PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Painful wondering about the Chiefs:

Frankie
04-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Tom Brady was the 199th player (6th round) drafted in 2000. Before he went off the board we picked:

1- WR Sylvester Morris
2- CB William Bartee
3- DB Greg Wesley
4- RB Frank Moreau
5- RB/WR Dante Hall
5- DB Patrick Dennis
6- OG Darnell Alford

If someone in the Chiefs FO had the foresight to pick Brady,.... who knows? :(

Give me a possible scenario of what would have happened with the Chiefs and Brady? Would he have faded away on the Chiefs bench? Would he have become the TB of today? How would the Chiefs would have fared?

Look in your past-altering crystal ball and tell me.

CaliforniaChief
04-10-2011, 11:40 PM
He'd probably be our long-snapper.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't think we needed a quarterback at the time. We had Dave Krieg or somebody.

Bowser
04-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't think we needed a quarterback at the time. We had Dave Krieg or somebody.

Matt Blundin

|Zach|
04-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Frank Moreau was fun to watch.

Shaid
04-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Every team has a player they passed on that they should have taken. In this case, 31 teams passed up on him.

|Zach|
Eh, I don't think it was really offense keeping us from making things happen in those early 2000s

SNR
voyager, is that you?

Chiefspants
04-10-2011, 11:55 PM
If only we had King Carl to make such terrific drafts once again.

/Gochiefs

Easy 6
04-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Matt Blundin

I'VE GOT HIS ROOKIE CARD!

Bowser
04-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I'VE GOT HIS ROOKIE CARD!

Thast may just trump my authentic Bruce Pickens jersey. You are a true fan, sir.

Pawnmower
04-11-2011, 12:01 AM
This thread is awesome.

J Diddy
He'd probably be our long-snapper.

corner

Frankie
Every team has a player they passed on that they should have taken. In this case, 31 teams passed up on him.

True. But I'm a fan of the Chiefs and my what-if game involves them.

BIG_DADDY
04-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Dude, that sig is still killin me

Easy 6
04-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Thast may just trump my authentic Bruce Pickens jersey. You are a true fan, sir.

Bruce Pickens? i honestly dont know his name, that trumps my trump easily.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Matt Blundin

There you go. Much better prospect.

Ebolapox
04-11-2011, 12:52 AM
honestly, it's impossible to play the 'what-if' game. he was a lowly ranked prospect for a reason: he was scrawny, his arm wasn't what it is now, and he had serious issues to his game. he stepped it up, worked on his game, and put a lot of time and effort into becoming what he is now. would he have done the same with us? possibly, but I'd bet that we'd have cut him and he'd just be another guy as far as we're concerned. if you're going to play the 'what-if' game, imagine that we'd have taken dan marino instead of todd blackledge. you'd have good QB'ing to go along with killer defenses in the late 90's, we may have put more effort into offense (and hired an offensive type coach instead of schottenheimer, making cowher the gregg williams of those days--pay him huge cash to stay and keep the defense great)... we may have won a lombardi. or, maybe he'd have been an actual coke-head as a chief and flamed out of the league like many thought he would.

imperfect game, imperfect world.

Ebolapox
04-11-2011, 12:57 AM
hell... 'what-ifs' that somewhat haunt me from time to time...

what if...

1) percy snow hadn't ridden a fucking moped that one time.
2) we drafted brett favre instead of harvey williams
3) we signed reggie white in 1993 free agency
4) john elway had decided upon baseball
5) marty schottenheimer had balls and DIDN'T always choke in the playoffs
6) carl peterson didn't draft (fill in the blank) and drafted (fill in the blank) instead...
7) we hadn't lost to the dolphins in 1971 (xmas day, or was it eve?)
8) we found a successor to len dawson and hank stram continued to look like a genius (instead of us getting old quick).
9) len dawson hadn't thrown a pick in the early second half of super bowl I
10) I decided to pull out after fucking your wife. you wouldn't have the lovely children you have now, yeah? :)

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2011, 01:45 AM
hell... 'what-ifs' that somewhat haunt me from time to time...

what if...

1) percy snow hadn't ridden a fucking moped that one time.
2) we drafted brett favre instead of harvey williams
3) we signed reggie white in 1993 free agency
4) john elway had decided upon baseball
5) marty schottenheimer had balls and DIDN'T always choke in the playoffs
6) carl peterson didn't draft (fill in the blank) and drafted (fill in the blank) instead...
7) we hadn't lost to the dolphins in 1971 (xmas day, or was it eve?)
8) we found a successor to len dawson and hank stram continued to look like a genius (instead of us getting old quick).
9) len dawson hadn't thrown a pick in the early second half of super bowl I
10) I decided to pull out after fucking your wife. you wouldn't have the lovely children you have now, yeah? :)

Where's the should've drafted Warren Moon option

Ebolapox
04-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Where's the should've drafted Warren Moon option

yeah, we obviously should've drafted a qb who didn't have that great a college career and EVERYBODY ELSE PASSED ON. more important question: if you and your father apparently know so fucking much about QBs, why aren't you 'qb-whispering' in the ear of an nfl GM and making the fat cash?

are you developmentally disabled?

JohnnyV13
04-11-2011, 02:02 AM
I'll play.

If the Chiefs had drafted Tom Brady in 2000, he would have sat behind as Elvis Grbac lit it up in 2000. After Grbac's meltdown, Vermeil's hiring, Vermeil would have still gone out and traded for Trent Green.

Green would have struggled his first year, just as he did, but I suspect Brady would have showed well in camp and won the backup job (remember, Vermeil similarly spotted an untested Kurt Warner and made him the top backup).

Green, however, basically didn't miss a start until 2006. Unless someone got interested in Brady due to pre-season performances and he acquires trade value, Brady probably sits on the bench for a long time. When Green goes down in 2006, Brady finally gets his chance and lo and behold, he lights it up.

Brady wins the QB job, just as he pushed out Bledsoe in NE, even after Green returns. Even Herm can win with Brady as his QB, but Herm probably screws up just enough to waste Brady's talent and find ways to lose in the playoffs.

Herm is still probably the coach and is Marty part deux.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2011, 02:51 AM
yeah, we obviously should've drafted a qb who didn't have that great a college career and EVERYBODY ELSE PASSED ON. more important question: if you and your father apparently know so fucking much about QBs, why aren't you 'qb-whispering' in the ear of an nfl GM and making the fat cash?

are you developmentally disabled?

I don't know I freelance on that here and there, whatever strikes my fancy in that area because sometimes going full-retard isn't enough.

But, this is a woulda/coulda thread and I was just adding something to your list. Oh yeah don't forget Warner too. :D

DaWolf
04-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Gunther was fond of Elvis and his beard...

JD10367
04-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Tom Brady was the 199th player (6th round) drafted in 2000. Before he went off the board we picked:

1- WR Sylvester Morris
2- CB William Bartee
3- DB Greg Wesley
4- RB Frank Moreau
5- RB/WR Dante Hall
5- DB Patrick Dennis
6- OG Darnell Alford

If someone in the Chiefs FO had the foresight to pick Brady,.... who knows? :(

Give me a possible scenario of what would have happened with the Chiefs and Brady? Would he have faded away on the Chiefs bench? Would he have become the TB of today? How would the Chiefs would have fared?

Look in your past-altering crystal ball and tell me.

#1: The idea for this thread just came to you now? Hello? Welcome to the year 2000.

#2: Before Brady went off the board, EVERY team picked around 6 or 7 players. Including the Patriots, who took such luminaries ahead of Brady as OT Adrian Klemm, RB J.R. Redmond, OT Greg Robinson-Randall, TE Dave Stachelski, DT Jeff Marriott, and S Antwan Harris. If you said, "Who?" (six times) it's because they all quickly fizzled out of football. When it came time to draft at the 199th spot, there was a healthy debate in the Patriots war room about whether to take Tom Brady or Tim Rattay. So it's not like the Chiefs F.O. was a confederacy of dunces.

#3: Unless you also took Bill Belichick, it's hard to say.

Frankie
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I'll play.

If the Chiefs had drafted Tom Brady in 2000, he would have sat behind as Elvis Grbac lit it up in 2000. After Grbac's meltdown, Vermeil's hiring, Vermeil would have still gone out and traded for Trent Green.

Green would have struggled his first year, just as he did, but I suspect Brady would have showed well in camp and won the backup job (remember, Vermeil similarly spotted an untested Kurt Warner and made him the top backup).

Green, however, basically didn't miss a start until 2006. Unless someone got interested in Brady due to pre-season performances and he acquires trade value, Brady probably sits on the bench for a long time. When Green goes down in 2006, Brady finally gets his chance and lo and behold, he lights it up.

Brady wins the QB job, just as he pushed out Bledsoe in NE, even after Green returns. Even Herm can win with Brady as his QB, but Herm probably screws up just enough to waste Brady's talent and find ways to lose in the playoffs.

Herm is still probably the coach and is Marty part deux.
:thumb:

This is just about how I was envisioning the events following the 2000 draft.

Okie_Apparition
04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
What if Priest Holmes, Will Shields, Jarred Allen & Jamal Charles would have been first rounders?

Frankie
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
What if Priest Holmes, Will Shields, Jarred Allen & Jamal Charles would have been first rounders?

Hey start your own "what-if" thread. This one is mine.

SNR
04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Here's something more interesting to consider. If Drew Bledsoe never got injured and continued his steady level of Matt Cassel-like marginal success while never really winning much, would Tom Brady even have a career as a starting QB in the NFL? Would Belichick have realized the talent he had sitting on the bench that year? The next offseason? The season after that? Would Belichick possibly have been fired before they knew what Brady was as a QB?

Frankie
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's something more interesting to consider. If Drew Bledsoe never got injured and continued his steady level of Matt Cassel-like marginal success while never really winning much, would Tom Brady even have a career as a starting QB in the NFL? Would Belichick have realized the talent he had sitting on the bench that year? The next offseason? The season after that? Would Belichick possibly have been fired before they knew what Brady was as a QB?

Very interesting thought. But I'd say Brady's chances of being discovered where probably better in NE than in KC, given KC's history of drafting and not developing young QBs.

Frankie
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Very interesting thought. But I'd say Brady's chances of being discovered where probably better in NE than in KC, given KC's history of drafting and not developing young QBs.

I have to qualify this post with this:

Vermeil and his O coaches would have probably discovered/developed Brady but Carl Peterson would have probably overruled them in favor of yet another old vet. Later, he would probably have traded Brady for peanuts to some other team who would end up winning the SB with him. :(

Easy 6
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

100% true, Tom would've floundered on the bench. He'd have been out of the NFL years ago & would now be Giselles accountant, not her husband.