PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Applebees gets toddler drunk

Deberg_1990
04-11-2011, 08:04 AM
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/toddler-mistakenly-served-alcohol-at-applebees-20110409-rs

Toddler Mistakenly Served Alcohol at Applebee's

MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WJBK) - A big scare for an Oak Park family after their toddler was accidentally served alcohol in a kids meal at Applebee's. After a few swigs from his sippy cup, the 15-month-old boy needed a ride to the hospital.

Taylor Dill-Reese says her son, Dominic, started acting strangely after drinking what she thought was apple juice. So, she tasted it and discovered the cup contained an alcoholic margarita mix.

Click on the video player to hear what else the mother told Fox 2's Simon Shaykhet.

The incident allegedly happened at 4:30 p.m. Friday at the Applebee's on 14 Mile Rd. After being checked out by doctors, the family learned the boy's blood alcohol level was .10 -- over the legal limit for an adult driver.

"Nobody at the table ordered alcoholic drinks," said Dill-Reese. "So, he definitely shouldn't have received one."

The mom says a manager apologized to the family but didn't know what else to do. Thankfully the child is okay after being checked out at the hospital. Applebee's issued a statement calling the incident "unacceptable" and promised to work with local authorities and even conduct their own investigation.

kepp
04-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Wow, that could have ended badly.

Bill Lundberg
04-11-2011, 08:07 AM
CHA-CHING

Crush
04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Later that evening...

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/482/stewiewithuglybabyohgod.jpg

KCUnited
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost Spongebob woobie

Saulbadguy
04-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Remember folks, tip the bartender.

DMAC
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
College fund!

Lonewolf Ed
04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
If those servers would just check IDs, this sort of thing wouldn't happen!

Crush
04-11-2011, 08:26 AM
If those servers would just check IDs, this sort of thing wouldn't happen!

The kid had full-grown beard with gray hairs. Although, I do agree with you that they should have checked his ID.

bevischief
04-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost Spongebob woobie

LMAO

Coogs
04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Since when did they start serving margarita's in childs cups? Something sounds a bit off the mark here.

BCD
04-11-2011, 08:34 AM
I wasnt aware that they served Jesus Juice.

Crush
04-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Since when did they start serving margarita's in childs cups? Something sounds a bit off the mark here.

Ever since they lowered the drinking age to 1.

Lonewolf Ed
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
The kid had full-grown beard with gray hairs. Although, I do agree with you that they should have checked his ID.

I worked in a liquor store for over 20 years, and it's not how old someone looks that matters, it's how old someone actually is! :p

Coogs
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Ever since they lowered the drinking age to 1.

I see! Didn't realize that Michigan had done that. I kind of figured the bartender might have noticed he was pouring margarita's in a plastice cup with a lid and a straw, and wonderd WTF! But I guess if the drinking age is 1, then all bets are off.

KCrockaholic
04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
It's happened to me before too, many years ago at Tanner's in Olathe. I wasn't a 1 year old, but I was old enough to chug that shit before anybody else found out I was being served alcohol.

Nzoner
04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
"To hell with that pacifier I need a real nipple."

Otter
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Taylor Dill-Reese says her son, Dominic, started acting strangely after drinking what she thought was apple juice.

ROFL

...and another thing [hic] when I shit my pants it doesn't mean change me in 5 minutes, it doesn't mean 10 minutes...it means NOW! I don't have the motor skills to roll over on my stomach let a lone wipe my ass. You try laying in your own excrement for 20 minutes see how you like [hic] bitch.

Now break out those milk jugs, I'm fucking hungry!

baitism
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
This reeks of a Wendy's finger in my chili lawsuit scam.

DaFace
04-11-2011, 09:08 AM

I doubt it was a delivery mixup. My guess is that someone grabbed the margarita mix thinking it was apple juice. It's a big stretch, but they're at least close in color.

jiveturkey
04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I heard that Dane had been trying to think of a way to accomplish the same thing for years now.

Switching the apple juice seems like a no-brainer in hind site.

BIG_DADDY
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Good thing he wasn't driving.

ChiefButthurt
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
No way this happened....it's a scam. Okay so the kid is acting funny, WHY would you sample the drink?? Why would you suspect it's alcohol in the drink? SCAM.

Chiefs Rool
04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
maybe they were rude to the waiter?

Crush
04-11-2011, 10:05 AM
No way this happened....it's a scam. Okay so the kid is acting funny, WHY would you sample the drink?? Why would you suspect it's alcohol in the drink? SCAM.

Because the kid was starting to act like a belligerent drunk.

Crush
04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Joking aside, it probably is a scam.

DaFace
04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Joking aside, it probably is a scam.

That the hospital was in on?

Garcia Bronco
04-11-2011, 10:12 AM
This sounds fishy...as if the parent spiked the drink.

-King-
04-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Why would you not?

Chiefs Rool
04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
This sounds fishy...as if the parent spiked the drink.

ya, unless they pissed off the waiter and the waiter is a total idiot, it's hard to say. Those people probably brought their own sippy cup, so then they would have had to ask for some apple juice to fill it up with. The waiter probably brought out a kids cup with the drink and the mom poured it in the sippy cup.

So, the mom would have had to open the kids cup and poured it into the sippy cup without noticing any alcohol scent or that the apple juice looks strange mixed with margarita.

I think waiters have to get juices at the bar usually, so the bartender could have filled up the kids cup. But I doubt that there would be any half apple juice/half margarita concoction. It's going to be one or the other, not half and half.

Wouldn't the mother notice that it's margarita and not apple juice? It looks and smells completely different.

Either the waiter is a complete idiot and did it on purpose because he was mad at the customer, the bartender is a complete idiot and poured the drink, or the mother did it to try and get money. But the mother seemed well spoken enough and didn't seem like a piece of trash in the video.

This is a tough one folks.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
You forgot another possible explanation, chiefs rool. Perhaps the kid is a closet alcoholic and snuck the alcohol in himself. Then when he got caught, he played dumb so everyone would blame the waiter.

ClevelandBronco
04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
"To hell with that pacifier I need a real nipple."

Should have gone to Hooters.

chiefsnorth
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Ho ho, where were these places when I was a toddler?

(oof sorry this isn't about a female pedophile teacher?)

ForeverChiefs58
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
On a lighter side, I bet the kid slept good that night.

Coogs
04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Wonder if the tyke ordered it frozen or on the rocks? Salt or Sugar on the rim? :hmmm:

tooge
04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
this happened to me at a restaurant up north this weekend. I ended up with 4 redbull and vodkas in my sippy cup

notorious
04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Applebees was only trying to help.

About the only way a person could get through the day in that pile of shit known as Detroit is to have a 24/7 buzz going. They were doing this kid a favor.

Jaric
04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Meh. People used to put whiskey on babies gums when they were teething. Much ado about nothing.

Deberg_1990
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow, it happened again...this time at Olive Garden.

Toddler served sangria at Olive Garden instead of orange juice

http://www.theledger.com/article/20110414/NEWS/110419683/1002/SPORTS?Title=Lakeland-Toddler-on-National-TV-After-Being-Served-Sangria

LAKELAND | When Nikolai Berberoglu reaches legal drinking age, he probably won't remember his first sip of alcohol.

But a bartender, a few restaurant executives and millions of television viewers might.

The 2-year-old Lakeland boy sat beside his mother on national television Thursday morning as she discussed learning that her son had drunk a kiddie cup full of sangria at a Lakeland Olive Garden instead of the orange juice she ordered.

Jill VanHeest, who is pregnant with her second child, said she normally would have been reluctant to go on television.

But since learning that an Applebee's in Michigan accidentally served a 15-month-old baby a margarita in a sippy cup on April 8, she decided it was time to speak out.

"To me, that says parents need a warning and you need to reel back in the trust you give people in restaurant," she said.

VanHeest, 28, and her son appeared on the Early Show and Fox and Friends during a one-day trip to New York City on Thursday. She said it's too soon to know what her next step — legal, or otherwise — will be other than ensuring her son's health.

VanHeest ordered the juice while eating March 31 with her mother and Nikolai at the Olive Garden on U.S. 98 North. When the clear Olive Garden cup arrived, nothing appeared amiss.

Nikolai began misbehaving, and appeared to have red, dilated eyes.

About 35 minutes passed before a server took the cup back and told her the restaurant made a mistake, she said. A manager was apologetic, but offered no explanation.

"When you're here, you're family," VanHeest said. "That's your slogan. Stand beside it. Is this what you do to your family?"

She estimated her son drank 12 ounces of sangria. He was treated at Lakeland Regional Medical Center that night and will receive more evaluations.

VanHeest and her lawyer, Keith Peterson of Mulberry, say there are questions unanswered.

"How could a mistake that is so shocking with such potentially deadly consequences happen?" Peterson said.

The sangria, a mix of pineapple and orange juices with white wine, is pre-made in batches, said Rich Jeffers, an Olive Garden spokesman.

Since the incident, the restaurant makes sangria to order. The container the sangria was poured from was properly labeled, and Jeffers called the mishap human error.

Jeffers wouldn't say whether the bartender responsible still worked for the restaurant, only that the chain has "zero tolerance" for such incidents.

Hydrae
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Is there really "potential deadly consequences" in these cases? I mean, really?

Short Leash Hootie
04-15-2011, 02:32 PM
any idea where I can find a new job...

=)

Short Leash Hootie
04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I will say...

an infant child wouldn't drink booze...they'd spit it out or make the worst face in the world right away...

Bill Lundberg
04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I will say...

an infant child wouldn't drink booze...they'd spit it out or make the worst face in the world right away...

I wouldn't be so sure. One time we gave my daughter an apple juice box when she was a little over 1. An hour later she was barfing all over the car, non stop projectile. We thought it was a flu bug. Come to find out during clean up the apple juice was expired by about 4 months. Thank you McDonalds.

She drank the whole thing and I don't imagine it tasted good.

Simplex3
04-15-2011, 02:46 PM
This reeks of a Wendy's finger in my chili lawsuit scam.

It wouldn't be as hard as you think. There are lots of things in a bar that don't come in pretty manufacturer's bottles, and those are all put in plastic bottles that are nearly identical. Guess what two of those things are? The juices and the house drink mixes.

Simplex3
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
http://www3.acitydiscount.net/pics/md/acitydiscount/md_116526a.jpg

MIAdragon
04-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Happens more than you think.