PDA

View Full Version : Life I Joined AARP Today!

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I know, another step closer to death.
But I saved $80 on my car insurance, which more than paid for 5 years of membership.
Now I'm going to start eating dinner at 4pm.
HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Deberg_1990
04-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Ill make sure not to call you after 8PM, since u will be in bed by then.

Mr. Plow
04-14-2011, 09:50 AM
TURN YOUR DAMN BLINKER OFF! IT'S BEEN ON FOR 5 MILES!

Mosbonian
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
George:

Been a member for almost 5 years....let them laugh! There are some nice benefits to having membership....especially when you hit the Double Nickel.

Mr. Plow
04-14-2011, 10:04 AM
http://watchmojo.com/blogs/images/elderly-man-driving.jpg

Mr. Plow
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/old-people-bird.jpg

jallmon
AARP contributes heavily to the democratic party. It is a liberal fundraising service. I quit 5 years ago...

Mr. Plow
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
http://m.pimpmyspace.org/pimp/1/69/69d00c7afd31b5d45c07.jpg

tooge
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
now you can go get your discount at Old Country Buffet

Simplex3
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Now I'm going to start eating dinner at 4pm.

Make sure you eat cat food. Even though it's more expensive than human food I hear that's what you're supposed to eat since you're a poor, poor, pitiful senior.

:shrug:

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
AARP contributes heavily to the democratic party. It is a liberal fundraising service. I quit 5 years ago...

See that's where we're different.

I'm a communist, basically.

BTW: It's cold in here, somebody get me my snuggie!

Rain Man
04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
As a courtesy to gblowfish, would everyone please type in a larger font in this thread?

tooge
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
AND MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK UP SONNY!

Sannyasi
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Wasn't this fun? Well, I think it's gblowfish's nap time now. Thanks for coming everybody

alpha_omega
04-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Your meals on wheels lunch delivery should be arriving shortly.

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
As a courtesy to gblowfish, would everyone please type in a larger font in this thread?

Type slowly. I have a dial up connection.

Donger
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Great. Would you please stop the aftershocks in Japan?

Rain Man
04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey, in all seriousness, what do you get for signing up? I'm still a pup at 48, but my wife is now 50 and she's gotten a couple of solicitations from them. If we can start getting discounts on stuff I'm all for it.

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey, in all seriousness, what do you get for signing up? I'm still a pup at 48, but my wife is now 50 and she's gotten a couple of solicitations from them. If we can start getting discounts on stuff I'm all for it.

I was paying my car insurance last night, and saw in the paperwork that they give a discount (my insurer is Auto Owners) for AARP membership. So I called my agent, and he said it would save me more than $80/year. That alone was worth it for me, since a five year membership was around $65. Or, if you want to go year by year, it's $16 a year.

They have lots of specials, and lots of stuff gets discounted if you are a member, kind of like AAA discounts at hotels and rental cars and such.

Rain Man
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Hmmm. I may have to get my wife to join, even though she doesn't look a day over 35.

seclark
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I was paying my car insurance last night, and saw in the paperwork that they give a discount (my insurer is Auto Owners) for AARP membership. So I called my agent, and he said it would save me more than $80/year. That alone was worth it for me, since a five year membership was around $65. Or, if you want to go year by year, it's $16 a year.

They have lots of specials, and lots of stuff gets discounted if you are a member, kind of like AAA discounts at hotels and rental cars and such.

hell, i save $3 on every depends purchase.
sec

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Hmmm. I may have to get my wife to join, even though she doesn't look a day over 35.

Here's a pretty good overview:

One could argue that AARP is the upside of aging. Once there are officially 50 birthday candles flaming away on your cake, you are eligible to join the ranks of millions of people around the world who can remember things like Rolodexes, phone cords, double features, MASH, and what it was like to not take your shoes off before every flight. Good times. Funny, how 50 just doesn't seem so "old" anymore. Did you know Valerie Bertinelli is an AARP member? True.

AARP acknowledges the shift in our attitude about aging, as well as new realities. After scouring its website for the official meaning behind the acronym, I discovered that although the group has maintained its four-letter name, it is no longer identifying itself as the American Association of Retired Persons. After all, who retires at 50 these days?

Luckily although retirement is postponed, the benefits of AARP are not. For only $16 per year, less if you opt for a five year membership, you are eligible for significant discounts on everything from gym memberships and personal trainers (I wonder if Oprah and Bono are using their discounts?) to more than 14,000 restaurants nationwide, hotels, cruises, travel packages, cell phone/Internet services, home security systems, rental cars and groceries to name a few.

Discounts on legal services, insurance and health care are also biggies for which AARP not only obtains price breaks, but also actively advocates regarding legislation that affects their members.

A free magazine subscription, AARP Bulletin, and website round out membership offerings with information on everything volunteer opportunities to lifestyle, health, finance, travel, relationships, home and garden, politics and world news.

AARP members are also eligible for discounts on movie tickets, and with the ever-increasing cost of cinemas, that benefit alone could pay for the price of membership. BYO candy.

"People join AARP because they want to live their best lives after 50, " AARP spokesperson Drew Nannis told WalletPop. "As they strive to improve their lives as they age, AARP is there to provide information on the best of what's next -- in their own lives, in their families' lives, and in the world around them."

SuperChief
04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
You guys should really stop picking on gblowfish. Just because the guy was born in the 1800's doesn't mean his feelings are close to death, too.

Stinger
04-14-2011, 11:06 AM

She walked in while you were typing this didn't she....

Hydrae
04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
AARP card members get 20% off the entire bill at Denny's and coffee is $1.00 per cup for the entire party as well (when the hell did coffee get so expensive, it should be $.10 still)!

I got mine last month just before the wife and I went to Dallas for the weekend. We saved $30 on the motel room and I paid $16 for one year membership. SCORE! :)

Msmith
04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
You guys should be ashamed for making fun of old farts like this. Wait till you are in wheelchair...

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm the new Skip Towne, apparently!

Rain Man
04-14-2011, 12:00 PM
She walked in while you were typing this didn't she....

Ever since she started wearing shoes with soft soles, I can never be sure.

mikey23545
04-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Same here. They also sold out their membership by supporting Obamacare simply so they could enrich themselves.

Here is a conservative, non-communist alternative:

http://www.generationamerica.org/homepage

Garcia Bronco
04-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats...when they talk about the special interest, they are talking about you. :P

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Same here. They also sold out their membership by supporting Obamacare simply so they could enrich themselves.

Isn't "selling out to enrich yourself" the basic definition of capitalism? I like the notion of universal health insurance. You go, AARP....

angelo
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
You really don't need to be a member to get discounts at restaurant or the movies.
I am 41 and they sent me a solicitation about 2 years ago with a replica card enclosed.
I just put the card in my wallet and show it whenever I want a discount. I have never been questioned once about it.

Ang

gblowfish
04-14-2011, 12:11 PM
You really don't need to be a member to get discounts at restaurant or the movies.
I am 41 and they sent me a solicitation about 2 years ago with a replica card enclosed.
I just put the card in my wallet and show it whenever I want a discount. I have never been questioned once about it.

Ang

You're shoplifting the senior pooty!

WV
04-14-2011, 12:42 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/life.lab/images/lifespan.cartangry.gif

angelo
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM

That is one way of looking at it.

I look at it as paying forward on my end years, when I am not nearly as mobile or coherent.

Ang

acesn8s
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Does the AARP give listings of when Matlock will be on in your area?

fan4ever
04-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Caaaaaaarefuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.

This is teetering on DC material...

...by the way; agreed.

CrazyPhuD
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I would think the discount on depends would be worth the yearly membership alone.

CrazyPhuD
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
BTW you may be an AARP member but I still don't think of you as an old fart.....and old shart maybe but definately not an old fart.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2011, 09:09 AM
8 seasons for only $218.....

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Wrote-Sets-Complete-Seasons/dp/B001F2WEC4

L.A. Chieffan
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
im old at hart

gblowfish
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM

OK, now THAT'S funny.

No info on which grocer discounts prunes.
No, I won't start posting in EXTRA LARGE TYPE

No, I don't wear depends....yet. Although I've always thought that would make for quite the decadent party. Lock the bathroom, everybody has to wear depends...FREE BEER!

I've been checking on lots of the stuff I use every month, and I think I'm going to save a lot of $. My ADT alarm contract just credited me back $24 for being an AARP memeber.

SPEAK UP SONNY....

QuikSsurfer
04-15-2011, 09:22 AM

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!

milkman
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been throwing away the AARP mail for a few years.

Might have to actually take a look at it, given this information.