etc in cabinet need to be the same thing from front to back. I hate finding a can of corn stuck behind a bunch of green beans or something.

(leftover habit from my retail days)

Do you rotate them? How about facing them also?:hmmm:

Simplex3
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I park in the same spot every day I go to a customer location and will choose a spot way out of the way just to make that happen. I'm not sure if it's OCD or if I just don't like having to remember where I parked.

Buck
04-10-2011, 09:56 AM
At football games I always count how many players are on the field for the Chargers during punt returns.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jayhawkerman2001
04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I count stairs and how many steps i take between cracks on the sidewalk. I get flustered if the stair count isnt 15 or 16 and i get flustered if i dont gwet 3 steps between each sidewalk crack

Mr. Laz
04-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Do you rotate them? How about facing them also?:hmmm:
don't rotate them for expiration date but i usually face them and align the labels. ROFL

Pestilence
04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
The volume on anything I'm listening to must be on the even numbers.

I always have to check multiple times a day that I still have my wallet, cell phone and keys. Sometimes 3 or 4 times in a 5 minute period.

jayhawkphog
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Count the number of times a day my wife calls for no reason at all, currently the over/under is 13.5.

crazycoffey
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
conjunction junction, what's your "mal"function

I often hear the words to a song or movie quote ad nauseam...

KCUnited
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I time it so I pace myself at the same rate when eating or drinking with someone so we finish at the same time. It's an attempt to create the perfect scenario so one of us isn't still eating while the other just sits there.

I also use my hand to wipe the rim of my glass after taking a drink so no fluid runs down the side.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 10:44 AM
If there is an attractive woman walking by, I have an overwhelming compulsion to look at her chest.

whew. i've always worried that i'm the only one who does that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs Rool
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Alarm clocks, I have 8 of them and I will spend up to a half hour to make sure they are all set properly. I can't be late for anything and won't feel comfortable enough to sleep until I have checked all of my alarm clocks enough to make sure they are set right.

Things I do have to be in multiples of 4, like when I check my alarm clock I go 1, 2, 3, 4 to check it and make sure the alarm is on. Pretty much anything else in life to, multiples of 4. If I need to scratch, 1, 2, 3, 4. Anything like that.

I quadruple check everything, when I leave my car, must sit there and make sure that my lights are off and of course, 4 times.

lol, it's not as bad as it sounds I guess and I haven't been late for anything since I was a teenager.

Dartgod
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm similar. It does not have to be even, but it cannot be a prime number.

cdcox
04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm similar. It does not have to be even, but it cannot be a prime number.

No 11?

chasedude
04-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Living with someone who is OCD and you are not is a nightmare!

You're all fucking NUTS!

Fried Meat Ball!
04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
conjunction junction, what's your "mal"function

I often hear the words to a song or movie quote ad nauseam...

I do that too. Sometimes for days on end.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Baconeater
04-10-2011, 10:58 AM
You people are weird.

CoMoChief
04-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Sign on to CP as soon as my browser opens.

Dartgod
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
No 11?
Mine goes to 12.

SPATCH
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I remove eggs from a carton at even numbered intervals, and I remove them in a manner that keeps the weight evenly distributed across the carton (the eggs are symmetrically arranged)

Donger
04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Each screw in each AC outlet and light switch must be in the vertical position, even in hotel rooms.

All clocks must be perfectly synchronized.

I must listen to a particular piece of movie during aircraft takeoff.

All bills in my wallet must be perfectly unfolded and in the correct order of denomination.

Demonpenz
04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
pray in the morning pray at night, everyday. Thank you God for this life!

Dunit35
04-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I always have to check multiple times a day that I still have my wallet, cell phone and keys. Sometimes 3 or 4 times in a 5 minute period.

My sister and I do the same thing, cept ours are odd numbers and it's with anything that has numbers.

Thermostat is always at odd numbers, dryer time is always set at odd numbers, alarm will be set at 1,3,7, or 9. never 5.

Over-Head
04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
-counting stairs as I climb them

-min I walk into a room, lean close to the wall, look up and see how stright the wall color cut in is against the ceiling, as well as check for nail pops, and bad plaster/mud finishing, especially the "butt" seams, and how many I can count on a ceiling or wall.

Simplex3
04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I remove eggs from a carton at even numbered intervals, and I remove them in a manner that keeps the weight evenly distributed across the carton (the eggs are symmetrically arranged)

Damn, I do that too.

Simplex3
04-10-2011, 11:51 AM
All bills in my wallet must be perfectly unfolded and in the correct order of denomination.

Bank-faced from smallest to largest. I do that as well.

RJ
04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Sometimes I count syllables. Forward and back.

I always wonder if I closed the garage door. I have to tell myself (aloud) that it is closed. But when I get a couple of blocks away I start to wonder.....

When I get dressed I put my socks on first. Every time. It would be very bad joo-joo to change that.

RJ
04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
-counting stairs as I climb them

-min I walk into a room, lean close to the wall, look up and see how stright the wall color cut in is against the ceiling, as well as check for nail pops, and bad plaster/mud finishing, especially the "butt" seams, and how many I can count on a ceiling or wall.

I always count the stairs. I think it's a habit I developed from measuring homes for carpet.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I've never felt so refreshingly normal.

I used to be really bad about going back and checking the door to see if it was locked, going back in to be sure the stove was off, etc. However, as opposed to my own OCD, I think it was a habit I picked up from my mother, who was (and probably still is) really big on doing that multiple times. At some point I decided it was ridiculous and forced myself to break the habit. I still do it occasionally when I slip up, but for the most part I just check once, tell myself it's been checked, and move on.

I probably have some OCD habits that I'm not thinking about.

OnTheWarpath58
04-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Same here.

Over-Head
04-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Yep, only they are NEVER carried in my wallet. Trick I learned from the highway, If your wallet gets lost or stolen, I still have my cash ;)

JASONSAUTO
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Yep, only they are NEVER carried in my wallet. Trick I learned from the highway, If your wallet gets lost or stolen, I still have my cash ;)

Yeah me too left front pocket. I don't even carry a wallet. License and only credit card goes in the middle of the bills.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
04-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I have an irrational need to peel off the plastic shipping film that is included on many electronics (and other products). Some people seem to not realize that you're supposed to take that off, and it bugs the hell out of me.

I've been known to covertly peel them off of others' stuff on occasion. I try not to, though, and let them live with their ugly product.

JASONSAUTO
04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I have an irrational need to peel off the plastic shipping film that is included on many electronics (and other products). Some people seem to not realize that you're supposed to take that off, and it bugs the hell out of me.

I've been known to covertly peel them off of others' stuff on occasion. I try not to, though, and let them live with their ugly product.
I still have the on the screen of my genesys scan tool that I have owned for three years. But it is a tool and would probably be torn up by now..... Same fire the sirius radio at the shop. Homestuff it comes off immediately
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM

:spock:

What a bunch of freaks.

DaFace
04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
:spock:

What a bunch of freaks.

The worst part is when people actually start wearing through the plastic and STILL don't peel it off. I was at a community center for work a while back, and their microwave had the film left on the keypad. However, they'd used it so much that the film was worn through, and was kind of brown from all of finger oils that were left on it. It was completely and utterly disgusting.

Hydrae
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM

My wife has always said that if she wants to piss me off all she will have to do is screw with the order of the money in my wallet. I put it down to many years of counting registers.

I count stairs too but only if I am taking them two at a time which I usually do.

I add numbers in my head to see if they are divisible by 3. If the individual numerals in a large number, when added to each other, equal a smaller number that is easy to see if divisible by 3, then the larger number is divisible by 3. I do this with phone numbers, gas prices, addresses, most any number series I see.

Slainte
04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Sign on to CP as soon as my browser opens.

You waste precious time. Make CP your homepage = no more signing in...

Gonzo
04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
I've always counted stairs and how many steps between cracks on a sidewalk. I'll also count floor tiles in a bathroom stall if I don't have anything to read while dropping a deuce.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Farmer
04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
My fucking wife has OCD. She has to make sure all my money is spent.

Over-Head
04-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I've always counted stairs and how many steps between cracks on a sidewalk. I'll also count floor tiles in a bathroom stall if I don't have anything to read while dropping a deuce.
Posted via Mobile Device
I won't step on side walk cracks

Fried Meat Ball!
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I count steps between cracks too. Must be a stair/sidewalk correlation.

big nasty kcnut
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I always have a set way of doing my job at work and when it disrupted its make me cranky. Unlike most folks when i'm focused on my job i have to have everything set right so when i'm done it's perfect.

Hog Farmer
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I always have a set way of doing my job at work and when it disrupted its make me cranky. Unlike most folks when i'm focused on my job i have to have everything set right so when i'm done it's perfect.

WHAT ABOUT YOUR USE OF PLURAL ???? IT"S NOT PERFECT!!!!!

Slainte
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq9gWFFf63mHY26fWRQeqJtzuV-VJyE1ipqfoq7U0brHayBMFi

Marcellus
04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Flush the toilet before I am done peeing. No idea why. Like the flush has to finish as I stop as to save time or something.

bevischief
04-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Guilty of this as well.

Saulbadguy
04-10-2011, 05:54 PM

wow - I do the same thing.

Saulbadguy
04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
The worst part is when people actually start wearing through the plastic and STILL don't peel it off. I was at a community center for work a while back, and their microwave had the film left on the keypad. However, they'd used it so much that the film was worn through, and was kind of brown from all of finger oils that were left on it. It was completely and utterly disgusting.

Oh, man. Just knowing that someone still has that film left on their phone or something irritates the hell out of me.

ExtremeChief
04-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Flush before done urinating too... like I'm in a hurry or something.
Sort money in my wallet as was mentioned earlier. It's just easier to find that way though and don't consider it OCD.
I used to count letters in words, kind of odd or even thing. No idea why and no idea why I don't do that anymore.

Oh... you guys with alarm clock/locks/etc are weirdos.... and you are not as uncommon as you think. I've met many people who incessantly check those kinds of things over and over.

Von Dumbass
04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I eat one thing at a time and I always save the best for last. Like if I'm having steak I will eat the potato first, then the corn, and then the steak. I also don't drink anything until after I'm done eating....

Oh, and I can't take a shit without a cigarette and a magazine

DaFace
04-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Oh, man. Just knowing that someone still has that film left on their phone or something irritates the hell out of me.

I'm telling you - it's a major irritant for me. I'm a pretty logical person and don't have a lot of quirks, but man...my wife's had to talk me out of ripping it off of an acquaintance' s computer tower before.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I eat one thing at a time and I always save the best for last. Like if I'm having steak I will eat the potato first, then the corn, and then the steak. I also don't drink anything until after I'm done eating....

Oh, and I can't take a shit without a cigarette and a magazine

You should try eating fewer cigarettes and magazines.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm telling you - it's a major irritant for me. I'm a pretty logical person and don't have a lot of quirks, but man...my wife's had to talk me out of ripping it off of an acquaintance' s computer tower before.

I'm going to use that to my advantage at some point.

DaFace
04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm going to use that to my advantage at some point.

I'm pretty sure I peeled the film off of the weird little serial number plate on your door frame. Sorry about that.

Saulbadguy
04-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Years ago, I berated a friend for leaving the plastic film on her cell phone screen. She said "It's like a second chance for it", in case it fell or something.

Thinking about that seems to deaden the irritation.

Simplex3
04-11-2011, 07:20 AM
I eat one thing at a time and I always save the best for last.

I know a lady who goes the exact opposite way; always eats the part she likes the best first. Her reasoning is that way the thing she's eating now is always her favorite thing on the plate.

Amnorix
04-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Each screw in each AC outlet and light switch must be in the vertical position, even in hotel rooms.

You're weird.

All clocks must be perfectly synchronized.

Completely nuts.

I must listen to a particular piece of movie during aircraft takeoff.

The Bonkers Brit.

I do this too. Lower denominations in front, higher in the back, all right side up and with the President facing the same direction (forward, of course).

:D

luv
04-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Toilet paper must go over the top. If it doesn't, and I'm able to change it, regardless of where I'm at, I will.

Glasses/cups go in a cupboard open end down.

I use two towels when I shower (one to wrap my hair in and one to dry off with). When hanging them up, the end with the tag must hang in the back, the open end of the fold is on the right, and the one I use for my hair goes closest to the shower.

When hanging up clothes, shirts should be hung to where the front faces left.

I think that's most of my quirks.

blaise
04-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Similar to counting the stairs- I get a line from a song in my head and I have to try and make it so the last syllable in the line is in my head as I put my foot on the bottom or top step.
Like this morning I heard a song that says "I can tell that we are gonna be friends" I'll say a syllable in my head every time I take a step, and I try and match it up so the "friends" is on the last step. So sometimes I'll skip steps or even jump up three at the end if it means I can do it. If I go up three or four flights I just say it a few times.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Living with someone who is OCD and you are not is a nightmare!

You're all ****ing NUTS!

Mine aren't that bad... I've been married for eight years and my wife just now found out about my light switch thing.

WV
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
My watch must have a date...
I have to wear a belt if my pants have belt loops...
My shoes must match said belt...I hate when people wear brown shoes and a black belt or vice versa.

Some mentioned I have in common, light switches must be correct, TP is always over the top.

Spicy McHaggis
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
No matter what, even if I just put them on 2 minutes ago and laced them, I have to retie my cleats/spikes/shoes right before the game starts.

I've always been a bit weird about sports, track especially. I'll pal around and laugh with the guys until about one hour before my race. After that, don't mess with me, don't bother me, don't even talk to me because I'll probably just nod at you and walk away.

MOhillbilly
04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
pitbull dogs

Pestilence
04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
From when I was 14 until I was 26-27 years old.....I used to pick apart my cheeseburgers. What I mean is that I would get a burger from somewhere and I would have to eat each thing seperately. I would eat the lettuce, then the tomato, then the pickles, then the burgers and then the bun. I have no idea why I started doing it. I finally had to make myself stop because it's a pain in the ass to eat a hamburger that way when you're either in a large group or you're in a hurry.

kindra68
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Toilet paper must go over the top. If it doesn't, and I'm able to change it, regardless of where I'm at, I will.

Glasses/cups go in a cupboard open end down.

I use two towels when I shower (one to wrap my hair in and one to dry off with). When hanging them up, the end with the tag must hang in the back, the open end of the fold is on the right, and the one I use for my hair goes closest to the shower.

When hanging up clothes, shirts should be hung to where the front faces left.

I think that's most of my quirks.
Ha! I do these too.
I have changed the tp at friends houses many times.
The towel I use for my hair is white and the one I dry off with is sky blue.
Along with left facing shirts, they are color coordinated.
Like many of ya’ll I have to have my money facing one way, bills from smallest to largest
All doors, drawers and cabinets have to be closed.
But most of my ocd’s are food related. I don’t like my food to touch on the plate, or be mixed together. Unless is supposed to be, like salads and soups. And when I ear soup I have to eat all the “green things” first (peas, green beans, celery) then the rest of the soup in order (onions, carrots, potatoes..)
If I make mashed potatoes for supper I HAVE to have corn.
If you are cooking and you taste off the spoon and then put it back in to the cooking pot, I may never say anything, but I will not be eating.. Even if I’m just cooking for myself I have a small ramekin that I dish out a bite in and take “my” spoon and taste it. then I adjust the pot.
I do not eat birthday cake.
I have about a million more ocd’s but I have reviled to much as it is, haha

Okie_Apparition
04-11-2011, 10:29 AM
The tainted drywall from China is doing it's job Al Davis

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Having all your clothing facing to the left isn't OCD. That's just normal efficiency.

Whoarethechefs
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I always throw exactly seven ice cubes into my glass when mixing myself a drink, dont know why , have just always done it.

Von Dumbass
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I always throw exactly seven ice cubes into my glass when mixing myself a drink, dont know why , have just always done it.

Probably have Elway-envy

The Rick
04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I have lots of 'em...

If I'm cooking something, whether it's from a recipe or just heating up something frozen like a pizza, I HAVE to follow the directions exactly as stated. My wife cooks stuff without pre-heating the oven and it drives me crazy.

If I'm wiping something, whatever I'm using to wipe with must be folded in a perfect square. Wiping off the table or counter? The towel must be folded in a square. Wiping the butts of my kids when changing a diaper? The baby wipe has to be folded in a perfect square.

Same goes for my own toilet paper usage...I'm a folder, not a snowballer.

lcarus
04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
When I walk on a sidewalk, I never step on the cracks. I always have to take two steps per unit of sidewalk (you know...for an average sidewalk). When I take an escalator, I never like to just stand there and wait. I like to walk up the steps. If someone in front of me is just standing there, it really pisses me off. Before bed, I always check the lights and ovens. Even if I know for a fact nobody used the oven all day, I'll check it anyway. Even if the oven is clearly off, I check to make sure there is no heat coming from it (or the burners on top). I'm sure there is plenty more I'm not thinking of.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Probably have Elway-envy

I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the number of Super Bowl interceptions Elway threw, but it turns out that he threw eight.

Phobia
04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I straighten pictures on walls. It's probably rude but I'll do it anywhere. I also notice building mistakes in homes and at commercial locations. I have an urge to correct each of them.

But nothing is worse than crooked tines on a fork. I cannot eat with such a utensile. I will either straighten them myself or ask for a new fork.

notorious
04-11-2011, 12:09 PM
When I build something, it has to be perfect, no matter if it going to be seen or not.

Thanks Dad!

notorious
04-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I straighten pictures on walls. It's probably rude but I'll do it anywhere. I also notice building mistakes in homes and at commercial locations. I have an urge to correct each of them.

But nothing is worse than crooked tines on a fork. I cannot eat with such a utensile. I will either straighten them myself or ask for a new fork.

All of this, especially the building mistakes part. It's unbelievable what people think they can get by with as far as work quality.

Von Dumbass
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the number of Super Bowl interceptions Elway threw, but it turns out that he threw eight.

I guess that is what happens when you have been to more Super Bowls than any QB ever.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Just out of curiosity (and to see if any of you freaks worked with but didn't know it), before the barbecue/dinner party last night I put the toilet paper rolls upside down in all of the bathrooms.

This morning, all still upside down. :thumb: