PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Smashburger

Pages : [1] 2

BCD
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
My new favorite Burger.

My new Ladyfriend took me there for lunch today.

I had the Spicy Baja, with Sweet Potato fries.

High Quality Beef.

Pants
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I like Five Guys better, but Smashburger is pretty good too.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Sucks. Dont flatten a burger on the grill, dumbasses.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
One opened up close to me a couple years ago. I ate there once, it was good but not spectacular enough to get me to come back. It's not like it's hard to find a good hamburger.

BCD
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Sucks. Dont flatten a burger on the grill, dumbasses.It wasnt flat. It was 1/2" thick.

Pants
Sucks. Dont flatten a burger on the grill, dumbasses.

Yeah, WTF is up with that? This is why Steak/Shake and Winsteads burgers fucking suck.

|Zach|
Haven't tried it yet but it is definitely on my list. Heard good things. I tried Five Guys for the first time last month. It was decent but nothing special IMO. I still need to try BRGR Kitchen as well. I think one of the best burgers in KC in at Fric and Frac.

BCD
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
One opened up close to me a couple years ago. I ate there once, it was good but not spectacular enough to get me to come back. It's not like it's hard to find a good hamburger.

Compared to the usual crap fastfood Burgers, its a ton better.

Almost as good as Red Robin.

Bump
04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Fat Ho Burger is where it's at

|Zach|
04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Bracing for someone to talk up the most overrated burgers ever at Westport Flea Market.

BCD
04-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Haven't tried it yet but it is definitely on my list. Heard good things. I tried Five Guys for the first time last month. It was decent but nothing special IMO. I still need to try BRGR Kitchen as well. I think one of the best burgers in KC in at Fric and Frac.I thought it was a little better than Five Guys. I could really notice the quality in the beef.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Oh well hell yes it's better than fast food burgers. And I've never eaten at Red Robin, I'm partial to a local chain called Don & Millie's. A national chain has to have something pretty outstanding for me to choose them over a local guy.

LiveSteam
04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
LUV D.Ms over by your house.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Shit, I forgot about your avatar again.

Chocolate Hog
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Haven't tried it yet but it is definitely on my list. Heard good things. I tried Five Guys for the first time last month. It was decent but nothing special IMO. I still need to try BRGR Kitchen as well. I think one of the best burgers in KC in at Fric and Frac.

39th street thats whats up.

Chocolate Hog
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Bracing for someone to talk up the most overrated burgers ever at Westport Flea Market.

Flea Markets aren't bad though I always order the chicken panini. Used to get that all the time before Joe Joes moved into the Flea Market.

Bump
04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Shit, I forgot about your avatar again.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/Headbutt-dexter-9352148-254-143.gif

threebag02
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM

This. Really wasn't impressed.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2011, 07:21 PM
smash burger sucks.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM

There's a Smashburger about six blocks from my office now, but I haven't been there yet. I should do that. However, there's some little independent place about 4 blocks in the other direction that has great burgers and fantastic fries. It's hard to move past them to try a new place, because they pretty much grade out at a 97 or 98.

And yeah, Red Robin rules. My wife and I both love Red Robin, so it's a relatively frequent outing when we want to pick up a cheap and tasty 2,000 calorie meal.

jspchief
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Had it tonight. I think it's pretty good, but not something you go out of your way for. Better than fast food. It's a good burger.

Superturtle
04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Red Robin good? Fucking 10 dollars for a burger the size of something off of McDonalds dollar menu? No thanks...

GloryDayz
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I found this gem in Fargo and it was one of the best burgers I've ever had..

JL Beers...

http://www.jlbeers.com/

keg in kc
04-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Smashburger is awesome. So is 5 guys. So is Culver's.

The only problem with Smashburger is that their fries are a whole lot better if you dine in than if you take out. You get a smaller order if you take out, and every single time they've been soggy. I love the huge variety of sides they have, though (fried pickles, onion strings, sweet potato fries, etc). They have good dogs, too. And shakes.

5 guys is really, really good. I finally got smart and stopped getting their biggest burger and large fries. It's too much (I can't believe I'm saying that...). Love their bacon and cheese hot dog too.

And Culver's is just all-around great. Good burgers, good fries, good cheese curds, good custard.

On a slightly different tack, a Firehouse Subs (http://www.firehousesubs.com/) opened up near the Target at 119th and Metcalf, and it's damned good.

The above post explains both why I'm so fat and why I'm so broke.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Culver's has cheese curds? :hmmm:

keg in kc
04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Culver's has cheese curds? :hmmm:Indeed they do (http://www.culvers.com/menu/nutrition.aspx?id=268).

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Indeed they do (http://www.culvers.com/menu/nutrition.aspx?id=268).
Damn, I did not know that. No one around here has those, I'm going there tomorrow.

GloryDayz
04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Damn, I did not know that. No one around here has those, I'm going there tomorrow.

What's a Cheese Curd? We have a Culver's here in Lee's Summit, so sometime when I'm not on the road, I may have to go.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
What's a Cheese Curd? We have a Culver's here in Lee's Summit, so sometime when I'm not on the road, I may have to go.
Click the link in keg's post, they are wonderful little chunks of deep fried cheese. The only time I've ever had them was when I was in Wisconsin Dells.

Urc Burry
04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
For me it goes:
In n out

5 guys

I onlyhad in n out twice and it is by far the best fast food burger I've had

keg in kc
04-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Click the link in keg's post, they are wonderful little chunks of deep fried cheese. The only time I've ever had them was when I was in Wisconsin Dells.They are evil.

Evil.

Demonpenz
04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
fords or cabana always had little fried cheese balls even with pepper jack

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Red Robin good? ****ing 10 dollars for a burger the size of something off of McDonalds dollar menu? No thanks...

They're pretty big burgers, I think, and you can add free refills on french fries to get a big, big win.

dirk digler
04-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Hey now I like WFM burgers. Though I think the best ones I have had in KC is at Town Topic. I definitely recommend going there and trying it out.

Sure-Oz
04-13-2011, 08:35 PM
They're pretty big burgers, I think, and you can add free refills on french fries to get a big, big win.

Agreed, you get unlimited fries...love their 5 alarm burger

GloryDayz
04-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Click the link in keg's post, they are wonderful little chunks of deep fried cheese. The only time I've ever had them was when I was in Wisconsin Dells.

Well I'm in... And I'm scheduled for Madison, WI in July, so I'll look there too...

DeezNutz
04-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Smashburger is awesome. So is 5 guys. So is Culver's.

The only problem with Smashburger is that their fries are a whole lot better if you dine in than if you take out. You get a smaller order if you take out, and every single time they've been soggy. I love the huge variety of sides they have, though (fried pickles, onion strings, sweet potato fries, etc). They have good dogs, too. And shakes.

5 guys is really, really good. I finally got smart and stopped getting their biggest burger and large fries. It's too much (I can't believe I'm saying that...). Love their bacon and cheese hot dog too.

And Culver's is just all-around great. Good burgers, good fries, good cheese curds, good custard.

On a slightly different tack, a Firehouse Subs (http://www.firehousesubs.com/) opened up near the Target at 119th and Metcalf, and it's damned good.

The above post explains both why I'm so fat and why I'm so broke.

While I've always respected you as an interwebz friend, your love for Culver's demonstrates, definitively, that you're not a dumbass.

Please instruct: what should one order at Firehouse Subs? I loves me a great sub sandwich. Have you tried Jersey Boyz? Local favorite for those in southern JOCO.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Well I'm in... And I'm scheduled for Madison, WI in July, so I'll look there too...
Oh, you'll definitely find them there, they're a Wisconsin thing. I've never seen them anywhere else.

keg in kc
04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
While I've always respected you as an interwebz friend, your love for Culver's demonstrates, definitively, that you're not a dumbass.

Please instruct: what should one order at Firehouse Subs? I loves me a great sub sandwich. Have you tried Jersey Boyz? Local favorite for those in southern JOCO.I had Jersey Boyz years ago, but haven't lately.

At Firehouse I've had the Hook & Ladder, which is turkey, ham and cheese, and the Club on a Sub, which is basically the H&L with bacon. They were both good. The thing I like is that they use smoked turkey and honey ham, so it's a little bit different taste than places like Subway or Jimmy Johns. And you can order online, which I love. It's halfway between work and home, so the timing is perfect. (Ditto for 5 guys).

I've long been a fan of Planet Sub, also. I was disappointed to discover a month or two ago that their Brisket sub is no more (although it still shows up on their online menu (?)). Usually grab a half Planet Sub and a half Creamy Crab.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Agreed, you get unlimited fries...love their 5 alarm burger

Bottomless fries represents the high point of western civilization. I simply can't imagine going up from there.

dirk digler
04-13-2011, 09:23 PM
half Creamy Crabs.

Jeez keg you have STD's too?

BCD
04-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I just discovered there is a Culvers only 25mi from me.

I may have to try them next week.

BCD
04-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Red Robin good? Fucking 10 dollars for a burger the size of something off of McDonalds dollar menu? No thanks...Moron. The point of eating at these other Burger chains is to get a great tasting burger.

They're not cheap like typical fastfood. No one said they were. I'd much rather spend $15 for a good burger and fries at RR, than $5 for the sewage they serve at McGarbage.

Al Bundy
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I live within 10 minutes of a Five Guys, SmashBurger and a Culvers. But my favorite burger is still from Paul's on Blue Ridge.

L.A. Chieffan
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
had the 2 for .99 burger at am/pm tonight. fantastic.

Miles
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
There's a Smashburger about six blocks from my office now, but I haven't been there yet. I should do that. However, there's some little independent place about 4 blocks in the other direction that has great burgers and fantastic fries. It's hard to move past them to try a new place, because they pretty much grade out at a 97 or 98.

This great local place have a name?

Superturtle
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Maybe its just a singular chain of Red Robin, but the ones up here are usually pretty empty and the burgers aren't that good. Service takes forever for anything. It sounds like an isolated problem.

L.A. Chieffan
04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
at red robin i just order fries and water and get unlimited refills while i wwatch the day games on wgn. then i skip the check real quick when theyre not looking. the bar is right next to the exit. the service sucks

Superturtle
04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
BackYard Burgers was pretty good in Blue Springs, though

keg in kc
Jeez keg you have STD's too?From my crotch straight to the bun. Little extra protein.

DeezNutz
I had Jersey Boyz years ago, but haven't lately.

Thanks for the advice, dude. But please don't continue to perpetuate the above mistake. Get yourself a #2, stick with mayo, and thank me later.

|Zach|
Hey now I like WFM burgers. Though I think the best ones I have had in KC is at Town Topic. I definitely recommend going there and trying it out.

They are not bad. I always have a good experience at WFM but before seem to go gah gah about it being the best burger in town. No way.

I am a fan of Town Topic. Double cheese with an egg on top.

keg in kc
BackYard Burgers was pretty good in Blue Springs, thoughI wasn't happy when the one here in OP closed. :(

Superturtle
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Loved that Burger with the shredded cheddar on it. #2 I Believe.

keg in kc
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, dude. But please don't continue to perpetuate the above mistake. Get yourself a #2, stick with mayo, and thank me later.I used to work over in Stanley, so I'd drive by there regularly. But my studio moved to Overland Park in, ah, 2007 I think. It's pretty far out of the way now, unfortunately.

There used to be a mexican place near there I liked too. Can't remember the name.

DeezNutz
04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
I used to work over in Stanley, so I'd drive by there regularly. But my studio moved to Overland Park in, ah, 2007 I think. It's pretty far out of the way now, unfortunately.

There used to be a mexican place near there I liked too. Can't remember the name.

Jalapenos.

Ok. Maybe didn't age as well as one would like.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
This great local place have a name?

I'm not sure it does. It's in the food court of the biggest building downtown (Republic Plaza, down in the basement).

Actually, it does have a name, but it's something generic like Rocky Mountain Deli or something. They sell other sandwiches and salads that are good, but the burgers and fries are the thing to get.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe its just a singular chain of Red Robin, but the ones up here are usually pretty empty and the burgers aren't that good. Service takes forever for anything. It sounds like an isolated problem.

How odd. The ones here are quite popular and quite delicious.

keg in kc
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
I still think my favorite burger place is LC's up near KCI, but I haven't been there in a few years. So maybe it only has a legendary status in my brain.

Miles
04-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure it does. It's in the food court of the biggest building downtown (Republic Plaza, down in the basement).

Actually, it does have a name, but it's something generic like Rocky Mountain Deli or something. They sell other sandwiches and salads that are good, but the burgers and fries are the thing to get.

Thanks. I will have to hit that up sometime.

Recently discovered Park Burger (on Pearl just north of Evans near Sushi Den) and it is pretty excellent. It is one of those trendy gourmet burger places but the prices are not bad.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks. I will have to hit that up sometime.

Definitely. If you go down the outside steps next to the plaza (west of the Starbucks), it's the first food court place on your right when you go through the revolving door. It doesn't look like much, but it's a winner.

I didn't know you were downtown. Any secret places that you know about that have great food?

dirk digler
04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
They are not bad. I always have a good experience at WFM but before seem to go gah gah about it being the best burger in town. No way.

I used to think they were the best but no longer.

Never had an egg on a burger before, that is a new one to me.

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I used to think they were the best but no longer.

Never had an egg on a burger before, that is a new one to me.
I'm pretty sure Fatburger does the egg thing too, but I've never gone out of my way to go there.

salame
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
is there a Fatburger in NE?

Bugeater
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it's in a suburb south of town and I rarely get down that way.

Just Passin' By
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM

NEBRASKA
Shadowlake
View map / Driving Directions
7902 Towne Center Parkway
Papillion, NE 68046
P: 402-504-9930
F: 402-504-9931
Operating Hours: Sun-Thu: 11am-9pm|F-Sat:11am-10pm

http://www.fatburger.com/location/locationsbystate.aspx

salame
04-13-2011, 10:29 PM

dammit
I went there when I was on the west coast and it was pretty awesome.

Saulbadguy
04-14-2011, 06:50 AM

How about a TRIPLE KONG?

SuperChief
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
For me it goes:
In n out

5 guys

This. In N Out is fucking fantastic. Anybody who says different can go play in traffic.

Spicy McHaggis
04-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Speaking of burgers in the Madison, WI area. They brew pretty decent beer at the Great Dane too, I'd hit up the Downtown location personally.

THE GREAT DANE’S BRAT & BACON PRETZEL BURGER

A one-third pound U.S.D.A. choice ground beef* patty and a one-quarter pound bratwurst* patty grilled with caramelized onions and topped with Applewood smoked bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, lettuce, pickles and tomato. Served on a pretzel roll with a side of Peck’s Pilsner mustard.

Pants
04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
KC really needs In and Out, Whataburger and Jack in the Box. As far as Firehouse subs go, I gave it an honest 2 tries a couple of months ago and it's just not my thing. Honestly, I feel like Quizno's is better than that place. PlanetSub is till the very best, though.

Hey, Keg, you ever try the Philly Cheese Steak from PepperJax (135th and Metcalf, same plaza as Jimmy John's)? I'm addicted to those damn things.

Deberg_1990
04-14-2011, 09:22 AM
KC really needs In and Out, Whataburger and Jack in the Box.

I think part of what makes those places good is that they are "regional". If there was one on every street corner, they would be McDonalds.

Freddys is another good burger place down here in Texas...not sure about up north?

I also like Braums Burgers in Oklahoma and Kansas. Oh...and Hi-Boy in Independence when im in KC area.

5 Guys is ok...love the overflowing bag of Fries.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Red Robin good? ****ing 10 dollars for a burger the size of something off of McDonalds dollar menu? No thanks...

you are an idiot if you think RR is anywhere close to a McDonald's burger.

Bugeater
04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
How about a TRIPLE KONG?
I only ate at King Kong one time, the burger smelled like old grease. Maybe I caught them on a bad day or something but I never went back.

sedated
04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
KC really needs In and Out, Whataburger and Jack in the Box.

In & Out will likely never come here. Whataburger is close enough that they might; I know they have some near Manhattan KS. I've heard they are building a Jack in the Box in KCK, and will expand into other metro areas soon.

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Smashburger is not bad. Basically what you'd get at a sit down restaurant in a quick service. Kind of pricey.

One thing I don't recommend is the olive oil fries, whatever they are called. Not so great. The burgers are good. It's like a quicker Red Robin (but without the expansive menu)

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 11:31 AM
KC really needs In and Out, Whataburger and Jack in the Box. As far as Firehouse subs go, I gave it an honest 2 tries a couple of months ago and it's just not my thing. Honestly, I feel like Quizno's is better than that place. PlanetSub is till the very best, though.

Hey, Keg, you ever try the Philly Cheese Steak from PepperJax (135th and Metcalf, same plaza as Jimmy John's)? I'm addicted to those damn things.

Culver's is down there, you don't need any of those other joints!

TrickyNicky
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I like the Olive Oil fries, I believe they are called Smashfries. As long as you get them fresh and don't take them home they are great.

I still would rather have a double at Freddy's, but Smashburger is decent enough.

Fish
04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Blanc Burgers and Bottles is a pretty decent burger. And their onion rings are the shiznit....

Pants
04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Culver's is down there, you don't need any of those other joints!

I actually went to Culver's on Sunday night for the first time ever. I'm not a huge fan of the pancaked burgers. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? That's why I like Five Guys, their shit is so thick and juicy.

keg in kc
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not much of a cheesesteak guy.

I haven't been to Quiznos for a long time. Used to like that place, too.

Superturtle
04-14-2011, 11:49 AM
you are an idiot if you think RR is anywhere close to a McDonald's burger.
It must be a regional deal then. Im way up in NY so it might be better in MO. My main gripes are that for taht much money, the burgers really should be bigger. Service up here is non-existent, and for some reason its damn near impossible to get even 1 refill on the fries. Maybe I should go when it isn't a busy period,I know that the IHOP up here is the worst breakfast place around here, and that is really saying something. IHOP off of I-70 in Independence was always good, but up here its like a ghost town.

BCD
04-14-2011, 11:51 AM
It must be a regional deal then. Im way up in NY so it might be better in MO. My main gripes are that for taht much money, the burgers really should be bigger. Service up here is non-existent, and for some reason its damn near impossible to get even 1 refill on the fries. Maybe I should go when it isn't a busy period,I know that the IHOP up here is the worst breakfast place around here, and that is really saying something. IHOP off of I-70 in Independence was always good, but up here its like a ghost town.I think that particular restaurant is just under poor management.

BCD
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM

I haven't been to Quiznos for a long time. Used to like that place, too.4 yrs ago, Quiznos was the shit. They suck now.

Superturtle
I think that particular restaurant is just under poor management.
Must be. I never went to Red Robin in MO because BackYardBurgers was so much closer to where I lived.

Pants

I haven't been to Quiznos for a long time. Used to like that place, too.

Dang, that's too bad. I would literally eat PepperJax every day if I didn't give a damn about my body/health.

BCD
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I actually went to Culver's on Sunday night for the first time ever. I'm not a huge fan of the pancaked burgers. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? That's why I like Five Guys, their shit is so thick and juicy.I've never had Culvers, so I cant comment, but I've had 5 guys. Smashburger's patties are just as thick as 5 Guys.

Pants
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I've never had Culvers, so I cant comment, but I've had 5 guys. Smashburger's patties are just as thick as 5 Guys.

I've been to the one on 119th and Glenwood (by Starbucks) twice and it just didn't do it for me, man. I don't know.

Blick
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I really want the Resist Temptation from So Long.

BCD
04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
I've been to the one on 119th and Glenwood (by Starbucks) twice and it just didn't do it for me, man. I don't know.I'd imagine there are going to be subtle differences in these places across the country.

keg in kc
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
I've been to the one on 119th and Glenwood (by Starbucks) twice and it just didn't do it for me, man. I don't know.There's another one where Honeybaked Ham used to be around 119th and Strang Line, and I can't tell a difference between the two.

(I like them both...)

Garcia Bronco
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Good joint, but way over-priced.

Pestilence
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
5 Guys is pretty overrated.

Pants
04-14-2011, 12:11 PM
You know who has a surprisingly good burger? Old Chicago, man. Their mushroom swiss is freaking amazing. It drips enough juices when you bite it to fill up a freaking bucket.

BCD
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
5 Guys is pretty overrated.If you think 5 Guys is overrated, then you think they are on a par with McDs, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

Thats insane.

There isnt much difference between 5 Guys, Smashburger, and RR.

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I actually went to Culver's on Sunday night for the first time ever. I'm not a huge fan of the pancaked burgers. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? That's why I like Five Guys, their shit is so thick and juicy.

Culver's isn't in the class of red robin or anything, it's better than fast food though. The real beauty is the cheap prices, expansive menu and the dessert options.

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
It must be a regional deal then. Im way up in NY so it might be better in MO. My main gripes are that for taht much money, the burgers really should be bigger. Service up here is non-existent, and for some reason its damn near impossible to get even 1 refill on the fries. Maybe I should go when it isn't a busy period,I know that the IHOP up here is the worst breakfast place around here, and that is really saying something. IHOP off of I-70 in Independence was always good, but up here its like a ghost town.

That doesnt sound like a red robin at all, the burgers are pretty large. I doubt corporate is sending different stock and bun sizes and everything else to that one store

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd imagine there are going to be subtle differences in these places across the country.

I think five guys is overrated too. Just another burger place in the "better than fast food" mold.

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 01:41 PM
You know who has a surprisingly good burger? Old Chicago, man. Their mushroom swiss is freaking amazing. It drips enough juices when you bite it to fill up a freaking bucket.

Agreed. They have good food in general and a nice beer selection. Underrated

DJ's left nut
04-14-2011, 01:43 PM

And if you pay an extra $1, you get them with garlic butter. And, being a fat person in a skinny body, I tend to ask for the waitress to bring some out ahead of the burger so I can munch on them before the burger gets there.

I love me some Red Robin, but there's no question that it's pretty overpriced.

As to the Culvers suggestion - that's one of the best chain burgers. Whataburger tops them, as does Braums, but Culver's makes a tasty burger.

Five Guys is good, but not amazing. It's right on par with the rest of the names above but some folks absolutely wet themselves over it - I don't get it.

Just Passin' By
04-14-2011, 01:44 PM
They just opened up a 5 guys in my area. It was a big disappointment.

Saulbadguy
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Their food is pretty decent. I get tired of it though, been there many, many times. (world beer tour)

Bugeater
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a Culver's sourdough burger on my desk that I'm about to dig into...it looks pretty greasy. I was pretty underwhelmed by the cheese curds, they were a bit overcooked.

dirk digler
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Culver's isn't in the class of red robin or anything, it's better than fast food though. The real beauty is the cheap prices, expansive menu and the dessert options.

My personal preference I would probably rather have Culver's than Red Robin or 5 guys.

Buddy Rich
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Just beware of the Pink Slime in your burgers. It's everywhere.

Bugeater
04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Just beware of the Pink Slime in your burgers. It's everywhere.
Heh...I didn't recognize your username and wondered why I had you on ignore, then I clicked 'view post' and realized why.

Pestilence
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
If you think 5 Guys is overrated, then you think they are on a par with McDs, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

Thats insane.

There isnt much difference between 5 Guys, Smashburger, and RR.

I don't even view McDs, Wendys or Burger King as "burger joints". They're fast food and they get lumped in with all of the other fast food. I view 5 Guys as a "burger joint".

Just Passin' By
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Johnny Rockets, either pro or con, yet.

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Johnny Rockets, either pro or con, yet.

I've never eaten at one here, but there is one in Cairo. Funny.

BCD
04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Johnny Rockets, either pro or con, yet.Never heard of them. There is one in Cincinnati. I'm gonna check them out this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

CHENZ A!
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Smashburger was shitty when I had it. I very rarely order burgers when eating out. I just feel like I can make them much better at home. That said, In n Out is the truth, and five guys was actually pretty damn good too.

Saw someone mention Firehouse Subs earlier.. I've never eaten there, but they are doing a promotion where anytime the Chicago Fire loses youget a free sub with purchase of a drink and chips. They play tonight on espn2.

|Zach|
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
4 yrs ago, Quiznos was the shit. They suck now.

Yea, I have had that same experience.

|Zach|
04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I have only had Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship strangely enough...but...it was quite good. A special burger IMO.

keg in kc
04-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I have a Culver's sourdough burger on my desk that I'm about to dig into...it looks pretty greasy. I was pretty underwhelmed by the cheese curds, they were a bit overcooked.Sorry dude.

What can I say...everything's better in Olathe!

BCD
04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Yea, I have had that same experience.What the hell happened to them?

I loved their Prime Rib Peppercorn. It was $10 for a footlong, but that thing was loaded with meat. It was tasty.

Bugeater
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry dude.

What can I say...everything's better in Olathe!
Oh hell, it's not your fault, I didn't expect them to live up to a real Wisconsin cheese curd anyway. The burger was pretty good so I'm going to try out another location sometime.

Stewie
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
With the way commodity prices are going I wonder who's going to pay $14 for a fast food lunch? I guarantee they'll look for shortcuts or have no customers.

|Zach|
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
What the hell happened to them?

I loved their Prime Rib Peppercorn. It was $10 for a footlong, but that thing was loaded with meat. It was tasty.

Yes, that was really really good. They also had a steak and blue cheese type salad that I liked a lot.

If I pop in there now I get a ham and cheese type sandwich with some broc + cheese soup which is still good but it just isn't the same.

keg in kc
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh hell, it's not your fault, I didn't expect them to live up to a real Wisconsin cheese curd anyway. The burger was pretty good so I'm going to try out another location sometime.Yeah, I go for the burgers, not the curds. Double bacon deluxe! :drool:

Oh, and if I'm being reeeeally bad, a Brownie Batter Concrete.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-14-2011, 04:45 PM
And if you pay an extra $1, you get them with garlic butter. And, being a fat person in a skinny body, I tend to ask for the waitress to bring some out ahead of the burger so I can munch on them before the burger gets there.

As to the Culvers suggestion - that's one of the best chain burgers. Whataburger tops them, as does Braums, but Culver's makes a tasty burger.

Five Guys is good, but not amazing. It's right on par with the rest of the names above but some folks absolutely wet themselves over it - I don't get it.

How is $9 for a large, restaurant style burger with a wide variety of special toppings and AYCE fries expensive?

I couldn't get out of Smashburger for that, and I get 2/3rds the food.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not a quiznos fan, but their new(er) chipotle prime rib is delicious.

Chocolate Hog
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

You ever had Chubbys?

Pants
04-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm not a quiznos fan, but their new(er) chipotle prime rib is delicious.

I'm a fan of hot sandwiches, man, and their toasted subs are all freaking money.

DrRyan
04-14-2011, 05:31 PM
For me it goes:
In n out

5 guys

Double Double animal style FTW!

Make sure you have your piece on you if you go to Town Topic after dark though. :)

CHENZ A!
04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Town Topic is horrible IMO, and it's damn hard to make something taste bad to a person that is drunk and high at 3:30AM. I'd rather wait in line at Panchos down the street than eat that shit.

CHENZ A!
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
And I'm dead serious, why the fuck can't we get a damn White Castle open late night in KC? I'll have the cab driver roll me through there and pick up a suitcase every Saturday night.

|Zach|
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
You ever had Chubbys?

Yea, a couple times. It has never been bad but never been good. I generally don't go but if a late night swings that way they have a decent burger.

Chocolate Hog
04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Double Double animal style FTW!

Make sure you have your piece on you if you go to Town Topic after dark though. :)

Thats not a bad part of town at all.

|Zach|
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Nah.

KCUnited
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
And I'm dead serious, why the **** can't we get a damn White Castle open late night in KC? I'll have the cab driver roll me through there and pick up a suitcase every Saturday night.

I haven't seen a White Castle in KC since the one on Linwood and Gillham became a Churches.

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
And I'm dead serious, why the **** can't we get a damn White Castle open late night in KC? I'll have the cab driver roll me through there and pick up a suitcase every Saturday night.

You think town topic sucks and you want a white castle? I wouldn't feed that garbage to a dog. Even though that greasy paste they thinly brush on a "bun" (dinner roll) might be graded for dog food, I still wouldnt do that to any animal I cared about.

CHENZ A!
04-14-2011, 08:47 PM
I haven't seen a White Castle in KC since the one on Linwood and Gillham became a Churches.

There was one on 87th and Metcalf when I was a kid. Pops and I would go grab some sliders then take em home and watch the game. Good times.

CHENZ A!
04-14-2011, 08:49 PM
You think town topic sucks and you want a white castle? I wouldn't feed that garbage to a dog. Even though that greasy paste they thinly brush on a "bun" (dinner roll) might be graded for dog food, I still wouldnt do that to any animal I cared about.

That is definitely a place that you either LOVE or HATE. Some people hate Arthur Bryant's because it has a distinct flavor.

QuikSsurfer
04-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, WTF is up with that? This is why Steak/Shake and Winsteads burgers fucking suck.

I miss the fuck out of Winsteads' limeaids... Their burgers hit the spot, when I was grownin up.

Raiderhater58
04-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Firehouse Subs Meatball Sub is AWESOME!!

JOhn
04-15-2011, 03:32 AM
That is definitely a place that you either LOVE or HATE. Some people hate Arthur Bryant's because it has a distinct flavor.

Bryant's is DA BOMB!!!!

NewChief
04-15-2011, 05:13 AM

That's crazy that you list Braum's if it's the same Braum's we have here (sells ice cream and groceries and stuff as well?). It's not very popular around here. I don't mind their food, and I eat their ice cream with the kids regularly (it's cheap). No one around here gives their burgers much love, though. I may have to try them again (my wife and I have actually speculated that Braum's might become trendy again, but they need to update their store image).

CHENZ A!
04-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Bryant's is DA BOMB!!!!

To me it's the best BBQ in the world hands down.

blaise
04-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Red Robin is good, but it's a bit expensive, plus there's a waitress so you have to add a tip. I like their fries. Culvers is good, especially if you want somewhere you can eat with your kids.
They're opening In n Out in the Dallas area. One is opening just a few miles from my house in Frisco, TX. So, maybe they'll move up to KC someday. I'm going to try it to see if it's as good as people say, or if people from the west coast just hype it up because they know midwesterners can't get it.

Pants
04-15-2011, 08:09 AM
I miss the **** out of Winsteads' limeaids... Their burgers hit the spot, when I was grownin up.

Yeah, the limeade is the best thing about Winstead's. Truly a work of art.

Saulbadguy
04-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Red Robin is good, but it is fucking annoying. It's full of bullshit for kids. On Sundays sometimes they have a fat, disgusting sweaty slob dressed as a clown walking around making balloon animals (have seen this in separate RR locations).

Five Guys is good, but people think it is better than it really is, so it's really fucking crowded, and you have to sit next to morons and pigs. Their burgers are simple but good, and their fries are divine.

I would like a burger restaurant that had some semblance of an atmosphere, decent beer on tap, and the same quality of food as both Five Guys and RR.

Pants
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Red Robin is good, but it is ****ing annoying. It's full of bullshit for kids. On Sundays sometimes they have a fat, disgusting sweaty slob dressed as a clown walking around making balloon animals (have seen this in separate RR locations).

Five Guys is good, but people think it is better than it really is, so it's really ****ing crowded, and you have to sit next to morons and pigs. Their burgers are simple but good, and their fries are divine.

I would like a burger restaurant that had some semblance of an atmosphere, decent beer on tap, and the same quality of food as both Five Guys and RR.
Something like Henry T's?

Saulbadguy
04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Something like Henry T's?

Henry T's does not specialize in burgers.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Henry T's does not specialize in burgers.

I'd have to say that while that is not all they serve, that is what they appear to favor. The menu has about a dozen burger options.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Red Robin is good, but it is ****ing annoying. It's full of bullshit for kids. On Sundays sometimes they have a fat, disgusting sweaty slob dressed as a clown walking around making balloon animals (have seen this in separate RR locations).

Five Guys is good, but people think it is better than it really is, so it's really ****ing crowded, and you have to sit next to morons and pigs. Their burgers are simple but good, and their fries are divine.

Have you tried the Burger Stand in Lawrence?

blaise
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM

I hate the balloon guy at places. They come up to your table all dressed up, and your kids think "Hey a balloon animal!" Well, I don't want to pay some guy to stand at my table and make balloons, and I don't want to tip him. So, I tell him no, and then it's like I'm telling my kid he's not getting something he thought he was getting a minute ago. Not that my kids get upset when I say no, but I don't want to deal with it when I'm at a meal. Don't sell to my kids.

Pants
04-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Where's that at? Is it a new place?

Saulbadguy
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Don't make it to Lawrence much, no reason to go there really.

MOhillbilly
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Taylors.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Don't make it to Lawrence much, no reason to go there really.

It's worth the drive sometime...

http://thecasbahburgerstand.com/Menu.html

Saulbadguy
04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
It's worth the drive sometime...

http://thecasbahburgerstand.com/Menu.html

I believe the owner is opening one here in the College Hill area...or did that fall through already?

mikeyis4dcats.
04-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I believe the owner is opening one here in the College Hill area...or did that fall through already?

If you read between the lines, that was an "option" on the space , i.e. help me drum up some buzz and maybe ill take some money off next months rent in lawrence. College hill is on life support.

Bewbies
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Smashburger just opened in Atlanta, heading there for dinner tonight. Interested to see how they stack up to Five Guys and US Cafe down here.

Bewbies
07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Firehouse Subs Meatball Sub is AWESOME!!

Firehouse Subs is awesome, but my favorite thing there right now is the cherry limeaid. YUUUUUMMMMMM!

BCD
07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Smashburger just opened in Atlanta, heading there for dinner tonight. Interested to see how they stack up to Five Guys and US Cafe down here.Get the sweet potato fries.

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Smashburger just opened in Atlanta, heading there for dinner tonight. Interested to see how they stack up to Five Guys and US Cafe down here.

You need to try Yeah Burger still - in 'The Highlands'

vailpass
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Funny. Some of you get all excited over a chain opening up. Where I am we have every conceivable chain store known to man and I could give a crap about any of them.
But I'd kill to have some of the independent eateries and bars you guys have all over the place.

DeezNutz
07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Not good. Not impressed.

jiveturkey
07-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Smashburgers are always dry. Give me a grease soaked 5 Guy.

BRGR has some good stuff.

Paul's, Hi Boy and Winsteads are also regular burger stops for me.

There's also a place up North that I hit every now and then but I can't remember the name.

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.yeahburger.com/

Pants
07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Honestly, if you're in the OP area (Olathe, Lenexa, Leawood, etc) and you feel like a good burger, go to J. Alexander's. You will like it, I promise.

Stewie
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
No wonder these places can expand. $12 for a burger/fries/drink?

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Honestly, if you're in the OP area (Olathe, Lenexa, Leawood, etc) and you feel like a good burger, go to J. Alexander's. You will like it, I promise.

I can't get away from their club sandwich - lol

Pants
07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
No wonder these places can expand. $12 for a burger/fries/drink?

It's worth it, man. It doesn't matter what you get there, it will be expertly prepared and it will be high quality ingredients. It's probably my favorite chain.

EDIT: I'm talking about J. Alexander's, not the Smashburger (which doesn't really compare), I just realized you were probably talking about the latter, lol.

Pants
07-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I can't get away from their club sandwich - lol

Yeah, the only complaint I have about the place is their thin fries, I'm not a big fan of those. It's nothing major though. :D

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks a lot - I got so hungry up in here - I ordered a veggie-lo mein add beef. Extra soy sauce.

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah, the only complaint I have about the place is their thin fries, I'm not a big fan of those. It's nothing major though. :D

They're not terrible - I use their honey mustard for dipping the fries in, i know it's childish, but it's soooo good.

Stewie
07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
It's worth it, man. It doesn't matter what you get there, it will be expertly prepared and it will be high quality ingredients. It's probably my favorite chain.

EDIT: I'm talking about J. Alexander's, not the Smashburger (which doesn't really compare), I just realized you were probably talking about the latter, lol.

I looked at the J. Alexander website. That's far from a quick lunch/burger place. I'm sure they do a good burger, but there are many restaurants like that who do a great burger in that category.

Pants
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I looked at the J. Alexander website. That's far from a quick lunch/burger place. I'm sure they do a good burger, but there are many restaurants like that who do a great burger in that category.

I was just talking about a good burger. I'm sure there are plenty of restaurants like it, I just don't know of many around here. :)

Rain Man
07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I had my first Smashburger burger the other day. The burger was pretty darn good but pretty darn expensive. The service was horrific. After staring at the bag containing my burger under the heat lamp while the two counter girls were respectively having their own snacks and talking to their boyfriend, I finally asked them if they'd mind me going back there to pick it up. They'd forgotten that I existed even though I was six feet from them waiting.

Baby Lee
07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Bottomless fries represents the high point of western civilization. I simply can't imagine going up from there.

Two words, campfire sauce.

Or a slightly more verbose improvement, have 1/2 of your party get a side salad substitute, and the other 1/2 stay with the fries, still bottomless, but now you have salad too.

Bewbies
07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
You need to try Yeah Burger still - in 'The Highlands'

I've been wanting to try that and Googie Burger...

Bewbies
07-11-2011, 05:30 PM
If Smashburger is the best your area offers I feel bad for you. It's good, not great. I can think of 5 burger joints within 5 miles of my house that are way better....I was hoping for better.

BCD
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
If Smashburger is the best your area offers I feel bad for you. It's good, not great. I can think of 5 burger joints within 5 miles of my house that are way better....I was hoping for better.Location has something to do with it as well. I've been to 3 different Five Guys and the one I went to in Akron is better than the 2 I've been to in SW Ohio.

I've only been to one Smashburger. It was very good quality.

MoreLemonPledge
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
http://img.listal.com/image/262985/600full-good-burger-cover.jpg

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 05:47 PM

It's still a good spot man, it's a half a notch below Houstons, Houstons standards can't be denied. I drop about thirty five (@Houstons) going solo, but love it everytime. :)

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 05:48 PM
http://img.listal.com/image/262985/600full-good-burger-cover.jpg

:clap:

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Location has something to do with it as well. I've been to 3 different Five Guys and the one I went to in Akron is better than the 2 I've been to in SW Ohio.

I've only been to one Smashburger. It was very good quality.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! Yep, regardless of restaurant.

RustShack
07-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I ate there last week and I loved it. I haven't been disappointed either time I ate there. The only thing I don't like is the price. I've been hearing a lot of great things about that Five Guys place or whatever here lately.. wish there was one in Waterloo.

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I ate there last week and I loved it. I haven't been disappointed either time I ate there. The only thing I don't like is the price. I've been hearing a lot of great things about that Five Guys place or whatever here lately.. wish there was one in Waterloo.

It's good, Atlanta has tons of five-guys, i've hit it probably eight times or so, total. Never any issues. But it ain't no Houstons.

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-31-2011, 08:37 AM
I ate at Smashburger yesterday. It was a pretty good burger.

lcarus
07-31-2011, 11:05 AM

http://www.avclub.com/denver/articles/food-court-hell-at-the-republic-plaza,36248/

Bi_polar
07-31-2011, 11:09 AM
we just got a Smashburger here in Atlanta, well one, that i KNOW of, it's in Duluth on 141 - I'm pretty sure they're still prepping it for opening.

DaFace
07-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Mmm-mmmm...that IS a tasty burger!

I love their Spicy Baja burger especially.

BCD
07-21-2012, 12:41 PM
My new favorite burger.

Terry's Turf Club, in Cincinnati.

They were featured on Triple D.

Go there.

lcarus
07-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I didn't think Smash Burger was that good. Decent but not worth it really.

BCD
07-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I didn't think Smash Burger was that good. Decent but not worth it really.

Certainly better than any of the usual FF joints.

I like them better than Five guys or Red Robin.

Baby Lee
07-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Hadn't been in a while, went back recently.

Can report, Blueberry Hill is still THE SHIZZNIT for burgers. Especially the Bleu Cheese Burger.

Surprisingly [though it shouldn't be], the breakfast platter my dad ordered was one of the best breakfasts we'd seen anywhere for some time. Particularly their sausage patties. Best ground sausage we've had anywhere in recent memory.

Chocolate Hog
07-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Five Guys > Smashburger

Saul Good
07-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Bump

ChiefsNow
07-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Banburger

mnchiefsguy
07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Five Guys > Smashburger

Had Smashburger for the first time today. It was pretty good, but I would rate Five Guys just a little better. Both places are good, but if they are side by side, I would be going into Five Guys more often.

DeezNutz
07-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Best burger?

Grass-fed beef with high-quality, toasted bun on your own grill.

Just not a fan of any of the "next tier" FF places like Smashburger, Five Guys, etc. While I'm not anti-FF, these places just don't impress me. I'll take a Culver's burger over these places any day and every day.

mnchiefsguy
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Best burger?

Grass-fed beef with high-quality, toasted bun on your own grill.

Just not a fan of any of the "next tier" FF places like Smashburger, Five Guys, etc. While I'm not anti-FF, these places just don't impress me. I'll take a Culver's burger over these places any day and every day.

I like Culver's too. Places like these make a good burger, but not necessarily food that you would drive 50 miles out of your way to get. The Smashburger we went too was out on 119th, and is not close to where we live, but we were on that end of town. Not sure I would drive out there just specifically to get a burger from there.

sedated
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
For some reason, I never find myself craving a burger. Ever. Maybe its a case of fast food overload from when I was a kid; Id bet from the age of 10-20, 80% of the my non-homemade meals centered around burgers.

petegz28
07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I went there once..didn't care for it. It was okay but nothing special

BCD
07-21-2012, 07:06 PM
The privately owned non-chain is the way to go.

BCD
07-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Anyone been to an Elevation Burger?

Thatguy
07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Over priced bullshit burger for the suburban trolls who are too afraid to venture to the city , where the best burgers are. Another reason why I hate living in Johnson county.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-21-2012, 09:06 PM
sucks

Pants
07-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Over priced bullshit burger for the suburban trolls who are too afraid to venture to the city , where the best burgers are. Another reason why I hate living in Johnson county.

:rolleyes:

Al Bundy
07-21-2012, 09:22 PM

You ever been to Pauls Drive In over on Blue Ridge?

lcarus
07-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Certainly better than any of the usual FF joints.

I like them better than Five guys or Red Robin.

I still havent had Five Guys but Red Robin is overpriced as hell.

There's a place in downtown Tulsa called Fat Guys Burger Bar. They stuff their burgers with cheese and butter. They're quite amazing, though they induce heart attacks.

TinyEvel
07-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Why does their logo look like Gamestop's?

Jewish Rabbi
07-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Why does their logo look like Gamestop's?

Heh. There is a strip mall in Ankeny (Des Moines suburb) that has both Smashburger and GameStop, with only one store in between. This makes it pretty obvious the logos are the same.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-22-2012, 07:22 PM

There's a place in downtown Tulsa called Fat Guys Burger Bar. They stuff their burgers with cheese and butter. They're quite amazing, though they induce heart attacks.

I don't get the RR hate. They serve a good, restaurant sized burger, and AYCE fries. You'd pay $8 or $9 for that anywhere decent.

BCD
07-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Red Robin isn't overpriced at all.

lcarus
07-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Red Robin isn't overpriced at all.

I ended up paying like 13 bucks the last time I was there. Burger, fries, and drink plus a tip, and not even a very good tip. Not worth it at all.

BCD
07-23-2012, 02:29 AM
I ended up paying like 13 bucks the last time I was there. Burger, fries, and drink plus a tip, and not even a very good tip. Not worth it at all.

Its a sit-down restaurant with a wait staff.

Free drink refills and bottomless fries that they bring to you.

Much higher quality than FF.

Its worth the extra $5.

Its hardly overpriced.

jspchief
07-23-2012, 03:13 AM
I think smashburger is good. Its better than fast food, for a little more money. Its not like it gets In N Out hype.

Its better than Culvers, at least in my area.

And I think Red Robin sucks. Mediocre food + horrible atmosphere.

tooge
07-23-2012, 06:59 AM
the words "great", "fast food", and "burger", should not be spoken together. A solid fast food burger like Red Robins Royal with a fried egg on it are good, but "great"? Nope. There was this CP member with a huge head that made a "great" burger once. It was two very thin patties stuffed with mushrooms, cheese, onions, and a slew of other shit. It was then grilled, as all burgers should be. If you want a good alcohol absorbing late night slime burger, then they are a dime a dozen. High Boy by Arrowhead, Five Guys, Sonic, Town Topic, In n Out, etc., and hundreds more. Nothing fancy about smashing a burger on a flat top, brushing butter on a bun, and trowin some cheese on it.

Dayze
07-23-2012, 07:04 AM
I like them both; but Smash gets an edge over 5 guys. very narrowly.

however, if given the choice and had the time I would go to Westport Flea Market.

Predarat
07-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Its hard to beat Bionic Burger in Wichita. Stuarts Cafe, out in the middle of nowhere in SE Kansas had good burgers too, but its now a bait shop called Master Bait and Liqour. And that REALLY is the name, I have a pic to prove it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Predarat5/FunnyRoadSign.jpg

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 08:05 AM
I like Five Guys better, but Smashburger is pretty good too.

They have priced themselves out up here for us. Last week, stopped in to grab lunch to go. $12+ for burger, fries and small DC.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
They have priced themselves out up here for us. Last week, stopped in to grab lunch to go. $12+ for burger, fries and small DC.

thats why I don't get the RR hate...last time I tried Smashburger it ran me over $10. And it's fast food.

Dayze
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
heck...I'd take a Steak and Shake triple and fries for dirt cheap. love me some Steak and Shake.

lcarus
07-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Its a sit-down restaurant with a wait staff.

Free drink refills and bottomless fries that they bring to you.

Much higher quality than FF.

Its worth the extra $5.

Its hardly overpriced.

I can get a better burger and fries for 6 bucks.

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Its hard to beat Bionic Burger in Wichita. Stuarts Cafe, out in the middle of nowhere in SE Kansas had good burgers too, but its now a bait shop called Master Bait and Liqour. And that REALLY is the name, I have a pic to prove it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Predarat5/FunnyRoadSign.jpg

Is Master Bait and Liquor still open? I drove by there on Saturday and it looked closed down.

Predarat
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Is Master Bait and Liquor still open? I drove by there on Saturday and it looked closed down.

I'm not sure, I have not been by it in a few years.

BCD
07-23-2012, 11:54 AM
I can get a better burger and fries for 6 bucks.

I can get a McDouble for 99 cents.

BFD

qabbaan
07-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I ate at smashburger the other day, it was great. Went back a few days later.

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
thats why I don't get the RR hate...last time I tried Smashburger it ran me over $10. And it's fast food.

That is just too much IMO. I would cook it myself prior to paying that again.

BCD
07-23-2012, 12:03 PM
If price is an issue, go to McDonald's.

mnchiefsguy
07-23-2012, 12:14 PM
heck...I'd take a Steak and Shake triple and fries for dirt cheap. love me some Steak and Shake.

That is the best value meal fast food deal around...skip the soda, and you can get a triple with cheese and fries for a little over five bucks.

Dayze
07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
affirmative.

lcarus
07-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I can get a McDouble for 99 cents.

BFD

You get what you pay for with a McDouble. I don't feel that's the case with Red Robin.

lcarus
07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

There's places where you can get great burgers for under 10 bucks.

BCD
07-23-2012, 12:37 PM

There are options a RR.

Different selections/styles of burgers.

For 13 bucks, its well worth it.

If I'm interested in saving money, I'll grill one myself.

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM

ROFL, It's not just price, it is value, as with everything.

Actually, Wendy's probably offers the best value. They don't have RRs up here.

lcarus
07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
There are options a RR.

Different selections/styles of burgers.

For 13 bucks, its well worth it.

If I'm interested in saving money, I'll grill one myself.

Yeah you should grill them yourself anyway. They'll probably be better than what they serve, and you have all the options you can think of. But if you must eat out, I could tell you several places around here that are cheaper and better.

But they can kiss my tits if they want me to shell out 13-15 bucks for a burger, fries, and drink at their average burger chain.

BCD
07-23-2012, 12:50 PM
ROFL, It's not just price, it is value, as with everything.

Actually, Wendy's probably offers the best value. They don't have RRs up here.

Wendy's is a shitton better than McDs.

That said, you're gonna pay $8 for a large double Baconator meal.

BCD
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah you should grill them yourself anyway. They'll probably be better than what they serve, and you have all the options you can think of. But if you must eat out, I could tell you several places around here that are cheaper and better.

But they can kiss my tits if they want me to shell out 13-15 bucks for a burger, fries, and drink at their average burger chain.

To each his own.

I would rather pay them extra than pay the usual FF joint for their stuff.

lcarus
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
To each his own.

I would rather pay them extra than pay the usual FF joint for their stuff.

Even some fast food places are pretty steep. Backyard Burger here in town, it costs like 9 dollars to get a #1, which is just your basic one patty burger and fries with a beverage. I think they charge something ridiculous extra if you want cheese on it.

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Wendy's is a shitton better than McDs.

That said, you're gonna pay $8 for a large double Baconator meal.

I agree, Wendy's is several notches up on the ladder from McDs.

I won't be eating any Baconators though, already been through the repair procedure from too much of that kind of stuff.

But to be honest, a double, fries and large drink is about $8 compared to almost $13 at 5 guys with a small $2 soda. I just don't see the 5 guys being 60% better than Wendys. Its better, but not that much better.

vailpass
07-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree, Wendy's is several notches up on the ladder from McDs.

I won't be eating any Baconators though, already been through the repair procedure from too much of that kind of stuff.

But to be honest, a double, fries and large drink is about $8 compared to almost $13 at 5 guys with a small $2 soda. I just don't see the 5 guys being 60% better than Wendys. Its better, but not that much better.

Damn you all. I haven't eaten a burger in probably 6 months but this thread is driving me there today.

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Damn you all. I haven't eaten a burger in probably 6 months but this thread is driving me there today.

Enjoy!

I swear, I could eat them every day, some days twice. If they had In-N-Out burgers around here, I would have to turn myself into the burger rehab.

vailpass
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Enjoy!

I swear, I could eat them every day, some days twice. If they had In-N-Out burgers around here, I would have to turn myself into the burger rehab.

:D Oh man I like In-and-Out too. The last two times I've eaten a burger it was Whataburger and In-and_out, both times it was me bringing lunch for the contractor and his guys that were working on our house.

I'll pay for it at they gym later but I'm going for the burger damnit.

Dayze
07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I had my first Steak and Shake burger on Saturday. crap it was good.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Hey, we all have our limits...some it's $10 burgers, some it's store managers...

To each his own.

lcarus
07-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey, we all have our limits...some it's $10 burgers, some it's store managers...

To each his own.

:hmmm: I suppose

:hmmm:

mikeyis4dcats.
07-23-2012, 01:54 PM
:hmmm: I suppose

:hmmm:

I still love you Icky

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
:D Oh man I like In-and-Out too. The last two times I've eaten a burger it was Whataburger and In-and_out, both times it was me bringing lunch for the contractor and his guys that were working on our house.

I'll pay for it at they gym later but I'm going for the burger damnit.

That is unfair, you have them out there! How was it? :drool:

lcarus
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I still love you Icky

PBJ

vailpass
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Shit. I asked my wife to bring me Smashburger for lunch. She did alright. Something called a Smash Chicken. Woman thinks she's taking care of me by switching chicken for burger but really she's driving me to drink. At least she had them put jalapenos on it.

HemiEd
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Shit. I asked my wife to bring me Smashburger for lunch. She did alright. Something called a Smash Chicken. Woman thinks she's taking care of me by switching chicken for burger but really she's driving me to drink. At least she had them put jalapenos on it.

She is killing you softly.

Ceej
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Jalapenos are musts on any sort of burger.

vailpass
07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
She is killing you softly.

:D No doubt, no doubt.

vailpass
07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Jalapenos are musts on any sort of burger.

Over my time here in Arizona I've grown to like japs on my food sometimes, and have grown to require salsas and sauces with progressively more heat. Not the crazy hot shit, never that, but something with some snap to it that cleans your sinus at the same time.

BCD
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Just had In N Out Burger.

Very impressive.

jspchief
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
The Smashburger in my town went out of business. Maybe lasted 3 years? I liked it, but the location wasn't the best.

Now its a Pepperjack's Grill. Anyone ever eat at one?