PDA

View Full Version : News Indonesian River Waves

Drwbllz
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Most of you are probably from middle America and have never surfed (I'm guessing), but this find is pretty sick even if you haven't surfed:

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/25938/a+dreamlike+wave+found+in+an+indonesian+river+is+stunning+surf+world/

Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:20am PDT

A dreamlike wave found in an Indonesian river is stunning surf world
By: Chris Mauro, GrindTV.com

As discoveries of secret surf spots go, the incredible find by Rip Curl team members during a recent "Search" expedition in the jungles of Indonesia may be unrivaled.

What makes this latest wave discovery so fascinating is that it was made not on a coastline or island shore, but on a remote jungle river that gets pounded by a powerful tidal bore. But unlike other tidal bores that produce relatively small, mushy waves, this remarkable phenomenon pushes swells upstream in dream-like fashion at heights of 8 to 10 feet.

"This was our biggest score in twenty years of exploring," says Tom Curren, a former three-time world surfing champion who has been roaming the world's coastlines scouring for the proverbial perfect wave ever since winning his last world title in 1990. Because the soft-spoken champ has never been one to boast, his stories of this new spot called Seven Ghosts (named after the nearest jungle village) has his fans reeling. Interest surrounding the expedition is hitting a fever pitch as rumors of their score leaked out.

What's so stunning about this find is the wave's coffee-colored walls break from top to bottom, similar to the hollow powerful waves that peel over coral reefs. But the riverbank refraction of the primary wave sends rebound wedges perpendicular across the river, carving the secondary wave into a line of spinning peaks with cookie-cutter perfection. These mirror-reflection spinners appear choreographed, with all the symmetry of a Rockettes' leg kick, the likes of which has never be found in the ocean...at least not yet.

These are some of the first stunning images of this amazing discovery. Rip Curl plans on releasing more highlights as they ramp up for the 50th Anniversary of the Rip Curl Pro, the world's longest running professional surfing contest, set for later this month.

Bwana
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice!

http://i40.tinypic.com/15811c4.jpg

KurtCobain
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah, screw water.

bevischief
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
After watching the last season of River Monsters I will never swim again outside a swimming pool.

Drwbllz
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I couldn't live inland. I don't know how you guys do it. :)

Bwana
04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I couldn't live inland. I don't know how you gys do it. :)

To each their own, I like it.

Reerun_KC
04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Dude?

Is that out your back window?

I think I need to pack up the family and take a trip to Montana... I will bring beer!:thumb:

Bwana
04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Dude?

Is that out your back window?

I think I need to pack up the family and take a trip to Montana... I will bring beer!:thumb:

That's in an area where I fly fish, near Cooke City Montana, Gods country.

Drwbllz
04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
That's in an area where I fly fish, near Cooke City Montana, Gods country.

That's beautiful. It just wouldn't be for me (not on a permanent basis, anyway).

Mizzou_8541
04-11-2011, 08:29 PM
That's beautiful. It just wouldn't be for me (not on a permanent basis, anyway).

Where is the picture taken in your avatar?

dtebbe
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I can only imagine how much poop is floating down that river. Probably -almost- as much as is floating down the Chattahoochee (aka Chattapoopie) south of metro Atlanta.

DT

Mizzou_8541
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I can only imagine how much poop is floating down that river. Probably -almost- as much as is floating down the Chattahoochee (aka Chattapoopie) south of metro Atlanta.

DT

Funny story about Indonesia. I was in the USMC at the time...is was before ground operations had started, 2002 IIRC. My infantry unit was in Indo to conduct a joint training exercise with the Indonesian Army. Anyway, to get where we were going, we had to go on a 3 day hike, breaking brush, through the jungle to get to the training area. I don't know why we couldn't just take helo's...we had a bunch a CH-53's attached to us. Hardly anything ever maked sense in the Marine Corps, but I digress....

Anyway, we vastly underestimated the amount of water needed. By the end of day one, most everyone had ran out of water and were using our emergency iodine tabs to purify stream or river water. Our supply of iodine tabs quickly ran out, so by day three, the entire company was rather dehydrated. We finally made the call to drink the directly out of the streams and rivers.

Clearly, any idiot knows this is a HUGE mistake, but most guys didn't care. Sure enough, several hours later, the guys that drank out of the streams got some sort of e-coli poisoning. Guys were falling out with dehydration because they were sh*tting themselves so much. Some guys had to cut holes in the ass of their cammy bottoms so they could sh*t on the go. Puking everywhere. When it was all said and done, 40% percent of the company had to be medevac'd. We found out later that we were drinking water in a stream that some small village used as their sh*tter. Yummy...

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Drwbllz
04-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Where is the picture taken in your avatar?

Just outside Husayniyah, Iraq.

JOhn
04-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Is that one of the lakes off of the Beartooth highway?

Bwana
04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Is that one of the lakes off of the Beartooth highway?

It's about 10 miles back in from Cooke, off of Daisy pass. It's at the top of a mountain and you can see for miles. I guess there is still 7-8 feet of snow in that area right now.

rockymtnchief
04-14-2011, 07:08 AM
It's about 10 miles back in from Cooke, off of Daisy pass. It's at the top of a mountain and you can see for miles. I guess there is still 7-8 feet of snow in that area right now.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :D

Bwana
04-14-2011, 07:54 AM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :D

:)

It may be late August before I get a chance to ride up there this year with as much snow as they got, along with the endless winter/so called spring. Even the Bridger and Deer Creek areas up by Big Timber are seveal weeks away from being reached.

JOhn
04-14-2011, 08:02 AM

OK, now I know were you're talking:thumb:

rockymtnchief
04-14-2011, 08:07 AM

It may be late August before I get a chance to ride up there this year with as much snow as they got, along with the endless winter/so called spring. Even the Bridger and Deer Creek areas up by Big Timber are seveal weeks away from being reached.

Funny you should mention Big T, the company is making me live there instead of Livingston.

Lonewolf Ed
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Big Timber is a fun little town! I liked going to the Grand Hotel with their 1880 style saloon to drink Moose Drool Brown Ale on tap. Snow is that deep still, huh? Not surprising at all... I got sleeted on when I went on a hike on the first day of summer one time up there.

rockymtnchief
04-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Big Timber is a fun little town! I liked going to the Grand Hotel with their 1880 style saloon to drink Moose Drool Brown Ale on tap. Snow is that deep still, huh? Not surprising at all... I got sleeted on when I went on a hike on the first day of summer one time up there.

Next time you're there, hit me up. Last time I was at The Grand I had to rent a room. I had way too many micro-brews. :evil:

Bwana
04-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Funny you should mention Big T, the company is making me live there instead of Livingston.

Really? What the hell? Hey, at least you will be VERY close to some good riding, "if" the snow ever melts. Get that ATV tuned up and ready to roll. :thumb:

rockymtnchief
04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Really? What the hell? Hey, at least you will be VERY close to some good riding, "if" the snow ever melts. Get that ATV tuned up and ready to roll. :thumb:

Worked on it yesterday. Other than a tire with a slow leak, I should be ready to roll.

Bwana
04-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Worked on it yesterday. Other than a tire with a slow leak, I should be ready to roll.

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/data/79/Maxxis-BigHorn-Radial-ATV-Tire.jpg

I have Maxxis Bighorns on both of my machines and I have yet to get a leak, or flat. When I had the stock tires on, I would get at least one flat evertime I went to Cooke. These things are 8 ply and bullet proof.