PDA

View Full Version : Life Judge: Students can wear 'I Heart Boobies' bracelets in school

Deberg_1990
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/health/Fed-Judge-OKs-Boobies-Bracelet-in-School-119711509.html

A federal judge has weighed in on a little rubber bracelet with a message about breast cancer awareness that stirred up a lot of controversy here in San Diego.

“I Heart Boobies” bracelets are sold across the nation and have been banned in many U.S schools, including Oceanside High School, Valley Middle School in Carlsbad and Mountain Empire High School in East County.

U.S. District Judge Mary McLaughlin sided with students Tuesday in a free-speech test case filed in Pennsylvania by the American Civil Liberties Union. She issued a temporary injunction that bars the Easton Area School District from enforcing its ban.

School officials argue the slogan suggests a sexual double meaning and leads to in-school distractions.

McLaughlin agreed with students and said the bracelets are being worn to promote breast cancer awareness.

The creator of the bracelets says it's about speaking to young people in their own language.

"The word "boobies" is just a word that young people use, it's a word that moms say to babies,"said Kimmy McAtee of Keep A Breast Foundation, the organization that makes the bracelets.

The bands retail for about $4. 100 percent of the funds raised go to breast cancer education, awareness and support programs.

A few weeks ago, a student at Mountain Empire High School wore a bracelet to school. School administrators say the bracelet led to a "big" disruption in class and that's why it was banned.

"If it's creating a disruption in class, obviously we have to do something about that,"said superintendent Steve Van Zant.

Campo resident Marcus Nicholson graduated from Mountain Empire High last year and says he wore the bracelet all year without any incidents.

"I wear it because my mom had cancer and she survived and I wear it for everybody who has cancer and for research and all that,"Nicholson said.

His mother has been cancer free for ten years and says if the word "boobies" encourages kids to care about breast cancer awareness, then there is no harm in it.

"I'm for them wearing those bracelets, I have no problem with it at all,"said Leticia Nicholson.

Source: Fed Judge OKs "Boobies" Bracelet in School | NBC San Diego

KurtCobain
04-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Cancer research has allowed alot of chaos in the world.

luv
04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Disruption in class? Really?

Buck
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I wonder if this shirt was sold for Breast Cancer Awareness.

http://imgbit.com/images/ae5e4e586f1241405895.jpg

KurtCobain
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Well, also for face and ass cancer.

chiefsnorth
04-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Wonder how much public money got wasted on all of this

Deberg_1990
04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Disruption in class? Really?

Our society is waaay too oversensitive about anything concerning sex or anatomy.

BigRichard
04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Our society is waaay too oversensitive about anything concerning sex or anatomy.

That is no shit. Fuck the moral police.

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM

I blame white people.

NewChief
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Tons of kids wear them at our school.

While I realize that they're for a good cause, the kids all wear them because of the sexual overtones.

Imagine if ASPCA put out a shirt that said, "I love pussy" and said it was raising money for cats and all the kids started wearing them. Okay as well?

I don't really have a problem with it, but the guys all knowingly leer at each other and wink and such when they see the bracelets, so trying to portray it as akin to wearing a Komen shirt isn't exactly accurate.

luv
04-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Tons of kids wear them at our school.

While I realize that they're for a good cause, the kids all wear them because of the sexual overtones.

Imagine if ASPCA put out a shirt that said, "I love pussy" and said it was raising money for cats and all the kids started wearing them. Okay as well?

I don't really have a problem with it, but the guys all knowingly leer at each other and wink and such when they see the bracelets, so trying to portray it as akin to wearing a Komen shirt isn't exactly accurate.

I have a college aged friend who wears one. I just don't see the big deal. They leer at each other every time the see them?

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Yep. No nudity makes nudity a big deal. Go ask the arabs.

NewChief
04-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I have a college aged friend who wears one. I just don't see the big deal. They leer at each other every time the see them?

Not every time. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it, but it's not like they're wearing them in support of breast cancer. They're wearing them as a statement that they like boobs.

Pitt Gorilla
04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
They're wearing them as a statement that they like boobs.and, consequently, don't wish for them to be removed due to cancer, no?

KurtCobain
04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
I remember in 5th or 6th grade they banned saying wassssssssssssuuuuuuuuuup because it was from a beer commercial.

Valiant
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah. The school should of handled it better. Maybe donate some money for 'i love cancer research' or 'i support komen' and swap the kids for the braclets. Kids should not have a problem if that is what they are actually supporting. Plus more money for the cause.

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Not every time. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it, but it's not like they're wearing them in support of breast cancer. They're wearing them as a statement that they like boobs.

This.

We're talking about freaking teens and preteens here. They could give a rats ass about Breast cancer.

I know I didn't. I was much more concerned about the size and shape of boobs and how i can get a set to play with.

Was not concerned about the health of these boobies.

Cave Johnson
04-13-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.channelshirt.com/product/9/263/I-Love-Boobies-Tshirt.html

Deberg_1990
04-13-2011, 10:42 AM
but it's not like they're wearing them in support of breast cancer. They're wearing them as a statement that they like boobs.

Can you prove that?

listopencil
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
This.

We're talking about freaking teens and preteens here. They could give a rats ass about Breast cancer.

I know I didn't. I was much more concerned about the size and shape of boobs and how i can get a set to play with.

Depends on the situation.

"Campo resident Marcus Nicholson graduated from Mountain Empire High last year and says he wore the bracelet all year without any incidents.

"I wear it because my mom had cancer and she survived and I wear it for everybody who has cancer and for research and all that,"Nicholson said.

His mother has been cancer free for ten years and says if the word "boobies" encourages kids to care about breast cancer awareness, then there is no harm in it."

Psyko Tek
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Boobies!!!!!

This a great country or what??

listopencil
04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
and, consequently, don't wish for them to be removed due to cancer, no?

Exactly.

alnorth
04-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Can you prove that?

Not sure that its necessary to prove. Its obviously true.

He's not saying its a fundamental law of nature that all teens in all schools at all times who wear the bracelets don't really care about cancer that much and are wearing them for the sexual innuendo, but its safe to say thats true for most.

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Depends on the situation.

"Campo resident Marcus Nicholson graduated from Mountain Empire High last year and says he wore the bracelet all year without any incidents.

His mother has been cancer free for ten years and says if the word "boobies" encourages kids to care about breast cancer awareness, then there is no harm in it."

Exception not the rule.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM

We're guys. It's what we do.

threebag02
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Buck has a "have a ball" band in support of testicular cancer

The_Doctor10
04-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Given America's unwillingness to simply acknowledge that gays should have the same rights as straight people, I'm not sure why this is a problem...

The_Doctor10
04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
This.

You should be; if the boobies aren't healthy, the chick attached to them gets sick, the boobies lose their lustre, and the hole you put your dick in dries up.

Breast cancer = everyone loses.

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
You should be; if the boobies aren't healthy, the chick attached to them gets sick, the boobies lose their lustre, and the hole you put your dick in dries up.

Breast cancer = everyone loses.

Oh, not doubt. But i'm talking about when i was a teenager though. Different circumstances.

Demonpenz
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
What if you wore one because you like Boobie Miles from Friday night lights?

Pitt Gorilla
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
What if you wore one because you like Boobie Miles from Friday night lights?Who is the other one(s)?

The_Doctor10
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh, not doubt. But i'm talking about when i was a teenager though. Different circumstances.

Yes and no. Are they just announcing that they like breasts, not really concerned with the breast cancer message? Absolutely.

But is this news to anyone? Teenagers like boobies? Why not forbid them from wearing bracelets that say 'I Heart Oxygen' or 'Yay water!'? Let's go one better, and not allow positive messages about anything. Or even the intimation that you might enjoy something. Take off that Green Lantern shirt, he's no better or worse than the Flash or Batman. Everyone was dress in monochromatic, neutral colors so as not to offend non-white people. No smiling either, that's a dead giveaway you like something.

So teenagers like boobies. They're gonna fuck each other anyway, so why not just mandate that everyone who wears the boobie bracelet has to wear an 'I heart condoms' bracelet?

Answer: Because that would condone lying; nobody hearts fucking condoms...

chasedude
04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
More prudes controlling our schools.

Decades upon decades of "moral" turpitude telling us what we should do.

Everyone channel the Dee Snyder in themselves and tell the Tipper Gore's of the world to Fuck off! 4321

chasedude
04-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes and no. Are they just announcing that they like breasts, not really concerned with the breast cancer message? Absolutely.

But is this news to anyone? Teenagers like boobies? Why not forbid them from wearing bracelets that say 'I Heart Oxygen' or 'Yay water!'? Let's go one better, and not allow positive messages about anything. Or even the intimation that you might enjoy something. Take off that Green Lantern shirt, he's no better or worse than the Flash or Batman. Everyone was dress in monochromatic, neutral colors so as not to offend non-white people. No smiling either, that's a dead giveaway you like something.

So teenagers like boobies. They're gonna fuck each other anyway, so why not just mandate that everyone who wears the boobie bracelet has to wear an 'I heart condoms' bracelet?

Answer: Because that would condone lying; nobody hearts fucking condoms...

Let's send one to the Pope! ROFL

The_Doctor10
04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Let's send one to the Pope! ROFL

Hey, he did recently FINALLY agree that MAYBE condoms in Africa MIGHT help a little when it comes to slowing the spread of HIV/AIDS. He's learning... maybe soon he's say something mean about Hitler!

chasedude
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey, he did recently FINALLY agree that MAYBE condoms in Africa MIGHT help a little when it comes to slowing the spread of HIV/AIDS. He's learning... maybe soon he's say something mean about Hitler!

Is that right? I didn't hear that. I'm not a catholic so I don't follow that dogma crap.

Anyway, good for him. :thumb:

Fruit Ninja
04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I remember when i was young and everyone was wearing the Big Johnson shirts, then they took the nerfbat to them.

Marcellus
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM

I get what your saying but a teenage boy wearing a bracelet that says I heart boobies to show they like boobies is about as redundant as it gets.

Do they have shirts that say grass is green and hats that say the sky is blue?

Detoxing
04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

ya know, I had always thought that the bible said no semen is suppose to go to waste. So doesn't that mean that all women should swallow?

I've been trying to convince my wife that she has to swallow in the name of God, but she doesn't buy it. i need further proof....

NewChief
04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I get what your saying but a teenage boy wearing a bracelet that says I heart boobies to show they like boobies is about as redundant as it gets.

Do they have shirts that say grass is green and hats that say the sky is blue?

Yeah, I know it. Like someone else said, it's similar to the "big johnson" t-shirts that people used to wear. They're sort of a fad/trend for the kids right now, and it makes them feel subversive to wear them.

As I said, I don't really give a crap what they wear (I'm pretty hard to offend), but I think it's an interesting free speech case.

The_Doctor10
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
ya know, I had always thought that the bible said no semen is suppose to go to waste. So doesn't that mean that all women should swallow?

I've been trying to convince my wife that she has to swallow in the name of God, but she doesn't buy it. i need further proof....

Nothing worse than a chick who doesn't swallow... Fortunately, by our third date, my girlfriend proved herself and declared it to be 'filling'. Probably gonna marry this chick lol

MoreLemonPledge
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
By that logic, I assume that a teenager would have no problem wearing one that says "I love testicles" to support his father's battle with testicular cancer, right?

The_Doctor10
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
By that logic, I assume that a teenager would have no problem wearing one that says "I love testicles" to support his father's battle with testicular cancer, right?

Please, this is North America. We only draw direct attention to sexy diseases.

For all the manly/quasi gay cancers, we have Livestrong. That says it all in one word. Just like a man. None of this vast verbage on a bracelet female bullshit.