PDA

View Full Version : Life Advice on the new neighbors

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Okay, so I just moved into the neighborhood about 6 months ago. The people next to me just moved in about 1 month ago.

How do I tell them, I've never met them by the way, that they need to mow their backyard without coming across like a dickhead neighbor. Having never met them, I don't want to start things off on a bad foot, but their lawn is shin high and it's starting to piss me off.

Interestingly, they have mowed the front lawn twice.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CrazyPhuD
04-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Put up a fence? Good fences make for good neighbors.

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
paging mr donger, mr donger you have a call on thread 2

JOhn
04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
ROFL

Okie_Apparition
04-15-2011, 06:35 AM
They should know right now about their anal neighbor. Shin high

Deberg_1990
04-15-2011, 06:40 AM
This is why God created HOA's

JOhn
04-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Buy a goat, then turn it loose in their yard

CrazyPhuD
04-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Anti-freeze will definitely kill the grass but then again so will fire.

jspchief
04-15-2011, 07:04 AM
How do I tell them... that they need to mow their backyard You don't. Unless there's a HOA, you really don't have any say in how they care for their lawn.

My guess is they do the front to keep up appearances, but are too lazy to do the back. If they gave a shit how you felt about it, they probably wouldn't let it get to that point to begin with. Any way you approach the subject, whether they take it as rude or neighborly, is unlikely to make any long term impact on their laziness.

It sucks to live next to those sort of people, but you really have no say in it. Maybe you could check with city hall to see about ordinances, but I doubt it's bad enough (yet) to warrant any action.

allen_kcCard
04-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Walk over to the neighbors on the OTHER side of them, and place a note there saying:

Dear neighbor, please mow your damn lawn, it looks like shit. Do not ask me about this note, I will deny ever writing or placing it here.

crazycoffey
They should know right now about their anal neighbor. Shin high

come clean, you're skip - aren't you?

Sofa King
Talk to city hall, see if they have a nuisance inspector/enforcer. He can give them a "to be in compliance by... or else....." letter.

But that will just lead to them finding out it was you anyways.

Radar Chief
Put up a fence? Good fences make for good neighbors.

At least then you won’t have to look at the field mouse, flea and mosquito farm.

Radar Chief
04-15-2011, 07:14 AM

I know. I read the title and first thing I thought was the neighbors slapped down a kiddy pool in the driveway and are sitting in it downing Milwaukee’s Best by the case.

rageeumr
04-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Same thing happened to me when my new neighbor moved in. I eventually went over and just mowed it. It turns out that it was a single woman who hadn't been able to find someone to mow it for her yet. She was very thankful, which made me feel bad since I did it out of spite.

acesn8s
04-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Ask them if their mower runs out of gas before they can get to the back yard. With gas prices so high they may be able to afford to mow the back yard. :shrug:

Deberg_1990
04-15-2011, 07:18 AM
It turns out that it was a single woman who hadn't been able to find someone to mow it for her yet.

Yes, because single women are not capable of mowing a lawn....

acesn8s
04-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Same thing happened to me when my new neighbor moved in. I eventually went over and just mowed it. It turns out that it was a single woman who hadn't been able to find someone to mow it for her yet. She was very thankful, which made me feel bad since I did it out of spite.What an asshole! How dare you mow that woman's lawn. I guess next you will be trimming her bush.

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
What an asshole! How dare you mow that woman's lawn. I guess next you will be trimming her bush.

He totally got gratitude head and just doesn't want to brag....

rageeumr
04-15-2011, 07:24 AM

She is extremely petite. I think it would be really tough for her.

Fritz88
04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Poop on their yard.

LiveSteam
04-15-2011, 07:35 AM
come clean, you're skip - aren't you?

He wishes he was Skip, Likes peeps to think he is Skip. But hes not

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 07:36 AM
He wishes he was Skip, Likes peeps to think he is Skip. But hes not

how would he even know who skip is then?

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 07:38 AM
In the middle of the night, sneak over there and trim (MOW ME).

It's the equivalent of writing "wash me" into the back window of a dirty van.

You win.

Jaric
04-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Step 1: Fire, and lots of it.
Step 2: Salt the Earth.

Now they have a maintance free back yard.

Everyone wins.

Donger
04-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Put on psywar op, make it loud. This is a Romeo Foxtrot, shall we dance?

Phobia
04-15-2011, 07:42 AM
She is extremely petite. I think it would be really tough for her.

They're the best. Small hands are good for my self esteem.

KCUnited
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Funny to see this thread.

My wife and I are house hunting and last night we were shown this beautiful craftsman bungalow. Upgraded everything, absolutely gorgeous on a nice, quiet street. The only problem was the neighbor next door had to have been a hoarder. Their backyard was a wreck, you could see all the shit piled up in their house through their windows, and they had a grass roof that hadn't been maintained. On top of that, they had religious/political charged bumper stickers all over the minivan in their drive. They looked like an absolute nightmare.

It was an absolute deal breaker. Once we commented on it, our realtor said he'd shown the house a couples days before and the potential buyer had the same reaction. This neighbor is likely going to cost this seller tens of thousands of dollars in their sale price.

Obviously a lot different than an unkept lawn, but **** shitty neighbors.

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 07:49 AM
They're the best. Small hands are good for my self esteem.

small hands make your dick look almost normal sized too? That's why I like midgets...

acesn8s
04-15-2011, 07:50 AM
small hands make your dick look almost normal sized too? That's why I like midgets...It very could be the reason FAX hates midgets. That shit creeps him out.

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 07:52 AM
It very could be the reason FAX hates midgets. That shit creeps him out.

not that I think about poster's member sizes, but if I were to imagine FAX, he's black and lives up to all the hype about black dudes and the size of their wieners....

chiefsnorth
04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
This is why God created HOA's

They were primarily created by men, actually, to make money. Also, to allow insignificant people who are unhappy with their lives to exercise some control over something.

Bane
04-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Write CUT YOUR GRASS in their yard with some round up in huge letters while they're gone and claim to know nothing of it if asked.
Posted via Mobile Device

sedated
04-15-2011, 07:55 AM
do what my family does - make fun of the person for their flaw until they develop a disorder

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Same thing happened to me when my new neighbor moved in. I eventually went over and just mowed it. It turns out that it was a single woman who hadn't been able to find someone to mow it for her yet. She was very thankful, which made me feel bad since I did it out of spite.

I saw the dude out mowing a couple days ago and actually joked to the wife, "I wonder if he's going to mow the back yard this time." Then I got home in daylight yesterday, and there it was .... looking like ass.

You know, my wife and I hate yard work. Hate. It. But dammit, we do it every week because it's the right thing to do when you live in a nice neighborhood.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Talk to city hall, see if they have a nuisance inspector/enforcer. He can give them a "to be in compliance by... or else....." letter.

But that will just lead to them finding out it was you anyways.

If you do a call to the code enforcer, do you have to give a name?

Groves
04-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Starting off on the right foot is way overrated.

The old habit of a good relationship that sours over the years from various scrapes and petty disagreements needs to die.

In todays world we sidestep those little steps and go straight to "I'm only tolerating you. Welcome to the neighborhood. Here's 3 eggs and a cup of sugar for the future. This will be the last time we talk."

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Starting off on the right foot is way overrated.

The old habit of a good relationship that sours over the years from various scrapes and petty disagreements needs to die.

In todays world we sidestep those little steps and go straight to "I'm only tolerating you. Welcome to the neighborhood. Here's 3 eggs and a cup of sugar for the future. This will be the last time we talk."

ROFL

They've been there a month, and I have yet to meet them. The wife talked to them briefly on move-in day.

CaliforniaChief
04-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd hire a really talented cropduster.

milkman
04-15-2011, 08:17 AM
You have two options.

Option 1, be a dickhead neighbor.

Option 2, get the fuck over it.

notorious
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Anti-freeze will definitely kill the grass but then again so will fire.

You have to do both. It's the only way to be sure.

Radar Chief
04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Have a crop duster spray his yard with Roundup, its “nuke it from orbit” on a smaller scale.

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
If you do a call to the code enforcer, do you have to give a name?

Give them the address and go from there. Every city is different on how they proceed. Our city doesn't ask for names. They focus on the problem and go from there. I live in a small town though.

Tell them the address, what's wrong, and they should be able to go from there.

Your problem is so simple, it shouldn't be hard for them to take care of. a simple letter should get them to take care of it, but they'll know it was one of their neighbors. Nobody would know about their backyard unless it was a neighbor.

EDIT: If they've only been there a month, and they're already letting shit go like that, chances are they've had problems at other places as well, and they're familiar with how the nuisance enforcement works. They'll push it as far as they can until someone forces them to clean it up.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Give them the address and go from there. Every city is different on how they proceed. Our city doesn't ask for names. They focus on the problem and go from there. I live in a small town though.

Tell them the address, what's wrong, and they should be able to go from there.

Your problem is so simple, it shouldn't be hard for them to take care of. a simple letter should get them to take care of it, but they'll know it was one of their neighbors. Nobody would know about their backyard unless it was a neighbor.

EDIT: If they've only been there a month, and they're already letting shit go like that, chances are they've had problems at other places as well, and they're familiar with how the nuisance enforcement works. They'll push it as far as they can until someone forces them to clean it up.

You can see the back yard from the street, so I don't think it's a definite that it would be one of their neighbors... but yeah, I think you're right. :grr:

Just mow the goddamn yard.

Lono
04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
I'd be more pissed at ya for not just coming and asking. However, my wife has OCD and our yard has to be perfect so you would like to be my neighbor.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
You have two options.

Option 1, be a dickhead neighbor.

Option 2, get the **** over it.

Quick call to police and our town does have an ordinance on lawn height. Still don't know what it is yet and haven't decided whether or not to do it myself or let the Popo deal with him, but the code guy is Option 3.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I'd be more pissed at ya for not just coming and asking. However, my wife has OCD and our yard has to be perfect so you would like to be my neighbor.

Yeah... that's part of the problem. I'd rather be upfront about it, but I don't want the first time I meet them to be, "Oh, and by the way, your yard looks like crap. Can you mow that shit or what?"

notorious
04-15-2011, 08:31 AM
We had the same problem when we got a new neighbor.

I ended up mowing their back yard, and when he came over to apologize/thank me I just told him,"You just moved in, you are busy, this is our way of saying 'Welcome to the Neighborhood'". We proceeded to have a beer together.

The guy never let his lawn grow high again. People are strange, they would rather please a person they like/respect then apease an asshole next door.

milkman
04-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Quick call to police and our town does have an ordinance on lawn height. Still don't know what it is yet and haven't decided whether or not to do it myself or let the Popo deal with him, but the code guy is Option 3.

I'll give you another option.

I'm looking for a career change.

Asshole for hire.

Pay expenses and a small fee, and I'll tell your neighbor.

Deberg_1990
04-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah... that's part of the problem. I'd rather be upfront about it, but I don't want the first time I meet them to be, "Oh, and by the way, your yard looks like crap. Can you mow that shit or what?"

Why have you waited so long to meet them and introduce yourself?

Lono
04-15-2011, 08:33 AM

I ended up mowing their back yard, and when he came over to apologize/thank me I just told him,"You just moved in, you are busy, this is our way of saying 'Welcome to the Neighborhood'". We proceeded to have a beer together.

The guy never let his lawn grow high again. People are strange, they would rather please a person they like/respect then apease an asshole next door.

Pretty solid advice.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Why have you waited so long to meet them and introduce yourself?

They're rarely home when I'm home. Just hasn't happened. We met the other folks very early on.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:37 AM

That's a pretty good solution.

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 08:38 AM
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11272&stateId=1&stateName=Alabama

---- search for grass, it's the top option

Sec. 12-61. - Overgrown grass or weeds prohibited and declared a nuisance.

It shall be unlawful and declared a nuisance and injurious to public health, safety and general welfare for any occupant, owner, lessee, or person in control of any property within the city or any occupant, owner, lessee or person in control whose property abuts city streets to allow an abundance of overgrown grass or weeds to exist if any of the following conditions are met: (1) the grass or weeds provide breeding grounds and shelter for rats, mice, snakes, mosquitoes and other vermin, insects and pests; (2) the grass or weeds attain such heights and dryness so as to constitute serious fire threat or hazard; (3) the grass or weeds bear wingy or downy seeds, when mature, that cause the spread of weeds, and when breathed, irritation to the throat, lungs and eyes of the public; (4) the grass or weeds are capable of hiding debris, such as broken glass or metal, which could inflict injury on any person going upon the property; (5) the grass or weeds are unsightly; or (6) if not grown as ornamental plant growth, the grass or weeds exceed 12 inches in height. Said property shall include, but not be limited to, sidewalks, city right-of-way strips, alleys, parking lots, driveways, grounds, fences, walls, property lines, privately owned storm drains, and vacant lots within the city.

EDIT: If their grass violates any of these, it's breaking the law.

I'll tell you what, tell the cops i saw a rat come out of their yard. There, now it's against the law.

Deberg_1990
04-15-2011, 08:38 AM
That's a pretty good solution.

I agree...introduce yourself, welcome them to the neighborhood, then ask them if they need any help with anything like mowing the lawn, etc....

Lzen
04-15-2011, 08:39 AM

I like the way you think. :thumb:

bevischief
04-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Burn it, that is the only to be sure.

Lzen
04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
(1) the grass or weeds provide breeding grounds and shelter for.....mosquitoes....., insects and pests....

WTH? Wouldn't that be just about any height of grass?:spock:

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
you could always take a dump in a box and place it in their mailbox....

Groves
04-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Assume much?

These new neighbors being "habitual offenders wherever they go" is only 1 of about 648 reasons that their lawn could be long.

Instead of playing psychic for a day, he should just go and ask them. You'll be amazed at what human contact can reveal.

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 08:46 AM
WTH? Wouldn't that be just about any height of grass?:spock:

Is the grass height hindering flow of water, is there standing water, is it over 12 inches (which is really high for a grass ordinance) etc...

They know there are mosquitoes in all grass, but is the grass the reason there are more of them. Is it aiding growth in population etc..

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Assume much?

These new neighbors being "habitual offenders wherever they go" is only 1 of about 648 reasons that their lawn could be long.

Instead of playing psychic for a day, he should just go and ask them. You'll be amazed at what human contact can reveal.

more often than not, they're repeat offenders IMO.

But yes, talking to them would be the easiest course of action.

Lzen
04-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Is the grass height hindering flow of water, is there standing water, is it over 12 inches (which is really high for a grass ordinance) etc...

They know there are mosquitoes in all grass, but is the grass the reason there are more of them. Is it aiding growth in population etc..

Yeah, that makes sense. He said shin high. Doesn't sound like its quite a foot tall. Only one way to find out. Take a tape measure over there. :D

Phobia

That's what I was going to say.

LiveSteam
Write CUT YOUR GRASS in their yard with some round up in huge letters while they're gone and claim to know nothing of it if asked.
Posted via Mobile Device

This happened last year to an old lady that lives next door to Bugeaters moms house. She had flier's all over the hood. Stating she would pay $1000.00 cash for any tips on who did the ROUNDUP to her yard. It wrecked the old bags yard.

suds79
04-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Just spray roundup on it. They'd probably thank you. :p

No seriously just call the code enforcer. Let us know what happens.

Trench
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Coming from you, this is freaking hilarious. I gotta tell Dad.

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

:spock:

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Dude, when I was in Warrensburg (outside city limits and no one gave a crap), we didn't either. That was the last time we mowed - 2006. Now we live in a nice neighborhood, and believe it or not, that shit hasn't gone more than a week and a half without being mowed.

So shut it.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 08:56 AM
:spock:

(Trench is my brother).

Saul Good
04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Build a giant lower-case "t" out of wood, put it in their yard, and light it on fire. They will understand that the "t" stands for "time to mow".

Bane
04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
This happened last year to an old lady that lives next door to Bugeaters moms house. She had flier's all over the hood. Stating she would pay $1000.00 cash for any tips on who did the ROUNDUP to her yard. It wrecked the old bags yard.

Well that's too bad,I kinda hate it for the "old bag". My neighbors only mow when I do and its kinda funny cause sometimes I'll wait a extra day or so just to see if they'll mow first.It never fails though,as soon as I start cutting,here they come.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
(Trench is my brother).

ahhhhhhhhhh

Demonpenz
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
It is wierd how many people think they are good people, but rarely do the right thing. Instead of being an asshole, give them one of your playboys (the one with the least amount of Jizz) and Poisen's "look what the hat dragged in) tape. You will be surprised at the amount of awesome comes out of being awesome

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Well that's too bad,I kinda hate it for the "old bag". My neighbors only mow when I do and its kinda funny cause sometimes I'll wait a extra day or so just to see if they'll mow first.It never fails though,as soon as I start cutting,here they come.
Posted via Mobile Device

you should mow every 2 days for a couple weeks.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Instead of being an asshole, give them one of your playboys (the one with the least amount of Jizz) and Poisen's "look what the hat dragged in) tape.

"Cat" you fucking uncultured rube.

What the fucking "Cat Dragged In."

AND FUCKING SPELL POISON right fer' fuggs sake...

Bane
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
you should mow every 2 days for a couple weeks.

Yeah that would be kinda funny and it would be a good way to get more frequent peeks at his old ladies tig ol bitties.She always mows in them tiny shorts and a sports bra looking thing....Thank you!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
"Cat" you ****ing uncultured rube.

What the ****ing "Cat Dragged In."

AND ****ING SPELL POISON right fer' fuggs sake...

Heck, I figure that if I can just make out a Demonpenz post without a secret decoder ring, I'm doing good.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Heck, I figure that if I can just make out a Demonpenz post without a secret decoder ring, I'm doing good.

We're beyond that.

He fucked up and let people know he had more than one lonely brain cell bouncing around in there...

Detoxing
04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Why is his lawn any of your business? Does he tell you how to **** your wife? If not, don't tell him how to mow his lawn. You have a fence between the two of you right?

Frosty
04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
We're beyond that.

He ****ed up and let people know he had more than one lonely brain cell bouncing around in there...

I just figured that you were a passionate hair metal fan.

Demonpenz
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
What did the hat bring in? Moar hats!

Demonpenz
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
What did the Fedora bring in? please let it be indiana jones. Awwwww just Michael jackson in Smooth Criminal again.

Cave Johnson
04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I was that neighbor for a decent chunk of time after I bought my house. Closed late August, and it was early October before I resorted to borrowing a date's mower. Also took me a while to choose one the following spring.

Bottom line, they'd probably appreciate the offer of helping mow the back.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 10:00 AM
I just figured that you were a passionate hair metal fan.

I don't see how that's important.

I'm calling the ASPCACLU...

MOhillbilly
04-15-2011, 10:01 AM

this

Brock
04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't use my mower on shin high grass. Let the city come mow that crap and charge them for it.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't use my mower on shin high grass. Let the city come mow that crap and charge them for it.

What?...

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I was that neighbor for a decent chunk of time after I bought my house. Closed late August, and it was early October before I resorted to borrowing a date's mower. Also took me a while to choose one the following spring.

They've got a mower and have mowed the front twice, maybe three times. The back yard looks like shit, though.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Why is his lawn any of your business? Does he tell you how to **** your wife? If not, don't tell him how to mow his lawn. You have a fence between the two of you right?

I have to look at his shitty yard, which is quickly becoming a haven for bugs and critters, which don't respect property lines. And like it or not, crappy looking property in your neighborhood decreases value for everyone.

Donger
04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I have to look at his shitty yard, which is quickly becoming a haven for bugs and critters, which don't respect property lines. And like it or not, crappy looking property in your neighborhood decreases value for everyone.

Are they neglecting anything else or demonstrating any other behavior which is abnormal by your neighborhoods' standards?

Brock
04-15-2011, 10:23 AM
What?...

What didn't you understand? The city probably has ordinances about grass height. Get the city to come over there and either tell him to mow it or they'll do it for him.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Are they neglecting anything else or demonstrating any other behavior which is abnormal by your neighborhoods' standards?

No, not that I'm aware of.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
What didn't you understand? The city probably has ordinances about grass height. Get the city to come over there and either tell him to mow it or they'll do it for him.

Ordinance says 12 inches for lawn height. I'm not inclined to go that route. Really trying to figure out the best way to approach it with the neighbor... just mow it for him as a good deed when he's not home (as someone else suggested), or go over, introduce myself and offer to help.

Radar Chief
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Personally I wouldn’t give a shit about it, until my neighbors invading army of ticks, fleas and mosquitoes goes all Blitzkrieg on my friends and family while we’re trying to get our grill on.
To me at least, it’s not so much about looks as keeping that shit down so pests don’t take up residence in it.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Personally I wouldn’t give a shit about it, until my neighbors invading army of ticks, fleas and mosquitoes goes all Blitzkrieg on my friends and family while we’re trying to get our grill on.
To me at least, it’s not so much about looks as keeping that shit down so pests don’t take up residence in it.

Which is part of my concern. I have a company VP coming to a BBQ Saturday.

Donger
04-15-2011, 10:36 AM

And you are going to ask him to mow your neighbor's yard?

ChiTown
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Politely approach him with what you just stated. You have guests coming over this weekend, and you would appreciate it if his Forrest was cut to an appropriate level. Offer to lend him a hand this one time in order to re-enforce the point.

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
OK, now we are getting somewhere. Politely approach him with what you just stated. You have guests coming over this weekend, and you would appreciate it if his Forrest was cut to an appropriate level. Offer to lend him a hand this one time in order to re-enforce the point.

^ this.

Very reasonable request.

Chiefnj2
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
If I moved in somewhere and my neighbor never said hello to me, or welcome, and then the first thing out of his mouth was "can you mow your lawn, I have an important function this weekend", you can guess exactly what time I'm mowing that lawn and what I'm wearing isn't going to be pretty.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Here letting it grow out is much more expensive than cutting it..

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
If I moved in somewhere and my neighbor never said hello to me, or welcome, and then the first thing out of his mouth was "can you mow your lawn, I have an important function this weekend", you can guess exactly what time I'm mowing that lawn and what I'm wearing isn't going to be pretty.

Right, which takes us back to my main point. How do you do that without the first impression being "dickhead neighbor."

Donger
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Right, which takes us back to my main point. How do you do that without the first impression being "dickhead neighbor."

He's already taken that title and run with it, don't you think?

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 10:46 AM

talk to him today, make a great 1st impression. then in 2 days bring up the lawn.

Donger
04-15-2011, 10:48 AM
talk to him today, make a great 1st impression. then in 2 days bring up the lawn.

This is reasonable. Think of a way to insert lawn care into the conversation, too. Something like, "Yeah, I'm a real freak about my lawn." See if that prompts him to respond.

Okie_Apparition
04-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Indian corn makes a great fence. Just tell them it's sweet corn.

DeezNutz
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM

This sounds very reasonable.

However, the problem here is that we're obviously not dealing with very reasonable people, as demonstrated by the neglect of their property. They're fucking slobs and a blight on the neighborhood, who possess a "I-don't-give-a-fuck" attitude. Fine.

I just wouldn't expect a reasoned response.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
He's already taken that title and run with it, don't you think?

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not very hospitable. They haven't introduced themselves just as much as I haven't introduced myself. :shrug:

My wife introduced herself, maybe I should make her do it. :evil:

If I didn't already have 10 people coming for the BBQ, I'd invite them over and get things started on the right foot.

TrebMaxx
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I've read through the whole thread and may of missed it. Do you not have a HOA?

ChiTown

JFC, this really isn't that difficult.

"Hey, I'm FMB. Sorry it's taken so long for me to introduce myself. Welcome to the neighborhood. Part of the reason it has taken so long for the welcome is because I have been extremely busy with the family and work. You now the gig. Anyhoo, I now it's rough moving and it takes a shit ton of time to unpack with work and family obligations, shit, I still have boxes in my basement from when I moved in here almost 3 yrs ago. LOMFL!!!! Anyhoo, you see, I have my boss coming over this weekend, and we plan to grill out in the backyrad. Well, I'm a litttle concerned that with all the grass you have in back, well it's going to cause a lot of bugs a skeeters to come out while we are back here this weekend. I wondering if I might ask you to cut your grass before my guest come over. I'd gladly help out this time if you;d like. Also, next weekend, why don't you bring the Mrs. and your kids and come over for a dinner on us. We'd love to get to know you.

Thanks, and go F yourself if you say no."

:evil:

Fire Me Boy!
I've read through the whole thread and may of missed it. Do you not have a HOA?

No HOA, just city codes.

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
JFC, this really isn't that difficult.

"Hey, I'm FMB. Sorry it's taken so long for me to introduce myself. Welcome to the neighborhood. Part of the reason it has taken so long for the welcome is because I have been extremely busy with the family and work. You now the gig. Anyhoo, I now it's rough moving and it takes a shit ton of time to unpack with work and family obligations, shit, I still have boxes in my basement from when I moved in here almost 3 yrs ago. LOMFL!!!! Anyhoo, you see, I have my boss coming over this weekend, and we plan to grill out in the backyrad. Well, I'm a litttle concerned that with all the grass you have in back, well it's going to cause a lot of bugs a skeeters to come out while we are back here this weekend. I wondering if I might ask you to cut your grass before my guest come over. I'd gladly help out this time if you;d like. Also, next weekend, why don't you bring the Mrs. and your kids and come over for a dinner on us. We'd love to get to know you.

Thanks, and go F yourself if you say no."

:evil:

Should I write that on 3x5 cards or go old school and write it down in the palm of my hand?

Actually, this is very helpful. The last part especially, thanks.

DeezNutz
04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Should I write that on 3x5 cards or go old school and write it down in the palm of my hand?

Actually, this is very helpful. The last part especially, thanks.

Damn, I could have helped you frame the "go fuck yourself" part.

Bump
04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
plant some aids tree seeds in their back yard

Fire Me Boy!
04-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Damn, I could have helped you frame the "go **** yourself" part.

ROFL No, this part:

Also, next weekend, why don't you bring the Mrs. and your kids and come over for a dinner on us. We'd love to get to know you.

Rain Man
04-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Has anyone suggested using weed killer to spell out the words "Mow your lawn" in his grass?

Predarat
04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Key thier car with "MOW YOUR DAMN LAWN!!!"

Bane
04-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Has anyone suggested using weed killer to spell out the words "Mow your lawn" in his grass?

Absolutely!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
04-15-2011, 12:49 PM

just about every other post contains something along those lines.

Kyle DeLexus
04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
If you have kids have them go ask if they can mow for some extra money. Now your kids look like hard working upstanding citizens.

Molitoth
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Everyone is different, so it is a hard subject.

When I first moved into my neighborhood, I had my neighbors on both sides of the fence immediatly over at my house asking about my yard plans... and what I should and shouldn't do with my yard, etc. Needless to say it pissed me off. Although I did agree with them and already have in mind a plan for the backyard. I do enjoy a nice yard with curb appeal... and I don't blame them for being curious about thier new neighbor considering the old one rarely mowed the grass and left me with a bunch of weeds.

So the moral of the story is: Yes I agree'd with the neighbors concerns, I didn't want them in my face the first few weeks I've moved in to come over and be all up in my business.

Molitoth
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Just wait until he doesn't rake his leaves, and then they all blow over into your yard.

BryanBusby
04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Water their lawn with antifreeze, kick back and relax while it does the job. :)

Fire Me Boy!
04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
HE'S MOWING!!! ALL BY HIMSELF!!!

Rukdafaidas
04-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Did you have a talk with him?

crazycoffey
04-16-2011, 03:36 PM
he must read the planet...

Iowanian
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
If you say something, you're going to feud.

Mow their yard for them next time you do yours. They'll probably appreciate it and take the hint.

That said, there is an elderly couple in my neighborhood that can't mow and won't pay to have theirs done and knocked on my door and asked me to mow it "for a gift".

Because I want it done, another neighbor and I take turns mowing it.

Donger
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
HE'S MOWING!!! ALL BY HIMSELF!!!

The power of CP is truly vast.

Bwana
04-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Call your local John Deere dealer and have them drop off a swather in their backyard. That should give the deadbeats the hint.

http://anotherchanceranch.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/20/7098702.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
04-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I did not. It poured rain here last night so we were going to let it go for a couple days.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

crispystl420
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM

That's what I was going to say.

crispystl420
04-16-2011, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=

That said, there is an elderly couple in my neighborhood that can't mow and won't pay to have theirs done and knocked on my door and asked me to mow it "for a gift".

WTF?

Extra Point
04-16-2011, 05:46 PM
That guy smelled burnt ends, and he wanted in on it! Well done! (In both cases!)

Hope you got your VP a good buzz, and that you get your raise and bonus, next review and year-end!

HoneyBadger
04-16-2011, 06:20 PM

I once dated a girl who didn't mow her lawn. I finally told her to do it, and then the sex was amazing.

ChiefButthurt
04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Try sending them a copy of this.