PDA

View Full Version : Position by Position Draft Breakdown. Miami SunSentinel

Coogs
04-12-2011, 03:06 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/04/_position_by_position_draft.html

Again, a long but good read on each position in the draft. Players they like at each position. Overrated, Sleepers, plus their top choices for next years draft.

KC Star needs to take notes form these guys.

Dicky McElephant
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I know that we've had a visit with him....and I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a shot on him in the 5th-6th round.

QB Sleeper: Staying with Mr Kouffman and he’s ridden the coattails of one TJ Yates all season long and Yates has been quietly impressive since seasons end. Chris is a fan of his “Freakish footwork and release, excellent attention to detail. Perfect deep ball.” I’m going with Ponder who some people are still sleeping on and calling a mid 2nd rounder. To me he goes a lot higher and he actually has an awful lot of upside. I’m reminded what Oklahoma ILB Tom Wort said to me about him; that the ease with which the Sooners understood FSU’s offense was key to shutting him down and that in a more complex system, Ponder would be very, very difficult to defend. Richard likes the moxie of Alabama’s Greg McIlroy: “He has a better arm than he is given credit for and can make a majority of the throws and possesses a nice touch on the deep ball. Greg can read coverage and is experienced in a pro style offense.”

Coogs
04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I know that we've had a visit with him....and I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a shot on him in the 5th-6th round.

Thought that was pretty interesting as well. In the Ryan Mallett thread they had a piece on quickest releases and something else concerning quick release, and Yates was #1 on both areas. In fact, here it is...

To be a good pocket passer, a prospect needs to have a quick, functional release. Mallett’s release is nice and high, which takes advantage of his natural height and helps him to use the short areas of the football field between the numbers. He is able to see and hit slants and crossing routes because of the combination of his size and release.

I have seen some sentiment out there expressing concern about the speed of Mallett’s release. With that in mind, I tested the release speed of seven different passers in this Draft. I would like to warn you before sharing the results. Not unlike the fact that there is no such thing as an “official” 40 yard dash time, there is no such thing as an absolutely objective measurement of a player’s release. Methodology and interpretation are important. But, as I’ve come to realize about 40 yard dash times, the key is consistency in who is doing the timing and how. As such I’ve chosen to take two time measurements for each player on each throw; one from the feet up (cued off the movement of the lead foot), and one measurement (cued off a drop in the throwing elbow) that takes into account pure arm motion. I chose only intermediate depth (not deep ball) throws with pocket rhythm, and averaged the results.

From the feet up, Ryan Mallett’s full motion was the second-quickest of the group at about 42.9 milliseconds. The very fastest was T.J. Yates at 36.7 milliseconds. The slowest was Colin Kaepernick at 56.4 milliseconds. The ordering changes when you measure the time it takes for pure arm motion, cued off the dropping of the throwing elbow. The quickest and slowest remain T.J. Yates (33.8 milliseconds) and Colin Kaepernick (46.0 milliseconds), however Ryan Mallett’s arm motion sinks into the very middle place in the seven-player sample at 36.3 milliseconds.

How are we to interpret this? Several things come to mind. Those that follow the Draft and the NFL Combine closely often end up cutting hairs pretty finely over certain Combine measurements, such as the 10 yard split of the 40 yard dash. While measurement error inherent in the numbers keeps me from having the same enthusiasm about that particular number as most seem to possess, as little as a 0.05 second difference in two players’ 10 yard splits is often considered wide enough to be significant. As little as a 0.10 second difference is considered drastic, and a 0.20 second difference might as well be the difference between a player destined for the 1st round, and a player destined to be drafted on the final day of the Draft, if at all. Given that, how do we think about a quarterback whose delivery alone makes defensive backs look 0.10 to 0.20 seconds faster in a short 10 yard area? This is why I place such emphasis on the quickness and functionality of a player’s delivery.

You’ll notice that Mallett’s ranking in the grouping moved down when I went from a foot-based motion to an elbow-based motion. This is not coincidental. It is consistent with my findings across the spectrum of quarterbacks, which shows that the difference between those two measurements on any given quarterback, tends to correlate with a player’s inherent arm strength. In other words, if your arm is naturally good, you don’t need elongated steps to get the required velocity on the ball, and the speed of your total delivery is going to be closer to the speed of your arm-only delivery. Foot placement and weight transfer always remain pressing issues to a quarterback’s accuracy, but they can be accomplished more subtly. The extreme example of this would be Andy Dalton, who had the highest discrepancy between total delivery and arm-only delivery. He has the weakest arm of all those measured and really has to step into his throws mightily in order to drive the football.

Nightfyre
04-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I was extremely impressed by the speed of Yates release from youtube videos. I didn't see him working progressions though, which would be a concern. He's probably a terrific project though. I'm onboard for Yates or Ponder.

Detoxing
04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Was it Yates that Zorn was working with?

the Talking Can
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
wow...real football coverage

Teicher peed his pants reading that

anyways, based just on their evals, I guess I'd hope for one of the following at 21:

Hankerson, Carimi, Ponder, A. Smith (almost 0 chance), Jordan

they are down on Ayers, Houston, Taylor, Baldwin, Torrey Smith, and Powe

Wilson8
04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Positive story on Yates -
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Veteran-QB-coach-on-TJ-Yates-Hes-got-plenty-of-arm.html

Coogs
04-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Positive story on Yates -
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Veteran-QB-coach-on-TJ-Yates-Hes-got-plenty-of-arm.html

Good find! :thumb:

I'm beginning to wonder if this is not going to be our guy. I hoping for Mallett or Locker, but would be stunned if we would do that in the 1st. The realist in me was thinking Stanzi or McElroy. But now I am thinking this guy might be added to those two.

spanky 52
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
What round will Yates go in? Don't think he's a late round pick anymore. Doss and Culliver sound like players Pioli would take. Appears Carimi would be very good value at 21.

Nightfyre
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
What round will Yates go in? Don't think he's a late round pick anymore. Doss and Culliver sound like players Pioli would take. Appears Carimi would be very good value at 21.

Prolly a fourth to fifth rounder would be my guesstimate.

Wilson8
04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Sorry did not have a chance to get back and post 'til now.

I did a quick read on the story concerning T.J. Yates and then posted the link. Looked at the story again and have a different opinion.

The whole story is quotes from the guy that is coaching him. I hope he would have some good things to say about Yates.

Yates might have some good QB skills, but that story needs to be read with caution.

“I know there’s some teams that are thinking if we can get him in the fourth round it’s a steal," said Kennan, who prepared Yates for the NFL scouting combine, his Pro Day and the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game in San Antonio.