PDA

View Full Version : Possible reach pick for the Chiefs at 21

SNR
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
And it's one which I wouldn't mind. In fact, I'd be very happy.

Leonard Hankerson

At first I thought the Chiefs were in a bad position to even consider him. Too high for the first and too low when the draft swings back to us in the 2nd round.

But the more I read about him and watch footage, the more I like him. The guy comes from a strong tradition of Miami WRs, he's pro-ready, and he's already been working out with Chris Carter for more than a year now. Also, he's shown steady improvement from year to year.

He had solid but not spectacular sophomore and junior seasons (missed a few games due to injury). In his senior year he exploded. Once prone to the dropsies, he really ironed out catching the ball consistently this past year.

The guy has "all-pro" written all over him. You know Todd Haley would kill for that kind of target to be paired up with DBowe on offense.

And after some consideration, I've decided I wouldn't mind if we reached on him and took him with our first round pick. He makes sense for what this team needs. Take him at 21, trade down from the first, trade up from the 2nd. Whatever. Just do what you gotta do to grab him. I like him way more than Torrey Smith or Jon Baldwin. He's firmly my #3 receiver, and I think he will translate to the pros in a way that none of these other guys can except for maybe Julio Jones. Our offense be significantly upgraded if we had a guy like him.

BigCatDaddy
04-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I didn't realize he has the speed that he does. I'm not sure why he isn't graded higher, but yeah I would be all in on him at 21 despite most him going much lower.

SNR
04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
6'3" 205 lbs. Adequate size. 40 Low: 4.36 40 High: 4.54. Good high jump.

2010 (SENIOR): Led Miami with career-high 1,156 receiving yards on a team-high 72 receptions ... Also the team leader with 13 receiving touchdowns ... His 13 receiving touchdowns set a Miami record, breaking Michael Irvin's mark of 11 set in 1986 ... In the regular-season finale vs. USF, he became just the third player in program history to record a 1,000-yard receiving season and the first to have 2,000 yards for a career and 1,000 yards in a season ... Owns single-season receiving totals in UM history with 1,156, passing Andre Johnson (2002-1,092) and Eddie Brown (1984-1,114) ... Ranked 12th in the nation in total receiving yards (1,156) and 16th in receiving yards per game (88.9) ... The ACC's leading receiver, averaging 88.9 yards per game ... Finished the season ranked second in the ACC in receptions per game (5.5) and ninth in the conference in all-purpose yards (1,156) ... Set single-game career highs in catches (9 vs. USF), yards (147 at Clemson), touchdowns (3, at Clemson) and long reception (79 yards, at Georgia Tech) ... Totaled four games with 100 or more receiving yards ... Caught passes for more than 50 yards in 12-of-13 games ... Six catches for 115 yards and two touchdowns vs. FAMU ... Caught seven balls at Ohio State for 90 yards ... Recorded seven catches for 147 yards and three touchdowns at Clemson ... Had six catches in four more games, including at Duke, at Virginia, vs. Virginia Tech and vs. Notre Dame ... Caught touchdown passes in six consecutive games from Oct. 16-Nov. 20 ... Started 11-of-13 games ... Averaged 16.1 yards per catch ... Named the ACC's Offensive Back of the Week after performance at Clemson.

Dicky McElephant
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
If there is a way that we could trade down a few spots and grab him.....I'd be happy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd take him at 21 without qualms. IMO, he's the #3 receiver in the draft.

bowener
04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I would be happy with him at 21.

DeezNutz
04-12-2011, 03:56 PM
We could do a lot worse, so I would be very fine with this pick. Good risk-reward scenario.

Tribal Warfare
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I believe a darkhorse pick would be Stephen Paea, because he has all the attributes that Pioli likes and is strong at the point of attack even though he's a 300 pound guy.
This is my suspicion since only Eric Berry was brought in for a visit/look from last years drafted players. At the the same time I believe KC will most likely select Phil Taylor as their 1st rounder.

philfree
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I have no problem with Hankerson at 21 although the trade down a few spots to make the same pick makes it more attractive.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bump
04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't sweat it if we drafted him. It's a position of extreme need.

warrior
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
And it's one which I wouldn't mind. In fact, I'd be very happy.

Leonard Hankerson

At first I thought the Chiefs were in a bad position to even consider him. Too high for the first and too low when the draft swings back to us in the 2nd round.

But the more I read about him and watch footage, the more I like him. The guy comes from a strong tradition of Miami WRs, he's pro-ready, and he's already been working out with Chris Carter for more than a year now. Also, he's shown steady improvement from year to year.

He had solid but not spectacular sophomore and junior seasons (missed a few games due to injury). In his senior year he exploded. Once prone to the dropsies, he really ironed out catching the ball consistently this past year.

The guy has "all-pro" written all over him. You know Todd Haley would kill for that kind of target to be paired up with DBowe on offense.

And after some consideration, I've decided I wouldn't mind if we reached on him and took him with our first round pick. He makes sense for what this team needs. Take him at 21, trade down from the first, trade up from the 2nd. Whatever. Just do what you gotta do to grab him. I like him way more than Torrey Smith or Jon Baldwin. He's firmly my #3 receiver, and I think he will translate to the pros in a way that none of these other guys can except for maybe Julio Jones. Our offense be significantly upgraded if we had a guy like him.

One of my favorite players to. If we trade down a few spots pick up extra 3rd and take Hankerson I'd be happy. :thumb:

TRR
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
After watching all of last season, it is hard to argue that another starting WR isn't an extreme need.

Other than Bowe (still inconsistent) and Moeaki (will he take the next step?) The receiving game has nobody.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dicky McElephant
04-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I believe a darkhorse pick would be Stephen Paea, because he has all the attributes that Pioli likes and is strong at the point of attack even though he's a 300 pound guy.
This is my suspicion since only Eric Berry was brought in for a visit/look from last years drafted players. At the the same time I believe KC will most likely select Phil Taylor as their 1st rounder.

Paea wouldn't be a bad pick either.

the Talking Can
04-12-2011, 06:42 PM
yeah, i'd be fine with that

i wonder if teams aren't going to get hot for Ponder right around where we pick, giving us a real chance to drop...

Tribal Warfare
04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
yeah, i'd be fine with that

i wonder if teams aren't going to get hot for Ponder right around where we pick, giving us a real chance to drop...

or Mallet/Locker

Detoxing
04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
I think Baldwin is going to be the best "star" receiver aside from Green and Jones. He reminds me of Brandon Marshall.

However, I do think Hankerson will have a solid career.

Saccopoo
04-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Baldwin versus Hankerson:

Baldwin:
Height: 6'4.3"
Weight: 228 lbs.
40: 4.49
Vertical: 42"
Broad: 10'9"
Shuttle: 4.34
3 Cone: 7.07

Hankerson:
Height: 6'1.4"
Weight: 209 lbs.
40: 4.40
Vertical: 36"
Broad: 9'9"
Shuttle: 4.21
3 Cone: 6.94

So, other than the small differences in the 40, Shuttle and 3 Cone drills, Baldwin has a 6" higher vertical, a 12" longer broad jump and has three inches and 20 lbs. on Hankerson.

And Hankerson is a body catcher (meaning that he waits until the ball is in the chest versus grabbing it with the hands outside the box).

Baldwin is easily the better prospect.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Hankerson is probably the most polished and pro-ready of the next tier of receivers, but IMO he has the lowest ceiling. Baldwin, Smith and even Little are all very raw but are much better athletes.

Hankerson doesn't play as fast as his timed speed and he wasn't used as a deep threat at Miami.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
While I haven't studied it too closely, I like him and Bruce Carter at OLB and Jernigan at WR based on what I've read. While I never want to trade down, I might prefer these three guys in the second and third rounds over getting two guys with our 1st and 2nd.

SNR
04-13-2011, 09:32 AM
And Hankerson is a body catcher (meaning that he waits until the ball is in the chest versus grabbing it with the hands outside the box).

Baldwin is easily the better prospect.Hankerson worked hard on that aspect of his game this past season. I didn't see him body-catch anything in the 3 Miami games I watched all year. From what I hear, that was something he was prone to do in his sophomore and junior seasons, when he had troubles consistently catching the stuff he should catch.

Not saying it's completely gone from his technique toolbox; it might just rear it's ugly head occasionally in his pro career. But the way he works hard and ALREADY has stellar connections to guys like Cris Carter makes me think that the body-catching demon will get exorcised very early in his pro career.

In my opinion pro ready over potential is exactly what the Chiefs need at WR. They need competent dudes who know the playbook and can get open. Hankerson has that already; the Chiefs won't need to wait around for guys like Baldwin and Smith to "figure it out"

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't take him at 21 but I really like Greg Little. Most likely not a 'Pioli Guy", but damn talented.

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't take him at 21 but I really like Greg Little. Most likely not a 'Pioli Guy", but damn talented.

The thing is......is Little really didn't do something that was outrageously bad in my mind. I would hope that Pioli could see his talent and weigh the risk/reward of Little. The kid is going to blow up like Mike Williams did last year.

the Talking Can
04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
per the thread with the miami draft article, Hankerson had a 50 yard catch in 12 of the 13 games this year....YAC or not, that's impressive..

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 10:59 AM
The thing is......is Little really didn't do something that was outrageously bad in my mind. I would hope that Pioli could see his talent and weigh the risk/reward of Little. The kid is going to blow up like Mike Williams did last year.

Heh.

Imagine Hankerson & Little. Hello Beefed up receiving corps

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
per the thread with the miami draft article, Hankerson had a 50 yard catch in 12 of the 13 games this year....YAC or not, that's impressive..

I guess it depends on which stats you look at:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/415/1009813/receiving/situational.html

Has him listed as having 9 plays of 25+ yards.

the Talking Can
04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I guess it depends on which stats you look at:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/415/1009813/receiving/situational.html

Has him listed as having 9 plays of 25+ yards.

hmm, well...no clue where they came up with the other 50+ number...yea journalism

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Heh.

Imagine Hankerson & Little. Hello Beefed up receiving corps

Bowe, Hankerson and Little would be awesome.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if KC fell out of the first round giving the 21 to a top 10 team who passed on a QB the first go-around, but is panicking they won't get a Mallett/Ponder/Dalton/Locker.

Urc Burry
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Baldwin versus Hankerson:

Baldwin:
Height: 6'4.3"
Weight: 228 lbs.
40: 4.49
Vertical: 42"
Broad: 10'9"
Shuttle: 4.34
3 Cone: 7.07

Hankerson:
Height: 6'1.4"
Weight: 209 lbs.
40: 4.40
Vertical: 36"
Broad: 9'9"
Shuttle: 4.21
3 Cone: 6.94

So, other than the small differences in the 40, Shuttle and 3 Cone drills, Baldwin has a 6" higher vertical, a 12" longer broad jump and has three inches and 20 lbs. on Hankerson.

Baldwin is easily the better prospect.
And Taylor Mays was a better prospect than Eric Berry. Big Deal.

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if KC fell out of the first round giving the 21 to a top 10 team who passed on a QB the first go-around, but is panicking they won't get a Mallett/Ponder/Dalton/Locker.

I'd trade with the Bengals if they don't take a QB at the four spot.

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I'd trade with the Bengals if they don't take a QB at the four spot.

I wouldn't. That's a huge drop. I wouldn't wanna fall out of the 1st round, unless of course they are offering next years first or something retarded like that.

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't. That's a huge drop. I wouldn't wanna fall out of the 1st round, unless of course they are offering next years first or something retarded like that.

21 to 34-35. The Bills and the Bengals are the only teams that are high enough and that might want to trade back up into the 1st round for a QB.

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Well....maybe the Seahawks at #25. But I don't see why they'd want to move considering no one in front of them is going to be taking a QB.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM
The Titans are another possibility.

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
The Titans are another possibility.

That's a much farther drop to #39.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
That's a much farther drop to #39.

It's far, but I can't get a good read on player values this year. A lot of people are saying they would be happy taking Hankerson or Smith or Baldwin at 21 (or Houston, Wisniewski, etc.) when there looks like a good chance you could get one at 39, plus pick up an additional 3rd rounder.

If you use the gbnboard that you posted, you could come away with:

39. Hankerson or Smith
55. Wisniewski or K. Ellis or Acho
77. Greg Little
86. K. Sheppard/Stanzi/Carter/Brewer

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 12:04 PM
21 to 34-35. The Bills and the Bengals are the only teams that are high enough and that might want to trade back up into the 1st round for a QB.

That's almost half a round. I wouldn't do it. Too far to drop IMO when we NEED an impact player at several positions. We drop that far back and we're much less likely to receive an instant impact player.

I wouldn't drop further than 26-28.

SNR
04-13-2011, 12:10 PM
That's almost half a round. I wouldn't do it. Too far to drop IMO when we NEED an impact player at several positions. We drop that far back and we're much less likely to receive an instant impact player.

I wouldn't drop further than 26-28.We can't get too picky. The Colts are also probably looking to trade down since they don't have a 2nd or a 3rd rounder. They've been rumored to be in the hunt for a QB like Andy Dalton in addition to an OT.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't drop further than 26-28.

Which impact players would KC miss out on at 21 that you think wouldn't be around at 35-39?

Dicky McElephant
04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
It's far, but I can't get a good read on player values this year. A lot of people are saying they would be happy taking Hankerson or Smith or Baldwin at 21 (or Houston, Wisniewski, etc.) when there looks like a good chance you could get one at 39, plus pick up an additional 3rd rounder.

If you use the gbnboard that you posted, you could come away with:

39. Hankerson or Smith
55. Wisniewski or K. Ellis or Acho
77. Greg Little
86. K. Sheppard/Stanzi/Carter/Brewer

I think we could drop to 34 and still get a 3rd rounder.

34. Stephen Paea, NT
55. Sam Acho, DE/OLB
66. Greg Little, WR
86. Kelvin Sheppard, ILB

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Which impact players would KC miss out on at 21 that you think wouldn't be around at 35-39?

A.Smith
L.Hankerson
J. Baldwin
Any of the top tackle/guard prospects could be gone by then too.

Urc Burry
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
This is too weak of a class to trade down to 35-39 imo

Mr. Laz
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
i was hoping he would be there in the 2nd round ... maybe with a slight trade-up

BigCatDaddy
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
This is too weak of a class to trade down to 35-39 imo

While it's the weakest class in a long time, I'm not sold that there is a huge difference from player 21 to player 39. After about a dozen picks the talent falls off.

ChiefsCountry
04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
If you want to trade down call Chicago. If they want a stud LT, they need to leapfrog Indy and Philly.

Just going off Walter's latest mock, get the Bears 1st and 3rd picks.

1. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
2. Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State
3. Kelvin Sheppherd, ILB, LSU
3. Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi
4. Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State
5. DeMarcus Love, RT, Arkansas
5. Nathan Enderle, QB, Idaho