PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Your BBQ timetable

Groves
04-13-2011, 09:29 AM
I know the BBQ competition guys have everything on a timesheet so they know exactly when to do what. Every little thing, so nothing is forgotten, and so they can make detailed changes for the future.

I'm not talking about a competition, I'm just talking about your schedule for a medium sized gathering.

You're feeding 60 people. You have a large enough smoker on a trailer. You live 20miles from the event.

I realize it depends on your menu. What are your go-to principles? Your habits? Your worst blunders?

I'm planning on having pulled pork and chicken wings. I'll do the pork almost entirely beforehand, before I head to the event, as it needs to rest anyway before pulling. I want something to be finishing up live at the event, though. Chicken wings need a lot less time in the smoker. Maybe I'll throw some brats on, too.

Maybe I'll zip tie everything to the grates and just let it cook on the way.

MOhillbilly
04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Have all your equipment lined out two days before.

Everything ready to haul night before.

get on site early.

Get your fire started and get to temp ASAP.

Prep.

When feed time comes slop it hard and fast.

mlyonsd
04-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Maybe I'll zip tie everything to the grates and just let it cook on the way.

LMAO Rule of thumb is....if your heat starts to cool down drive faster, if it's too hot slow down.

35 mph=250
55 mph=275
80 mph=the meat is behind and judging is an hour away.

Groves
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
no competition here, just eliminating surprises.

What are some good "cook in the last few hours" type of things I can throw on there. Can you smoke jalapeno poppers?

MOhillbilly
04-13-2011, 11:29 AM
are you looking to do the meat on site?

tooge
04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
pork loins do well in the last two hrs or so, but the go to thing for the last few hours has to be sausage. Go to a good sausage house in your area (MO probably knows one) and get a few good sausages. Maybe some polish, some italian, some brats or blood sausages, and roll them in rub and throw on about three hrs before feedin time. I get a sausage called "bbq roll" at Krismans here in kc that everyone raves about. Make sure you have some buns, saurkraut, a few different mustards, and of course 3buddeez slaw for those sausages. Another favorite of mine is a corn casserole. Sauteed onions, frozen corn, corn meal, bread crumbs, and a few eggs. Season with garlic salt and pepper and a few chopped up jalapenos. put it in large foil container and place on one end of the smoker. If you got meat, beans, and this, you will be the most popular dude in town

Groves
04-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Doing it all on site is one option, for sure. Nothing wrong with that.

Depending on my pork shoulder's though, and my unfamiliarity with the smoker, it might serve me well to put some hours in beforehand.

Do these smokers travel at temp? Or is that a no no? I'm not talking illegal, just safe.

tooge
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Thats a no no. I wouldn't travel with fire and sparks flying out the firebox if I were you. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Start the butts about 9 hours before you have to leave for the event. That probably means overnight. You may have to get up once to stoke the firebox. Cover them in a few layers of foil and head to the site. Fire the smoker back up, and let them finish for the last 3 or 4 hours on site, along with the wings and sausages and any sides you make like beans, corn casserol, etc. That way, everyone sees the mean come off and get pulled and the whole show. Also no reheating that way.

MOhillbilly
04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Doing it all on site is one option, for sure. Nothing wrong with that.

Depending on my pork shoulder's though, and my unfamiliarity with the smoker, it might serve me well to put some hours in beforehand.

Do these smokers travel at temp? Or is that a no no? I'm not talking illegal, just safe.

i wouldnt drive with fire. you doin front shoulders / pulled pork?

to do it right you gotta go slow and low.

pulled pork reheats easy. unless you wanna sit somewhere all day id maybe think about doing it the day before. That way you can prep while you tend to the fire.

Way less pain in the ass.

far as same day. ribs,wings,sausage,bird,loin, skys the limit.

That smoker will be the least of your logistical worries.

MOhillbilly
04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Thats a no no. I wouldn't travel with fire and sparks flying out the firebox if I were you. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Start the butts about 9 hours before you have to leave for the event. That probably means overnight. You may have to get up once to stoke the firebox. Cover them in a few layers of foil and head to the site. Fire the smoker back up, and let them finish for the last 3 or 4 hours on site, along with the wings and sausages and any sides you make like beans, corn casserol, etc. That way, everyone sees the mean come off and get pulled and the whole show. Also no reheating that way.

sage advice. another option is pull em the night before and reheat in aluminum pans.

Groves
04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Pretty sure I'll do some pork beforehand and then wings, sausage/brats on site.

jspchief
04-13-2011, 05:51 PM
How soon are you doing this? My first suggestion is don't do it for the first time for the event. Even if that means doing just a small batch the weekend before. You don't want an entire crowd to be your guinea pig. Serving under done or dried out wings won't be any fun for anyone. It's a lesson I've learned many times but still have to remind myself of. I have a tendency to want to impress, so I get some great new recipe, and invariably something doesn't go as planned. If you can't do a trial run, get a simple, tried and true recipe

JASONSAUTO
04-13-2011, 06:24 PM
When and where do we need to go?
Posted via Mobile Device

Groves
04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Very good thoughts you guys. Points well taken.

The only thing that is really new here is the smoker that I'm borrowing and the scale.

Even the scale isn't totally new. I've grilled for this same sized group of 60 college students for a few years now, but never a smoker, and never pork roast.

I'm tired of grilling burgers and dogs, so I'm kicking it up a notch.

MO is being a big help, as are the rest of you from afar.

Bwana
04-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Hmm? As long as this thread is up......

I have about a 15 pound brisket I need to smoke up this weekend and I've never done a brisket. I do steaks, chicken, ribs and chops all the time, but nothing like this. I have a big Char Griller, with a smoke box on it. I also just picked up a rotisserie for that bad boy. These look like some decent directions, but I wanted to talk to you guys before I invest 12 hours into something and end up screwing it up.

http://www.bbq-fyi.com/how-to-smoke-brisket.html

Bump
04-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I've been to texas a bunch of times and let me say this. Texas BBQ PWNS KC BBQ

Bwana
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Ok, that's it. Someone get a rope!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0OfuYBJa3Lg/TS1CrKuo5MI/AAAAAAAAGbQ/FD_hfDoWDl4/s1600/noose.JPG

Bump
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
It's not the KC BBQ is bad, but Texas is out of this world when it comes to BBQ!!

Bwana
04-13-2011, 07:18 PM
It's not the KC BBQ is bad, but Texas is out of this world when it comes to BBQ!!

Don't get me wrong, both are great, but it just boils down to taste.

DrRyan
04-13-2011, 07:21 PM

No sir, it most certainly does not. Pork ribs dominate beef ribs (which is mainly what you find in TX). In KC you can get what ever you want. Brisket, burnt ends, pulled pork, any variety of ribs, and the list goes on.

MO is right on for slow and low on the pork shoulders. I do mine at 195-205 (some here will claim that is too low of a temp, it isn't) and they more or less pull themselves every time.

Renegade
04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Look at your site ahead of time if possible. Will you have access to water, electricity, trash removal? Plan ahead for those items if you will need them. Don't forget to throw in some chairs for sitting around, and don't forget about the tunes, it is what will make your party (well really the food and liquor will do it).

Gadzooks
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, both are great, but it just boils down to taste.

In England they boil out the taste.
They boil all of their meat. 0% flavor.
Carolina BBQ is almost better than that shit.

Bwana
04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
In England they boil out the taste.
They boil all of their meat. 0% flavor.
Carolina BBQ is almost better than that shit.

The worst I have ever had was in Amsterdam. They claimed it was beef but.......

Groves
04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Look at your site ahead of time if possible. Will you have access to water, electricity, trash removal? Plan ahead for those items if you will need them. Don't forget to throw in some chairs for sitting around, and don't forget about the tunes, it is what will make your party (well really the food and liquor will do it).

All great points.

I work with college students here in Springfield, and we throw a party at the end of every year at a secluded spot near Rogersville. It's all set up with chairs and water and places for softball and volleyball and ultimate and such.

We usually just haul out a grill and cook up hotdogs and burgers, but not this year.

I'll have to scour the archives for a good smoked beans recipe.

There will be a mix of ages, so no alcohol at this event.

Gadzooks
04-13-2011, 08:03 PM

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/3/21ffde54-c1c1-483a-8624-f5b3047ca30d.jpg

Gadzooks
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok, that's it. Someone get a rope!
I agree that the KC BBQ style beats Texas in principal but if I'd had some good Texas style I could be converted because I don't have the geographical bias.
I once had some BBQ Beef ribs in Portugal that I still think about every time I've finished a drinking bender and am on the hunt for food. (if only I knew how to make them myself).:drool:

Renegade
04-13-2011, 08:25 PM
All great points.

I work with college students here in Springfield, and we throw a party at the end of every year at a secluded spot near Rogersville. It's all set up with chairs and water and places for softball and volleyball and ultimate and such.

We usually just haul out a grill and cook up hotdogs and burgers, but not this year.

I'll have to scour the archives for a good smoked beans recipe.

There will be a mix of ages, so no alcohol at this event.

PM if you want, I run a foodservice for a college campus, so I do this type of stuff all the time if you need recipes or other ideas.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Dont sweat the smoker Hoss. We been running it since the 85 superbowl.(that i remember)

Weve done cases of bird,pork,& beef in all varaties and served hundreds and hundreds of people at once. Thousands in total.

Meat plus fire. K.I.S.S.

Smoke me the date again. Im goin to visit over the weekend and will secure that week.

Groves
04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
PM if you want, I run a foodservice for a college campus, so I do this type of stuff all the time if you need recipes or other ideas.

I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do, but I love hearing new ideas. Lay out some of your favs.

tooge
04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Hmm? As long as this thread is up......

I have about a 15 pound brisket I need to smoke up this weekend and I've never done a brisket. I do steaks, chicken, ribs and chops all the time, but nothing like this. I have a big Char Griller, with a smoke box on it. I also just picked up a rotisserie for that bad boy. These look like some decent directions, but I wanted to talk to you guys before I invest 12 hours into something and end up screwing it up.

http://www.bbq-fyi.com/how-to-smoke-brisket.html

Trim brisket to a quarter inch of fat on fat cap. leave point and flat connected for now. Inject it with beef broth (save the juice from this one and freeze it and use to inject next one you do). Rub it liberally with a rub that is mainly salt, pepper, garlic powder, with a little chili powder and paprika and herbs.
Smoke it, fat cap up, until it is "fork tender". That will be anywhere from an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes a pound. Use a thermometer and take it to about 198 degrees. If not fork tender, check it about every three degrees. If you get to 205 and it isn't fork tender, it isnt gonna be. That means its a cruddy piece of meat. Let it set for 15 minutes and slice against the grain on bias. Have a pan under it while smoking to collect the juice and rendered fat. Make sure you check the fork tenderness in both the flat and point, as the point will be done much quicker than the flat. Once it is, remove it and place it a bit closer to the firebox for some killer burnt ends.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
use that juice and fat for your BBQ baked beans!

tooge
04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
use that juice and fat for your BBQ baked beans!

YESSIR! Mmmmmmm. and put some of the chopped up point in there while you are at it. Phil makes the best baked beans I've ever had btw

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 10:25 AM
gawd makin my mouth water.

Groves
04-14-2011, 02:00 PM
d'you slice and dice on that apple tree yet?

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 02:03 PM
d'you slice and dice on that apple tree yet?

saturday brah. I know ive said that about 4-5 saturdays ago. Hotrod will get some, you'll get yours, and imma hord the rest.

hotrods goin to get some hickory. If he comes off any ill give .....never mind if you want it i have a bit at the Fortress.

come out. be drinkin brew and putterin around.

Renegade
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I have become a huge fan of smokin with persimmon wood. Does great with pork. Can't go wrong with saving the juice from the fat drippings for baked beans. Others on the site have mentioned great bean recipes, I have started using Jacks Stack recipe. I have been happy with it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jack-stack-barbecue-beans-recipe/index.html Grill some Texas Toast when you pull everything off the grill, and have fun with the party!